These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE end game, a Rich Man's Game?

Author
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#101 - 2014-07-04 11:42:06 UTC
Da'iel Zehn wrote:
I don't see flying dreads, carriers, super carriers, or titans as the end game.

More like not logging in supercarrier or titans.

unless your endgame is vince draken's superwreckingball fleet

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#102 - 2014-07-04 12:36:29 UTC
If you define your endgame in terms of the things you could not do when you began playing because you could not afford it then of course your endgame is a rich man's game.
Similarly if you define your endgame based on the things you believed you could not do as a newbie because you lacked skills the endgame becomes something for highly skilled characters.

Of course, if you define your endgame as being able to jump in a Rifter and go out and shoot stuff whenever you want then the endgame is neither a highly skilled, nor rich man's game...
Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#103 - 2014-07-04 17:38:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Jandice Ymladris
THCS wrote:
. As a semi-casual player and full-time worker that doesn't want to play $540/ year or 480 hrs of my time just to keep a float in eve, its pretty hard to keep up with and enjoy eve content.

You are aware there's a yearly subscription plan yes? That costs 131 Euro a year (dunno the amount in other currencies, but I assume it's about equal value)
While it indeed takes a bite out your real-life wallet, it's actually fairly reasonable, you pay 131 euro a year for your hobby, sounds pretty okay for me! Quite some hobbies are more expensive on a yearly basis.
From the conversion 540 dollar = 480 hr, it does seem subscription is still kind of expensive for you (roughly guessed 131 euro = 120 hours I think)

While I do get you want to pay your account with PLEX so it doesn't consume any RL currency as it can be very tight forpeople, you should be able to make it okay with 2-3 accounts, especially if you do wormholes, even simply raiding them is very profitable (aka you scan m out, jump in, do sites and jump out).

Another option is to specialize one of your alts into incursions & join one of a multitude of the incursion groups for big isk. Your other alts/chars can then do a variety of isk-generating stff wile your incursion char is in queue to join an incursion fleet.

My advice would be to specialize your chars, to easier isk making: Scan-alt, plexrunners/WH Site runners, Incursion runner. Such acts will bolwter your isk-profit greatly.

In short:

Pay by Plex: gameplay geared for profit, to buy monthly PLEX and to cover for months with subpar isk income & to cover isk-expenses (new ships, replacement ships etc)

Pay by Subscription: More time for the enjoyable stuff, without stressing an isk income to pay for your subscription, just keep an income afloat to buy new ships/replace ships

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

000Hunter000
Missiles 'R' Us
#104 - 2014-07-04 18:20:41 UTC
Chribba wrote:
End game: Escape life and relax, stress down.

This offcourse...

Get out of the house a lil and smell the flowers Big smile
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#105 - 2014-07-04 18:36:29 UTC
The true "end game" here is something far bigger than any PVP battle.... aka "Spreadsheets Online".

Think of it as this games iteration of the "Golden Rule".

P

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

flakeys
Doomheim
#106 - 2014-07-05 10:03:47 UTC  |  Edited by: flakeys
THCS wrote:

Idk, I kinda want eve developers to bring price of plexs down because this inflation trend is really putty a strain on my RL time and In-game budget. Do any of you Eve Vets share the same sentiment?

You have choosen to 'grind ' your isk for 10 years in eve.It would have been wiser in the meantime to start a profession that would let you lower your 'grind' every month but you have choosen not to and as such even after 10 years of playing eve you are still stuck in the grind.

That is not the fault of CCP but of your own doing.

That said , plex is a product you can CHOOSE to pay for your gametime but not need as there still is the paying option for your subscription , it is an added luxury in eve.If you feel that it requires too much effort to keep your accounts active and that you don't think eve is worthy of paying for it with rl cash then my only suggestion can be to either play with only 1 account or not play at all.

So no , this vet does not share your sentiment.

By the way on a sidenote , i also don't agree with the statement that 'capitals is the endgame' .

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

flakeys
Doomheim
#107 - 2014-07-05 10:06:37 UTC
Jacob Holland wrote:
If you define your endgame in terms of the things you could not do when you began playing because you could not afford it then of course your endgame is a rich man's game.
Similarly if you define your endgame based on the things you believed you could not do as a newbie because you lacked skills the endgame becomes something for highly skilled characters.

Of course, if you define your endgame as being able to jump in a Rifter and go out and shoot stuff whenever you want then the endgame is neither a highly skilled, nor rich man's game...

Now this IS how i view endgame.To me endgame means just as the word describes having reached the end of the game.In eve's case that would mean to me having done everything i can in eve to it's fullest and even after 10 years of having played eve i still have not reached that endgame by far .

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Edmark I
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#108 - 2014-07-05 17:13:28 UTC
Jimmy O'Shanty wrote:
End game? This "thing of ours" doesn't end.

True Story!
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#109 - 2014-07-05 17:22:03 UTC
OP wrote:

OP, you are posting in EVE's end game.

You don't need to be rich and you only need one active sub to participate.

Mr Epeen Cool
Xavier Liche
ACME Mineral and Gas
#110 - 2014-07-06 15:40:01 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
OP wrote:

OP, you are posting in EVE's end game.

You don't need to be rich and you only need one active sub to participate.

Mr Epeen Cool

lol

/thread
True Sight
Deep Freeze Industries
#111 - 2014-07-06 15:44:18 UTC
Ultimately, eve is a subscription based game, you are meant to pay a monthly fee to gain access to the services, for almost all MMO Subscription games, there is no way to avoid this.

the PLEX system provides a unique situation where those with enough wealth in-game can effectively buy their gametime with their wealth, from those with the real-world wealth to spend on PLEX they sell for ISK.

It's a symbiotic relationship, based on Supply and Demand, if the market is stable at 400m isk per PLEX, then people are willing to sell a PLEX for 400m ISK and others are willing to grind 400m in-game just to avoid paying the subscription. If a PLEX costs 900m, then the same is true.

Ultimately, if you feel it is "not worth it" then perhaps you should not be playing eve, rather than demanding that it should be cheaper for you to do so.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#112 - 2014-07-06 23:18:03 UTC
I have slaves. They make my isk for me.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Pine Marten
Doomheim
#113 - 2014-07-08 17:21:12 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
I have slaves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXr25JTr-Vs
evefas
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#114 - 2014-07-08 18:24:44 UTC
Well, while plexes are at top prices then ppl like to buy them and sell for ingame isk, if you would know all about Iceland then you would know that it uses ISK in rl allso in another form ofc. Well atm you can not walk into a bank and buy anything for that isk, exept,,, well nothing as its all under strikt laws.

So while the status in Iceland is like that for international company to run, why in the GODS NAME should they try to lower price of plex in eve ?

Sorry m8, but in all way this is in ccp's favour atm.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#115 - 2014-07-08 18:26:22 UTC
evefas wrote:
Well, while plexes are at top prices then ppl like to buy them and sell for ingame isk, if you would know all about Iceland then you would know that it uses ISK in rl allso in another form ofc. Well atm you can not walk into a bank and buy anything for that isk, exept,,, well nothing as its all under strikt laws.

So while the status in Iceland is like that for international company to run, why in the GODS NAME should they try to lower price of plex in eve ?

Sorry m8, but in all way this is in ccp's favour atm.

En anglais, sil vous plait

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

MHayes
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#116 - 2014-07-08 19:32:20 UTC
This game is worth a sub, if you wanna play then pay.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#117 - 2014-07-08 23:39:36 UTC
MHayes wrote:
This game is worth a sub

Interesting concept to bring up in General Discussion

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Cancel Align NOW
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#118 - 2014-07-09 00:42:26 UTC
I have to be honest and say I have not read any part of this thread other than the OP:

The median household income in the USA was approx $52000 in 2013. Presuming the average household works 60 hours per week, that equals $16.67 per hour.

A 3 month subscription costs $38.85 or approximately 2.3 hours of the average household income.

If it takes 7-10 hours to grind the isk for a one month plex, why would you grind for 21 hours in game to save your earnings from 2.3 hours of real life work? Time is the most valuable commodity you have. Talk to your wife/gf/partner about moving some RL money into a subscription.

$38.85 is also $0.43 a day - or $3.02 a week or less than a cup of coffee a week...