These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CODE Minerbumping query

Author
Lady Areola Fappington
#21 - 2014-07-08 17:53:44 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:

So, leaving that aside, what would be the actual benefits of purchasing a mining permit? Honestly, I think it could be a great product, I'm just having a hard time understanding why people would want it.

Well, the "honest" reason would be that the permit holder supports our cause, and is willing to contribute 10mil ISK to the coffers while playing along with the whole "New Order controls Highsec" game that the GMs kinda foisted on us.

The actual reason is, most permit purchasers seem to think "bought permit" means "Immune to New Order ganking". The latter gets disproved in hilariously amusing ways when said permit purchasers find themselves ganked.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#22 - 2014-07-08 18:10:37 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

So, leaving that aside, what would be the actual benefits of purchasing a mining permit? Honestly, I think it could be a great product, I'm just having a hard time understanding why people would want it.

Well, the "honest" reason would be that the permit holder supports our cause, and is willing to contribute 10mil ISK to the coffers while playing along with the whole "New Order controls Highsec" game that the GMs kinda foisted on us.

The actual reason is, most permit purchasers seem to think "bought permit" means "Immune to New Order ganking". The latter gets disproved in hilariously amusing ways when said permit purchasers find themselves ganked.

My clients always seem to ask if by having a permit they won't be ganked, I make sure to clarify that if they are holding a permit, and are following the Code, they will not be ganked. A lot of people seem to think that the permit means they can mine AFK, they learn that is not the case rather quickly, and as you said, in very amusing ways.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Ria Nieyli
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#23 - 2014-07-08 18:30:54 UTC

Now we're starting to get somewhere. What would the benefits be for the permit holder if he were to support the New Order as an entity?
Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2014-07-08 19:21:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Voyager Arran
Ria Nieyli wrote:

Now we're starting to get somewhere. What would the benefits be for the permit holder if he were to support the New Order as an entity?

Less competition on the mineral market since the pressure of ganks shifts the barge of choice from max-yield Hulks or Mackinaws to tanked Mackinaws or Skiffs.

I know we say this facetiously a lot, but go look around for yourself a bit and see how many Hulks you find compared to other ships, and then imagine what the mining ecosystem would look like if everyone knew they would never face anything more hazardous than a belt rat.

That 10mil permit you bought? That's 4-5 T1 fit Catalysts, which can also be thought of as two greedy competitors going down in flames.
Lady Areola Fappington
#25 - 2014-07-08 19:30:05 UTC
Ria Nieyli wrote:

Here's some benefits. Granted, they're a little indirect, but you'll get the drift.

Mining equipment. Lets say you make it. Lets say you're friendly with your neighborhood New Order gank team. Go on a few roams with them, toss some ISK, that sort of stuff. Suddenly, you now have access to a very lucrative business opportunity. What does a ganked miner want? New mining ship, and fittings. Where do they get them? Well, you, the industrialist, just happen to have mining gear for sale in the system, and at just 10% over Jita, why waste time flying over there. Boom profit.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Ria Nieyli
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2014-07-08 19:47:51 UTC
Voyager Arran wrote:
Ria Nieyli wrote:

Less competition on the mineral market since the pressure of ganks shifts the barge of choice from max-yield Hulks or Mackinaws to tanked Mackinaws or Skiffs.

I know we say this facetiously a lot, but go look around for yourself a bit and see how many Hulks you find compared to other ships, and then imagine what the mining ecosystem would look like if everyone knew they would never face anything more hazardous than a belt rat.

That 10mil permit you bought? That's 4-5 T1 fit Catalysts, which can also be thought of as two greedy competitors going down in flames.

That's the kind of answer that I wanted to hear. It would make for a very decent promotion pamphlet with a tiny bit of work :)
Christo Severasse
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#27 - 2014-07-08 19:54:15 UTC
I would less likely buy a permit from code than get in a cage with Siegfried and Roy's tiger whilst wearing a bacon suit.
I do not recognise you law or your self proclaimed authority.
You cannot own high sec any more than you can own the sky.
I don't care what lists I'm on or off for i am a free man and bend my knee to no one, least of all some morally bankrupt psychopaths.
I mine where I want, I hack where I want, I go wherever I choose in this galaxy.
You can kill me, if you can catch me.
Good luck!

P.s. thanks for the content!
Thomas Mayaki
Perkone
Caldari State
#28 - 2014-07-08 20:33:04 UTC
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie wrote:
Essentially a permit shown in your bio requires our agents to attempt to contact you through either local or private chat (their choice), and give you a reasonable amount of time (agent's discretion, James 315 gives 5 seconds, I give 30) to respond. If you have not responded within this time, they will begin bumping/ganking.

Quote from the code
'- No AFK mining allowed. All miners are expected to remain at their keyboards at all times, and are required to prove their presence by responding in local when requested by the Supreme Protector or one of his Agents.'

Since when has being contacted in private chat been an option perhaps the agents should actually read the code rather than just making stuff up?
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2014-07-08 20:44:48 UTC
Out of curiosity, are CODE's alts automatically permit tanked (assuming that these alts always adhere to the code)?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Thomas Mayaki
Perkone
Caldari State
#30 - 2014-07-08 20:50:26 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Out of curiosity, are CODE's alts automatically permit tanked (assuming that these alts always adhere to the code)?

In Piekura they are required to purchase a ganking permit.
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-07-08 21:14:53 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

No, our alts are required to purchase and display permits just like everyone else. This is in no small part due to the impossibility of keeping track of everyones alts. Nothing says you can't sell yourself a permit though.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Lady Areola Fappington
#32 - 2014-07-08 21:16:20 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

For those of us who feel the urge to play in the dirt and mine, yeah, they get permits. In the end, it's chipping in some ISK so your buddies can go have some fun and generate content.

Adhering to the Code, of course we do! Code adherents don't get ganked! It's honestly pretty hard to catch the Skiff who's orbiting a rock, afterburner on, and spooks and runs the second a scout starts getting near.

That, friends, is the secret to dodging most ganks.
Fly a tank barge (with a tank fitted)
Stay mobile
Run when anyone, even a +5 "good guy", invades your personal space.

Cavalira
Arrivederci.
#33 - 2014-07-09 00:41:20 UTC

For those of us who feel the urge to play in the dirt and mine, yeah, they get permits. In the end, it's chipping in some ISK so your buddies can go have some fun and generate content.

Paying someone else to have fun with your money.

Implying ganking is actually a fun thing to do.
Personally, I get super bored after 10 minutes.
Kong Kao
Discrete Astrographic Reconnaissance Technologies
#34 - 2014-07-09 01:26:18 UTC
I thought about buying a permit but then I remembered I had what was it.....oh yeah some self-respect.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#35 - 2014-07-09 02:21:29 UTC
Handar Turiant wrote:
Little code interpretation question:

Should one be mining without a permit, does one get the opportunity to purchase it before being suicide ganked, or do the Code Folk gank everything not on their little list without the agent in question offering to purchase redemption through permit?

Think how RL law enforcement officers act.

If I were to enter my local electronics store, sneak a tablet into my bag, leave the store and then get confronted by a store detective, they would not give me the opportunity to purchase the tablet then and there, they'd attempt to arrest me for theft.

The New Order operates in a similar fashion.

When we detect lawbreaking, Agents have the discretion to respond with a warning (possibly a warning bump, possibly a convo), or to respond with an enforcement action (a gank, or a bump that sends them out of range).

Enforcement actions serve three purposes - they provide a warning to other miners, they inflict loss upon the non-compliant, and they also spread knowledge and fear of the Code.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#36 - 2014-07-09 18:24:45 UTC
Christo Severasse wrote:
morally bankrupt psychopaths.

I think I've identified the source of your problem. :)

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#37 - 2014-07-09 19:04:05 UTC
Thomas Mayaki wrote:
Essentially a permit shown in your bio requires our agents to attempt to contact you through either local or private chat (their choice), and give you a reasonable amount of time (agent's discretion, James 315 gives 5 seconds, I give 30) to respond. If you have not responded within this time, they will begin bumping/ganking.

Quote from the code
'- No AFK mining allowed. All miners are expected to remain at their keyboards at all times, and are required to prove their presence by responding in local when requested by the Supreme Protector or one of his Agents.'

Since when has being contacted in private chat been an option perhaps the agents should actually read the code rather than just making stuff up?

Under the code I am perfectly within my rights to gank someone if they do no respond in local within an amount of time that I deem reasonable. So yes, I could target their ship, hit enter in chat, and then hit f1. I choose to attempt to convo them and give a longer period of time to be more lenient even if it is not required under the code.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2014-07-09 21:23:24 UTC
Thomas Mayaki wrote:

Quote from the code

Under the code I am perfectly within my rights to gank someone if they do no respond in local within an amount of time that I deem reasonable. So yes, I could target their ship, hit enter in chat, and then hit f1. I choose to attempt to convo them and give a longer period of time to be more lenient even if it is not required under the code.

Proof that BeBopAReBop is an all round nice guy. Big smile

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Thomas Mayaki
Perkone
Caldari State
#39 - 2014-07-10 14:52:43 UTC
Tengu Grib wrote:
Thomas Mayaki wrote:

Quote from the code

Still a bit confused about the 'or private chat' thing. Yes or No if you don't respond to a private chat request within 5 seconds you will be ganked for being afk?

Also since when did James 315 start ganking that 5 seconds seems to apply to his bumping only. It's easy enough to check.
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#40 - 2014-07-10 16:53:04 UTC
Thomas Mayaki wrote:
Tengu Grib wrote:
Thomas Mayaki wrote:

Quote from the code

Still a bit confused about the 'or private chat' thing. Yes or No if you don't respond to a private chat request within 5 seconds you will be ganked for being afk?

Also since when did James 315 start ganking that 5 seconds seems to apply to his bumping only. It's easy enough to check.

James uses Currin Trading as his gank alt. I just give the private chat option because getting a giant popup that so-and-so is inviting you to a conversation is really hard not to notice if you're actually at your keyboard.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!