These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why new people are critical to EvE

First post
Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#221 - 2014-07-13 04:57:08 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
If Chess was like Eve

My Bishops have your King excommunicated and my AWOXing Rook kills your Queen

Good god.

There was someone in help chat a while back claiming that being good at chess would make you good at EVE. They were really adamant and disruptive about it, too.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#222 - 2014-07-13 05:03:40 UTC
Gavin Dax wrote:
So shouldn't EVE do more to encourage the good fight/make it more common?

In order to do this, EVE would have to actively discourage escalation and friends getting together. This is not a good thing for an MMO. A multiplayer game, especially a single-shard multiplayer game, placing active restrictions on how many people can get together, what they can and can't use for any given fight, etc, turns the fight into an exclusive engagement, exclusivity being what a multiplayer single-shard game needs to avoid. Because now those players that have been excluded don't want to play no more.

Have you ever FC'd a small gang and tried telling them, "hey, this guy wants a :goodfight: so only one of us can fight him"?

Try it some time. On the other hand, you could also try learning about the nature of EVE and adapting to it, rather than trying to change the nature of EVE to suit you. There are many solo-pvp'ers who have done just that, and I myself find plenty of :goodfights: on a regular basis. You also find bad ones, but you'll find them in a gang as well.

So no, EVE shouldn't do more to encourage the "goodfight" or make it more common, because if it tries it first has to establish an objective definition of a good fight. Ask any number of players what a good fight is, and many of them will tell you it's any fight they can win. That's the nature of EVE, and to change that nature, you have to change the entire game and the core tenets that make it what it is.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#223 - 2014-07-13 06:07:47 UTC
I agree with the OP on this one. New players are vital to the continued growth and success of EvE. Personally i think this issue boils down to those players that believe the game should be played in a particular way, almost always the exact way they play the game. The fact is, they are wrong. EvE is great for exactly the reason it allows lots of different play styles. Everyone gets from EvE exactly what it is that they enjoy. From the most hardened PvP pirate scumbag scammer to the AFK mining single parent. Doesn't matter how little time you have to play, or your individual tastes in computer games, EvE offers something to everyone.

It's often the narrow-minded selfish players that see other players doing the things they hate, and they simply dismiss them, as if they are playing the game wrong. Their selfishness is highlighted the moment they say that these players should unsub, or that it is good they they don't bother playing. They rate their own enjoyment over the success of the game itself.

Personally, i think that anyone that truly loves EvE, for it's uniquely diverse and interesting universe, should see the obvious importance of constantly gaining new members. We want EvE to continue to grow and be successful, so that it can stand the test of time. Those players that dismiss them, or think they aren't needed or unwanted, are ignorant and selfish in the extreme, and would see their own niche play-style take precedence over the game itself.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#224 - 2014-07-13 06:12:24 UTC
Xen Solarus wrote:

It's often the narrow-minded selfish players that see other players doing the things they hate, and they simply dismiss them, as if they are playing the game wrong. Their selfishness is highlighted the moment they say that these players should unsub, or that it is good they they don't bother playing. They rate their own enjoyment over the success of the game itself.

Personally, i think that anyone that truly loves EvE, for it's uniquely diverse and interesting universe, should see the obvious importance of constantly gaining new members. We want EvE to continue to grow and be successful, so that it can stand the test of time. Those players that dismiss them, or think they aren't needed or unwanted, are ignorant and selfish in the extreme, and would see their own niche play-style take precedence over the game itself.

This entire quote can be pointed at carebears. The kind of "player" who thinks that differing playstyles should be banned, or nerfed out of existence. And does their best to make it so.

Selfish scum. They'd rather see their niche playstyle take precedence over the game itself.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#225 - 2014-07-13 06:59:43 UTC
Gavin Dax wrote:
So shouldn't EVE do more to encourage the good fight/make it more common?

If a tactic is almost exclusively used to kill someone with impugnity, then players should encourage CCP to change it. Some of these tactics show up on GD quite often (afk cloaking, hot dropping, hisec crime mechanics) but I believe the question whether any of these are an exploit is very contentious.

I think you're asking a philosophical question here, and it's better to talk about specifics (ie: how would EVE encourage that?).

Quote:
But I don't see why it has to be hard for 5 to find another 5. Or why 40 must give you an advantage over 5 in every conflict. In RL, you can fight in terrain that helps smaller groups engage larger ones. You can take valuable cargo hostage/create incentives for more surgical strikes. In EVE, the ability to do this is pretty much limited by your ability to split a fleet on a gate via aggression mechanics, but I don't see a reason why there can't be other mechanics that allow for this in *certain* aspects of the game. Also, things like the ideas in Manfred's thread which I interpret as localizing EVE (and thus increasing the amount of smaller-scale conflict that occurs).

Let's say there is some kind of terrain advantage we can invent to give as an advantage the 5 can take advantage of. If this advantage exists in the game, then what if the 40 get this advantage too? What if the 40 have this advantage but the 5 don't? I'm alluding to Malcanis's Law. Invariably, if you create an advantage of this sort, it will be *more likely* that bands of 40 will end up gaining this advantage in greater frequency because they will have more resources, and more eyes and hands.

I think we might be tempted to fantasize that the 5 are Jedi and the 40 are stormtroopers.. and that somehow the Jedi should be able to build themselves an advantage. But in an MMO, everyone is a Jedi. The 5 Jedi don't happen to be legendary superheroes, and the 40 don't happen to be goons (no pun intended) with terrible aim.

The *only* advantages that CCP can't manufacture is (1) player skill, (2) player numbers. I'm not convinced that #1 is so devalued as to make it worthless. I know that guys like Remiel would disagree.

I believe instancing is bad. Any system in EVE is completely open to any bullets flying by. You're in war, and anyone can jump in and contribute to the carnage. Insulating combat from this wrecks the vicious beauty of the game, in my opinion.. and it isolates people, which will eventually make EVE appear to shrink.

Quote:
Not to mention by the time you realize you need help in HS you're pretty much dead no matter what, even if you could call for help. The thing is, why shouldn't the game make it easier for players to coordinate in this way? In HS, where many players share common interests, they often just need ice-breakers to coordinate.

I think this is a more complicated issue.

The economics simply don't exist for players to band together to do anything in hisec, except gank overstuffed freighters. So players must find other motivations. Gankers have an easy motivation, because killing together really is a lot of fun. You feel pumped. You feel solidarity. Doing protection detail is boring, and with the razor thin margins that haulers and miners see it doesn't make a lot of sense in hisec to pay protection detail.

There is a lot of storming and forming in anti-ganking. The movement is plagued by pilots who can't seem to stop trolling, and the channel itself can often be toxic and unhelpful even though there are folks on it who are great pilots. Anti-gankers can be hobbyists, they may not assemble in large groups, not backed by billions in funds, lack good propaganda (instead, losing the battle against bad propaganda) and no monolithic or iconic corp exists to champion the cause.

I hope I didn't miss anything.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#226 - 2014-07-13 07:11:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
I did miss a couple of things.

Gavin Dax wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:

CONCORD reps: I must seriously ask you why you don't have friends repping you, or booster alts.

Do you think that makes the game better? A requirement that you have booster alts and friends to rep you *everywhere* you go, even in HS, for the relatively rare time that you are engaged by pirates? That's just tedious gameplay and boring IMO. Forming-up *in response* to aggression is more fun, or forming up as the aggressor knowing that you'll get a fight or else reward for doing so.

I do, actually. Being able to use an alt for this is an alternative for people who really don't like other people (I believe some people genuinely feel this way). Otherwise, I think it's fair to expect that if you want your ship to "heal" then you have a friend do it for you.

What would be the alternative? Healing buffs? I'll reference my last post directly above.. you provide this advantage to the "victim" (small groups, PVEers) and almost certainly the aggressors will take advantage of it and make life much worse for the "victims" than it already is.

Quote:
And you could ask the same question in another way. CONCORD guns - why don't you have friends shoot for you? Might as well remove HS (note: personally I would not have a problem with that :)

Gate guns, CONCORD, FacPo.. these elements are there as deterrents for gankers who are squeamish about paying the price of crime. The existence of these mechanics isn't an issue, in my opinion, because they exist as part of the definition of hisec, lowsec and do not exist (again by definition) in null or WH. The debate is how strong these mechanics should be (in favor of the aggressor or the defender)..

Quote:
instancing is probably bad for EVE, but I don't think it would necessarily be the end of the world as a lot of people do - it depends on the implementation and what exactly is instanced. Arenas could be implemented without instancing. EVE could have "arenas" IMO, defined as places that basically say "come here if you want a cruiser 1v1" similar to FW plexes. Could be player-built, etc. But any idea of an arena is usually shot down without any useful discussion about the problems that the idea attempts to resolve.

I'll give you my reason against it.. you may disagree with it. I'm not an RPer, but I do get immersed in the EVE universe when I play the game. It makes *sense* to me that you can get shot at anywhere. If there were an arena, why doesn't somebody just break through the walls and shoot at people inside?

Well maybe CONCORD built the arena and their tech is so strong nobody can go inside. Who knows. I just don't think it fits..

Edit: I think Azda makes a better argument here.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#227 - 2014-07-13 07:35:01 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

In order to do this, EVE would have to actively discourage escalation and friends getting together.

This is simply not true. There are already elements of this in the game right now. Wormholes (mass limits), gate aggression (allow you to split a fleet), and kiting are the big 3. EVE could have more of this.

Imagine something like FW zones that had mechanics to encourage smaller-engagement sizes. Something like WH mass, but for acceleration gates, or timers, so only X ships could take the gate every time interval. Chase someone in your fleet of 40? They took the acceleration gate? Send your best pilot after him. Or wait for him to come out and camp him in system. Or go somewhere else. You still need that big fleet for POS bashes, SOV timers, and everything else that you do now in EVE. But now you *also* have a new mechanic that makes certain people happy and supports their interests.

Another example is PvE sites that you run in groups of 3-4, and that naturally take you to a places where you'll contest with another group of 3-4. Maybe allow bringing more, but then it becomes less economical, etc.

I don't know the best ways to do this. But there are ways that are much better than what I just described and more natural as well (no hard limits - just a mechanic that increases the likelihood you will run into a fleet similar to yours). Saying otherwise is being overly dismissive, as is assuming that this would "actively discourage escalation and friends getting together" in EVE. If anything, it would encourage getting together but in smaller groups, and only in some cases... the factors that encourage big fleets can still exist as they do now.

Remiel Pollard wrote:

Have you ever FC'd a small gang and tried telling them, "hey, this guy wants a :goodfight: so only one of us can fight him"?

Not in those exact words, but yes, I've been in fleets where we engaged with less than we could have to get a good fight. Honor brawl. And it's a bit silly, tbh, to even have do that... it would be much better if that happened naturally in the game.

Remiel Pollard wrote:

On the other hand, you could also try learning about the nature of EVE and adapting to it, rather than trying to change the nature of EVE to suit you.

In other words, you think EVE is perfect. Or if not, we should adapt or accept its current state, else stop playing.

Remiel Pollard wrote:

There are many solo-pvp'ers who have done just that, and I myself find plenty of :goodfights: on a regular basis.

Then you should know how situational it is. Go to FW space in a frigate, guaranteed you can find good fights easily. It's all downhill from there. I never said it was impossible, but it shouldn't be as difficult as it is now. To say CCP can't do things to make this better is just wrong, and saying that they shouldn't, well that's your opinion then and I disagree with it.

Remiel Pollard wrote:

So no, EVE shouldn't do more to encourage the "goodfight" or make it more common, because if it tries it first has to establish an objective definition of a good fight.

No it doesn't. I've already described what a good fight is - one based more on skill. I still don't see why EVE shouldn't do more to encourage this in some aspects of the game. I don't think a blanket dismissal is warranted, either.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#228 - 2014-07-13 07:38:32 UTC
Gavin Dax wrote:

No it doesn't. I've already described what a good fight is - one based more on skill. I still don't see why EVE shouldn't do more to encourage this in some aspects of the game. I don't think a blanket dismissal is warranted, either.

I personally think people who spend all their time crying about "skill" need to find a flight simulator.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#229 - 2014-07-13 08:04:29 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

But in an MMO, everyone is a Jedi. The 5 Jedi don't happen to be legendary superheroes, and the 40 don't happen to be goons (no pun intended) with terrible aim.

lol, nice pun. I agree with you on this. I don't think you need to give any one person an advantage to balance 5 vs. 40 though. Think mini-wormholes with a mass-limit of a few ships. Just one example. And simply providing a means for that fleet of 5 to be more likely to run into another fleet of 5, than the fleet of 40, is another aspect of this that wouldn't have the consequences you describe.

Sibyyl wrote:

Gankers have an easy motivation, because killing together really is a lot of fun. You feel pumped. You feel solidarity. Doing protection detail is boring, and with the razor thin margins that haulers and miners see it doesn't make a lot of sense in hisec to pay protection detail.

Yeah. I don't think this is as simple as "buff/nerf ganking". It's more complicated. HS mechanics could be reworked to be more engaging overall, IMO, and that could potentially have a huge impact on the new player experience.

Sibyyl wrote:

What would be the alternative? Healing buffs?

Yeah. Maybe that could be taken advantage of... but I think defensive mechanics are better than aggressive ones for security enforcement. At least it would encourage more PvP, if CONCORD didn't do all the shooting for you.

Sibyyl wrote:

It makes *sense* to me that you can get shot at anywhere. If there were an arena, why doesn't somebody just break through the walls and shoot at people inside?

Well, we have POS shields. But yeah, I think that's too extreme for sure. I guess what I mean is I agree with the concept of an open arena. Where people can shoot you inside. But you can defend it, and should have the appropriate tools to do so (whether or not that's anything extra than is available already, idk).
Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#230 - 2014-07-13 08:05:43 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gavin Dax wrote:

I personally think people who spend all their time crying about "skill" need to find a flight simulator.

I was wondering when the trolls would show up.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#231 - 2014-07-13 08:11:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Gavin Dax wrote:

Remiel Pollard wrote:

So no, EVE shouldn't do more to encourage the "goodfight" or make it more common, because if it tries it first has to establish an objective definition of a good fight.

Your definition of a good fight is not everyone's definition, and some people don't consider losing as very skillful. So again, someone will need to define good fight for CCP to make the necessary changes, or instead of trying to get the devs to make changes to the core tenets of the game, you can accept that sometimes you'll get good fights, sometimes you won't, and adapt to the nature of the game accordingly. Do you really think it's going to be possible for everyone to get what they consider a good fight all of the time? Is it more naive to dismiss unnecessary and probably damaging changes to the game, or to suggest that everyone can be happy with what they're getting from it all the time? I know the answer, of course, but now it's time for you to accuse me of trolling....

In the meantime, I've been mostly-solo pvp'ing since September 2012, and I can tell you if you're not finding fights that require skill to survive and/or win, then you simply aren't trying hard enough.

EDIT: Let me tell you my definition of a good fight. A good fight is like good sex: whether you're doing the *******, or you're the one getting ******, if you don't finish feeling like a cigarette and a nap, then it wasn't a good fight. And fyi, good sex doesn't require skill, just some rudimentary up-and-down motion.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Dave Stark
#232 - 2014-07-13 08:17:07 UTC
every fight in eve is based on skill, therefore all fights are good fights.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#233 - 2014-07-13 08:19:56 UTC
Gavin Dax wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gavin Dax wrote:

You're playing a game with almost functionally zero combat flight controls. You can double click in space, or you can issue rote commands.

So please, tell me about how "skill" plays such an important role. I'm all ears.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Dave Stark
#234 - 2014-07-13 08:23:39 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gavin Dax wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Gavin Dax wrote:

You're playing a game with almost functionally zero combat flight controls. You can double click in space, or you can issue rote commands.

So please, tell me about how "skill" plays such an important role. I'm all ears.

don't worry i get the same kind of response when i point out that missioning and mining are basically identical since they just involve "lock target, hit f1, recieve bacon". yet apparently somehow combat is harder, yet nobody ever manages to tell me how.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#235 - 2014-07-13 08:29:08 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:

don't worry i get the same kind of response when i point out that missioning and mining are basically identical since they just involve "lock target, hit f1, recieve bacon". yet apparently somehow combat is harder, yet nobody ever manages to tell me how.

Oh, that's simple. Asteroids can't kill you if you don't fit correctly.

Don't get me wrong, they're both mindless, meaningless forms of gameplay, but missions at least set the bar higher than mining. But mostly only because it's impossible to set the bar lower than mining without actually botting.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Dave Stark
#236 - 2014-07-13 08:32:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Oh, that's simple. Asteroids can't kill you if you don't fit correctly.

Don't get me wrong, they're both mindless, meaningless forms of gameplay, but missions at least set the bar higher than mining. But mostly only because it's impossible to set the bar lower than mining without actually botting.

no, but high sec rats will. contrary to popular belief, high sec belts do spawn rats.
also, comparing a ship not fit for purpose, to a ship fit for purpose is comparing apples to oranges and doesn't hold any weight.
Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#237 - 2014-07-13 08:35:10 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

In the meantime, I've been mostly-solo pvp'ing since September 2012, and I can tell you if you're not finding fights that require skill to survive and/or win, then you simply aren't trying hard enough.

I never said it was impossible, or that it doesn't happen, or that it's not fun as it is now. I just said I think more could be done to make this better. And while you or I don't necessarily mind going out to look for content, some players do. If the game can bring that naturally in more places, then I think that's a good thing.

And I defined what skill meant as well. A good fight is one where your ability to manage your modules, pilot your ship, pick your targets, fit/choose your ship, etc. matters more. That's why you feel "tired" and "satisfied" after a good fight - because for you to win it requires you to do more than press F1. And if you lost it was still fun because you were actually doing something engaging.

Dave Stark wrote:

A better fight, by my definition, is the one that is *more* based on skill.

Dave Stark wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

I can't tell if you guys are serious or not. Have you ever tried solo PvP? Or been part of a small combat fleet? Range control, traversal, rep management, off-lining MWD to give you more cap for example... +many many many more things
Dave Stark
#238 - 2014-07-13 08:38:37 UTC
Gavin Dax wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

A better fight, by my definition, is the one that is *more* based on skill.

it's either based on skill, or it isn't. there's no scale here. it's a 0 or 1 variable.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#239 - 2014-07-13 08:41:59 UTC
Gavin Dax wrote:

I can't tell if you guys are serious or not. Have you ever tried solo PvP? Or been part of a small combat fleet? Range control, traversal, rep management, off-lining MWD to give you more cap for example... +many many many more things

Are you kidding? Most of those things are decisions. You make the decision correctly and live, or you don't and you die. I love how you put "range control" in there though. There's a button for that by the way.

But hey, apparently "don't make bad choices" is called "skill" now in EVE Online. I suppose next he'll be telling us that the MWD+Cloak trick is "skill" too.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Yee Ant
Indus Pirotech
#240 - 2014-07-13 09:32:56 UTC
like all pvp games, pvp matches are as much about your pc and fps as about your fit. people who claim to be "skilled" should get a life and try learning a "skill" in real life.