These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Too late to the game to matter.

Author
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#21 - 2014-08-01 19:22:16 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Skydell wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
TL;DR OP doesn't have the patience it takes to play this game.

It's less about patience, more about how much time you are willing to sink in to the game. Most people won't 'matter' in EVE. It has little to do with when they joined. They just can't wrap their head around the EVE concept. It's an on call job, 23/7 for people who 'matter'. For people like the OP, they look at end game and decide they want nothing to do with that and see anything else the game has to offer as servitude to end game. I'm guilty of this thinking myself at time. It's a hard bug to shake.

Having that kind of 'bug' is the problem. NO ONE matters in EVE (except Chribba, he's the man), EVE is what you make it for yourself. That's the beauty of EVE as opposed to the rest of the MMO world that lies to you and tells you you are a special heroic snowflake.

I've been in alliances and other kinds of groups, I've never once been or seen myself as someone elses *****. The alliance (and the alliance's 'boss') got someone to shoot stuff for them, and I got access to all manner of enjoyable things that I either would not have had other wise or would have had to 'ninja' to get. Fair Trade is not exploitation.

The problem is the 'soloer' mind set is that it views cooperation (which is necessary to achieve higher goals) as subjugation. It's not.

"You L33T d347H D341R #446891 are the chosen one"
Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#22 - 2014-08-01 19:22:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhivre
I am not sure what industry you were doing that you think takes a lot of skills to get into.

Perhaps you tried to do T2 building straight out of the box.

Things in any game take time, but in Eve you can actually join in with the guys who have been playing longer than you pretty much straight out of the box.

Of course, if you want to be building T2 stuff, or being a major market mogul on day one, that is a different matter entirely, the same as if you want to be flying a battleship on day one. That isnt going to happen.

The thing in eve is that you set your own "end game" and goals, not necessarily what everyone else does.
Pheusia
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#23 - 2014-08-01 19:26:45 UTC
Incidentally, most of the players who really matter in EVE aren't using their skillpoints for the things that really matter. The Mittani runs the CFC, arguably the most powerful group in EVE. His favorite ship is the Sabre, which you could fly with the same skills he has in 3 or 4 months at most.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#24 - 2014-08-01 19:28:47 UTC
I think people have been saying Null sec has been dead since the days of bob. I barely recognize the sov map since those days. And what do people do in any mmo, seems to me it is grind pve and/or grind pvp. For the most part because it is fun, or you expect to find fun soon™. Anyways with time comes disruptions, I'm still convinced no one is too late to the game.

In eve fly with some people, talk on coms, and blow stuff up. I can't imagine playing any other game right now.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Pheusia
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#25 - 2014-08-01 19:43:45 UTC
I mean look, if your plan was to ~Level~ your way to the top, you're basically not just too late but 11 years too late.

Luckily, skills are just a tool in the box to get what you want. Also at your disposal are

Money
Experience
Charisma
Patience
Player skill
Likeability
Ruthlessness
Game knowledge

To name but the first 10 things that are as important as skillpoints. Excellence in any one of those things is enough for you to make your way. More than a couple and you'll be an outstanding player.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2014-08-01 19:44:09 UTC
Lugia3 wrote:
Go read the history of Brave Newbies.

Brave claimed a piece of null that was ready and waiting for it. While this is admirable it's not really a symptom of null working as intended. There have been no new groups blasting their way in to carve a chunk of it for themselves.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#27 - 2014-08-01 19:50:47 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Lugia3 wrote:

Brave claimed a piece of null that was ready and waiting for it. While this is admirable it's not really a symptom of null working as intended. There have been no new groups blasting their way in to carve a chunk of it for themselves.

To be fair, they still did it.
Paranoid Loyd
#28 - 2014-08-01 19:51:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Skydell wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
TL;DR OP doesn't have the patience it takes to play this game.

It's less about patience, more about how much time you are willing to sink in to the game.

I couldn't disagree more. Plenty of people accomplish their goals while barely even logging on.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Pheusia
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#29 - 2014-08-01 19:51:45 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Lugia3 wrote:

Also there's a lot more to EVE than Null.
Hemel Keynes
Doomheim
#30 - 2014-08-01 19:55:40 UTC
To paraphrase a dead politician, stop asking what can the game do for you, ask what can you do for the game. If you lack imagination and/or patience, you're going to have a bad time.
NIFTYGetAtMe
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-08-01 19:56:48 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:
I am essentially too late to the game.

No you aren't too late, because with the attitude you've displayed every time you've posted, you could have started on May 1st 2003 and you still would have failed.

That may sound harsh, but it's true, you don't seem to have what it takes mentally. The starkest evidence of this is that you took the time to write all that crap when you could have spent the same amount of time figuring out what your goals are and how to overcome the barriers in your way of achieving those goals....like a real EVE player would.

No one who blames others (or the game) for their failures has ever or will ever succeed in EVE Online. And it is in real life as it is in EVE.

Yeah yeah, OP no patience blah blah blah, sorry I have to jump in at this.
If there is a phrase you should never EVER structure at any point in your entire life, it is "And it is in real life as it is in (videogame)"
No matter how you much you want it to be true, how much you justify it or how hard you defend it, it is literally NEVER true. Real life and videogames are 100% separated and comparing IRL trends/events to simulated trends/events is a grievous offense to humanity. Please separate videogames from life and see them only for what they are: entertainment.
rant over.
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#32 - 2014-08-01 19:58:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Pahrdi
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:
Some might say you don't get EVE...what is there to get O.O? I grew bored of it all. I perhaps also have no desire to play alliance/corp simulator and project power in a sandbox universe that has already been colonized and mastered by players. I am essentially too late to the game.

Nothing to do with EVE. You don't get mmos. That is your problem.

MMOs are about playing together with other people. Doesn't have to be the big anonymous mass though. You can do it just as well or even much better in a small or mediium sized group.

Getting a situation under control against all odds is when you'll have the most fun in the game. Won't happen too often. But you'll live for those moments and you remember them.

Being part of a decent group in a mmo means a lot more than a few sp.

Remove standings and insurance.

Deuce McGuilicuddy
Jebediah's Minimally Invasive Salvage and Recovery
#33 - 2014-08-01 20:01:43 UTC
Your attitude is what's holding you back, not your skill points. Nobody is going to hand you a good time on a silver platter, this is a sandbox not a brothel. With a little ingenuity and a pair of nuts (figuratively speaking), a day old player can have a blast in frigate pvp. I know. I've done it. Yes you will lose ships. No, you will not be pro. But fun is had regardless. You are whining on the forums about lack of fun content while there are 30,000 other pilots, many of them as new as or newer than you are, flying and having fun as we speak. If you aren't willing to invest :effort: into the game, then you deserve a negative return on investment from the game. There is a button on the character select screen. It says biomass. Use it.

Also, no, I don't want your stuffZ. I'll never be able to get the smell of WoW reject out of cockpit.
Venjenz Sake
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-08-01 20:02:19 UTC
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:
But what is it all for?

Entertaining wasting of time, same as any other video game ever?

When were video games supposed to give our lives meaning? I must have missed that memo, since I play them to waste time enjoyably.
Paranoid Loyd
#35 - 2014-08-01 20:03:25 UTC
NIFTYGetAtMe wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:

No you aren't too late, because with the attitude you've displayed every time you've posted, you could have started on May 1st 2003 and you still would have failed.

That may sound harsh, but it's true, you don't seem to have what it takes mentally. The starkest evidence of this is that you took the time to write all that crap when you could have spent the same amount of time figuring out what your goals are and how to overcome the barriers in your way of achieving those goals....like a real EVE player would.

No one who blames others (or the game) for their failures has ever or will ever succeed in EVE Online. And it is in real life as it is in EVE.

If there is a phrase you should never EVER structure at any point in your entire life, it is "And it is in real life as it is in (videogame)"
No matter how you much you want it to be true, how much you justify it or how hard you defend it, it is literally NEVER true. Real life and videogames are 100% separated and comparing IRL trends/events to simulated trends/events is a grievous offense to humanity. Please separate videogames from life and see them only for what they are: entertainment.
rant over.

Reading comprehension is hard Roll

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

NIFTYGetAtMe
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#36 - 2014-08-01 20:04:55 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
NIFTYGetAtMe wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:

rant over.

No, it's not. He drew a correlation between real life and a videgame. That's a no-no.
Hicksimus
Torgue
#37 - 2014-08-01 20:05:29 UTC
If you want to affect the really big picture.....yeah you've missed the boat.....maybe if you take 5 years, meet the right people, etc. you can command something and affect the big picture. Financially, nope it'd take incredible luck at this point.

Personally I'm alright with that. I corp hop to change the scenery, I make my own content, sometimes other people make my content and for a lot of people that's all they need. If that doesn't work for you then hand over your stuff and **** off to WoW.

Recruitment Officer: What type of a pilot are you? Me: I've been described as a Ray Charles with Parkinsons and a drinking problem.

Paranoid Loyd
#38 - 2014-08-01 20:06:32 UTC
NIFTYGetAtMe wrote:
No, it's not. He drew a correlation between real life and a videgame. That's a no-no.

Not the kind you are ranting about. A subtle difference but it is different.

Fix the Prospect!

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#39 - 2014-08-01 20:08:14 UTC
NIFTYGetAtMe wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

no it isnt, attributing real values unto digital acts within a video game is a nono, not pointing out apt similarities between the two.
TheMercenaryKing
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#40 - 2014-08-01 20:12:54 UTC