These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Anti-pirate market blacklisting?

Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#81 - 2014-06-20 01:30:22 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
But just the idea of being able to gouge people on the market via setting standings based on things like their forum posts is appealing P

…except that all that'll happen is that they buy from the lowest price, which won't be yours. All you achieve is to not sell.
Dally Lama
Doomheim
#82 - 2014-06-20 06:03:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Dally Lama
Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#83 - 2014-06-20 06:07:33 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
The recent deluge of freighter ganking and other hisec lawlessness is a travesty. Yeah I get it, it's Eve you can do what you want, sandbox, HTFU, etc etc etc.

But we people who choose to focus on things other than destructio (and keep Eve running in the process) have no way to fight back! Not just that, but it's worse: those doing productive things are actively helping the destroyers by providing materials, ships, ammo, and fuel! This is terrible!

If you were an automobile manufacturer IRL would you sell your cars to a guy who has a record of using those cars to nudge lorries off the road, or cause horrific traffic accidents on purpose? NO! Why can we not do the same thing?

CCP this is an enemy that only fights on his terms and has the objective of ruining the game. We want to advance and contribute to the game. Give us market pirate blacklisting, or sec status limits on orders, so we can fight them on our terms! More content for everyone and Eve grows.

Yo, dawg, I heard you like wardecs....

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Dave Stark
#84 - 2014-06-20 06:57:52 UTC
making me log in to an alt to buy things isn't an interesting, or fun idea. it's just another layer of tedium that the game doesn't require.

your idea is therefore, bad.
Claud Tiberius
Siberian Squads
#85 - 2014-06-20 07:19:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Claud Tiberius
Black listing enemies makes sense.

Run their supplies dry.

Its like an embargo :P

Dave Stark wrote:
making me log in to an alt to buy things isn't an interesting, or fun idea. it's just another layer of tedium that the game doesn't require.

Thats your problem because you chose to use an alt and you think its tedious. Sounds like Carebare tactics.

Alternatively you could:
Make your own.
Use force to get what you want (instead of buying).
Ask someone else to buy it for you (allies, a "middle man").
Seach for a new supplier.

I don't know if you realise ... but adding customers to a black lists hurts the supplier as well (they make less money).

Once upon a time the Golem had a Raven hull and it looked good. Then it transformed into a plataduck. The end.

Dave Stark
#86 - 2014-06-20 07:26:07 UTC
Claud Tiberius wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Thats your problem because you chose to use an alt and you think its tedious.

Alternatively you could:
Make your own.
Use force to get what you want (instead of buying).
Ask someone else to buy it for you (allies, a "middle man").
Seach for a new supplier.

I don't know if you realise ... but adding customers to a black lists hurts the supplier as well (they make less money).

no, it's not my problem. at all. that's the point; having an alt totally negates the entire system being suggested. an idea trivialised so easily that it would have no affect on the game is simply a bad idea.
Victor Andall
#87 - 2014-06-20 07:27:26 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
[...]Yeah I get it, it's Eve you can do what you want, sandbox, HTFU, etc etc etc.

But [...]

I love threads that start like this.

I just undocked for the first time and someone challenged me to a duel. Wat do?

19.08.2014 - Dinsdale gets slammed by CCP Falcon. Never forget.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#88 - 2014-06-20 07:34:52 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
But just the idea of being able to gouge people on the market via setting standings based on things like their forum posts is appealing P

…except that all that'll happen is that they buy from the lowest price, which won't be yours. All you achieve is to not sell.

I never said it was a good idea, just an appealing one Lol

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Tebizla
#89 - 2014-06-20 07:36:01 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:

Something like ...

OP didn't put enough thought into the idea prior posting.

Obviously not a forum / spy / market alt ...

Dave Stark
#90 - 2014-06-20 07:43:14 UTC
Tebizla wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Something like ...

same as every other person who has suggested this terrible idea before him.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#91 - 2014-06-20 08:09:00 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Tippia wrote:

I never said it was a good idea, just an appealing one Lol

Fair enough. That it is.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#92 - 2014-06-20 08:12:42 UTC
Wow the Daily Mail (or US equivalent) brigade are really out in force this week

Didn't realise there were so many hurt feelies out there

I hope someone is taking appropriate credit for these precious tearlettes

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Dave Stark
#93 - 2014-06-20 08:25:44 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Wow the Daily Mail (or US equivalent) brigade are really out in force this week

Didn't realise there were so many hurt feelies out there

I hope someone is taking appropriate credit for these precious tearlettes

i'm sure teg's inbox is overflowing.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#94 - 2014-06-20 09:16:46 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
The recent deluge of freighter ganking and other hisec lawlessness is a travesty. Yeah I get it, it's Eve you can do what you want, sandbox, HTFU, etc etc etc.

But we people who choose to focus on things other than destructio (and keep Eve running in the process) have no way to fight back! Not just that, but it's worse: those doing productive things are actively helping the destroyers by providing materials, ships, ammo, and fuel! This is terrible!

If you were an automobile manufacturer IRL would you sell your cars to a guy who has a record of using those cars to nudge lorries off the road, or cause horrific traffic accidents on purpose? NO! Why can we not do the same thing?

CCP this is an enemy that only fights on his terms and has the objective of ruining the game. We want to advance and contribute to the game. Give us market pirate blacklisting, or sec status limits on orders, so we can fight them on our terms! More content for everyone and Eve grows.

Ganker creates alt
Ganker bypasses market blacklisting

pointless request is pointless
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#95 - 2014-06-20 09:44:35 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Tebizla wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Something like ...

Because he's doing it wrong.

Every new player starts off with a 'Highsec Trade Permit'.

Permit is necessary to buy, station trade, accept contracts and access corp hangars in highsec.

Permit is revoked if sec status drops below -2.0.

Probably a terrible idea, but it would work.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Solecist Project
#96 - 2014-06-20 11:05:07 UTC
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Tebizla wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Something like ...

Permit is necessary to buy, station trade, accept contracts and access corp hangars in highsec.

What's the point? People use alts. It changes nothing to the better.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2014-06-20 11:26:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Gully Alex Foyle
Solecist Project wrote:
Gully Alex Foyle wrote:

What's the point? People use alts. It changes nothing to the better.
It wouldn't matter whose alt it is. Use a character for ganking --> sec status decreases --> that character couldn't get equipment in highsec stations.

Or an alternative, very simple version: station lockout based on sec status.

Ditch NPC Police (a bad mechanic imo), but revoke highsec station docking privileges altogether, based on sec status.

Gankers would have to stage at highsec POS, which makes sense since they're 'naughty pirates'. And POS are attackable.

Increase the challenge for gankers, give a real 'fight back' opportunity to white knights, if they're up to it.

If necessary, tweak CONCORD response times to make up for the net impact on ganks of ditching NPC Police + station lockouts.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Samillian
Angry Mustellid
Lost Obsession
#98 - 2014-06-20 11:46:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Samillian
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Give us market pirate blacklisting, or sec status limits on orders

CCP please give him what he wants, anything that eliminates the competition is most welcome and I look forward to reaping more and greater profits selling to all comers with a joyful and mercenary disregard for the effects of my behaviour on society at large.

That is of course supposing that people aren't using alts to do their logistics for them, does their cunning know no bounds!?!

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Lord LazyGhost
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#99 - 2014-06-20 11:56:52 UTC
Sounds like a great idea. So I wont be able to buy stuff off the market on lazy anymore to touch ur mineing bardges in a naughty place. O what should I do. Breaths a sign a relief good job I have 2 other accouts with 6 other neut chars I can use to buy my gankjng gear and just trade it to lazy. But cheers for an entertaining read in the morning.
Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
Already Replaced.
#100 - 2014-06-20 12:18:12 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Is an idea bad just beacuse it doesn't benefit a specific group of people?

An idea is bad when it doesn't work as intended, hurts the people it's supposed to help and helps the people it's supposed to hurt (among other things).

Your idea wouldn't affect me at all, in fact if there were people who would only sell to people with (for example) 5.0 sec status, it would actually benefit me greatly as I have 8 characters at or near that now (of the other 4 only one is in the negative because of shooting at non-FW targets while in FW).

But just because something benefits an individual, that doesn't make it in any way a good idea for the 'community' ('game' in this case). An idea is a good one when it does what it's supposed to do, has limited negative and unintended consequences, and benefits the most people in the community in question.

Your idea does not of that. You can sink into that place where 'bright idea' people go to mentally hide (when other people demonstrate to them that they really aren't that smart and their idea isn't just horrible, it would be horrible for the person making the idea i the 1st place), but that doesn't make the idea we're talking about any less horrible.

EVE would have to have a strict ban on alts, contracts, and in station direct trading (hell, you'd even have to some how stop people from jet-canning stuff too lest you create a real , in space, 'black market' lol) enforced by game mechanics for your idea to even begin to have even the slightest merit.