These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

LvL 4 FW Mission Imbalance: Issue?

First post First post
Author
Douglas Nolm
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#121 - 2014-06-09 10:27:47 UTC
Simyaldee, check my character age, I joined FW at a few weeks old, I'm still relatively low skilled, especially for the kind of ships to do missions with (I only just trained SB and can't use the covert ops cloak yet). I haven't built up standings for L4 missions yet either, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Even in themepark MMO's you don't expect to be doing the highest level content right away, so why do you expect it to be possible in EvE?

But keep posting, your tears are going really nicely with the plex farmer tears that have been so abundant since Kronos went live.
Miriya Zakalwe
World Wide Welp
#122 - 2014-06-09 10:37:37 UTC
L4 FW missions are not high level content by any stretch of the imagination, and never were.
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#123 - 2014-06-09 11:18:08 UTC
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:
Well, that depends entirely on what the gameplay reasons for the missions actually are.

If the intention of the missions is to draw players in small soloish ships all over the warzone, which is as mentioned all that is important to me and is I believe the intent, then you're clearly wrong.

If the intent of FW missions is MOAR MISSIONER PVE, then you're right. But I doubt that is the case.

This is kind of the crux of it IMO.

You claim the first is the purpose of the missions, some of us claim the second. I haven't seen anything one way or the other that would definitively push things one way or the other.

I feel that L4 missions are intended as PvE for FW players. Thus I feel the ship and SP investment should be roughly comparable to regular L4 kill missions, taking into account the increased risk for operating in the warzone. I therefore want L4 mission difficulty increased to somewhere between Amarr and Gallente level currently.

Your position for everyone in bombers is reasonable given your take that FW missions = bring solo to the warzone. We just don't agree that you're right about the purpose of L4 missions.

And yes, L4 missions are relatively high end content. Just not to bittervets like us.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Miriya Zakalwe
World Wide Welp
#124 - 2014-06-09 11:53:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Miriya Zakalwe
Veskrashen wrote:
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:
Well, that depends entirely on what the gameplay reasons for the missions actually are.

If the intention of the missions is to draw players in small soloish ships all over the warzone, which is as mentioned all that is important to me and is I believe the intent, then you're clearly wrong.

If the intent of FW missions is MOAR MISSIONER PVE, then you're right. But I doubt that is the case.

You claim the first is the purpose of the missions, some of us claim the second. I haven't seen anything one way or the other that would definitively push things one way or the other.

I feel that L4 missions are intended as PvE for FW players. Thus I feel the ship and SP investment should be roughly comparable to regular L4 kill missions, taking into account the increased risk for operating in the warzone. I therefore want L4 mission difficulty increased to somewhere between Amarr and Gallente level currently.

Your position for everyone in bombers is reasonable given your take that FW missions = bring solo to the warzone. We just don't agree that you're right about the purpose of L4 missions.

And yes, L4 missions are relatively high end content. Just not to bittervets like us.

You are right in that the only thing I am looking at here is the effects on the lowsec ecosystem. From my standpoint, anything that encourages or incentivizes large numbers of small craft flying around the warzone is a good thing.

I think questioning whether bombers are appropriate or not is totally valid.

The problem I have with the "but there is still L1-L3" argument is I don't think they provide enough incentive. L4 provides clearly too much though now, no question.

So I see this as a fairly simple problem of reducing current reward for L4 at high tiers (and balancing Gallente, though as stated I know nothing about the Cal/Gal zone personally. I defer to you guys on suggestions for up there.)
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#125 - 2014-06-09 13:24:46 UTC
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:
You are right in that the only thing I am looking at here is the effects on the lowsec ecosystem. From my standpoint, anything that encourages or incentivizes large numbers of small craft flying around the warzone is a good thing.

I'm all for discussing the lowsec ecosystem. Just better to bring our assumptions / goals out into the light instead of saying "nuh uh!" back and forth - so props to you.

First, I feel there's already plenty to incentivize lots of small soloable ships in low sec. FW plexes are still primarily run in frigates / AFs / destroyers solo, and the new Mordus rats has teams of guys in small fast ships out roaming around looking for them. The rebalance of the pirate faction ships - frigates and cruisers especially - has also led to a resurgence in solo / small gang use in lowsec.

At least, those are my anecdotal experiences.

To me, FW missions are designed to provide a purer PvE experience for FW pilots, in contrast to FW plexes - which IMO are designed more to incentivize PvP. If FW missions are designed to be FW PvE content to supplement the LP income from plexing, especially when at higher tiers where fewer systems are available to plex in, then IMNSHO they should be designed to follow the same progression (roughly) as regular L4 combat missions. That would mean requiring significant tank / DPS to complete - though given the higher exposure to PvP in lowsec, I fully agree that they should remain more assassination style.

We Gallente have a saying: "CCP created the Gallente Militia to train the Fighters..."

Miriya Zakalwe
World Wide Welp
#126 - 2014-06-09 14:44:19 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:

I'm all for discussing the lowsec ecosystem. Just better to bring our assumptions / goals out into the light instead of saying "nuh uh!" back and forth - so props to you.

First, I feel there's already plenty to incentivize lots of small soloable ships in low sec. FW plexes are still primarily run in frigates / AFs / destroyers solo, and the new Mordus rats has teams of guys in small fast ships out roaming around looking for them. The rebalance of the pirate faction ships - frigates and cruisers especially - has also led to a resurgence in solo / small gang use in lowsec.

At least, those are my anecdotal experiences.

To me, FW missions are designed to provide a purer PvE experience for FW pilots, in contrast to FW plexes - which IMO are designed more to incentivize PvP. If FW missions are designed to be FW PvE content to supplement the LP income from plexing, especially when at higher tiers where fewer systems are available to plex in, then IMNSHO they should be designed to follow the same progression (roughly) as regular L4 combat missions. That would mean requiring significant tank / DPS to complete - though given the higher exposure to PvP in lowsec, I fully agree that they should remain more assassination style.

I just keep coming back to thinking that AssFrigs are perfect for this. Look at it this way - the training time is similar to highsec mission runners getting in to (badly fit) BCs or BSs, the ships themselves are designed to fight the racial enemies (T2 shield/armor resists, etc), and having significantly more of them soloing around lowsec would be very good for everyone. It would maintain the current accessibility of FW to lower SP pilots even up through the L4 missions, and if balanced correctly would also be extremely fun to run in that ship (as they are now for Minnie and apparently Caldari). It fits the assassination theme well, too.

I agree that the relative impunity bombers have is potentially a problem. I have fun hunting them, but they are in general pretty safe. So that can be fixed by a game mechanic (anti-cloak in missions) or by simply excluding them from the allowed ships list on the missions.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#127 - 2014-06-09 15:17:16 UTC
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:
Nah, that just means the Gallente mission balance is broken, which we all agree on. All three others can solo them in small ships. Nice try though.
Wouldn't they have fixed that in the 6+ years FW has been in existence then? I think you are reading too much into the game designers' intentions.

They just made the same missions for every race, counted up the dps of the rats to make it hard for a small ship to tank all that dps directly, and then filled the missions with race specific rats. The unintended consequence of their implementation is that ships can hit at range and can therefore easily tank the short range dps of the Amarr/Gallente rats, and td's (Amarr Rats) don't affect missile boats whereas ecm affects everybody.

Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#128 - 2014-06-09 15:21:03 UTC
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:
I just keep coming back to thinking that AssFrigs are perfect for this. Look at it this way - the training time is similar to highsec mission runners getting in to (badly fit) BCs or BSs, the ships themselves are designed to fight the racial enemies (T2 shield/armor resists, etc), and having significantly more of them soloing around lowsec would be very good for everyone. It would maintain the current accessibility of FW to lower SP pilots even up through the L4 missions, and if balanced correctly would also be extremely fun to run in that ship (as they are now for Minnie and apparently Caldari). It fits the assassination theme well, too.

I agree that the relative impunity bombers have is potentially a problem. I have fun hunting them, but they are in general pretty safe. So that can be fixed by a game mechanic (anti-cloak in missions) or by simply excluding them from the allowed ships list on the missions.

I think that pretty much anyone who doesn't rely on / exploit the hell out of L4 missions at high tier in SBs would be willing to see SBs unusable for L4s. I think that banning cloaks / SBs outright is a bit heavy-handed, and removes some interesting gameplay when it comes to being the hunter rather than the hunted. We've already seen that kind of impact in plexes - don't want it to extend too far into the rest of the ecosystem.

Balancing towards AFs is an intriguing idea. Designing missions that can be accomplished in well-piloted AFs while not being trivially easy to complete in larger / higher SP ships might be a challenge. At the moment, the BS rats in some missions almost require a shield gank fit AF to break, which leaves the armor tanked AFs out in the cold. Moreover, I feel that trying to balance the missions towards accessibility via small, relatively cheap ships still breaks my desire for mission progression / investment to mirror that of other L4s. Putting easily replaced 40m ships at risk isn't the balance point I'd be looking for.

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#129 - 2014-06-09 16:00:40 UTC
Veskrashen wrote:
To me, FW missions are designed to provide a purer PvE experience for FW pilots, in contrast to FW plexes - which IMO are designed more to incentivize PvP.
This is incorrect as well. Missions were supposed to be another potential pvp type of experience where the player had to make multiple (at risk) jumps through low sec, warp to a beacon that is there for all to see, and then complete the objective.

The initial issue with missions was that if you failed one your standings would go all to heck - so nobody did them. Then they over buffed missions with the "pick your mission system" update where you could turn down as many missions as possible. Guys would ask for missions until they all ended up in Nennamaila (for example) where the Gallente Militia lived.

Then they nerfed that feature a bit to where we are today.

Unintended Consequences:
Cloaky ships: "afk cloak" makes it really easy for the mission runner to complete missions against all but the most determined opponent.

Picking up Several Missions at One Time: The original intent was that the player would pick up a mission, go run it, and then return to mission base to turn the mission in. By picking up several missions at once, it makes it really easy for the mission runner to simply move on to the next one if the current mission is camped.

Because of those two unintended consequences, Missions feel like "pure PvE" instead of the PvP/PvE mix they we
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#130 - 2014-06-09 16:31:40 UTC
XG

I don't recall anything where a dev specifially said missions were supposed to be more pvp than they are now.

I don't recall a dev saying you should, or should not, be able to do them in a stealth bomber.

Making missions "pvp" where you have to tank lots of rats just means the only side that can run them is the side that can blob off a system.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#131 - 2014-06-09 16:49:54 UTC  |  Edited by: X Gallentius
Cearain wrote:
XG
I don't recall anything where a dev specifially said missions were supposed to be more pvp than they are now.

I don't recall a dev saying you should, or should not, be able to do them in a stealth bomber.

Making missions "pvp" where you have to tank lots of rats just means the only side that can run them is the side that can blob off a system.
This is all my guess at what their intentions were - which is a much more informed guess than others in this thread. So take it for what it's worth.

The assumptions are that if they didn't want to make missions PvPish, 1) they wouldn't force the player to make 10+ (on average) jumps to get to the missions and 2) they wouldn't show the mission on a beacon in local for all to see.

wrt Stealth Bombers - Read into it what you want. I just told you how (I think) they designed the missions. The L4 missions were NOT designed with stealth bombers or other frigs in mind. They also designed the missions as "head shots" compared to regular L4 missions. More time travelling, less time in mission.
Baron' Soontir Fel
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#132 - 2014-06-09 16:50:23 UTC
Cearain wrote:
XG

That's like saying CCP never said cloaks and stabs were detrimental to FW for the past couple years so they shouldn't be a problem.

One major thing stands out for these PvP intended missions, and that's the fact that missions are open for anyone and are visible to anyone in the overview. Even DED sites don't pop up on the overview.
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#133 - 2014-06-09 22:51:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Cearain
X Gallentius wrote:
Cearain wrote:
XG

This is all my guess at what their intentions were - which is a much more informed guess than others in this thread. So take it for what it's worth.

The assumptions are that if they didn't want to make missions PvPish, 1) they wouldn't force the player to make 10+ (on average) jumps to get to the missions and 2) they wouldn't show the mission on a beacon in local for all to see.

wrt Stealth Bombers - Read into it what you want. I just told you how (I think) they designed the missions. The L4 missions were NOT designed with stealth bombers or other frigs in mind. They also designed the missions as "head shots" compared to regular L4 missions. More time travelling, less time in mission.

Yes the missions pop up on the overview and that does indeed indicate they want some pvp element. But that is not the question. I don't think they ever indicated they want them to be *more* pvp than they currently are. I think DJ FunkyBacon is right to call this pve and to ask the pve design team for some changes.

Like you said they are designed to be head shot quick missions so you can get in and out and avoid getting caught by other players. You don't sit there all day farming rats and therefore need to have a blob to seal off the system.

I have no reason to think missions are not currently working as intended. The fact that they have changed them several times and had a major revamp of faction war yet did not make them more difficult to do in stealth bombers strongly suggests I am right. If I recall, Hans didn't like that you could do them in stealth bombers so I assume he brought it up.

Anyway I happen to think the missions for the minmatar faction are fairly well designed, except the ones where you need to return with something. Those missiosn are just a waste. Like all pve in eve if i do too much of it I will eventually want to claw my eyes out, but they were fun for a bit.

And I although I haven't done missions for amarr in a very long time you could not do them solo in a stealthbomber. The target painters and missiles were too much. I did them in a drake.

edit:
Baron' Soontir Fel wrote:

That's like saying CCP never said cloaks and stabs were detrimental to FW for the past couple years so they shouldn't be a problem.

Actually your comment tends to prove the opposite of what you hope.

CCP saw people using cloaks and stabs over the last year or 2 and took action to change it. CCP saw people running missions in stealth bombers for at least 4 years and never bothered to change it even though during that time they did a major revamp to faction war.

This tends to suggest that missions are working as intended as far as they are concerned.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Miriya Zakalwe
World Wide Welp
#134 - 2014-06-09 23:11:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Miriya Zakalwe
X Gallentius wrote:

Picking up Several Missions at One Time: The original intent was that the player would pick up a mission, go run it, and then return to mission base to turn the mission in. By picking up several missions at once, it makes it really easy for the mission runner to simply move on to the next one if the current mission is camped.

Yeah totally. I don't mind the ability to pick up more than one at a time, but things would be much better if they despawned when you left the system. Knowing (as a hunter) that the player was in-system if a beacon was up would make it much more dangerous for the mission runner. That would be great. The current tactic of popping them all then doing safe ones (which is obvious to everyone maybe the third time they do missions) is a significant factor that would be good to axe.
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#135 - 2014-06-09 23:14:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Cearain
Veskrashen wrote:
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:

I think getting decent skills to fly a stealth bomber to run fw missions is not really easier than the skills to run level 4s in high sec. You had to train the fairly useless electronic upgrades skill to levle 5, as well as the frigate skill to level five.
Torpedoes are a large weapon. And SBs aren't exactly easy to fit either.

I don't think getting into a navy raven to run level 4s in high sec takes much longer. I think I was running level 4 missions in about a month after I started eve. Back then I did the whole "learning skills" bit too.

It seems to me that to run faction war missions in a stealth bomber you have to train longer than you do to start running level 4 missions in high sec.

Miriya Zakalwe
World Wide Welp
#136 - 2014-06-09 23:37:15 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Veskrashen wrote:
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:

I think getting decent skills to fly a stealth bomber to run fw missions is not really easier than the skills to run level 4s in high sec. You had to train the fairly useless electronic upgrades skill to levle 5, as well as the frigate skill to level five.

I don't think getting into a navy raven to run level 4s in high sec takes much longer. I think I was running level 4 missions in about a month after I started eve. Back then I did the whole "learning skills" bit too.

It seems to me that to run faction war missions in a stealth bomber you have to train longer than you do to start running level 4 missions in high sec.

Agree, I made that point up above too, wrt Assault Frigates.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you want to keep the assassination flavor of the missions, realize that if you beef them up you are probably just going to be replacing SBs with disposable sh!tfit T1-fit ganknados, which are even easier and faster to train in to and fit.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#137 - 2014-06-10 00:32:34 UTC
Cearain wrote:
I have no reason to think missions are not currently working as intended. .

It's true then. CCP hates Gallente! Thanks for the verification. Big smile
Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#138 - 2014-06-10 03:25:29 UTC
Cearain wrote:
I have no reason to think missions are not currently working as intended. The fact that they have changed them several times and had a major revamp of faction war yet did not make them more difficult to do in stealth bombers strongly suggests I am right. If I recall, Hans didn't like that you could do them in stealth bombers so I assume he brought it up.

Per CCP Fozzie during the FW Roundtable at FanFest, they don't like people running them in Stealth Bombers, and he would like to add things such as webbing towers to the missions to prevent it. Doing so is infeasible at the moment due to their content tools.

In short: your assumptions are completely wrong, and you should feel bad.

Veskrashen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#139 - 2014-06-10 03:28:34 UTC
Miriya Zakalwe wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Agree, I made that point up above too, wrt Assault Frigates.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you want to keep the assassination flavor of the missions, realize that if you beef them up you are probably just going to be replacing SBs with disposable sh!tfit T1-fit ganknados, which are even easier and faster to train in to and fit.

And, as I pointed out earlier, it's not just training time - it's ship investment as well. Using 90-100m ganknados is more of an investment, and you're at a higher risk of loss, than bombers or AFs.

Using 250m Ravens to run L4s in Empire space for 50m/hour is a whole different prospect than using 40m SBs to make 600m/hour with similar risk of loss.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#140 - 2014-06-10 03:40:11 UTC
i don't know much about pve but i noticed several times that you can apparently finish FW lv4 missions without npc agro. For example the mission with the force field in the middle seems to be very popular under my wartargets since you can just park your SB below it and hit the primary objective. If a player enters you cloak (no npc agro.. no lock so you can cloak) in safety 100+km away from the warpin.

I only saw (and even recorded it) in FW missions against amarr NPCs - i don't know if there is a difference in npc agression between factions... but i believe amar rats not agressing at all could be considered a balancing issue. But i bet farmers love it (and since it doesn't influence sov i don't really care tbh).

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value