These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A message regarding reported layoffs at CCP

First post First post First post
Author
Dave Stark
#101 - 2014-06-06 09:30:28 UTC
I was informed that CCP Eterne was one of those unfortunate 49.

Who do i have to bribe now in order to retain my forum posting ability?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#102 - 2014-06-06 09:35:14 UTC
Marc Durant wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
In terms of what this means for our games, development teams and plans for EVE Online, EVE: Valkyrie, DUST 514, and “Project Legion” are not impacted by the restructuring that has taken place today.

Xhagen laid off.... XHAGEN....

Tell us how that does not impact EVE.

It's that which really changed my mind about this whole thing.
Now I'm good and angry.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#103 - 2014-06-06 09:39:18 UTC
This thread needs more ..... pssshhhhh

and CCP needs better management, but that's not exactly surprising to most of us.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#104 - 2014-06-06 09:43:08 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
This thread needs more ..... pssshhhhh
I'm trying, dammit. Cry
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#105 - 2014-06-06 09:43:36 UTC
I mean what ******* company praises one of their most valuable and loyal employees in publicly and NOT ONE MONTH LATER lays him off with 48 others and pretends this has no impact on said employee's area of focus?

All of my previous posts in this thread are just denial. I didn't want to believe that things were as bad as they are.
But CCP Xhagen, for ****'s sake.

Batachi Khan
Millard Innovation Inc
The 20 Minuters
#106 - 2014-06-06 09:45:59 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I mean what ******* company praises one of their most valuable and loyal employees in publicly and NOT ONE MONTH LATER lays him off with 48 others and pretends this has no impact on said employee's area of focus?

All of my previous posts in this thread are just denial. I didn't want to believe that things were as bad as they are.

Indeed, leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. And that it won't influence development is a bunch of crap ofc Twisted.
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#107 - 2014-06-06 09:46:15 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Better to lay off the talented people who can actually do things of value than to get rid of the people who mismanaged everything and caused the issues. Managers are pssshhhh as heck. Can't get rid of that psssshhh, son
Plug in Baby
Broken Hearts Love Chocolate
#108 - 2014-06-06 09:46:17 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Felicity Love wrote:
Very disappointed in CCP over this.

VERY.

Shocked

After the entire Ishukone Scorpion/BLINK debacle I vowed to never pay CCP another penny of my hard earned money and this article makes me very happy I made that decision.

This.

This is not a forum alt, this is a forum main.

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#109 - 2014-06-06 09:54:08 UTC
As someone who has been around long enough and watched how CCP does things, this really isn't a surprise at all.

Watching CCP over the years has been like watching a train slowly derail.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Pine Marten
Doomheim
#110 - 2014-06-06 09:55:56 UTC
Psssshhhhhh!
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#111 - 2014-06-06 10:02:48 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
Let's just hope they didn't get rid of all the talent and are left with a empty shell of sycophants and yes-men that 'appeased' management enough to get skipped in the lay-offs.

These cost less so, yeah, be afraid.

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Alayna Le'line
#112 - 2014-06-06 10:11:58 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Oh my ******* god, you people. Stop acting like this is the first time a software company has ever done this.

I don't even work in the industry (yet) and I know full well to expect this kind of thing from pretty much anywhere I'd go. Nothing about the linked article surprises me either.

It might be typical in the gaming industry (at least for the big companies), but don't conflate the gaming industry with the rest of the software industry. The problem with the gaming industry is that it looks like a dream job to many, so they'll take loads more abuse than they would otherwise.

Also, CCP Eterne and CCP Xhagen. (and who knows who else?) The end is nigh :(
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#113 - 2014-06-06 10:17:59 UTC
The people responsible for the WoD failure get to keep their jobs, and the people in "publishing" lose their jobs?. It's really surprising, when you consider who decided that would be the best course of action.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Domania
NOMADS.
#114 - 2014-06-06 10:20:28 UTC
Pine Marten wrote:
Psssshhhhhh!

Needs a little more... Psssssshhhhhhh...
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#115 - 2014-06-06 10:20:29 UTC
Alayna Le'line wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Oh my ******* god, you people. Stop acting like this is the first time a software company has ever done this.

I don't even work in the industry (yet) and I know full well to expect this kind of thing from pretty much anywhere I'd go. Nothing about the linked article surprises me either.

It might be typical in the gaming industry (at least for the big companies), but don't conflate the gaming industry with the rest of the software industry. The problem with the gaming industry is that it looks like a dream job to many, so they'll take loads more abuse than they would otherwise.

You can keep that post as an example of denialism. I've since changed my mind about this whole thing. I'm pretty upset about it.

JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#116 - 2014-06-06 10:23:20 UTC
Strange that one of the dev's laid off was the the same one in the CCP Developer Spotlight less than a month ago on May 15th. :/
Alayna Le'line
#117 - 2014-06-06 10:24:12 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Alayna Le'line wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

You can keep that post as an example of denialism. I've since changed my mind about this whole thing. I'm pretty upset about it.

As are well all, I'm sure :(
I'd be very very interested in what they have to say about the guardian article.

And I bitterly wonder who's going to write the apology now that it appears they've kicked out most of their fiction writers...
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#118 - 2014-06-06 10:28:19 UTC
They have laid off some really great people from CCP, yet the abysmal ones remain unsurprisingly. I'm going to safely assume that Mr Pssshhhh still works for CCP.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Prince Kobol
#119 - 2014-06-06 10:32:48 UTC
I expect the same response from CCP as we got regarding Somergate

This ^^
Lisa Gentilette
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#120 - 2014-06-06 10:39:04 UTC
Themanfromdalmontee wrote:
Pj Harvey wrote:
I was wondering myself the last few weeks after coming back from an extended absence, how everything in eve is has been 'adjusted' to be 2x to 4x the price. When I left a bs was 60 mil, a mindlink was 5 mil and a cruiser was 4 mil. It seems CCP have been artificially raising in-game prices to sell PLEX because they need to milk eve as much as possible for other projects.

No this will not be the case (other than increasing costs of minerals when they rebalanced the ships so they are all useful) and CCP would want lower plex prices so people have to buy more plex to sell to get a certain amount of money....

Someone blogged recently about garage sales and most people failing at them.
In short, people overprice items and get stuck with them, if however they would put a significant lower price tag on their items for sale they will sell a whole lot more.

CCP never will understand this, as shown by the pricing for customised ship hulls.
No-one will buy them when they're going to be high cost frequent losses.
Which is why vanity clothing items are indestructible.

As per usual CCP never learns. >.<