These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why new people are critical to EvE

First post
Author
Mikael Menethil
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#121 - 2014-07-08 08:24:33 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
Another Hulkageddon or permit scam or insidious corporate takeover or blue donut will not keep people interested for very long.
tl:dr give the kid a chance.

It will keep the people interested in doing those things.

This is a place where you have to act like you would in a prison. You don't go in the dining hall and tell everyone to give the kid a chance....

New Eden is dominated by thieves, murderers, scammers and sadists, most of the time in sheep clothing and active on these forums. Adapt, dont try to reason with these people.

There, I've been helpful, where's my ISK?
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#122 - 2014-07-08 08:35:24 UTC
Mikael Menethil wrote:
New Eden is dominated by thieves, murderers, scammers and sadists, most of the time in sheep clothing and active on these forums.

Most of the people in new eden are active on forums?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Dave Stark
#123 - 2014-07-08 08:40:59 UTC
Veld San wrote:
Rowells wrote:
Eve is like S&M.

Some people find pleasure in it and others find it just painful.

lawl

am one of the new players that quit after a couple months. i didnt find it painful, just stupid, outdated and full of pricks. moved on to other games.

and yet, you're still here.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#124 - 2014-07-08 08:47:48 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Veld San wrote:
Rowells wrote:
Eve is like S&M.

lawl

am one of the new players that quit after a couple months. i didnt find it painful, just stupid, outdated and full of pricks. moved on to other games.

and yet, you're still here.
But he's going. No really he is, just you wait.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Kalishka Ashkulf
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#125 - 2014-07-08 09:01:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Kalishka Ashkulf
New player here, just wanted to give my 2 Isk on the subject.

I agree, this game seems merciless. People are willing to con you, shoot you or rob you etc etc. However, that seems like it's just the surface. I'm not afraid of admitting that in this game, I've been blown up more times than a beach ball haha. On the other side of that coin however, is the chance to communicate with said person with the bigger gun and discuss the situation.

Each time I have been destroyed, I have learnt a little extra I can take with me to the next fight. When talking with my opponent, I have been given some handy advice and well wishes. Yes, person X didn't hesitate in blowing me to spacedust, but person X is also a decent person. Mind you, I've never been one to throw my rattle out the pram when I lose *shrugs*

So yes, it is a harsh universe out there, but it only looks bad if there's failure to communicate and (as Monty Python claims) Adopt, Adapt and Improve. Smile

But what I do remember is what interested me about this game in the first place. The unique playstyle, mechanics and policies that most other MMO's fear to take on. If those went away, I might as well just "go back to Wow". In all reality, I'd rather not. Left that steam pile of stuff years ago, and I have no intention messing my boots with it again.

Why, thank you, Thing!

Grobalobobob Bob
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#126 - 2014-07-08 10:33:58 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:
Nose' Feliciano wrote:
What EVE is like:

when I was a kid, i got it in my head to build a tower out of a single deck playing cards.

Just to see if i could do it.

It took me weeks of tries and retries. A straight up tower is not the same as a house of cards, so stability was always an issue.

It becameran obsession. One day, without fanfare I did it....and I won my own personal "EVE."

No that's not EvE. That's the kind of game I'd love EvE to be.. BUT.. EvE is absolutely you trying to build this 'cards tower' BUT, being EvE, there's no way to close your front door, and every time you start building, the kid next door comes running in kicks it down laughing, and runs away again... time and time again, you build one layer and the kid kicks it down. When you confront him, your parents tell YOU OFF, and as he runs home crying, you get to your second level for the first time ever, and the kid returns with 30 of his friends and kicks down your tower. As you start to build up again, he comes back on his own and kicks it down.

Newbros are in favour of being able to close the door and get a bit of privacy whilst building said card tower. Bittervets want you never to build the card tower because they already have theirs, and they're bored, and the only thing to do is prey on the less established for sport.

Decide what side you're on..

The problem with such black and white thinking is that you always get your card tower kicked over.

I guess it never occured to you that since you can't close the door to your house, you could make frienes to roflstomp the neighbor kid when he comes over, or build a moat around the door and get some alligators to chomp his ass (ie stay in high sec and use GATORCORD). Or build a fake tower for him to kick over and when he does all of your toys from the toy chest you rigged above it falls on him and kills him (HOT DROP) etc etc.

THAT is what EVE is, figuing it out for your self. The 'standard MMO player (and it seems EVE players like you) don't ever want to do any of that. They want CCP to 'fix it' for them.

Wanting intervention instead of seeing a problem as a challenge is the number 1 indicator of the fact that one does not belong in EVE.

This, exactly this

Sadly, it's not.

EvE isn't a true sandbox. It's a corridor shooter.

people shoot people -> people make stuff to shoot with -> people shoot people making stuff to shoot with.

EvE is geared all around shooting. Period.

90% of my suggestions are to increase the envelope of the 'sand box' to cater for those that want to be able to lock the doors on their house, want to live in 'unknown' space and want some peace and quiet. Now I know this will incite flames left right and center, and I appreciate that. What I'm asking is not what the corridor shooter is all about, some may argue it can be done if you're willing to start shooting, and keep shooting... that's not my point, it defies my point. In life, we all have our front doors, we all have double glazing.. we come home from work, we take our jackets off, we can shut the noise out; the "outside chaos", and sit on the sofa with our family, and kick our shoes off and relax. You cant do that in EvE because it's a corridor shooter. In many ways, EvE experience is similar to Battlefield for newbros - spawn die. spawn die. spawn die... spawn die. YES newbros dont expect this, and it becomes a sharp lesson, and probably many wont survive the trial period.. It is what it is. I have been playing since mid 2009, and i'm still knife edge as to whether EvE really is the game for me. BUT, it's really the only palatable 'spaceship' game out there with any real guts to it, and I'm responsible for atleast 7 other permanent eve residence, so I have tried to do my part. Because of the nature of the PvP corridor shooter thing, and no possibility to sandbox you way to seclusion, we make do; barely. Seems there's some competitors looming on the horizon that -may- cater a little more to what I / some of us would like to see... i have no idea yet, but, as a result, i'm going to check them out. In the meantime, my voice is about the things I am looking for, and the things that could stop me looking elsewhere. Admittedly I'm looking for things I personally want to see, so appreciating the fact that i'm just one little insignificant person on this beach pre-occupied by others, I dont expect anything to change just for me, and, I feel few vocal forum dwellers even agree 1% with me.. it's the silent thoughts of those that try EvE, dont say a word, and discard it that I feel bad about. So anyone being vocal even if it's pure crap coming out of their mouth, I STILL respect for being vocal in the first place, rather than being one that says nothing and provides zero to help EvE.. I'm always of the philosophy that unless you hear all the voices, you may miss that one tiny voice that holds that all important key epiphany.

/walloftext with no TLDR.
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#127 - 2014-07-08 11:26:55 UTC
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

...sit on the sofa with our family...

....sandbox you way to seclusion...

One thing is not the other.

Come an evening, I can log in to a corner of space and chill out if I wish in an area me and my "family" have carved out for ourselves. What are you doing wrong that you can't?

You want seclusion, then you have to be self-sufficient. You live with the "family" then you can share the duties. You can live at home alone, but someone has to mow the lawn, paint the fence, earn a wage, do the shopping, put out the bins (hmm, actually, even that is passing off rubbish-removal to someone else - ok, instead, take your rubbish to the tip), and chase off the local drunk asleep on your front lawn, and if your alone, that someone has to be you. You live with your family, you can leave the chasing off of the drunk to the missus (she's better at i than me anyway, I tend to sit down and join in drinking).
Grobalobobob Bob
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#128 - 2014-07-08 11:59:11 UTC
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

...sit on the sofa with our family...

....sandbox you way to seclusion...

One thing is not the other.

Come an evening, I can log in to a corner of space and chill out if I wish in an area me and my "family" have carved out for ourselves. What are you doing wrong that you can't?

You want seclusion, then you have to be self-sufficient. You live with the "family" then you can share the duties. You can live at home alone, but someone has to mow the lawn, paint the fence, earn a wage, do the shopping, put out the bins (hmm, actually, even that is passing off rubbish-removal to someone else - ok, instead, take your rubbish to the tip), and chase off the local drunk asleep on your front lawn, and if your alone, that someone has to be you. You live with your family, you can leave the chasing off of the drunk to the missus (she's better at i than me anyway, I tend to sit down and join in drinking).

Hey Aralyn thanks for the cool reply. You're right, nothing you say is incorrect. Bit of a background on me / us - from our perspective there's 9 real life friends in eve (that i coaxed to play!), we have a corp, and established enough in High Sec for the third time. It's fairly difficult for all of us to be on at the same time, but try to be mostly on, in mass twice, maybe 3 times a week for a couple of hours. We have tried NULL sec, for a time joined another corp renting in Catch, but, since we aren't on a lot, I logged in to find the pos gone and a stream of in game mails about xyz attacking it all. Sure we pretty much invested everything in to that short project, and what we did have was the ships we logged out in, and lost them in bubble camps trying to limp back to high. So it really put us off trying that in the future. Even now we're still recovering. We tried wormholes, and spent at least half of the time ice mining (before the ice changes), and the rest building POS fuels from PI. in the end we spent so much of the short time allocation just keeping the POS alive, and were forced to recruit, and enlisted a few newbros who at first were great, but that soon turned sour when during our 'off' time, they attacked the POS, and only because one of my friends logged in as they were attacking it we realised the sting. Because we had been mining for ice, we were able to scan an entrance from the inside the WH, but the attackers camped the wh entrance and prevented us from getting in all the while bashed the POS. two of my friends logged in at 2am after I texted them but, it was futile, they got podded trying - out numbered, out gunned, 2am... it weren't happening for us. We left what was left of the POS to its fate.

So our experience:

NULL just isn't happening, cant afford to rent on our time budget, cant apply 24/7 activity.

Wormhole, impossible odds, not enough of us dedicating enough time for it to be viable, and with the new ICE changes, impossible to fuel our POS, and too expensive to buy what we need.

Recruiting, just cannot trust anyone out side our 'circle of friends'.

It's a harsh reality. Need to be either in some galactic empire like Goonswarm, that pretty much guarantees your safety, or, we need to be able to 'create' our own system and somehow lock the doors, with the ability to harvest the POS fuels from within. Neither is happening any time soon.

Trying hard to keep my friends interested... We meet up for a meal every fortnight, and I'm great at giving the "enthusiastic speech" to keep them motivated.. but, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse - we tried, we failed. Now we're HIGH SEC level 4 dwellers, not what we want to be, but it's all we have.

Sob story aye, but just in case folks want to bash me, they know my background a bit better, and that we have tried! (and i'm not some value-less cry 'baby') :)

Thanks again for reading!
Jade Blackwind
#129 - 2014-07-08 12:10:42 UTC
Mikael Menethil wrote:
This is a place where you have to act like you would in a prison. You don't go in the dining hall and tell everyone to give the kid a chance....
Basically, this.

Lots of newbies come to eve and try to treat it as a means of escape from reality, because it's "a space game". And then, they find that very reality shoveled in their face in form of a scam, gank or awox, because, people are generally people, in the worst sense of the term.

EVE is the Status Civilization in space. You HTFU or you die. I, for one, use EVE as a reminder that the real life is not actually that bad and to thank whatever gods there are that i'm not in the high school anymore.

Coming to the General Discussion of all places and complaining that EVE is harsh must be an especially exotic pleasure, because the whiner will be beheaded with a rotten herring by a never-ending line of hungry trolls. Multiple times.

Nami Kumamato
Perkone
Caldari State
#130 - 2014-07-08 12:12:40 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
First, I will never understand why people would want people to leave their subscription game. Yet we hear the "maybe EvE isn't for you" or "go play WoW all the time". Do you understand how subscription games are funded?

That is reason number one new players are important to EvE, they pay cash. There are exceptions, but for the most part new players pay for subs. They also pay for plex as wealth accumulation in this game can be very slow at the start. There are veterans who put their money where their mouth is, but for new players it is almost a given.

Reason number two is they buy off the market. They do not come into being in a guild that produces all that their members need. Instead they grind this and that and go to the market to buy the next step in their ascension. There is a reason why items that a bitter vet wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole sell on the market.

But more importantly, imo, new players bring new ideas. In a game that bills itself as a sandbox with extremely limited content provided by the developers new ideas are the only thing that keep this game fresh. Another Hulkageddon or permit scam or insidious corporate takeover or blue donut will not keep people interested for very long. The next big thing will not come from someone with 15000 posts defending things the way they are. It will most likely come from someone just joining the game that says "what if?"

tl:dr give the kid a chance.

New players are critical yes, but that does not mean you need to alter the game mechanics for them. Especially in EVE's case, where if you do that you will chase away the paying 90% in the favor of the trial 10% that may or may not continue to sub.
EVE is hard.
People don't want hard when when paying 15 Euros monthly to play internet spaceships.
And because it's hard and the learning curve is steep, most that make it through gain a feeling of self-entitlement- because you know, they hardened the frak up.
What CCP needs to do IMO is to create a more comprehensive and newbro-friendly NPE, HOWEVER - as EVE is a sandbox this cannot be achieved (without altering the game) without the help of the player-run corporations who should involve themselves more in recruiting people who are fresh out of the trials.
I personally stayed in the game because I'm stubborn as **** and them SOE ships. But if it we talk like fun/dollar value, EVE is not fun. If you want quick fun (which most people do) they turn to other MMOs (which although are less evolved and more routine-based, have more bang for buck so to say).

Fornicate The Constabulary !

Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#131 - 2014-07-08 12:43:07 UTC
Grobalobobob Bob wrote:

Thanks again for reading!

Oh yeah, things can definitely be rough, and the options can seem limited and unfavourable. It might seem a bit silly coming from someone with my tickers, but we are only where we are because we have had to suffer the good and the bad. For a group your size with such close connections, lost in highsec is very definitely the wrong place, as you have a solid core that could get something done, but I definitely understand how those burn scars from your attempts to branch out have lead you here.

Personally, I would never recommend renting to anyone, since the idea is anathema to my personal view of fighting for whats yours, but it would certainly seem a good way for a group your size to get a cosy corner well under someones protective umbrella (there is a Greater Western Co-Prosperity Sphere (our renters) poster around here who always seems to give good advice and numbers from a renters angle). The other options, Wormholes, NPC Nullsec, or Providence, will mean you will need to be pro-active about getting to know your neighbours, and getting some mutual-defence and non-aggression agreements on the go (there is a thread on this forum about a group trying to give it a go in Stain, but I don't pay enough attention to know how successful they are). It comes down to how much you are willing to risk, how seriously it would hurt to gamble and have everything tore up again.

Ultimately, there is no guarantees anywhere... for any of us, tomorrow could be the day of the declaration of the big war that sees even the mammoth organisation I'm part of laid low; even the big ones go down eventually. And that is a fundamental feature of the game, that can't be changed without tearing out the heart that makes it so much fun for so many of us. If you could close your gates, so could I, and so could anyone that we might want to wage war on, and before long everyone is locked away behind their own walls, only coming out for prearranged set-pieces before scampering back into safety. And that would be a very different game.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#132 - 2014-07-08 15:50:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Tippia wrote:
Nexus Day wrote:
Does anyone else see how self limiting these statements are? In a game of limitless possibility, a sandbox, is there a right path? In a game full of creativity no one can imagine a place for people that would prefer and accept intervention?
Yes, there is a right path.
There is exactly one kind of gameplay that sandbox can't offer: non-sandbox gameplay. Likewise, there's exactly one kind of gameplay that a multiplayer game can't offer: single-player gameplay. EVE is a multiplayer sandbox — that means that at least three out of four variations are excluded from what the game can do.

That is not a problem. There are plenty of other games that offer the other intersections between those two design axes. People who want one of those other cells in the matrix should pick a game other than EVE.

Exactly. i'll never get those people who say "there is no right path".

Right path in EVE: "Damn, something is in my way. I better find a way to go around it, over it, under it, through it,face it head on and beat it or trick it into destroying itself so I can proceed....and while Im at it I'll figure out a way to make a tidy profit on the whole experience. If none of that works, maybe I need to reevaluate my goals in the 1st place".

Wrong pathin EVE (and life): "WAHHHHH, EVE isn't giving me what I want despite the fact that im doing everything wrong. CCP FIX IT".

Imagine some of the whiner types were the people who made Star Wars. The droids would still be scrap, Jabbe the hut would still be banging Leia, Luke would never get to kiss his own sister and Han would lose space races because the Falcon would be 2 parsecs too slow. All while they wait for someone to 'fix' the empire for them instead of them fighting it.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#133 - 2014-07-08 15:57:16 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Imagine some of the whiner types were the people who made Star Wars.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Prequel_trilogy

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

BoBoZoBo
MGroup9
#134 - 2014-07-08 16:18:16 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
First, I will never understand why people would want people to leave their subscription game. Yet we hear the "maybe EvE isn't for you" or "go play WoW all the time". Do you understand how subscription games are funded?

l:dr give the kid a chance.

Of course we understand. When I say "Maybe EVE isn't for you." It generally follows a derogatory comment the individual has made about something inherently EVE that they hate, Like scamming or PVP.

Those things are a part of EVE, so if you hate it... then maybe EVE is not for you. I think this is a very reasonable comment to make to someone who hates the core values of what they are playing. They had their chance, and they are bitching, so get out.

I know EVE needs people to pay for it, but I don't want more people at the cost of a lamer player-base. A lame player base will result in the same thing as a defunded game... with me not playing it.

Primary Test Subject • SmackTalker Elite

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#135 - 2014-07-08 16:28:12 UTC
Hypothetical;

12 people play a game. They have played it for twenty years and are likely to play it for twenty more. They pay their $20 a month that they always have. $240 a month comes in from this game.

Company decides it wants more money. They make the game simpler to grasp and more attractive to the 16-24 demographic and jack the price down to $15 a month. 100 people join and the monthly income grows to $1680.

Next month, the 12 people leave, because the game is no longer the game they liked. Income drops to $1500.

6 months later, Other Game II comes out, and 98 people leave. Income drops to $30.

As the Company, what do you do?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#136 - 2014-07-08 16:36:58 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Needs more “ruined forever”, like so.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#137 - 2014-07-08 16:48:30 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Needs more “ruined forever”, like so.

lol Dont you mean

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_forever

Besides Multiverse is canon now, Mikey Bay can do what he likes and Bumblebee is STILL a VW Beetle out there somewhere :D

Mithandra
B.O.P Supplication For Glorious
Dracarys.
#138 - 2014-07-09 09:09:38 UTC
Veld San wrote:
Rowells wrote:
Eve is like S&M.

lawl

Eve is many things but stupid it is not

Outdated?

Full of Pricks?

Have fun wherever you have moved on to. I'm pretty sure the ripples of your involvement with eve will fade fairly quickly

Eve is the dark haired, totally hot emo gothchild of the gaming community

Nandhi
Glory Hole Stopf Service
#139 - 2014-07-09 12:06:54 UTC
I knew about Eve online is a great mmorpg since 2010. I did download the game and tried 14 day free trial.

Having come from a normal mmorpg backgroud, eve was so tough to me. Asking me to fit a miner and do mining an asteroid the nlock a target, orbit around it and then shoot it... it was tough for me and i did not like it. I left and then never logged back.

After a year, again, i downloaded the game trying to understand the game mechanics. I successfully passed the tutorials and started queuing the skills. But the whole space was empty. every one minding their own business. I should have asked for help But i didn't thats my mistake. left again.

Then after a year around 2013, i download the game again and was determined to stick around. Luckily, after i completed a turorial, i was invited to a corp. They introduced me to Co-op mining operation. There were beautiful ships(ORCA), then lot of different ships and around 30 miners were mining an orbit. Ever time i jettison a bulk of ore, i get money. The corp initially helped me, and i was in comm. That was facinating.

SOme one giving orders, all others following as if its a real Military. That facinated me. And since then i have been subscribing it. (THis is is my ALT char).

So Bottom line, many are willing to play, they are not getting the taste of EVE online.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM.>>>>

When a new one joins, instead of turorial, assign him to a commander, let the commander (an in game tutor) can take him and give a ship ride, let him see the beautiful AMARR ships....

DO this CCP and more subscriptions will flow..

Thanks.
Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#140 - 2014-07-10 01:01:48 UTC
There shouldn't be a right path in EvE. Not unless everyone who calls it a sandbox are completely wrong. I think it is more that YOU don't want something new. YOU want stagnation because YOU have figured out a path that works for YOU and want others to follow that path so YOU do not have to change/adapt.

This is exactly how counter culture gets boring and fades away.

EvE has plenty of room for new players with new ideas who should be allowed to play the game the way they want to play.