These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Getting Free Gank Kills Courtesy The CODE. Alliance

Author
DJentropy Ovaert
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#81 - 2014-06-19 00:31:17 UTC
Paynus Maiassus wrote:

Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

tl;dr version of the answer to that question: NO, it does not work.

Taking advice from Dyrsonbenningon about game mechanics in EVE online is like taking advice from your kitten for how to build a space shuttle.

At best, Dryson will teach you how to appear on CONCORD killmails. If you have any sort of grip on reality, after a short period of time you will realize that your presence on the field is not actually affecting anything and the exact same battle will play out regardless if you were there or not, you will likely move on to doing something useful.

Or join us! We have lots of lol and much pew pew pew :)
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#82 - 2014-06-19 06:48:53 UTC
Guarantee you'll have more fun joining CODE than opposing it.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Azov Rassau
Iron Destiny
#83 - 2014-06-19 12:25:13 UTC
I don't even know why you would use armor logi to save miners. All mining ships are shield tanked. You have to apply as much overheated shield transfer as possible and you must do this as quickly as possible, hence the idea of "Burst Osprey." (with armor logi you also need to watch and wait the shields go down before actually starting to repair.)

The info below might be out-dated, but to give you an idea:

[Osprey, Allahu Akbar]
Reactor Control Unit II
Co-Processor II
Co-Processor II

Sensor Booster II
Medium Capacitor Battery II
Medium Capacitor Battery II

Large S95a Remote Shield Booster

Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Light Armor Maintenance Bot I x4

Astecus wrote:
[...] It looks strange, but filling an unusual role very well. The Osprey is not built for using large shield transporters, and I was amazed when I finally managed to squeeze in 5 of those, with almost no cpu or powergrid left.[...] this fit has 2 "configurations" - the first configuration is keeping all 5 large shield transporters online and offlining both capacitor batteries. If you do that, you have capacitor to run your transporters for 10 cycles, repairing a total of 6240 shield HP (624 per cycle). This can be done as quickly as over 5-6 seconds, because of shield boosters repairing at the start of the cycle. If you count resistances, the EHP repaired will be higher. Should you happen to receive fleet bonuses from a maxed tengu siege warfare booster (pre Odyssey 1.1), you can run your transporters for 16 cycles, repairing 9984 shield HP, over 9-10 seconds. In lower security systems like 0.5, concord can spend up to 25 seconds to react. In these systems it might be best to switch to the second configuration, which is to offline one transporter and online both capacitor batteries. This gives you capacitor enough for 17 cycles and 10608 shield HP repaired over 20-22 seconds, or 27 cycles and 16848 shield HP repaired over 17-19 seconds with a maxed tengu booster. […]

More info at: http://www.astralservices.net/?Anti-gankLogistics

As for your fits, Dryson, I respect your willingness, but not really the results. Before sharing your fits, make sure that they have at least one proven in-game success in a given gank-countering scenario.

Otherwise, this thread will turn into Bennington's Fail-Fit Factory [BFFF]

Voyager Arran wrote:
Seriously, what the hell are these fits? Why do you need drone navigation computers on an Augoror of all ******* things? Why do you have a cap chain and cap injectors?

Thanks for the laugh. +1

Be the change you want to see in Highsec.

Anti-Ganking Fun: www.gankerjamming.com

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#84 - 2014-06-19 17:07:57 UTC
Azov Rassau wrote:
A Perfectly reasonable fit

That is what a cap boosted osprey should look like. Well done.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#85 - 2014-06-19 20:05:43 UTC
DJentropy Ovaert wrote:
Paynus Maiassus wrote:

Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

tl;dr version of the answer to that question: NO, it does not work.

Taking advice from Dyrsonbenningon about game mechanics in EVE online is like taking advice from your kitten for how to build a space shuttle.

At best, Dryson will teach you how to appear on CONCORD killmails. If you have any sort of grip on reality, after a short period of time you will realize that your presence on the field is not actually affecting anything and the exact same battle will play out regardless if you were there or not, you will likely move on to doing something useful.

Actually it will work to a certain degree. If the gankers have enough alpha to kill the target in one fleet volley, then the target will die before Concord can kill the gankers. If the gankers do not have enough to alpha in one volley, and have to fire more that 2-3 volleys; then Concord being on grid may counter the gank, as Concord will most likely be able to one shot the gankers. Not to mention Concord also jams, and Faction Police will also be on hand.
Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#86 - 2014-06-19 22:16:17 UTC
If there is a giant pile of Catalysts mobbing something, one spawn of Concord is unlikely to make a difference. At worst, you'd need to have any Taloses or whatever hold fire for one second to make sure Catalysts took the initial Concord aggro. If they were going to be a problem (you are cutting it very close, everyone is in Brutixes, etc), you can just have your bumpers move the Freighter another 150km or use your own pulling alt to drag that spawn out of the way.
Cinc
Apathetic Lamenters of Everything
#87 - 2014-06-20 18:22:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Cinc
DJentropy Ovaert wrote:

I lol'd. However, I'm fairly certain puppies give better advice than kittens. I'm looking for a good corp where I can act on my desires to destroy things. You all have some space?
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#88 - 2014-06-20 19:39:14 UTC
Cinc wrote:
DJentropy Ovaert wrote:

I lol'd. However, I'm fairly certain puppies give better advice than kittens. I'm looking for a good corp where I can act on my desires to destroy things. You all have some space?

Puppies are too busy chewing on the booster rockets to give any advice.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#89 - 2014-06-20 20:36:04 UTC
Cinc wrote:
DJentropy Ovaert wrote:

If you want to PvP - join FW, EVE University, Red vs. Blue, or Brave Newbies. All will provide you with PvP opportunities with the latter 3 actually giving you some guidance.
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#90 - 2014-06-22 01:02:58 UTC  |  Edited by: DrysonBennington
Another way to frustrate CODE is too use Remote Shield and Armor rep ships on their target.

If they don't get the gank the first time then they have spend an extra round of ships the second time around.

Nibble Nibble Nibble.

Nice mouth by the way Loyallononona.
Chenguang Hucel-Ge
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2014-06-22 07:58:05 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
Another way to frustrate CODE is too use Remote Shield and Armor rep ships on their target.

You've collected fail fit before and got some working shield ones later. You know, that's not even funny anymore, just dumb.
/unsub
Catalytic morphisis
Deep Space Coalition
Fraternity.
#92 - 2014-06-22 08:00:23 UTC
Chenguang Hucel-Ge wrote:
DrysonBennington wrote:

You've collected fail fit before and got some working shield ones later. You know, that's not even funny anymore, just dumb.
/unsub

agreed, gone past humour and to just pure terrible

Actual Link free and scout free solo PvP'er

412nv Yaken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#93 - 2014-06-22 10:26:05 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:

If they don't get the gank the first time then they have spend an extra round of ships the second time around.

Nibble Nibble Nibble.

Nice mouth by the way Loyallononona.

It really doesnt. We still come in dunk on your face and blast through your reps with no issues.

Code (666) - White Knights (0)

TwistedTwistedTwistedPiratePiratePiratePirate

A True Champion of High Security Space

DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#94 - 2014-06-22 14:28:26 UTC
How does it feel to be the HIV - e of New Eden CODE Alliance?

Sure your viral strain is causing mass damage to the system of Aufay right now, but with any medical treatment a cure will be found that will rid the body of Aufay of your filth.

Where is your savior?

James315? He never comes out of his house to lead you in glorious battle. Yet he expects you to do his bidding.

What a shameful savior if I ever did see one.

Typical traitor brother to sacrifice those before him to reap the profits afterwards.

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#95 - 2014-06-22 18:43:00 UTC
Your misunderstanding of how Code. works and why would be laughable it it weren't so mind numbingly awful. We don't get told to gank, we don't receive orders, we volunteer for everything. James is a very busy man with saving high sec and all.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

412nv Yaken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#96 - 2014-06-22 23:12:29 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
How does it feel to be the HIV - e of New Eden CODE Alliance?

Sure your viral strain is causing mass damage to the system of Aufay right now, but with any medical treatment a cure will be found that will rid the body of Aufay of your filth.

Where is your savior?

James315? He never comes out of his house to lead you in glorious battle. Yet he expects you to do his bidding.

What a shameful savior if I ever did see one.

Typical traitor brother to sacrifice those before him to reap the profits afterwards.

I dont even know where to start, so i wont.

#thecodealwayswins

#Thankyoutoourgoonoverlordsformakingthishappen

A True Champion of High Security Space

DJentropy Ovaert
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#97 - 2014-06-23 00:44:07 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:

Actually it will work to a certain degree. If the gankers have enough alpha to kill the target in one fleet volley, then the target will die before Concord can kill the gankers. If the gankers do not have enough to alpha in one volley, and have to fire more that 2-3 volleys; then Concord being on grid may counter the gank, as Concord will most likely be able to one shot the gankers. Not to mention Concord also jams, and Faction Police will also be on hand.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

Read over Dryson's proposal that we are discussing, the mighty "The Scissors Attack Technique" Now, stop laughing :) Anyway, check out the specifics of what he has titled as "The final tactic against CODE." which will result in the "beginning of a new era".

So, the final tactic consists of - "First create two alts from your primary." Sure. Ok, now we find the bumping ship that is keeping the freighter where we want it. Check! Ok, now one of those throw away alts shoots the bumping ship. This results in the alts rookie ship being lost, ONE spawn of concord being moved on grid, and that alt having a 15 min countdown during which time he no longer can have any meaningful effect on anything.

Now, at this point DrysonBennington starts to lose touch with reality. To quote:

"This will draw CONCORD to the exact location where the target is located. You will lose security status and a rookie ship in the process but getting the auto-pilots through the gates is more important. "

This makes zero sense and I don't understand how he thinks that doing a trivial amount of damage to the bumper and causing one CONCORD spawn to appear on grid is somehow going to.... prevent the bumper from keeping the freigher bumped?

But wait! The unstoppable "scissors attack technique" has a secret weapon! A SECOND ALT. According to Dryson, we can now use that second alt to cause a "fresh set" of concord to show up on grid! Right? No! Not even close :) There is already one CONCORD spawn on grid. That spawn will destroy the second alt, resulting in no change at all to the situation.

And then we have..

"Continue to employ this tactic for as long as the targeted ship remains on auto-pilot. If CODE decides to arrive and do any ganking then CONCORD will already be on the scene and CODE will not be able to gank their prize."

We've totally jumped off the reality bus now and are just lost in the vast wilderness of how game mechanics work in the mind of DrysonBenningon. You can continue to employ this tactic as long as you want - there is still ONE concord spawn on grid, and everytime one of these two magical alts shoots something on the same grid - that exact same concord spawn kills the alt. Additional spawns are not created.

So, we warp in to kill the freighter in a fleet of 10-30 ships depending on the targets fittings and what kind of ganking fleet comp we are running. Let's assume we use 20 catalyst players to attack our target.

All 20 cats drop on grid and open fire. Whoever was unlucky enough to fire FIRST will be destroyed by the SINGLE spawn of CONCORD after somewhere around 8 seconds. That unlucky agent will have time to fire 3-5 vollys depending on skills.

That leaves 19 cats on grid who have also starting shooting, and the moment they opened fire - if there is already other CONCORD spawns *anywhere* in the system, that spawn will jump to that player after the normal amount of time passes. Assuming this is 0.5 - we're talking a full 17-22 seconds before that player is locked down and destroyed. Repeat this for all 19 of the players. If there are not already 19 spawns of CONCORD somewhere in the system - then a "fresh" spawn will show up for some of the players. The "fresh" spawn is actually a little bit quicker then a spawn is already available in the system, and the result is about 5 seconds less time for that player. So 12-17 seconds or so.

tl;dr version - this technique in our imaginary 20 man catalyst fleet results in 1 of the 20 not doing the full amount of damage. This is why generally you use a bit more firepower then you actually need to make this a total non-issue.

Now, let's get creative and assume Dryson gets 10 other people to imagine he knows what he is talking about. So all ten of them warp to the bumper and fire - now we have TEN spawns on concord right on the gate, which will cut out DPS by a bunch - but that's where basic strategy comes into play! We have a few simple choices at this point that negate this, I'll give you the super obvious ones and leave some of them to your imagination or google use to figure out.

1) Bumper counts ten concord spawns @ gate. Ten of us undock in rookie ships and warp to the POCO that is closest to the gate and all shoot it at the same time. All ten spawns move to the poco. Gate is clear. Gank fleet warps in.

2) Bumper bumps the freighter over 150km away from all concord spawns. If concord is more then 150km away from you when you go criminal, they might as well 100au away. You get the full timer.

But wait! What if after we pull concord away from the gate the might scissors technique players all undock their second alts and go shoot the bumper again?

I'm not going to go any further with this except to assure you that with some creative thinking and understanding of how CONCORD moves and how Criminal timers work - and perhaps some support from a rather large and specific ship type - this is just trivial.

End result of the "Scissors Technique" = worthless. Based on someone's incomplete understanding of the involved mechanics and of no value against a experienced gank fleet. At best - it would present a minor annoyance that may result int the target being destroyed 2 or 3 mins later then it would have without the "Scissiors Technique".

Unlike DrysonBennington - this analysis is based on actual proven experience. :-)
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#98 - 2014-06-23 01:35:59 UTC
Excellent. Detailed and accurate. Unlike anything Dryson said.

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#99 - 2014-06-23 15:44:55 UTC
Gotcha! Very good explanation, but couldn't one spawn of Concord be able to kill multiple ships? After all they instapop ships, so I would assume they could kill ships in quick succession. Isn't that what happens? The onsite Concord kills the first ship, then the second, and so on. What I am getting from DJentropy is that a new Concord has to spawn to deal with additional ships.
Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#100 - 2014-06-23 16:52:09 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
Gotcha! Very good explanation, but couldn't one spawn of Concord be able to kill multiple ships? After all they instapop ships, so I would assume they could kill ships in quick succession. Isn't that what happens? The onsite Concord kills the first ship, then the second, and so on. What I am getting from DJentropy is that a new Concord has to spawn to deal with additional ships.

No, each concord spawn deals with one criminal only. Once they are done, then they respond to a second criminal, but that second response has the same response timer, even though they are already on grid and actively responding. However if every active criminal on grid already has a concord unit en-route to respond to them, they will sit there on grid waiting for a new criminal to flag.

Rabble Rabble Rabble