These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Most Beautiful and Handsome Eve Toon.

First post First post
Author
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#241 - 2014-07-13 01:12:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
But I got to ask- politely, no offense intended and with the highest regards and utter respect towards all those talented people here who spent so much time creating those beautiful and handsome avatars- since when had it become socially acceptable around here to be unironically pro-Incarna and pro-NeX (or whatever it is called now)?
This is a serious question, since I feel I probably missed something important this last year.

Hi Z,

I really don't think the pro- vs. con- Incarna debate has ended, or will end anytime soon. These debates tend to get very bitter and so some folks try and steer this sort of conversation away from threads like this.

Avatars are different because they don't intrude on internet spaceships. They are a way of visually expressing your uniqueness, as well as exploring what I think is the best character creator that exists in an MMO.. not because you can make gigantic boobs (a lot of people may be into that), but because you can really give some personality to your pilot. The prices in NeX recently dropped, and even the superexpensive monocle was taken out.. so people spending money to have some harmless non-spaceship related fun is probably not seen as a terrible thing.

I think a lot of these avatar threads also don't demand a whole lot out of CCP (which Incarna might). All people want are some new clothes, some hairstyles.. minor stuff that has next to no impact on the EVE we love.

Edit: And a lot of these avatar threads also celebrate what CCP has already given us. I think the Incarna threads tend to get negative in terms of "what we could have had", etc.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Kellie Dusette
Division 13
#242 - 2014-07-13 01:30:10 UTC
I dunno how accurate that is. Imo it actually has nothing to do with development resources (as much as people liked to use that as an argument basis), and you'll pry that fact out of anti-WiS folks if you corner them in an argument and set them up with the right questions . One of the biggest gripes people had with avatar based gameplay is simply that EVE's initial equivalent was going to be functionless, pointless beyond avatar social interaction (which itself many EVE players found to be an uncomfortable prospect in their "big boys" game) - which is pretty much the same gripe people still have these days regarding anything avatar related Smile so nothing's really changed in that regard. Although it's true that WiS's "mothballed/Cancelled" state has finally been accepted by all, so there's not much to fight about anymore really, regardless which side of the fence you're on.

But to add a little extra insight to Zimmy's question, this thread isn't really a representative of the community's attitude toward avatars because when you look back in time you'll see there's actually been a "Most beautiful/Handsome toon" thread right here in GD almost annually. This is just the latest Incarnation it seems. Lol

Anyway, I won't derail this into another WiS debate.

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#243 - 2014-07-13 01:50:25 UTC
https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Diarrhea%20Face

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Candi LeMew
Division 13
#244 - 2014-07-13 02:08:11 UTC
In all this sea of beauty, let's not forget the "special" people in our community.

Folks like Andrew Jester.

He'd almost be hot if he wasn't such a ****.

<3

🍌

Remember... in Anoikis Bob Is Always Watching...

"I been kicked out of better homes than this" - Rick James

Escobar Slim III
YOLOSWAGHASHTAGDOLLARBILLZSWIMMINGPOOLICECREAMS
#245 - 2014-07-13 02:38:05 UTC
When the stars collided,
I saw.
My face.
Pix Severus
Empty You
#246 - 2014-07-13 02:52:52 UTC
Escobar Slim III wrote:
When the stars collided,
I saw.
My face.


Are you sure the stars didn't collide into your face?

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Elara Kouvo
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#247 - 2014-07-13 06:35:59 UTC
@ Pix looks like he's still seeing them
+1 for 70's porn stache
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#248 - 2014-07-13 07:21:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Matilda Cecilia Fock
Dani Dusette wrote:
ISD Ezwal wrote:
If a character is beautiful to you or not, is a matter of taste.

But I have to admit, there are some tasty characters around.... Blink

You look a lil bit salty to me. Might be right up my sister's alley though.


Zimmy Zeta wrote:
But I got to ask- politely, no offense intended and with the highest regards and utter respect towards all those talented people here who spent so much time creating those beautiful and handsome avatars- since when had it become socially acceptable around here to be unironically pro-Incarna and pro-NeX (or whatever it is called now)?
This is a serious question, since I feel I probably missed something important this last year.

Social engineering at it's finest. Blink

But, as someone who's spent a great deal of time reading or arguing in such thread, I think it's the actual WiS concept that so many people had issues with - avatars in a general sense (and their related accessories, etc) seem to be quite acceptable. May have something to do with numerous proud space-barbie enthusiasts who're quite vocal around the community these days and seem to have earned a little respect.


Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
The developer-started and last pro-avatar gameplay threadnaught was locked dead some months ago. So now that avatar gameplay is dead, nobody opposes talking about it.

*Snip* Please refrain from discussing forum moderation. ISD Ezwal.

It's a little more complicated than that.


Well, may be a bit more complicated, but the point is that threads on the topic aren't allowed to live long. As for avatar enthusiasm, hey, I am one, I can't wait to have a reason to resub any of my accounts and use their AUR in a shopping frenzy. But the fact is that the new NES items are being traded in Jita at the astounding pace of four or five a day -that's how successful they are.

Avatars in EVE are a very complicated matter. We have the best characters in industry in a completely useless implementation, with neither plans nor means to put them to use, and yet CCP is paying big bucks to a MT expert in order to implement vanity items you can't show off and destructable virtual items paid for with real money. Ship paintjobs are a victory of the old guard on the MT guy and good business practices, and clothing items are a tiny market after all.

I am aware though that currently CCP are struggling for their life, so there is no point to bring the matter to attention. Avatars are a disaster, will remain a disaster for all of the current development plan and anyway CCP won't last long enough to fix them in some future plans. What?

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#249 - 2014-07-13 07:25:17 UTC
Pix Severus wrote:
Escobar Slim III wrote:
When the stars collided,
I saw.
My face.


Are you sure the stars didn't collide into your face?

Pix, I thought your old avatar was iconic.. but the shadows on this iteration Shocked

Amazing.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Candi LeMew
Division 13
#250 - 2014-07-13 07:27:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Candi LeMew
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Well, may be a bit more complicated, but the point is that threads on the topic aren't allowed to live long. As for avatar enthusiasm, hey, I am one, I can't wait to have a reason to resub any of my accounts and use their AUR in a shopping frenzy. But the fact is that the new NES items are being traded in Jita at the astounding pace of four or five a day -that's how successful they are.

Avatars in EVE are a very complicated matter. We have the best characters in industry in a completely useless implementation, with neither plans nor means to put them to use, and yet CCP is paying big bucks to a MT expert in order to implement vanity items you can't show off and destructable virtual items paid for with real money. Ship paintjobs are a victory of the old guard on the MT guy and good business practices, and clothing items are a tiny market after all.

I am aware though that currently CCP are struggling for their life, so there is no point to bring the matter to attention. Avatars are a disaster, will remain a disaster for all of the current development plan and anyway CCP won't last long enough to fix them in some future plans. What?

Edit -

On second thoughts I'll retract my rambling as I don't wish to turn this into a WiS debate of some kind, as much as I'd love to trash you after posting that inaccurate, pessimistic diatribe. P

🍌

Remember... in Anoikis Bob Is Always Watching...

"I been kicked out of better homes than this" - Rick James

Tycho VI
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#251 - 2014-07-13 08:10:57 UTC
me
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#252 - 2014-07-13 08:33:56 UTC
Candi LeMew wrote:
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Well, may be a bit more complicated, but the point is that threads on the topic aren't allowed to live long. As for avatar enthusiasm, hey, I am one, I can't wait to have a reason to resub any of my accounts and use their AUR in a shopping frenzy. But the fact is that the new NES items are being traded in Jita at the astounding pace of four or five a day -that's how successful they are.

Avatars in EVE are a very complicated matter. We have the best characters in industry in a completely useless implementation, with neither plans nor means to put them to use, and yet CCP is paying big bucks to a MT expert in order to implement vanity items you can't show off and destructable virtual items paid for with real money. Ship paintjobs are a victory of the old guard on the MT guy and good business practices, and clothing items are a tiny market after all.

I am aware though that currently CCP are struggling for their life, so there is no point to bring the matter to attention. Avatars are a disaster, will remain a disaster for all of the current development plan and anyway CCP won't last long enough to fix them in some future plans. What?

Edit -

On second thoughts I'll retract my rambling as I don't wish to turn this into a WiS debate of some kind, as much as I'd love to trash you after posting that inaccurate, pessimistic diatribe. P


Optimism is a disease of the ill-informed.Blink

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Candi LeMew
Division 13
#253 - 2014-07-13 08:55:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Candi LeMew
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Optimism is a disease of the ill-informed.Blink

So why are you even still here?

Oh, and since we're throwing quotes around ... "Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power,"

🍌

Remember... in Anoikis Bob Is Always Watching...

"I been kicked out of better homes than this" - Rick James

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#254 - 2014-07-13 09:14:34 UTC
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:


Optimism is a disease of the ill-informed.Blink

“Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.” shoo.
Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#255 - 2014-07-13 09:34:36 UTC
Candi LeMew wrote:
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Optimism is a disease of the ill-informed.Blink

So why are you even still here?

Oh, and since we're throwing quotes around ... "Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power,"


I'm here because this account costed me 3 cents, that's why. Admittedly I'm also using Cecilia to transfer money to one of my alts, as her coming back relied on hours for PLEX but the funds provided by my main were outdated by the extremely healthy and optimism-inducing evolution of PLEX prices.

I calculated, in my empowering optimism, that with PLEX at 650 million, allotting her 750 million would be more than enough to come back. Heh. Already transfered 100 million to her and I'm on my way to transfering another 100. Out of sheer optimism, mind you, about the future evolution of PLEX prices. Lol

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Candi LeMew
Division 13
#256 - 2014-07-13 09:42:04 UTC
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Candi LeMew wrote:
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Optimism is a disease of the ill-informed.Blink

So why are you even still here?

Oh, and since we're throwing quotes around ... "Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power,"


I'm here because this account costed me 3 cents, that's why. Admittedly I'm also using Cecilia to transfer money to one of my alts, as her coming back relied on hours for PLEX but the funds provided by my main were outdated by the extremely healthy and optimism-inducing evolution of PLEX prices.

I calculated, in my empowering optimism, that with PLEX at 650 million, allotting her 750 million would be more than enough to come back. Heh. Already transfered 100 million to her and I'm on my way to transfering another 100. Out of sheer optimism, mind you, about the future evolution of PLEX prices. Lol

You still didn't answer the question as to why you're still here, if as you claim EVE is actually dying.

Other than to allude to the fact that you'll do something just because it's cheap.

🍌

Remember... in Anoikis Bob Is Always Watching...

"I been kicked out of better homes than this" - Rick James

Matilda Cecilia Fock
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#257 - 2014-07-13 11:18:11 UTC
Candi LeMew wrote:
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Candi LeMew wrote:
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
Optimism is a disease of the ill-informed.Blink

So why are you even still here?

Oh, and since we're throwing quotes around ... "Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power,"


I'm here because this account costed me 3 cents, that's why. Admittedly I'm also using Cecilia to transfer money to one of my alts, as her coming back relied on hours for PLEX but the funds provided by my main were outdated by the extremely healthy and optimism-inducing evolution of PLEX prices.

I calculated, in my empowering optimism, that with PLEX at 650 million, allotting her 750 million would be more than enough to come back. Heh. Already transfered 100 million to her and I'm on my way to transfering another 100. Out of sheer optimism, mind you, about the future evolution of PLEX prices. Lol

You still didn't answer the question as to why you're still here, if as you claim EVE is actually dying.

Other than to allude to the fact that you'll do something just because it's cheap.



You start with a false assumption: that being pessimistic or not trusting about the future of an endeavour should make us abandon it. Yet your argument is like "Why you're still here, if as you claim The Alamo is actually doomed?"

Maybe I've got friends here. Maybe I wish I am wrong. Maybe I'm involved with this ongoing trainwreck. Maybe I want to say "I told you so".

Maybe it's all of the above, or none of it. Anyway I don't want to derail this thead further.

(Just will note, EVE can live without CCP, as all it takes is to keep Tranquility -or a scaled down version of it- online. That could be done with the appropiate legal paperwork and enough charity funding even if Crowd Control Productions, hf was gone).

Q: Should we be worried? A: Nope. (...) Worry a lot if Fozzie, Masterplan, Rise, Veritas, Bettik, Ytterbium, Scarpia, Arrow, or even Greyscale leaves. Worry a little if Punkturis, karkur, SoniClover, Affinity, Goliath, or Xhagen leaves.

Candi LeMew
Division 13
#258 - 2014-07-13 11:48:04 UTC
Matilda Cecilia Fock wrote:
You start with a false assumption: that being pessimistic or not trusting about the future of an endeavour should make us abandon it. Yet your argument is like "Why you're still here, if as you claim The Alamo is actually doomed?

Hey, it was a reasonable question, not an argument. You should relax a little, you'll live longer.

I'm just not used to people consciously jumping ONTO a sinking ship. Are you? I'd question whether or not it's really sinking in that case, especially when I can't see any leaks myself.

I figured you'd either enlighten me with an interesting answer, or avoid answering it all together which would leave me no other option but to assume you don't have much confidence in what's coming out of your own mouth, or fingers rather.

But yeah, anyway, back to the catwalk Big smile


🍌

Remember... in Anoikis Bob Is Always Watching...

"I been kicked out of better homes than this" - Rick James

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#259 - 2014-07-13 12:14:17 UTC
http://i.imgur.com/RZM33.gif

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#260 - 2014-07-13 12:17:50 UTC
I'll take catfights over catwalks any day.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!