These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Don't try this at home!

First post First post
Author
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#41 - 2014-05-19 20:08:55 UTC
The very fact that you felt obligated to post this seems to indicate your anti-rmt operations are not working as well as you'd like.

Or are people finally realizing that CCP is full of grandiose dreams and empty promises and have stopped buying plex at a sustainable level....What?

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#42 - 2014-05-19 20:14:50 UTC
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
The very fact that you felt obligated to post this seems to indicate your anti-rmt operations are not working as well as you'd like.

Or are people finally realizing that CCP is full of grandiose dreams and empty promises and have stopped buying plex at a sustainable level....What?

The very fact you felt obligated to post this seems indicative of the fact that your RMT operation is being heavily targeted and you're not making as much money as you'd like

Hahaha this "make up huge unsupported conclusions" game is fun. Now you!

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#43 - 2014-05-19 20:15:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
Thread lacks info regarding success over RMT and EULA violators.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#44 - 2014-05-19 20:19:53 UTC
CCP Grimmi wrote:

Crafty as they are, they have a weakness. It's money.

Much like the company you work for.

How about set an example and stop selling ISK yourselves?

-Remove PLEX.
-Keep GTC but make them non tradable. Game Time Code, not ISK generators.
-ISK for game time is a direct transaction in-game via the market to CCP. Like skill books.

Mr Epeen Cool

Markus45
Doomheim
#45 - 2014-05-19 20:21:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Markus45
Malcanis wrote:
Ahost Gceo wrote:
Would be nice if PLEX wasn't 723 million. People right now are just going to pay for subs because the prices are ridiculously high. Of those who find "plexing" too daunting a prospect, a good portion are just going to go inactive. Straight

If you want cheaper PLEX then you should support the GM team's campaign against botters and RMTers. Every player that buys ISK from an RMT site is one that doesn't buy a PLEX from CCP to sell for ISK, thus reducing PLEX supply and increasing PLEX prices.

RMTers are literally stealing from you.

Burn them out.

There are players who do far worse in this game than botting and are much bigger parasites to the community, yet CCP rarely gives them more than a smack on the wrist.

CCP should change their attitudes towards players who choose to bot for easy ISK but do not RMT. They view all botters as vermin; meanwhile cyberbullies and the like are rarely headhunted unless a CSM member blogs about it.

I support the rules against botting and RMTing but I believe they need to treat the non-RMTing botters with more respect considering their leniency when it comes to griefers and other EULA/TOS breakers. I understand botting affects their bottom-line which is why they are so concerned. It sends the wrong message though when they show this much concern when it's about money, and far less concern when it's about their players being victimized.

I have reported people for botting before, and most of the time they end up banned. Within a few days.
I have also reported people before for insults/offensive/hate speech, sourcing up to a dozen examples sometimes. Not once have I seen any of these players banned or even muted.

It's not right that they viciously go after those who affect them, and do nothing about those who don't.
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#46 - 2014-05-19 20:25:14 UTC
CCP Grimmi wrote:
Counterintuitively, we buy ISK. We do it to track, find and terminate RMT operations. Buying ISK for this purpose is in our budget as good return of investment in the fight against RMT.

Crafty as they are, they have a weakness. It's money. They do anything to get it. Account hacking, credit card fraud, exploits and botting is all part of THEIR game. However, protecting our players from violations of the EULA and more serious offenses is OUR game, and we have the team to do it.

Sadly, some buyers may be affected when ISK originating from such sources is confiscated and bans issued. However, our EULA is also clear that players should not buy outside of EVE or CCP. We regret all damages caused by RMT and will never tire of telling people about PLEX and how it may be purchased on our website and through our official retail partners, listed here. Or that PLEX can then be sold via the in-game for ISK. Heaps of ISK!

Now, thar's something ye might want to try at home.

This leaves only one question...

Who will WE be buying from this week?

Blah blah...
Sorry. while I applaud your efforts, this sounds more every day like the zany ideas of the united states' "War on Drugs".
I will take you seriously when you start naming names, and outing char names, corps, and alliances.

It is utterly ludicrous to suggest that IMAGINARY names, which according to the EULA, CCP owns anyway and has complete and utter control over, are somehow protected by "privacy concerns".

You start posting names, and quantities of ISK, and that will go a long way to establishing credibility.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#47 - 2014-05-19 20:27:40 UTC
Markus45 wrote:

I will never support a campaign that headhunts players for simply engaging in botting. There are players who do far worse in this game and are much bigger parasites to the community, yet CCP rarely gives them more than a smack on the wrist.

CCP should change their attitudes towards players who choose to bot for easy ISK but do not RMT. They view all botters as vermin; meanwhile cyberbullies and the like are rarely headhunted unless a CSM member blogs about it.

I support the rules against botting and RMTing but I believe they need to treat the non-RMTing botters with more respect considering their leniency when it comes to griefers and other EULA/TOS breakers.

So basically what you're saying is that cheating is okay, so long as they don't RMT the ill-gotten gains of their cheating? Really?

Botting represents an economic faucet that mere mortal players with lives and jobs and sleep requirements cannot hope to match. They're treated as "vermin" because in a game that revolves around a player-run economy, their operations are to the detriment of every single legitimate player in the game.

Actual "griefing" is extremely rare in Eve, and is, in fact, handled by the GMs. You are most likely utilizing your own definition of the term, and not CCP's. Merely subjecting you to some form of in-game adversity does not constitute "griefing".

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2014-05-19 20:32:56 UTC
DEATH TO THE HEATHENS!

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#49 - 2014-05-19 20:35:51 UTC
Dirk MacGirk wrote:
The whole thread is against the forum rules why? I don't thing Grimmi wrote anything that related to the rules you listed
The Rules:

21. Posting regarding RMT (Real Money Trading) is prohibited.

Posts discussing, linking to, or advertising RMT, including but not limited to the sale of in game items, assets, currency, characters or game accounts for real life money are strictly prohibited.

I left it out because I didn't apply it...Cool

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#50 - 2014-05-19 20:40:17 UTC
Lisa Gentilette wrote:
Ahost Gceo wrote:
Would be nice if PLEX wasn't 723 million. People right now are just going to pay for subs because the prices are ridiculously high. Of those who find "plexing" too daunting a prospect, a good portion are just going to go inactive. Straight

Eve is 15 bucks a month, less if you pay for a year.
If you have trouble paying *roughly* 15 bucks a month (0.50 cts a day) for your favorite game then you have bigger problems then the price of PLEX.

Admit it, your mom lets you use her credit card, right? You might even live in her basement? I mean, you don't appear to understand real life, and the need to have a place to live or to eat aren't really problems at all.
Sarmatiko
#51 - 2014-05-19 20:54:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
CCP Grimmi wrote:

I believe it when those well-advertised russian goldseller sites that exist for years (and even officially registered and pay taxes under russian law!) suddenly disappear or stop selling ISK.
Your team have people who monitor and make purchases from russian-only sites (including communication with "live operators"), isn't it?
Emiko P'eng
#52 - 2014-05-19 20:54:50 UTC
Hehe!

For all those wanting evidence on what CCP is doing and why I recommend you watch:

EVE Fanfest 2014 - From Evidence to Bans

it might be 54 minutes long.

But it reveals a heck of a lot of real information!
Candi LeMew
Division 13
#53 - 2014-05-19 20:59:18 UTC
CCP Grimmi wrote:
Crafty as they are, they have a weakness. It's money. They do anything to get it.

Pot=/=kettle? Smile

🍌

Remember... in Anoikis Bob Is Always Watching...

"I been kicked out of better homes than this" - Rick James

Marsha Mallow
#54 - 2014-05-19 21:01:26 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Blah blah...
Sorry. while I applaud your efforts, this sounds more every day like the zany ideas of the united states' "War on Drugs".
I will take you seriously when you start naming names, and outing char names, corps, and alliances.

It is utterly ludicrous to suggest that IMAGINARY names, which according to the EULA, CCP owns anyway and has complete and utter control over, are somehow protected by "privacy concerns".

You start posting names, and quantities of ISK, and that will go a long way to establishing credibility.

Naming names is counter-productive as it targets the entity rather than the individual(s), and creates a witch hunt which bypasses the real problem: buyers. Point of this thread. Don't buy dirty money.

Everyone wants to finger wag at botters and RMTers, but the reality is the buyers are the problem. Let's see some stats on those scrubs.

As with any crime, whether done out of ignorance or greed, they create the market. And we all suffer the consequences.

Let's have a wall of shame for the buyers too, eh.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Xenuria
#55 - 2014-05-19 21:10:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Xenuria
CCP Grimmi wrote:
Counterintuitively, we buy ISK. We do it to track, find and terminate RMT operations. Buying ISK for this purpose is in our budget as good return of investment in the fight against RMT.

Crafty as they are, they have a weakness. It's money. They do anything to get it. Account hacking, credit card fraud, exploits and botting is all part of THEIR game. However, protecting our players from violations of the EULA and more serious offenses is OUR game, and we have the team to do it.

Sadly, some buyers may be affected when ISK originating from such sources is confiscated and bans issued. However, our EULA is also clear that players should not buy outside of EVE or CCP. We regret all damages caused by RMT and will never tire of telling people about PLEX and how it may be purchased on our website and through our official retail partners, listed here. Or that PLEX can then be sold via the in-game for ISK. Heaps of ISK!

Now, thar's something ye might want to try at home.

This leaves only one question...

I like the idea of a team spending their time on infiltrating RMT ops. You are correct, their weakness IS money. Due to that weakness they will not be picky about who they sell too. It must be rather easy to figure these people out, every encounter I have had with isk sellers has been wildly amusing. They appear to lack any understanding of language or syntax.

Where might I go to find a spreadsheet of all the illegal isk removed? I want to see charts and graphs of this.
Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#56 - 2014-05-19 21:16:52 UTC
At least Grimmi here is not just coding his way into a Titan.

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2014-05-19 21:18:34 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:

That would be kind of neat. Instead of the "WANTED" text it would say "CHEATER" and their bio would be permanently replaced with the EULA or something. CCP could probably also add a prefix to their in-game name for easy differentiation.

And mandatory Groucho Marx goggles.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Dirk MacGirk
Specter Syndicate
#58 - 2014-05-19 21:20:20 UTC
Emiko P'eng wrote:
Hehe!

For all those wanting evidence on what CCP is doing and why I recommend you watch:

EVE Fanfest 2014 - From Evidence to Bans

it might be 54 minutes long.

But it reveals a heck of a lot of real information!

Please don't provide evidence. they don't really want evidence. They just want to b!tch
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#59 - 2014-05-19 21:22:41 UTC
Haven't cracked it open in a while, but didn't ISK: The Guide used to have an old advertisement for PLEX? Something about a guy caught doing RMT having all his stuff stripped from him, and then saying "Don't be this guy", or something along those lines?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#60 - 2014-05-19 21:23:56 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Blah blah...

Naming names is counter-productive as it targets the entity rather than the individual(s), and creates a witch hunt which bypasses the real problem: buyers. Point of this thread. Don't buy dirty money.

Everyone wants to finger wag at botters and RMTers, but the reality is the buyers are the problem. Let's see some stats on those scrubs.

As with any crime, whether done out of ignorance or greed, they create the market. And we all suffer the consequences.

I have no problem with CCP outing buyers, just as long as they are equal opportunity, and out sellers.

But like the u.s. war on drugs, targeting buyers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate, many for small pot amounts) does not work.

Bottom line, naming anyone is NOT an infringement of any privacy, since we are discussing char names that only exist in the Eve universe, and CCP owns all rights to anyway.