These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proposal] Transferable Loyalty Points

Author
Grenn Putubi
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#61 - 2014-07-09 22:18:17 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:

Ok, would you like me to start listing all the games that have currencies that you earn throughout game play and are non-transferable? SW:TOR has one for each planet, DDO's micro-currency can be earned in game and is limited to one account. I could look up more, but I don't really need to.

The difference between those games and EVE is that the majority of the items you can purchase with those currencies are character or account bound and can't be traded or sold to other players. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you're comparison needs context.

LP is a huge part of EVE, all faction ammo, modules, and ships come from LP purchases, there's no other way to get them and they're an extremely large portion of the market activity all across the EVE economy.

Iain Cariaba wrote:
^^ this is exactly how transfering LP items currently works. Only the person who earned the discount can trade it in. Nothing broken here.

The system may not be broken, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. Allowing players to trade LP directly instead of through chat channels like CONCORD LP and what amounts to a verbal agreement between strangers is something that can be made easier and safer. That's all I'm asking for, nothing more, and I'm even agreeing that getting access to that easier and safer method should involved some investment of value from the person doing the selling. Hence my suggestion that vouchers cost more to initially purchase than they're worth when redeemed.
Grenn Putubi
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2014-07-09 22:35:30 UTC
I've been thinking about nulsec players' issues with traveling to cash in LP and the best solution I can think of to make it easier to cash in LP is to find some way for them to purchase the LP vouchers closer to home. Don't give them full access to an LP store, just access to trade LP for vouchers at whatever the normal exchange rate is for that corp.

This could be done through giving agents in stations a new ability, similar to Locator agents, adding agents in space that offer the LP voucher redemption similar to trading in tags, or by giving ESSs the ability to issue LP vouchers directly through some sort of dialogue menu.

I'm sure there are other options to be thought of and considered, but if trading in LP is really that difficult for a great enough portion of the EVE player base then finding a better solution than keeping a JC in your normal LP station and jumping to it once or twice a month to cash in LP is probably worth doing.
Aliventi
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry.
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#63 - 2014-07-10 19:47:45 UTC
I would love to see this happen.
Tiberizzle
Your Mom Heavy Industries
Goonswarm Federation
#64 - 2014-08-04 12:51:47 UTC
Tiberizzle wrote:
This is a pretty good idea. Pretty much anything that addresses the issue of factoring LP into nullsec income when you can only dispose of it by leaving nullsec would be a good idea though. I thought the goal with nullsec changes was to be moving us towards being self-sufficient?

I have 10+ characters with 1.5-2.5M LP split between several different factions per character.

I haven't bothered to cash out since these things were introduced because of the mindblowing headache going to 2-4 different LP stores per character then shipping all the crap to a market hub would be.

I don't mean to get all ~tism~ here but quite frankly, when you factor in the opportunity cost of liquidating, it's not a bonus as is, it's pretty much mockery.

update: I actually cashed out my LP for 2 LP stores across most of my characters. Any LP store other than Caldari Navy is basically impossible to cash out without investing more time than than the LP is worth in terms of opportunity cost. Most of the items that aren't sitting well under 700 ISK/LP require inputs other than ISK and LP which have to calculated, purchased, shipped to the hub, etc. in a process that takes several hours.

It also occurred to me at some point that anyone ratting in a super with an ESS in system will basically not be able to cash out their LP without parking their super in a CSMA (not viable for players that aren't in a personal corp) or using a holder (not viable for players without a holder). No, I don't rat in supercarriers, stop looking at me like that. I do have pilots in supers that can't get out to cash out LP they earned before boarding a super without adding even more headache to the process, though, and I imagine for ~some people~ this is a legitimate ongoing concern.