These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A message regarding reported layoffs at CCP

First post First post First post
Author
knobber Jobbler
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#21 - 2014-06-05 16:50:03 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Hm. Also, that Guardian article is quite the bit of muck-raking. It looks like it was mostly based on the report of one disgruntled employee, but if even half-true there are some corrections that need to be made.

If you work in the games industry or the wider software industry in general, his story is fairly typical.
Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
#22 - 2014-06-05 17:08:15 UTC
Also, aw, crap. I heard that Eterne's going. :/

As a lorehound and RPer, this one stings a bit. :/ It may not be the development team, but even one lore-focused CCPer nets a lot of return for those of us who want a living, breathing world to play in.

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Obsidian Hawk
RONA Midgard Academy
RONA Directorate
#23 - 2014-06-05 17:21:14 UTC
At least CCP is nice enough to hold job fairs and bring out recruiters for their employees so they find jobs immediately, and the transition is almost seamless.

Why Can't I have a picture signature.

Also please support graphical immersion, bring back the art that brought people to EvE online originaly.

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#24 - 2014-06-05 17:26:08 UTC
Confirming that 90% of the time the people we need to bash is management because the devs we all know and love are truly passionate about the game they work on and very capable individuals that really could deliver everything we want and more.

The Drake is a Lie

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#25 - 2014-06-05 17:30:34 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

and

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782190/ccp-iceland-layoffs-eve-online

Just to add, NIck Blood, the guy in the Guardian article was CCP DropBear

I still miss CCP Dropbear and his ability to lead a good story. His posts and all the lore stuff that was happening around Apocrypha was pure gold. For thos who don't know what I'm talking about (it was 4 years ago after all), here's one example. I still read it sometimes to try to figure out if EVE community left something undiscovered.

As for the today's news, I wish all those that left CCP all the best.
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#26 - 2014-06-05 17:38:24 UTC
And so it continues.

This should stop the bleeding on the bottom line for another quarter or two.
Hopefully that will be enough time for CCP to crank up the micro-transaction portion of the business, because it is clearly not growing revenue through additional subs.

There is a reason that we can now double or triple train on accounts at the small cost of a plex every month.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#27 - 2014-06-05 17:43:13 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Also, aw, crap. I heard that Eterne's going. :/

Wait.. Wut?

But.. But.. This will truly kill a part of my soul.

CCP Eterne was the one who applied my first 3 forum bans, and answered some support tickets of mine.. I owe that guy a beer or two for putting up with me and also the magnificent work he has done at CCP.

How can I continue to be the villain , if the hero is gone? Who can hang upside down over a pool of ill-tempered sea bass while I monologue?

o7 Eterne. That raincheck for a beer has no expiration date.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#28 - 2014-06-05 17:47:43 UTC
Best of luck to all, this is really sad news.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#29 - 2014-06-05 17:55:07 UTC  |  Edited by: KIller Wabbit
Obsidian Hawk wrote:
At least CCP is nice enough to hold job fairs and bring out recruiters for their employees so they find jobs immediately, and the transition is almost seamless.

Wow. So clueless. Or possibly a manager trying to slap on the mental salve?

At least 2-3 months of salary will hit the ashcan from this disruption in their lives. Real estate investments trashed. Worse, the mental trauma for them, their SO's and the kids from being ripped out of social groups, schools, and functions. You're admiring CCP for being "nice"?? CCP's doing what it absolutely should be doing to minimize the pain caused by upper management's continuing series of mistakes. The only saving grace would be that upper management was also be properly being held accountable for those decisions, but that ivory tower is packing super high resists.
Endecroix
Doomheim
#30 - 2014-06-05 18:03:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Endecroix
Will CCP be responding to the accusations in the Guardian's article. Specifically the accusation that the apology speech was not as heartfelt as we were led to believe? That's not something you want to leave hanging in the air. There is a difference between something written completely by someone else (as the article suggests) and something more akin to how a politician would get input from a speech writer. Would be nice to clear the air on that one at least.
Terranid Meester
Tactical Assault and Recon Unit
#31 - 2014-06-05 18:06:34 UTC
Get rid of some of the executives.

What value for money and for CCP can they provide given their obvious failures?
Alewx
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2014-06-05 18:07:04 UTC
I just can't believe this, as the NEX store with the monocle was introduced a single forum thread was filled within hours by hunderts of posts from different people just raging, but now, as it is something that is really really serious noone cares, are you all just out of your minds?!

A game Company having trouble will never ever tell its community that is is in trouble, that is simple Business psychology. But these are some serious signs that something in the background is not going well.
It is a shame that this one so encouraged community is now, as it is a point of matter is just doing nothing than watching!
EVE FOREVER, that now just sounds like a joke, with a community that cares more about not to pay something in addition, instead of fighting for its so loved game.

And just for knowing, I payed 15€ just to post this, because my Job in a gaming company with three online f2p game does not give my much of sparetime for EVE.
I still can't believe this.
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#33 - 2014-06-05 18:28:04 UTC
A must read that goes along with this round of layoffs at CCP: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

Not today spaghetti.

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#34 - 2014-06-05 18:31:20 UTC
So what are we going to call this debacle from CCP?

My vote is WhiteWolf-gate.

Not today spaghetti.

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#35 - 2014-06-05 18:31:31 UTC
Very disappointed in CCP over this.

VERY.

Shocked

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#36 - 2014-06-05 18:34:00 UTC
Felicity Love wrote:

VERY.

Shocked

After the entire Ishukone Scorpion/BLINK debacle I vowed to never pay CCP another penny of my hard earned money and this article makes me very happy I made that decision.

Not today spaghetti.

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#37 - 2014-06-05 18:39:02 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Felicity Love wrote:

VERY.

Shocked

After the entire Ishukone Scorpion/BLINK debacle I vowed to never pay CCP another penny of my hard earned money and this article makes me very happy I made that decision.

Happen to notice that nothing was ever announced about Somergate? After asking the critics to give them time CCP walked away. I guess the fiction department was a bit too busy that day.

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#38 - 2014-06-05 18:40:08 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:

I hear that.

Purely an "ISK for PLEX" kind of person myself these days.

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#39 - 2014-06-05 18:42:56 UTC
KIller Wabbit wrote:
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Felicity Love wrote:

VERY.

Shocked

Happen to notice that nothing was ever announced about Somergate? After asking the critics to give them time CCP walked away. I guess the fiction department was a bit too busy that day.

And they sent poor CCP Guard out to us to try and placate the situation but he got chewed up and spit out. I can only imagine that Guard tried to tell his superiors about how upset the player base was about it and they just blew him off like they did us.

Guard seems like decent guy. Wonder how long till he leaves CCP :'(

Not today spaghetti.

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#40 - 2014-06-05 18:50:27 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:

And they sent poor CCP Guard out to us to try and placate the situation but he got chewed up and spit out. I can only imagine that Guard tried to tell his superiors about how upset the player base was about it and they just blew him off like they did us.

Guard seems like decent guy. Wonder how long till he leaves CCP :'(

I was wondering about him the other day. Hasn't been in one of the "what's coming" vid's in a while. Those vid's - that's EVE lore.