These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Audio Customization in the ESC menu

First post
Author
Droidyk
Maniacal Miners INC
Name Pending Coalition
#21 - 2014-05-14 16:14:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Droidyk
Aye, I was excited for this feature mainly because I wanted to finally turn all these sounds up Big smile, but they are no different in volume than they are on TQ, even when on max of course, very subtle. But again, I am loving the possibility to adjust all of these awesome sounds.
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#22 - 2014-05-14 16:17:26 UTC
Droidyk wrote:
Aye, I was excited for this feature mainly because I wanted to finally turn all these sounds up Big smile, but they are no different in volume than they are on TQ, even when on max of course. But again, I am loving the possibility to adjust all of these awesome sounds.


the mix is the same.
it just allows you to turn stuff down.

sorry, but turning stuff up would seriously require a massive remapping of everything in the audio project, and it would take months to do so properly without messing it up completely.

a full re-mix of the system is thought of, but not for now unfortunately.

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#23 - 2014-05-14 16:39:22 UTC
Hey CCP WhiteNoiseTrash!

I guess this is probably not the right thread, but its the most "recent" sound thread no locked...

MWD and AB sounds, I know thats something that come and goes :D. Apparently it will be back in Kronos.
You should really consider making them audible when the camera is facing the ship, only being able to hear them when looking at the engines isn't really pleasant. Or at least widen the angle at which they can be heard ;)

Other than that my feedback on it will remain unchanged, MWD sound is too high-pitched, not very comfortable to hear. It could become a distortion sound, because thats what the microwardrive kind of does :o

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#24 - 2014-05-14 16:43:43 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
Altrue wrote:
Hey CCP WhiteNoiseTrash!

I guess this is probably not the right thread, but its the most "recent" sound thread no locked...

MWD and AB sounds, I know thats something that come and goes :D. Apparently it will be back in Kronos.
You should really consider making them audible when the camera is facing the ship, only being able to hear them when looking at the engines isn't really pleasant. Or at least widen the angle at which they can be heard ;)

Other than that my feedback on it will remain unchanged, MWD sound is too high-pitched, not very comfortable to hear. It could become a distortion sound, because thats what the microwardrive kind of does :o



well. it's a compromise I guess.
last time, we got hundreds of complaints regarding that the engines were audible all over, and not just from the back.
I can't put that back in, sorry.

If the MWD or similar, is too high pitched and unpleasant for you - sorry about that. I have checked and there is no spike frequency in them, so you really should check your setup or have your hearing check (seriously) as you may have a very low upper threshold of frequencies, if it becomes unpleasant that early in the spectrum.
Not saying that you are wrong, but there is no spike, so if it's unpleasant for you, it could mean a lot of things.

I'll go over it. but I can't really do anything about widening the angle.

The other thread is locked, because it was moved here
:)

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.

Titus Tallang
EVE University
Ivy League
#25 - 2014-05-14 17:31:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Titus Tallang
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
yea, because that's "just" something you do?
like remixing the entire project and so on.

it would require a months work of setting up for it to work.
so it may come some day in the future, but certainly not now.


Wasn't trying to be an armchair designer - sorry if it came across that way. I just posted what popped to the top of my head Oops

Director of Education - EVE University - http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#26 - 2014-05-14 18:51:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Altrue
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
Altrue wrote:
Stuff


well. it's a compromise I guess.
last time, we got hundreds of complaints regarding that the engines were audible all over, and not just from the back.
I can't put that back in, sorry.

If the MWD or similar, is too high pitched and unpleasant for you - sorry about that. I have checked and there is no spike frequency in them, so you really should check your setup or have your hearing check (seriously) as you may have a very low upper threshold of frequencies, if it becomes unpleasant that early in the spectrum.
Not saying that you are wrong, but there is no spike, so if it's unpleasant for you, it could mean a lot of things.

I'll go over it. but I can't really do anything about widening the angle.


Oh unpleasant is an exageration, I should've said "kind of" :D The high-pitched comment was more of an artistic one, I was not saying that it was that high-pitched ^^.
On a frigate the MWD sound like some kind of.. I don't know, an oil engine put at maximum. -Maybe thats just me eh! Also I'm bad at describing sounds-
But I said "unpleasant" because to me it feels like my ship is painfully pushing itself at its limits :D. Thats what the MWD sound makes me picture. If you say MWD sounds, I'd expect a sound more... high-tech, I guess. Personal taste ;)

About the complaints for the MWD sound angle, weren't the complaints more bound to the fact that the sound distance was all buggy at some point on TQ? Bah I don't recall.

Thanks for answering anyway and good luck trying to make Eve sound cool! (In my opinion, its harder than graphic design, because sound also carries an atmosphere, and because it triggers uncounsious images that are harder to pinpoint)

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Droidyk
Maniacal Miners INC
Name Pending Coalition
#27 - 2014-05-14 21:25:10 UTC
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
so what you are saying is that station interior and shipsounds are too low?
I can make them louder, no problem.

but we received a number of complaints before this system about specifically those being too loud?
and the jumpgates in particular?


Aye, appreciate your response :), if they could be as loud as anything I think now it is easily settable for people who don't want the sounds too loud. I was just thinking about the immersion. But they are definitely bit more loud than they were. Thanks for your hard work.
Legedric Striker
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#28 - 2014-05-15 07:44:45 UTC
I am still missing a setting to tune my EVE Voice volume properly... it's just on/off and that's by far the most annoying thing about EVE for me that you are not able to adjust the volume for the ingame EVE Voice tool...

The way it is now is sooooo "last century"...

EVE-Skillplan.net - Plan your pilot skill training online on PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone!

CCP Sisyphus
C C P
C C P Alliance
#29 - 2014-05-15 08:50:24 UTC
Altrue wrote:
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
[quote=Altrue]Stuff

Thanks for answering anyway and good luck trying to make Eve sound cool! (In my opinion, its harder than graphic design, because sound also carries an atmosphere, and because it triggers uncounsious images that are harder to pinpoint)


how very true. Straight
Thanks for the recognition though :) mucho appreciated Big smile

CCP Sisyphus | Team TriLambda | Team Klang | @CCP_Sisyphus

CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#30 - 2014-05-15 11:15:14 UTC
Droidyk wrote:
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
so what you are saying is that station interior and shipsounds are too low?
I can make them louder, no problem.

but we received a number of complaints before this system about specifically those being too loud?
and the jumpgates in particular?


Aye, appreciate your response :), if they could be as loud as anything I think now it is easily settable for people who don't want the sounds too loud. I was just thinking about the immersion. But they are definitely bit more loud than they were. Thanks for your hard work.


actually. you are right about that.
Some sounds could actually "easily" be mixed slightly louder - without much buzz to it, because you can now town them down.

I'll see if I can do a quick remix for Kronos, but don't expect anything, it all depends on a lot of other stuff I am in need of doing first.

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.

Oxigun
Halliburton Heavy Industries
#31 - 2014-05-16 22:46:42 UTC
Dear CCP WNT,

thank you for your and your team's efforts in making our multiboxing lives easier.

I have been trying to isolate a specific sound effect and squash it but I can't seem to replicate it: It's a trill-trill sound that happens in WH space when running ops. I don't believe it's related to defensive weapons but it is very piercing and annoying to me. Can you help identify it so i can lower the volume?

Thank you and cheers!

Oxi
Orla- King-Griffin
#32 - 2014-05-17 17:47:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Orla- King-Griffin
I can ballgag Aura!
Love it!

Ah shite...

CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#33 - 2014-05-17 20:14:30 UTC
Oxigun wrote:
Dear CCP WNT,

thank you for your and your team's efforts in making our multiboxing lives easier.

I have been trying to isolate a specific sound effect and squash it but I can't seem to replicate it: It's a trill-trill sound that happens in WH space when running ops. I don't believe it's related to defensive weapons but it is very piercing and annoying to me. Can you help identify it so i can lower the volume?

Thank you and cheers!

Oxi


Yes, this is one of the main problems to "my solution" and the feature. is that not all sounds are linked to a slider and not all sliders cover "everything" in their respective name area.

I'll try to re-create the situation you mention, but if you could frap it for me with FRAPS it would be VERY helpful. or any other capturing software for that matter.
it would make spotting the sound very easy.

and keep this kind of stuff coming, if you can't turn down a specific sound or want to know where it's located in the slider hierarchy - I'm right here to serve you.

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.

CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#34 - 2014-05-17 20:15:00 UTC
Orla- King-Griffin wrote:
I can ballgag Aura!
Love it!


you could before as well. now you can just do it in two places :D

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.

Occam
Nova-Tek
#35 - 2014-05-17 21:33:53 UTC
I was pretty stoked to see some sound customization, yet I still don't see a way to disable combat music. I love the music in EVE, but the combat hype is just not my style. Any chance on having a way to disable JUST the combat music?
Orla- King-Griffin
#36 - 2014-05-17 21:38:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Orla- King-Griffin
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
Orla- King-Griffin wrote:
I can ballgag Aura!
Love it!


you could before as well. now you can just do it in two places :D

Yeaaaaay for options!

Also this.
Occam wrote:
I was pretty stoked to see some sound customization, yet I still don't see a way to disable combat music. I love the music in EVE, but the combat hype is just not my style. Any chance on having a way to disable JUST the combat music?

If not, could it be replaced/updated?

Ah shite...

CCP WhiteNoiseTrash
C C P
C C P Alliance
#37 - 2014-05-18 07:34:29 UTC
Orla- King-Griffin wrote:
CCP WhiteNoiseTrash wrote:
Orla- King-Griffin wrote:
I can ballgag Aura!
Love it!


you could before as well. now you can just do it in two places :D

Yeaaaaay for options!

Also this.
Occam wrote:
I was pretty stoked to see some sound customization, yet I still don't see a way to disable combat music. I love the music in EVE, but the combat hype is just not my style. Any chance on having a way to disable JUST the combat music?

If not, could it be replaced/updated?


Not sure if it's possible for Kronos.
but I can see if I can divide them into separate things, and you can disable or turn it down.

Bjørn Jacobsen | Deceased Audio Designer | EVE Online & EVE : Valkyrie | CCP Games | I might be slow at replying - but at least I'm bad at football.

Solhild
Doomheim
#38 - 2014-05-18 09:34:29 UTC
This is great work and an excellent feature.

I'm also highly entertained by the Dev's posting style. This will enhance my forum lurking immeasurablyCool
Nicen Jehr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2014-05-18 14:08:53 UTC
Solhild wrote:
I'm also highly entertained by the Dev's posting style. This will enhance my forum lurking immeasurablyCool

WNT FTW!
btw I was the guy with the bandanna who attended fanfest audio roundtable and waved hi at the office on Monday morning after Fanfest :)
Orla- King-Griffin
#40 - 2014-05-18 23:37:06 UTC
I don't know what's up with this but i haven't seen anyone mention it so.

Ui @90% scaling

Ah shite...