These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why new people are critical to EvE

First post
Author
Garresh
Mackies Raiders
Wild Geese.
#21 - 2014-07-06 03:44:20 UTC
Solo players are fine as long as they generate content. I am not an organizer. I never have been. I generate content by shooting people in lowsec, bumping miners in highsec, and exploring in null which gives people a target(me). Sometimes I see other explorers and I shoot them. I've never been much for corps. I try but it just isn't me. But I do make a strong effort to arm and teach every new player I meet, so that they can generate content. I don't think this a particularly bad route. I may not be a member of a community, but I am a member of THE community. Soloers are content generators of a different color. Just not in highsec.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Garresh
Mackies Raiders
Wild Geese.
#22 - 2014-07-06 03:46:51 UTC
Skydell wrote:
There are no new players to EVE. Anyone who was every going to try EVE Online has done so.

You could ask why most never stayed but the answers won't be put in a neat little package. They will range and there will be lots of them but really it's all about information bloat. You see it even in the people who stay. All fits, all content, all scenarios in EVE are an attempt to reduce the useless information being thrown at you in bucket loads.

"It may prove valuable if turned in at proper authorities" The description on every dog tag in EVE Online. One of millions of examples where information is provided that has no actionable value. It creates a question and there is seldom an answer.

People who haven't wasted years filtering the useless information in EVE burn out in a matter of weeks and do what common sense people do. Go find a video game that makes sense at a basic level.

You're wrong. Most people who try eve leave because they didn't find their niche. It took me 3 tries to stick with eve. Judging by the friends I've gotten into eve, that seems to be the standard. I'm only just NOW getting one guy into the game, and another friend just started up a trial. Eve has a lot of content but the chaotic nature of the universe makes it hard for people to find where they belong.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-07-06 03:49:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Nexus Day wrote:
First, I will never understand why people would want people to leave their subscription game. Yet we hear the "maybe EvE isn't for you" or "go play WoW all the time". Do you understand how subscription games are funded?

You say this as if you are under the delusion that growth in EVE is low enough to make a big deal out of. Of course, it's not like this thread doesn't pop up on the forums every now and again, so I could deduce that you are merely trolling. If that's the case, then you're an idiot. If you are serious, then you are confused. For one thing, it is not possible to force someone to quit the game, be they new or old. If someone is going to quit, then they are going to make the choice to quit, and anyone who quits EVE was always going to quit anyway, the same as any game.

See, games of all kinds are made for a target audience. It is the same as any entertainment, be it books, movies, music, etc, there will always be a target audience. Someone outside the target audience may indeed try out what is not intended for them, and they may find they enjoy it, but, most of the time, they will move on to something else. Can you name any one game, any one movie, or any one book that pleased everybody? There isn't one, not even the best selling book in the world, the Bible, pleases everyone.

Those players, new or old, that quit, were always going to quit. Maybe they found something more interesting, maybe they didn't like EVE. It doesn't matter, but you cannot cater to everyone. You have to pick your audience, a select group of people that you intend to entertain and/or please. As soon as you try to cater to everyone, please everyone, then you only disappoint everyone.

This game isn't for everyone, but it survives on the audience it has, it lasts on the audience it pleases. That's how subscription games are funded, by the people that enjoy them. And if there is an existing audience of a certain type, then there is a potential audience of that same type as well. If you want to increase your audience, then you have to do it very delicately, because the last thing you want to do is displease all of your audience That is how subscription based games lose all their funding in one go. EVE's formula is well proven, and you need look no further than the decade of success it has behind it for that proof.

So if you're going to pretend to care about CCP's profits, then at least have a fundamental understanding of how audiences work to begin with, because you don't make more money just by trying to increase that audience, you give the existing audience more incentive to spend money. CCP did this right with the new NES store, and the new features for PLEX such as dual character training. I, for one, sub monthly with a debit card, and I buy PLEX with the same card for the purposes of making isk in-game to finance my PVP. I do this because I personally consider it to be worth the money. If I'm the only one, then I'm an outlier, but somehow I don't think I am an outlier. CCP will have the data, of course, and if I was an outlier, then something would have changed by now.

Thing is though, I'm not an outlier, but the people who try EVE, and quit, compared to how many stay, are an outlier, at least in regards to CCP's profits, or there would have been some big changes made to the game a LONG time ago. CCP know their audience, though, and they know who they're catering to. At least, that's how I see it, and what makes sense to me. And it doesn't even seem to be made up exclusively with 'psychos' either, so your concerns are, as they ever are when this thread pops up, null and void.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#24 - 2014-07-06 04:10:58 UTC
So long as they join, get blown up alot and keep buying my stuff, new people are my new best friends.

After that, well... I'm sure someone will offer to double their ISK.

P

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Gostina Mishina
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2014-07-06 04:11:20 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:
First, I will never understand why people would want people to leave their subscription game. Yet we hear the "maybe EvE isn't for you" or "go play WoW all the time". Do you understand how subscription games are funded?

Do you understand how gaming message boards are filled? With players pretending to be such bad-****s that they can tell crybabies to go away? With fake-hard pilots of fake spaceships?

It's not about wanting other players to leave the game. It's about being *seen* wanting other players to leave. Don't confuse Internet posturing with any player's real attitude.
Lady Areola Fappington
#26 - 2014-07-06 04:31:10 UTC
While it's a little bit of an old article, this does a pretty good job of explaining how CCP feels about "attracting new people".

TL;DR: CCP wants to keep things difficult at first, as it serves as a great filter for getting the right kind of person into the game.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Korvus Falek
Depraved Corruption
#27 - 2014-07-06 04:31:41 UTC
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:

What if I can just join a queue and have a 1 vs 1 engagement with a prefit ship of my choosing that I can lose over and over again. Perhaps I can learn faster in such a battle arena without having to lose my ships in the process, but those provided by the queue. :D

EDIt: Oh and you cannot get podded so you can try out various implant configurations without worrying about loosing them.

I didnt read all the comments, so maybe this is sarcasm explained in other posts; but if its not...

This is a terrible idea and not in the spirit of EvE at all. Please dont think of stupid **** like this ever again in the context of EvE Online.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#28 - 2014-07-06 04:45:38 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
While it's a little bit of an old article, this does a pretty good job of explaining how CCP feels about "attracting new people".

TL;DR: CCP wants to keep things difficult at first, as it serves as a great filter for getting the right kind of person into the game.

There's also this — which runs completely counter to what many people expect from a game.

*Snip* Removed reply to a deleted post. ISD Ezwal.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#29 - 2014-07-06 05:01:57 UTC
Korvus Falek wrote:
Chewytowel Haklar wrote:

What if I can just join a queue and have a 1 vs 1 engagement with a prefit ship of my choosing that I can lose over and over again. Perhaps I can learn faster in such a battle arena without having to lose my ships in the process, but those provided by the queue. :D

EDIt: Oh and you cannot get podded so you can try out various implant configurations without worrying about loosing them.

I didnt read all the comments, so maybe this is sarcasm explained in other posts; but if its not...

This is a terrible idea and not in the spirit of EvE at all. Please dont think of stupid **** like this ever again in the context of EvE Online.

Heh, pvp arenas

Next, flagging

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

polly papercut
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2014-07-06 05:54:15 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Nexus Day wrote:
First, I will never understand why people would want people to leave their subscription game.

I can guess that you never played Ultima Online, then. There were quite a few people who I would have been happy to see them just leave, rather than make the kind of effect on the game that they did.

*Snip* Removed reply to a deleted post. ISD Ezwal.

Ultima Online pre T2A aka pre felucca I think was balanced better than EVE as far as good community is concerned. EVE offers very little in the way of giving reasons to be good.

I felt Every player in UO had a respectful roll from the tailor / smith to the red murderer to the blue bounty hunters.
And UO players understood the importance of every roll in the game.
In UO it was a good idea to befriend a tailor or smith and in EVE if you are a miner / production EVE players are like lol noob your playing the game wrong so let me gank you.

Lineage 2 and Darkfall are they same way I think UO and Darkfall were every bit of a harsh game as EVE, as stated in this thread CCP purposely tries to recruit the worst of the worst people. In no way was darkfall or UO ever diminished by having more god and bad guys nor was there a problem with the crafters. Like I said Crafters in UO got high ammounts of respect.

CCP does not nor should not change the game mechanics but there is no harm in targeting a larger audience of different play styles.
Riyria Twinpeaks
Perkone
Caldari State
#31 - 2014-07-06 06:49:07 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:

That is reason number one new players are important to EvE, they pay cash. There are exceptions, but for the most part new players pay for subs. They also pay for plex as wealth accumulation in this game can be very slow at the start. There are veterans who put their money where their mouth is, but for new players it is almost a given.

Reason number two is they buy off the market. They do not come into being in a guild that produces all that their members need. Instead they grind this and that and go to the market to buy the next step in their ascension. There is a reason why items that a bitter vet wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole sell on the market.

But more importantly, imo, new players bring new ideas. In a game that bills itself as a sandbox with extremely limited content provided by the developers new ideas are the only thing that keep this game fresh. Another Hulkageddon or permit scam or insidious corporate takeover or blue donut will not keep people interested for very long. The next big thing will not come from someone with 15000 posts defending things the way they are. It will most likely come from someone just joining the game that says "what if?"

tl:dr give the kid a chance.

As I joined EvE few months ago, I've seen nothing but a helpful and friendly attitude from older players towards myself.

From what I understand, it boils down to this:

• New players in general are a good thing
  • New players who don't like the game and want to have it changed away from what the other players like, are not good.

As, apparently, there aren't many games around which allow for the sort of experience as playing EvE does, those who enjoy EvE understandably react sensitive to attempts to change their beloved game.
And, as is often the case, the discontent people are more vocal on average, so the newbies who enjoy playing the game are probably underrepresented here.
Add to that trolling and attitude like you have on all game forums, and you'll arrive at where the EvE forums is.

It's nothing special, and while I wish people would treat each other with more respect, it's in my opinion not really that bad, either.
Riyria Twinpeaks
Perkone
Caldari State
#32 - 2014-07-06 07:14:08 UTC
That back and forth about quoting whole posts or not.. gah, it's driving me crazy. so.. here is a complete quote:

Skydell wrote:
There are no new players to EVE. Anyone who was every going to try EVE Online has done so.

You could ask why most never stayed but the answers won't be put in a neat little package. They will range and there will be lots of them but really it's all about information bloat. You see it even in the people who stay. All fits, all content, all scenarios in EVE are an attempt to reduce the useless information being thrown at you in bucket loads.

"It may prove valuable if turned in at proper authorities" The description on every dog tag in EVE Online. One of millions of examples where information is provided that has no actionable value. It creates a question and there is seldom an answer.

People who haven't wasted years filtering the useless information in EVE burn out in a matter of weeks and do what common sense people do. Go find a video game that makes sense at a basic level.

First of all: I disagree. I like the wealth of information. And sure, I'm relying on websites other players set up, and third party tools, to manage that information better. But that's always been a good thing in an MMO, imo. The community figuring out things and helping each other with the results.

About those dog tags: It meant to me that there are people or NPCs out there who will buy those dog tags, either because they are the "proper authorities" or they know them, or the text is just there for the sake of some back story.
At the time I wasn't interested in the "why" so I just sold them. If I later discovered I could use them for something myself, I'll just have to buy them from the market, right? Doesn't seem complicated to me.

And now for the question I am interested in as well: Why doesn't EVE make sense at a basic level?

I mean .. I undock in my ship, I shoot at NPCs or players or asteroids or I transport goods from A to B or run away from pirates while doing that, or I explore a bit, either doing exploration or literally just flying around and looking around.
The difference to most games, as I see it, is that I have to find some sort of goal or project to pursue for myself, to not get bored. For some people that's good, for some not. I am actually one who has a hard time with it, but I am fascinated by the possibilities, so I'll try.
For now my alliance is providing most of the content, but I don't plan of stopping there, but to find some personal projects as well.

So really, I don't see how EVE doesn't make sense, so I want to ask this question, too.
Varathius
Enlightened Industries
Goonswarm Federation
#33 - 2014-07-06 07:45:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Varathius
In most games you don't need a brain to be able to play it, since Eve requires half a brain, most people are obviously going to be overwhelmed.
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#34 - 2014-07-06 07:59:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Skydell
Riyria Twinpeaks wrote:
That back and forth about quoting whole posts or not.. gah, it's driving me crazy. so.. here is a complete quote:

Skydell wrote:

First of all: I disagree. I like the wealth of information. And sure, I'm relying on websites other players set up, and third party tools, to manage that information better. But that's always been a good thing in an MMO, imo. The community figuring out things and helping each other with the results.

About those dog tags: It meant to me that there are people or NPCs out there who will buy those dog tags, either because they are the "proper authorities" or they know them, or the text is just there for the sake of some back story.
At the time I wasn't interested in the "why" so I just sold them. If I later discovered I could use them for something myself, I'll just have to buy them from the market, right? Doesn't seem complicated to me.

And now for the question I am interested in as well: Why doesn't EVE make sense at a basic level?

I mean .. I undock in my ship, I shoot at NPCs or players or asteroids or I transport goods from A to B or run away from pirates while doing that, or I explore a bit, either doing exploration or literally just flying around and looking around.
The difference to most games, as I see it, is that I have to find some sort of goal or project to pursue for myself, to not get bored. For some people that's good, for some not. I am actually one who has a hard time with it, but I am fascinated by the possibilities, so I'll try.
For now my alliance is providing most of the content, but I don't plan of stopping there, but to find some personal projects as well.

So really, I don't see how EVE doesn't make sense, so I want to ask this question, too.

It ate my post. Yep, it was a lengthy one

Go start a new account or add a character and treat it like a pure New player. Remind yourself every time you do something that you have no way of knowing what is wrong and right.

You have nothing, you are using a crappy frigate with meta 0 fits to make ISK and you will end up in a corporation from recruitment.

its 50/50 you will end up in one that is trying to fleece you and one that is actually trying to incorporate you in to the game. The one that will fleece you will convince you to buy a few Plex, get a ship you can't afford and then make sure you lose it. They will soak you for money and when you ask an ISD they will say working as intended.

If you get a corp that wants you, they will send you here to get an API and have you strip searched at the gate to make sure you aren't a spy. Assuming you do this and red flags don't go up all over the place that have you trying to figure out what the hell it is you are giving them with the API, you are now in the game and still have no clue what you are doing.

In addition, the first thing people will tell you?

Trust no one.

Makes no sense.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#35 - 2014-07-06 08:33:16 UTC
Skydell wrote:

How does Eve not make sense?

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#36 - 2014-07-06 08:46:53 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Nexus Day wrote:
First, I will never understand why people would want people to leave their subscription game

Not "people"

Individuals with certain characteristics. Such as wanting to change this game, *Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal. those who know so little about EVE's history its just plain annoying. For starters. In my case. Others may have a different view on what type of player they enjoy interacting with and what kind they'd rather not be bothered with.

Those that attack new players are not targetting new players specifically either. They are just as likely to tell me to get back to WOW (for whatever reason) as they would anybody else.

I think you're confusing our expactations of our fellow player to be mature with a lack of desire to raise kids.

I agree with new players generating content btw:

"Oh man! Attention!"
"Bogeys at the gate! I'm engaging!"

"What the... Right... Ok... everybody shoot the rats and align next"
Vayn Baxtor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2014-07-06 08:59:30 UTC
Quote:
First, I will never understand why people would want people to leave their subscription game. Yet we hear the "maybe EvE isn't for you" or "go play WoW all the time".

One reason is that CCP allows a degree of d***ery and douchbagging.

Another is that the new players tend to bring the negativity from WoW and other, sorry to say, not-so-complex or dumbed-down MMORPGs out there, which also leads to "bitter vets"' bickery.

EVE isn't as bad or difficult, but said new players need to have the luck to meet with people who are not as aggressive by nature. It really depends on who you meet.

Using tablet, typoes are common and I'm not going to fix them all.

Ehlana Sing
First Flame Syndicate
#38 - 2014-07-06 10:35:47 UTC
I'm not sure I can see this thread surviving much longer.

Being a returning player who feels a noob every time he comes back to Eve ( I mean every time there are vast changes I need to read up on, which is fine by me, I like reading) I constantly meet folk who are new to Eve - whether they are telling me the truth is another matter but it's their game to so they can make up whatever stories they like.

I still remember being greener than green starting back in 2006 with my original toon before starting afresh in 2008 but judging by some comments on here I won't meet the criteria for a noobie experience due to now being not a noob ( I swear I still feel like one though What? )

I thought about making a long carefully worded post with well reasoned arguments but I get the impression that that's not what will work here. So here it is instead :-

EVE makes perfect sense, to anyone that wants to learn it and play, it is not for everyone because it is not an "INSTA WIN I GET ALL THE LOOTS CAUSE I WANTZ IT ALL NOW"

You can't keep everyone happy but to say EVERYONE is an old player and there are no new players is a bit presumptuous, especially without actually backing it up.

Meh, that's my incoherent ramble for now.

o7
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#39 - 2014-07-06 10:56:08 UTC
Ehlana Sing wrote:
I'm not sure I can see this thread surviving much longer.

Being a returning player who feels a noob every time he comes back to Eve ( I mean every time there are vast changes I need to read up on, which is fine by me, I like reading) I constantly meet folk who are new to Eve - whether they are telling me the truth is another matter but it's their game to so they can make up whatever stories they like.

I still remember being greener than green starting back in 2006 with my original toon before starting afresh in 2008 but judging by some comments on here I won't meet the criteria for a noobie experience due to now being not a noob ( I swear I still feel like one though What? )

I thought about making a long carefully worded post with well reasoned arguments but I get the impression that that's not what will work here. So here it is instead :-

EVE makes perfect sense, to anyone that wants to learn it and play, it is not for everyone because it is not an "INSTA WIN I GET ALL THE LOOTS CAUSE I WANTZ IT ALL NOW"

You can't keep everyone happy but to say EVERYONE is an old player and there are no new players is a bit presumptuous, especially without actually backing it up.

Meh, that's my incoherent ramble for now.

o7

Good job. You will make it in the forums. I don't know about the game. If I assume what you said is accurate and you are doing what many do with EVE the door will revolve in a month, maybe two and you will be gone again to find something that offers you a little bit more fun and a little less forum fare.
Beta Maoye
#40 - 2014-07-06 10:58:45 UTC
Nexus Day wrote:

That is reason number one new players are important to EvE, they pay cash. There are exceptions, but for the most part new players pay for subs. They also pay for plex as wealth accumulation in this game can be very slow at the start. There are veterans who put their money where their mouth is, but for new players it is almost a given.

Reason number two is they buy off the market. They do not come into being in a guild that produces all that their members need. Instead they grind this and that and go to the market to buy the next step in their ascension. There is a reason why items that a bitter vet wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole sell on the market.

But more importantly, imo, new players bring new ideas. In a game that bills itself as a sandbox with extremely limited content provided by the developers new ideas are the only thing that keep this game fresh. Another Hulkageddon or permit scam or insidious corporate takeover or blue donut will not keep people interested for very long. The next big thing will not come from someone with 15000 posts defending things the way they are. It will most likely come from someone just joining the game that says "what if?"

tl:dr give the kid a chance.

If one agreed EVE is a sandbox, every play style should be equally weighted in the mechanic of the game. Pvpers should not reject carebears as acceptable play style. Carebears should not be surprised by the fact that scammers and griefers are allowed in the game.

The game wouldn't be fun if all players are griefers, even for those who love to grief. It would be equally bad if all players are carebears, because the game would be bored to tears and the economy would not be sustaniable. EVE may not be suitable for everyone. EVE is for players that like learning new things, taking risk for rewards, making smart decisions and players are also expected to be tolerate and forgiving. Filtering out part of trial players is the price paid for a wonderful sandbox.