These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why new people are critical to EvE

First post
Author
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#201 - 2014-07-11 23:15:02 UTC
Lok Chen wrote:
subscription gaming is something that will not exist much longer. Why pay for something that you can get for free?

Like seriously in todays internet world games are provided for free, and revenue comes from ingame purchases. A model like eve has is a model which doesn't have any future. In the future games are free and survive on ingame purchases.

We can buy gametime for free at 600mil ingame money. For newcomers this is their target which is very very hard to achieve. So it basicly means you are stuck with paying for your gametime.

The only way eve online can survive is by letting gamers play for free and letting people pay for ingame purchases,. The same way it is going with mobile games. This paid model is dead and gone very soon.

What are you, an EA rep?

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#202 - 2014-07-12 00:34:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Gavin Dax
Jenn aSide wrote:

...snip...

Nowhere did I say I wanted to simplify EVE or make it like checkers. Wanting to reduce the amount of time people spend waiting/looking for content in the game does not necessarily mean I think EVE should provide "instant gratification". I don't get the need to jump to conclusions here or be so dismissive.

Regarding the chess analogy, I don't really think EVE is like chess. Games like Starcraft are a lot more like chess. "Winning" in EVE is more dependent on the number of friends/supporters you have and your willingness to grind in the game (waiting for the titan pilot to log in so you can gank him for example). Skill is less of a factor in EVE than time/effort and # of friends a lot of the time. But I don't think this needs to permeate every aspect of the game (and it doesn't right now - but I do think more could be done to encourage more balanced and smaller-scale conflict in the game, which is inherently more accessible to new players and also generally more enjoyable). This does not mean destroy the sandbox - that depends on the implementation, and saying otherwise is jumping to conclusions and being overly dismissive.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#203 - 2014-07-12 00:44:09 UTC
Lok Chen wrote:

We can buy gametime for free at 600mil ingame money.

Are you a time traveller?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#204 - 2014-07-12 02:32:27 UTC
Rowells wrote:
Eve is like S&M.

Some people find pleasure in it and others find it just painful.

I love this!

I think some people will complain no matter what. Hang them with a new rope and they'll complain it's too scratchy on their neck P
Gostina Mishina
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#205 - 2014-07-12 13:39:06 UTC
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
[...{T}hose of you who want a radical change but are still playing anyway fall in to the category that they don't need to change to satisfy, because you are already paying, it doesn't matter how 'satisfied' or not you are, your money is in the tin).

If *enough* of our money were in the tin, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It may or may not be true that subs are falling, but it's pretty much assured that they aren't climbing, and climbing subs are what CCP has said it wants.

Whether or not you or I want radical change, and whether or not we could ever agree on what consitutes "radical," significant change is on the way--unless CCP has abandoned the goal of major growth.

A big and lasting uptick in subs is not going to come from incremental change, or from marketing, or from vets being nicer to n00bs. It might come from whatever new space devs are going to open up, but it will be something big. Or from a lot of fairly large somethings. Perhaps CCP thinks it has hit on a formula to retain more vets more than luring new players.

CCP wants big growth, so you and I are eventually going to have to adapt to big changes. CCP hasn't told us yet what those changes are going to be, but they are already being developed. Be ready.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#206 - 2014-07-12 13:42:53 UTC
Gostina Mishina wrote:
...it's pretty much assured that they aren't climbing, and climbing subs are what CCP has said it wants.

If it's so assured, then you'll be able to easily provide the data that shows this.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#207 - 2014-07-12 14:11:16 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Gostina Mishina wrote:
...it's pretty much assured that they aren't climbing, and climbing subs are what CCP has said it wants.

If it's so assured, then you'll be able to easily provide the data that shows this.

Everyone knows Eve is dying P
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#208 - 2014-07-12 14:34:43 UTC
IIshira wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Gostina Mishina wrote:

Everyone knows Eve is dying P

Since 2003(TM).

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#209 - 2014-07-12 14:35:59 UTC
There's no reason for anyone to keep playing a game (much less keep paying for it) if they are not having any fun with it.

It's unfortunate, but Eve is not for everyone. You can say them same thing for any game, really. No one game can ever say it's fun for everyone. Some people like playing something that has enormous depth or unforgiving hazards or sheer complexities. Others prefer a simple hack-and-slash or shooter. Some people enjoy competitive/cooperative nature of MMO's, while others stick with single-player games. That's kind of the beauty of the gaming industry; there's something for everyone. There's just no one-size-fits-all game. You just gotta find what's fun and engaging for you.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#210 - 2014-07-12 15:33:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
Gavin Dax wrote:
Games like Starcraft are a lot more like chess. "Winning" in EVE is more dependent on the number of friends/supporters you have and your willingness to grind in the game (waiting for the titan pilot to log in so you can gank him for example). Skill is less of a factor in EVE than time/effort and # of friends a lot of the time.

One single player game (Starcraft) is just like another single player game (Chess)? Your insight is truly impressive. (and before someone argues, there is typically only a single player to a side in both games)

EVE is like chess in the sense that strategic decisions have far reaching implications and easily trump tactics. But someone with a perfectly fitted fleet with no "skill", as you put it, is not going to get very far in space without dying. In chess the formation of your pieces will absolutely determine how difficult or easy the rest of your game is. But individual moves have the power to topple even the most well thought out rook/pawn fortresses.

I can't believe your complaint of an *MMO* is that it needs people working together for better results.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Yee Ant
Indus Pirotech
#211 - 2014-07-12 19:21:17 UTC
The only way Eve can gain a temporary but decent bump in active players is by going free to play, with in game skills experience instead of time based, or a shrinking of the eve map so as to squeeze existing playerbase into a smaller area.. A few black holes or stars going supernova might do the trick.

Neither is going to happen before Eve online reaches the end of its natural time, and fades like all, even the best, games. What we should really be looking for, is an EVE2, or EVEnxtGen or something.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#212 - 2014-07-12 19:24:38 UTC
If Chess was like Eve

My Bishops have your King excommunicated and my AWOXing Rook kills your Queen

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#213 - 2014-07-12 23:16:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Gavin Dax
Sibyyl wrote:

One single player game (Starcraft) is just like another single player game (Chess)? Your insight is truly impressive. (and before someone argues, there is typically only a single player to a side in both games)

EVE is like chess in the sense that strategic decisions have far reaching implications and easily trump tactics. But someone with a perfectly fitted fleet with no "skill", as you put it, is not going to get very far in space without dying. In chess the formation of your pieces will absolutely determine how difficult or easy the rest of your game is. But individual moves have the power to topple even the most well thought out rook/pawn fortresses.

I never said EVE doesn't have chess-like aspects. But whether or not EVE is like chess is a stupid thing to argue about, so I'll leave it at that.

Sibyyl wrote:

I can't believe your complaint of an *MMO* is that it needs people working together for better results.

Thank you for proving my point once again that so many on the forums jump to conclusions and over-exaggerate. If you actually think I said this then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you've misinterpreted my post. And if you don't actually think I said this, then it would mean you feel a need to lie to defend your position for some reason.

What I said was that skill and strategy are less important in many aspects of EVE when compared to the number of people you have on your side and the time/effort that you put in. I also never said that this was a bad thing.

That said, it is inherently more fun to resolve conflicts based on strategy/skill. Fighting a fleet of 7 with your fleet of 5 is a lot more fun than fighting, or being ganked by, a fleet of 40, or just avoiding such a conflict to begin with. My point is that while the ladder should definitely be possible, there is no reason why time/effort/numbers need to decide the outcome in every in-game conflict (and as I said, it doesn't) or why the game should be designed to encourage that type of (in many players' opinon boring) gameplay all the time.

Since it's inherently more fun to resolve conflict based on skill/strategy, that means that more things could be done in the game to encourage the first type of engagement in the interest of making EVE more fun for more people. That's it. That's all I'm saying. If that means giving players more tools/reasons to form-up together (e.g. distress calls in HS to call for help, more time before you're killed, think CONCORD that reps you instead of kill the enemy, idk...), or making EVE more localized to encourage smaller-scale engagements (see Manfred Sideous' proposed changes in F&I) then those are things that should be considered IMO and not immediately dismissed, as they are by so often, with a jump to conclusions or claim that EVE is working as intended.
Constantin Makanen
#214 - 2014-07-13 00:03:21 UTC
Skydell wrote:
There are no new players to EVE. Anyone who was every going to try EVE Online has done so.

This is wrong.
Take me as a example. I have never heard of EVE till 2012 and found it just by accident.
The truth is, EVE has or had a ****** PR management.

This game is like a amazing ghost ship in a literal sense!
Terminator 2
Omega Boost
#215 - 2014-07-13 00:09:32 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
If Chess was like Eve

EVE is best game ever. The weak need to be purged...this is no preschool playground.

No one wants to hear your lamentation while they are having a good time.

Wise up and ask for help if you can't figure it out for yourself how to minimize losses and maximize profit. Use your brain and figure it out. If you don't have a brain go play battlefield, WOW on non-pvp servers or solitaire.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#216 - 2014-07-13 00:13:10 UTC
Constantin Makanen wrote:
Skydell wrote:
There are no new players to EVE. Anyone who was every going to try EVE Online has done so.

This is wrong.
Take me as a example. I have never heard of EVE till 2012 and found it just by accident.
The truth is, EVE has or had a ****** PR management.

Tip of the iceberg, my friend. Tip of the iceberg.

You'll get used to it.

P

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#217 - 2014-07-13 00:19:33 UTC
Terminator 2 wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
If Chess was like Eve

EVE is best game ever. The weak need to be purged...this is no preschool playground.

No one wants to hear your lamentation while they are having a good time.

Wise up and ask for help if you can't figure it out for yourself how to minimize losses and maximize profit. Use your brain and figure it out. If you don't have a brain go play battlefield, WOW on non-pvp servers or solitaire.

Wow, this was so far left-field I don't even know where to begin.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#218 - 2014-07-13 01:03:34 UTC
Gavin, I'm not here to troll you so let's have a discussion just on the points.

Gavin Dax wrote:
What I said was that skill and strategy are less important in many aspects of EVE when compared to the number of people you have on your side and the time/effort that you put in. I also never said that this was a bad thing.

That said, it is inherently more fun to resolve conflicts based on strategy/skill.

Let's assume your point about EVE is true. Can you give me an example of an MMO where strategy and skill is more relevant in a PVP situation? Do you consider twitch based button pushing skill? Please elaborate what you mean by skill..

I am asking because in fights I get in, it sure seems like I am *missing* a lot of skill when compared to another player who kills me, and my tactics aren't very sound. It seems like to me I have a lot of ground to gain in this area. What would you call these skills?

I know where you're going.. e-honorable fights are few and far between? Roam around in a frigate and twenty bombers and a cap will hotdrop you? If you know this will happen (which you should), isn't it strategic to come with friends?

Quote:
Fighting a fleet of 7 with your fleet of 5 is a lot more fun than fighting, or being ganked by, a fleet of 40, or just avoiding such a conflict to begin with. My point is that while the ladder should definitely be possible, there is no reason why time/effort/numbers need to decide the outcome in every in-game conflict (and as I said, it doesn't) or why the game should be designed to encourage that type of (in many players' opinon boring) gameplay all the time.

Honest question.. do you not find it impressive that 40 people get together and do fun things in this game? Can you tell me about other games where this routinely happens?

Why do you think CCP should create rules that would give 5 living breathing players an advantage over 40 living breathing players (if all else is equal)? Does that sound fair to you?

Quote:
Since it's inherently more fun to resolve conflict based on skill/strategy, that means that more things could be done in the game to encourage the first type of engagement in the interest of making EVE more fun for more people. That's it. That's all I'm saying. If that means giving players more tools/reasons to form-up together (e.g. distress calls in HS to call for help, more time before you're killed, think CONCORD that reps you instead of kill the enemy, idk...), or making EVE more localized to encourage smaller-scale engagements (see Manfred Sideous' proposed changes in F&I)

Distress calls in HS: This is called Local, System, Constellation chat channels, Help, and many other public forums where people can ask for help. Miners or freighter pilots can come ask for help in Anti-Ganking channel, for example.

CONCORD reps: I must seriously ask you why you don't have friends repping you, or booster alts.

I'll go read Manfred's thread, but I have to say it has to be a suggestion that does not advocate instancing. Note, this automatically excludes arenas.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#219 - 2014-07-13 03:46:38 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Gavin, I'm not here to troll you so let's have a discussion just on the points.

Thanks. Appreciated.

Sibyyl wrote:

Let's assume your point about EVE is true. Can you give me an example of an MMO where strategy and skill is more relevant in a PVP situation? Do you consider twitch based button pushing skill? Please elaborate what you mean by skill..

I'm not really familiar with other MMOs, so I don't know if any exist where this is the case. I think twitch based button pushing is a skill. In EVE, by skill I mean things like how you pilot your ship, how you fit it, how you pick targets/fights/fleet comp, manage your modules, etc.

Sibyyl wrote:

I know where you're going.. e-honorable fights are few and far between? Roam around in a frigate and twenty bombers and a cap will hotdrop you? If you know this will happen (which you should), isn't it strategic to come with friends?

Yeah, that is strategic. But it's not always possible or desirable. My point is that if you don't come with more friends, the options are 1) no fight because you run, or 2) there is a fight but probably a less-engaging (and less skill dependent) one. Again, I don't have a problem with that. But the fact is many people don't find 1) or 2) as fun as the good fight. So shouldn't EVE do more to encourage the good fight/make it more common?

Sibyyl wrote:

Honest question.. do you not find it impressive that 40 people get together and do fun things in this game? Can you tell me about other games where this routinely happens?

Why do you think CCP should create rules that would give 5 living breathing players an advantage over 40 living breathing players (if all else is equal)? Does that sound fair to you?

I do find it impressive that 40 people can get together and coordinate in the way that they do in EVE, yes. Perhaps you misunderstand what I'm saying or I haven't said it well. I don't generally have a problem that 40 have a significant advantage over 5. But I don't see why it has to be hard for 5 to find another 5. Or why 40 must give you an advantage over 5 in every conflict. In RL, you can fight in terrain that helps smaller groups engage larger ones. You can take valuable cargo hostage/create incentives for more surgical strikes. In EVE, the ability to do this is pretty much limited by your ability to split a fleet on a gate via aggression mechanics, but I don't see a reason why there can't be other mechanics that allow for this in *certain* aspects of the game. Also, things like the ideas in Manfred's thread which I interpret as localizing EVE (and thus increasing the amount of smaller-scale conflict that occurs).
Gavin Dax
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#220 - 2014-07-13 03:47:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Gavin Dax
Continued from above, since forum limits # of quotes per post.

Sibyyl wrote:

Distress calls in HS: This is called Local, System, Constellation chat channels, Help, and many other public forums where people can ask for help. Miners or freighter pilots can come ask for help in Anti-Ganking channel, for example.

Yes, but then why doesn't this happen more often then? Wouldn't it make the game more engaging and fun for *both* sides? It requires time and effort, to the point that it's just too boring for a lot of players to deal with in HS. Not to mention by the time you realize you need help in HS you're pretty much dead no matter what, even if you could call for help. The thing is, why shouldn't the game make it easier for players to coordinate in this way? In HS, where many players share common interests, they often just need ice-breakers to coordinate. The game could help provide those ice-breakers IMO.

Sibyyl wrote:

CONCORD reps: I must seriously ask you why you don't have friends repping you, or booster alts.

Do you think that makes the game better? A requirement that you have booster alts and friends to rep you *everywhere* you go, even in HS, for the relatively rare time that you are engaged by pirates? That's just tedious gameplay and boring IMO. Forming-up *in response* to aggression is more fun, or forming up as the aggressor knowing that you'll get a fight or else reward for doing so.

And you could ask the same question in another way. CONCORD guns - why don't you have friends shoot for you? Might as well remove HS (note: personally I would not have a problem with that :)

Sibyyl wrote:

I'll go read Manfred's thread, but I have to say it has to be a suggestion that does not advocate instancing. Note, this automatically excludes arenas.

It doesn't. I agree, instancing is probably bad for EVE, but I don't think it would necessarily be the end of the world as a lot of people do - it depends on the implementation and what exactly is instanced. Arenas could be implemented without instancing. EVE could have "arenas" IMO, defined as places that basically say "come here if you want a cruiser 1v1" similar to FW plexes. Could be player-built, etc. But any idea of an arena is usually shot down without any useful discussion about the problems that the idea attempts to resolve.