These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE end game, a Rich Man's Game?

Author
DeadDuck
Trust Doesn't Rust
Goonswarm Federation
#41 - 2014-07-02 11:27:05 UTC  |  Edited by: DeadDuck
Hey comrade,

It's a game, so your 1st purpose playing eve online is having fun. If playing the "end game" is starting to be stressing maybe you should adapt your playing time and style to your confort zone.

Thats what I do. I have an account capable of of flying several capital and super capital ships and I dont even think in owning a Super Cap due to some of the issues you referred to on your post.

a) I dont want to spend 2563 hours grinding for isks to pay for acount subscriptions
b) I dont want to spend my RL money in more accounts
c) I dont want to spend hours of my play time doing things that I don't like or become a "EVE Professional"

So I adapt my play time to what I can afford/want to fly, and that's all.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#42 - 2014-07-02 11:29:41 UTC
DeadDuck, GTFO with your logic and common sense!

Invalid signature format

Titania Hrothgar
Nemesis Retribution
#43 - 2014-07-02 11:38:14 UTC
I have one account. On that account, I have one pilot. I intend to keep it that way. Anything that I cannot achieve by playing this one toon will not be achieved.

I think it's silly to have multiple accounts. Anyone complaining about how much ISK it costs to fuel their multiple accounts needs to rethink their playing style. Maybe you have too many accounts. And for those sitting on trillions of ISK and near 20 accounts, well, good for you. Sounds really BORING to me to control 18 accounts just to mine every single day in High Sec. Good job. If you were that dedicated to doing menial work in real life, you'd be rich there as well and perhaps you are. I'll pass however.

I run a Fleet Issue Hurricane in null sec on my toon. Ever since I started playing this game, everyone told me that I could make a thousand times the ISK in null that I could make in high. This isn't true. I'm in null now and all I can manage is a fraction of what I used to make. Null offers a lot of things, but money isn't one of them. It's still fun, risky, and entertaining, but it's warp paths aren't paved with gold.

Here's why: I don't have a corp that specializes in mining. Mining is where the money is and frankly, if you have a mining barge, you can make just as much money in High as you can in Low. My Hurricane can barely handle the easiest anomaly in Low and as such, I'm unable to loot because the waves continue to pour forth. Without a battleship, you can't get ahead enough to loot. I don't have a mining barge currently, nor someone to sit there and guard the vulnerable ship from rats while I do mine and I'm not going to train up an alt for it. I'm really close to being able to fly a battleship and so my money will improve, but it will never equal what someone with multiple accounts can earn by mining in High Sec.

The real pain in Null is that you cannot sell your "loot" without flying back to High which requires the corp to use jump ships. It's such a pain that it takes scheduled trips which slows things down. Also, the Empire in which they jump considers me a criminal. It's my curse for being the only Mimnitar pilot in the group. I'll never leave this corp however. These guys are awesome! I love them!

My point is, if you have alts, you can do whatever you want because you have your own corp that will do whatever you want because they're all your accounts. When this happens, you can mine every single day and immediately fly to a refinery, or simply sell your ore and you have instant ISK and PLEX to keep yourself going. In High Sec, it's all about ease and convenience.

Those that insist that Low provides ISK opportunities have it wrong. It's all about high Sec. Null is simply more fun! Hell, even running Level 3's in high was fast because I could fly to a starbase, repair, recharge my shields and cap instantly, and head right back into battle. After looting, I could fly to my favorite system to sell everything I looted for the best price around, and go grab the next mission.

I'm rambling so I'll sum up... Eve sort of dropped the ball on this one. Null is a LOT of fun and I'll get my ship soon to handle rats. I've got a hanger full of garbage that's waiting to be sold and I continue to rat belts rather than the anomalies for now. Eventually, my income will be above what it used to be in High simply because the bounties and loot for ratting is much higher, but I'll never in a million years earn what those ISK Boxers earn in High Sec.

Not unless Eve makes some serious changes!!!!!!

All the world's a stage and all the men and women are the players.

rogue Aldebaran
Rogue Fleet
#44 - 2014-07-02 12:07:19 UTC
Stop spending money on your GF / wife and you should be ok to finance all your accounts with RL money.
Titania Hrothgar
Nemesis Retribution
#45 - 2014-07-02 12:09:33 UTC
rogue Aldebaran wrote:
Stop spending money on your GF / wife and you should be ok to finance all your accounts with RL money.

girlfriend / wife > Eve

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2014-07-02 12:14:55 UTC
Titania Hrothgar wrote:
rogue Aldebaran wrote:

girlfriend / wife > Eve

Yes, but like someone said, all they need is love.

Give all your love to gf/wife and all your money to CCP and you'll be fine.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#47 - 2014-07-02 12:15:03 UTC
Titania Hrothgar wrote:
rogue Aldebaran wrote:

girlfriend / wife > Eve

Clearly you are not married.

Invalid signature format

De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2014-07-02 12:22:01 UTC
Pay for your account with rl monies instead of space monies and the need to grind suddenly vanishes. It's a blissfiul relaxing feeling, really.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#49 - 2014-07-02 12:23:26 UTC
Female company helps with making passive income. Instead of watching the ISK trickle in, you can have lots of sexytime and check your wallet periodically instead of every few minutes.Lol
Lfod Shi
Lfod's Ratting and Salvage
#50 - 2014-07-02 12:31:23 UTC
THCS wrote:
Sup all,

I...
... don't want to shell out $15-20 a month ...

Fixed it for you.

♪ They'll always be bloodclaws to me ♫

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#51 - 2014-07-02 12:36:28 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I own two capital ships.
I have one cyno alt.
I don't even use my cyno alt, like, ever.

I have one in my hanger and I refuse to touch it for anything other than moving stuff to deployments.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#52 - 2014-07-02 12:52:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
Female company helps with making passive income. Instead of watching the ISK trickle in, you can have lots of sexytime and check your wallet periodically instead of every few minutes.Lol

This is actually a better idea even without the passive incomeBlink
Titania Hrothgar wrote:

girlfriend / wife > Eve

Noob
ISquishWorms
#53 - 2014-07-02 13:01:50 UTC
Adapt or unsub.

‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’.

Belt Scout
Thread Lockaholics Anonymous
#54 - 2014-07-02 13:03:31 UTC
*As a semi-casual player and full-time worker that doesn't want to play $540/ year or 480 hrs of my time just to keep a float in eve,

Yes, math is hard, but are you saying you earn $1.12 an hour?

Wherever you live, I think it's time to move.

They say most of your brain shuts down on the EvE forums. All but the impatient side, and the sarcastic side. No wonder I'm still awake.

**This IS my main so STFU.

Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#55 - 2014-07-02 13:10:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Sable Moran
THCS wrote:
Do any of you Eve Vets share the same sentiment?

No.

540 dollars per year for a hobby is really cheap.

Also, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hsqEvPGWQ Interesting bit starts at 21:33

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Belt Scout
Thread Lockaholics Anonymous
#56 - 2014-07-02 13:16:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Belt Scout
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Titania Hrothgar wrote:
rogue Aldebaran wrote:

girlfriend / wife > Eve

I don't know how anyone can possibly play EvE without a girlfriend/wife. They provide valuable support during fleet ops.

Who else is going to run hot pockets and cheetos down the cellar stairs. Not to mention emptying out the refilled mountain dew bottles.

Blink

They say most of your brain shuts down on the EvE forums. All but the impatient side, and the sarcastic side. No wonder I'm still awake.

**This IS my main so STFU.

Kristalll
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#57 - 2014-07-02 13:29:30 UTC
THCS wrote:
**** THE FREE MARKET, WE WANT GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES!!!

FTFY.

MOST super pilots are already a part of major null blocs. Major nullblocs that have renter empires. Major nullblocs that will pay to keep supers active if you're being used enough.

“Die trying” is the proudest human thing.

Bayonnefrog
Blueprint Mania
#58 - 2014-07-02 13:37:19 UTC
THCS wrote:
Sup all,

I want to start a discussion on Eve endgame and the cost of eve in terms of plex, time and RL $...

The inflated plexs price is putting a serious clamp on people's budget and I feel it kind of alienating the old veterans who are trying to enjoy end-game content and have loads of high-value capitals at risk. As a semi-casual player and full-time worker that doesn't want to play $540/ year or 480 hrs of my time just to keep a float in eve, its pretty hard to keep up with and enjoy eve content.

Playing eve has gotten pretty expensive for a 100+ mil SP /super/ and cap toon and doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Lets face it: Owning capitals capitals requires support toons. Players who don't want to shell out $15-20 a month need to buy plexs in game to support their capitals and accounts. With the increased cost of plexs recently, I don't think Capital pilots can sustain their accounts for long without eating into their ISK or RL savings or taking out a loads of time out of RL to put toward grinding for isk.

Lets do the math shall we? An average player plays 10-20 hrs a week and owns 2-3 accounts in eve; at current plex sell and buy order bids, that's 2.2 bil isk a month to keep them active. An average pilot makes roughly 60-100 mil/hr from ratting. To earn a plex, it takes 7-12 hrs to plex one account. That's on average 36 hrs of play time to pay off just the plex for subscription and also does not include operating costs and risk of ship loss.

My rough estimate is that it takes 40 hrs of grinding to pay off one's sub for 3 accounts. That's 3 weeks of free continuously effort we have to put towards eve!!

Idk, I kinda want eve developers to bring price of plexs down because this inflation trend is really putty a strain on my RL time and In-game budget. Do any of you Eve Vets share the same sentiment?

Um trading is where to cash is at. No need to rat 40 hours.
Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#59 - 2014-07-02 13:43:48 UTC
Here's how it works:

(1) You're wealthy in real life and can plex a Titan any time you want

Can be discounted because not many people would be willing to drop that much real-life cash on an in-game item. Some do of course but in general, no.

(2) You've been grinding ISK for 5 years and can afford 1 Titan

This is do-able but there's a problem with it: Don't fly what you can't afford to lose. Indeed as a general rule I don't like to spend more than 10% of my wealth on anything, which is why the highest ship I've achieved so far grinding was a JF.

(3) You're a CEO or director and have access to corp or alliance wallets

Here you've got hundreds and possibly thousands of minions giving you tax or rent or whatever. You can lord it over them in your Titan and think you're the big man. Much like successful people in real life, you have come to believe you actually earned it even though you didn't really. You just hustled a crew together and ripped into their efforts from (2) by taxing them "for the greater good" (your own wallet).

Of course in general this sucks but I have to applaud anyone dedicated enough and who's demonstrated the kind of interpersonal skills you need in order to hold people together long enough to bend them over like that.

(4) SRP

Does any corp or alliance SRP Titans, or help with their build costs? I'm sure they do. Not in my neck of the woods but otherwise this is a question of good interpersonal skills, trust and effort, so similar to (2) and (3) but a different strategy.
Titania Hrothgar
Nemesis Retribution
#60 - 2014-07-02 13:52:01 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Titania Hrothgar wrote:
rogue Aldebaran wrote:

girlfriend / wife > Eve

Clearly I am. We met on an online game about 15 years ago. She and I play WoW together and I play this.