These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Too late to the game to matter.

Author
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#61 - 2014-08-01 22:50:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:
I'm really not feeling the love. :(

Nobody loves me, I have no friends, and I live in a van down by the river.

When I do approach the game from a fun first perspective I usually just fit some ships, rush into faction warfare sites or some other places and look for things to shoot without any real other goal. Though again, that death mechanic is a tad frustrating to deal with, but anyway a part of the game.

I play games as an escape, not as a way to really compete or show off achievements. Everyone has their own motivations of course when playing EVE or any other game, and people come and go as well. I just don't see the point to continue playing at this time, or rather paying to play.

Glad you all love the game and have found something(s) about it you truly enjoy.

as for the death of ships, buy in batches
for motivation, find something, go kill a goon , or a devil, or a testie(this one is rather fun), get a role player to break character something, anything.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#62 - 2014-08-01 23:07:52 UTC
OP, did you really just cry because you can't solo compete with big alliances which consists of thousands of players many as new as you are?
Chewytowel Haklar
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#63 - 2014-08-01 23:10:36 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
OP, did you really just cry because you can't solo compete with big alliances which consists of thousands of players many as new as you are?

Yes :(

I can't find the I WIN button.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#64 - 2014-08-01 23:11:53 UTC
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:
Yes :(

I can't find the I WIN button.

Its next to the Esc key.. its labeled F1.

Apply liberally and win.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#65 - 2014-08-01 23:23:18 UTC
Thank you for trying EVE! A lot of people nowadays in the public thinks: "Meh, just another space game." but you actually took some time to try it out which I'm thankful for, I may not agree on anything you said but nonetheless did you spend some of your time trying it out..

I'm sorry that the game didn't appeal to you.

Regards

Celthric
Grim Hood
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2014-08-01 23:34:21 UTC
*Chewytowel Haklar's Wall of Text crit's your eyes for 9,000,000,000 damage*
DownTwisTeD
Doomheim
#67 - 2014-08-01 23:41:45 UTC
Tom Gerard wrote:
You have to be really smart and really charismatic to do well in this game.
.Cool

Yea, I did.. Shocked
Noriko Mai
#68 - 2014-08-01 23:46:22 UTC
WTB Goonswarm leadership. I have 1000AUR!!!1

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Dantivio
Celestial Drilling
#69 - 2014-08-01 23:49:28 UTC
This only requires one response, "git gud"
Clint Beastwood
Why Bother Inc
#70 - 2014-08-01 23:52:33 UTC
Not got time for this crap. I just play...
Play away, play, play away, play, play away, play away, play away..
Anyone remember that? Ok bye......
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#71 - 2014-08-02 00:03:22 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#72 - 2014-08-02 00:17:35 UTC
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:
But what is it all for?

The whole idea of a sandbox game is to figure that one out for yourself. I too get the most kick out of PVP. But how to give that purpose? Well, there are many ways to go about that. I myself am a social animal in MMO's, I can't stand these games with XP progression systems that guide you on rails and pretty much tell you to ignore other players untill you are ready to farm the endgame bosses, or whatever drops your fancy endgame crap.

It's the social interaction and simple cameraderie that makes it all worth it to me. Or corp is on the brink of it's second anniversary, we're not exactly old farts by comparison. But we did stake a claim proportionate to our size and capabilities, and while the tides of the sea move the bigger fish off course we had to adapt from time to time, but those ever-changing conditions and political shifts is what seperate Eve from pvp-on-rails systems where you can "own" a piece of land in name only. I once traded land (read: space assets) in turn for a military strike (read: military service). I mean how feudal can you get in a video game? Lol Which other MMO does this, and with space ships no less?

We all sucked at PVP at two months. Maybe we acted confident but we all got our salvage handed to us by more experienced players. And if you are not getting wtfpwnd from time to time, you know you are not playing Eve but just farming it. If you want to get good at PVP you are going to have to roll with the punches and take your losses in stride. Knowing your game is worth a lot though, not only because you can fight for your own purposes, but people will respect your willingness to protect your investments with nail and tooth. Once you have some backers, allies and trusted equals, and are no longer fighting for "teh lulz" but to protect what you hold, you will find out what it's all for.
Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#73 - 2014-08-02 00:21:24 UTC
My lore may be in correct, but I seem to remember that the first ever titan killed in the game was de-cloaked by a newbie in a frigate in a small "renter" corp in a big alliance.
Careby
#74 - 2014-08-02 02:06:22 UTC
I remember having a bout of severe depression when I was about two months old in real life. My goal of ruling the world seemed so far off at the time I briefly considered suicide.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#75 - 2014-08-02 02:22:23 UTC
Careby wrote:
two months old in real life.

Shocked
you remember when you were two months old in real life.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#76 - 2014-08-02 02:42:40 UTC
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:

Wall of text hits your browser, crushing the hell out of it

Dude.

By whose standards are you playing this game? OK so you don't want to min/max it. Great! We have enough autising going on around here anyway.

But you seem to be operating under some kind of standard. Like there's some need to be playing a certain way and doing certain things and achieving things that for the most part you lack the skills to do.

So what. You are new.

And if you are on some track that you think you have to rack up skills and do all kinds of grinding "before" you can play the game, then you already screwed the pooch on getting Eve and you should go.

The game is open ended. I have been at it since 2006 and still have yet to see more than 30 percent of the content of this game. It's too big for that. And who cares anyway? I don't.

So here is what you do: nothing. Not like, don't play it, but stop thinking there is something you have to do, or should be doing, because either you can't do it or lack the skills to do it.

You are obviously here because you like spaceships or something. That's all you need. The game is so open ended there's no limit to how you can find ways to enjoy it. If I put out a dialog on "how I play Eve" at least half the bittervets would die laughing if they read it. Half the noobs would go running and screaming back to WoW. But I still have a good time and have been enjoying it since 2006.

So find a way to have some fun, forget the "stuff" and "da rules" of how you should play or what you should accomplish according to other players. Set your own goals and have fun and the more it seems unattainable, then the more challenge you are getting for the cost of your sub. And that's a good thing.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#77 - 2014-08-02 03:40:38 UTC
Barzai Mekhar wrote:
The stuff of someone that played two months, dabbled in everything but didn't take the time to get to know anything in detail? Are you guys so desperately in need of rookie ships?

Have you seen Trit prices lately?

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#78 - 2014-08-02 04:03:15 UTC
Tweek Etimua wrote:
Whipple Shai wrote:
Your issue is you think you have to do all the things you mentioned to have fun in the game and I submit you are wrong.

I started playing MMO's with UO 18 years ago and in each of them I thought I had to accomplish some task or I wasn't enjoying the game. Fortunately about 1.75 yrs ago I "graduated" to Eve and finally realized something. The things you mention aren't the goal of playing a game. Fun is the goal. If you concentrate on the fun; the things you mention suddenly become less of a distraction.

They become part of the game rather THAN the game.

Best thing you can do is find a new player friendly, null based Corp. Get the hell out of empire because it really is safer in a sov holding corp/alliance. Ask nicely for them to show you the ropes, stop whining, never whine again and forget you ever made this post.

Whip

Fun is relative.

Fun is just a buzzword. You heard it here folks.Roll People don't actually have fun when playing any games at all NOPE never.P

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Tweek Etimua
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2014-08-02 04:37:34 UTC
Yang Aurilen wrote:
Tweek Etimua wrote:
Whipple Shai wrote:
Your issue is you think you have to do all the things you mentioned to have fun in the game and I submit you are wrong.

I started playing MMO's with UO 18 years ago and in each of them I thought I had to accomplish some task or I wasn't enjoying the game. Fortunately about 1.75 yrs ago I "graduated" to Eve and finally realized something. The things you mention aren't the goal of playing a game. Fun is the goal. If you concentrate on the fun; the things you mention suddenly become less of a distraction.

They become part of the game rather THAN the game.

Best thing you can do is find a new player friendly, null based Corp. Get the hell out of empire because it really is safer in a sov holding corp/alliance. Ask nicely for them to show you the ropes, stop whining, never whine again and forget you ever made this post.

Whip

Fun is relative.

Fun is just a buzzword. You heard it here folks.Roll People don't actually have fun when playing any games at all NOPE never.P

That's not what i meant. What i meant was in regards to his premise "Your issue is you think you have to do all the things you mentioned to have fun in the game and I submit you are wrong"

To say that thge reason some one isn't having fun is because they don't know what fun is silly.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#80 - 2014-08-02 04:55:40 UTC
Fun ? We are not here to have fun.

Do you think this is some sort of game ? Get all thoughts of fun out of your head right now, EVE is serious business.