These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Recruitment and API keys

Author
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#121 - 2014-05-12 23:13:57 UTC
Corvald Tyrska wrote:
even when they have nothing to steal and no high value assets to lose.

That's exactly when they have the most to lose.
Django Askulf
Black Rebel Death Squad
#122 - 2014-05-12 23:20:19 UTC
Andski wrote:

Or just stay in your corp with your alt because nobody is going to change the way they operate just to accommodate entitled people like you

You shouldnt assume. I never said I was looking for anything.
Erufen Rito
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#123 - 2014-05-13 00:46:35 UTC
Django Askulf wrote:
Erufen Rito wrote:

I'll say it again. If you can't trust your potential corpmates to check your API, you are either hiding something, or not to be trusted.

Nothing to hide here, and I can say without a doubt, that anyone who'm I have grown to know since joining Eve, will say I am very trustworthy.

Unlike most of society nowdays, I value my privacy more than anything. Im also not keen to giving my API to anyone who isnt a friend. Its just the principle of it. You wont find me on facebook, twitter, or whatever new nonsense that comes out.

Maybe if corps recruited people they know, and trust, rather than any warm body that will join their F1 blob fest, and help fill the CEO's wallet. There wouldnt be a need for such API nonsense. Im an open book when I know someone.

If the CEO cant trust me, then I cant trust him.

That's great and wonderful. It's kind of funny that you come to an MMO, where the basis of the market is social interaction, and expect 110% privacy, on your fictional persona. I can use my currently available tools to find out who you are, what you do and where you've been. an API makes it so much easier to keep tabs on though, so your privacy flag just paid a visit to my nether regions, figuratively of course.

It's even funnier that you tried to draw a parallel with social media, considering that the information on both mediums can be fabricated, as it often is, and neither medium has an active campaign on protecting your privacy. *facebook is a business because they sell information, didn't you know?*

You are still thinking that we (the corp recruiters/CEOs) owe something to you. We don't. In fact, we have no reason to let you in our goods, information, community, Sov, wormholes, POSes and allied list if you can't prove who you say you are. It's a wonderful thing that you consider yourself a honest and strai- wait, you had spais in some other places and sold info.
Screw that. This is the very reason I need an API from you, just like I do from anyone else, if you were to apply to my corporation. You would think that none of your previous accounts would appear on this one? I doubt it. There is always something, if you dig deep enough.

You are still evading the principle that trust is earned, not granted. Everywhere, not just in Eve. If not, then you must let anyone spend the night over in your house, without keeping an eye out for things going amiss, right? Or leave your cellphone unattended on a fast food restaurant and expect it to be there, along with your wallet. Because no one would ever dare to cross that line and just take it. I mean, since we are still drawing parallels between a game and social media.

Lastly, You have, once again, evaded the question. Why don't you start your own corp if you are so paranoid about your "privacy"?

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Erufen Rito
Scary Wormhole People
#124 - 2014-05-13 00:55:38 UTC
Corvald Tyrska wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:
Ginger Barbarella wrote:
I do one of two things: 1) I don't give them my API, or 2) I create a new account and move the alt in question to that account. No other alts means no SPAI according to the whole "we need your API!" thing...

When you give an api in a situation like this your account shows younger than your alt, which raises a red flag and generally a denial in most sane recruitment situations.

Debyl Vuld wrote:
''I need to give away all my information to a great leader so they can protect me because I'm not capable of protecting myself''

-eve GD

I need to see where you get your money, who you trade with and what you trade. I need to see who you converse with in mails, who's on your watch list, is it a supercap fleet thats friendly to me? Why do you have it listed.

You've already stated flatly in this thread that you've sold and handed off information about people so this is exactly why people want your full API because in it is that history that reveals you as the rat you are.

In the modern EVE corps provide a lot of resources to their members (the non crap ones anyway) and it is you that should earn their trust for the investment they make in you and not the other way around.

If thats not to your liking, start your own corp where you don't ask for API keys (you'll have to start your own alliance too since most existing alliances now require corps to be on top of API key logging) and report back in 12 months at how well your little experiment in privacy worked out.

I totally get that there is a good reason to do this when you have supercaps and sov to protect, or high value, officer fit missioning and mining ships. But when it is the norm for small corps who live in lowsec with a grand total of half a dozen Caracels in their corp hanger it's pretty bloody ridiculous. There is certainly a time and place for this sort of security but even relatively laid back casual corps are heading that way, even when they have nothing to steal and no high value assets to lose.

Building on this. Let's say that your net worth is 1.5 billion isk, and your best asset is your faction fit rattlesnake. How is the need to keep unwanted people out any different than being, say...Goonswarm? Here is a hint, answering with "goon has sov and titans" is not the right way to go about this question.

This is as nice as I get. Best quote ever https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4137165#post4137165

Django Askulf
Black Rebel Death Squad
#125 - 2014-05-13 01:43:39 UTC
Erufen Rito wrote:
I can use my currently available tools to find out who you are, what you do and where you've been.

Erufen Rito wrote:
You would think that none of your previous accounts would appear on this one? I doubt it. There is always something, if you dig deep enough.

Sounds paranoid, and naa nothing here.

Erufen Rito wrote:
You are still evading the principle that trust is earned, not granted. Everywhere, not just in Eve. If not, then you must let anyone spend the night over in your house, without keeping an eye out for things going amiss, right?

I said trust and respect is earned. Too busy writing the wall of text to notice? I just say its not automatically given because someone is a CEO, or recruiter.

Erufen Rito wrote:
Lastly, You have, once again, evaded the question. Why don't you start your own corp if you are so paranoid about your "privacy"?

Umm, you mad, or just a little out there?
Andski
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#126 - 2014-05-13 05:36:40 UTC
APIs don't really have much counter-intelligence value because competent spies are really good at concealing their sources of funding and tend to avoid in-game means for communication. API keys are only good for finding incompetent spies or awoxers who don't bother with separate accounts. But awoxers are still a pain in the ass and incompetent spies can still be dangerous. API keys are mostly used to ensure that you 1) still own the characters you have in the corp, 2) ensure that the person registering for out-of-game services (TS/mumble, forums, jabber/IRC etc.) is the same person who owns the in-game character and 3) ensure that those requesting reimbursement for specific shiptypes (i.e. logistics, command ships, capitals, etc.) meet skill minimums set by the alliance as a condition for reimbursement.

This is why a lot of corps require API keys for recruitment and won't waste their time dealing with somebody who doesn't want to give it to them. If a group with sov, titans etc. depends solely on API for counter-intelligence it's not a stretch to say that they probably have more spies than actual members.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#127 - 2014-05-13 06:12:05 UTC
Andski wrote:
APIs don't really have much counter-intelligence value because competent spies are really good at concealing their sources of funding and tend to avoid in-game means for communication. API keys are only good for finding incompetent spies or awoxers who don't bother with separate accounts. But awoxers are still a pain in the ass and incompetent spies can still be dangerous. API keys are mostly used to ensure that you 1) still own the characters you have in the corp, 2) ensure that the person registering for out-of-game services (TS/mumble, forums, jabber/IRC etc.) is the same person who owns the in-game character and 3) ensure that those requesting reimbursement for specific shiptypes (i.e. logistics, command ships, capitals, etc.) meet skill minimums set by the alliance as a condition for reimbursement.

This is why a lot of corps require API keys for recruitment and won't waste their time dealing with somebody who doesn't want to give it to them. If a group with sov, titans etc. depends solely on API for counter-intelligence it's not a stretch to say that they probably have more spies than actual members.

All solid points. For the skill part, one thing the last certificate system was able to do was allow a player to make some publicly available. Then a recruiter could see them and know they had x,y,z skills and such. I wonder if it would be worth bringing back something similar to it where the player could offer a specified recruiter a glimpse at their skills. Maybe a skill requirement form as part of the application. Sure it doesn't have to be super detailed like exact skill points or what skill you are currently training. Maybe just a simple check mark on some categories.

Sure there is already 3rd party tools out there that utilize the API, but there is nothing to inform new players about them and like what has already been established as fact; the vast majority of players only deal with the actual client for anything EVE related.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#128 - 2014-05-13 06:43:40 UTC
Andski wrote:
API keys are mostly used to ensure that you 1) still own the characters you have in the corp, 2) ensure that the person registering for out-of-game services (TS/mumble, forums, jabber/IRC etc.) is the same person who owns the in-game character

Do you mean situations where an API key is provided for an account, but the character in the corp is moved to another account but continues to operate on voice servers and such?

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Dex Lysia
Doomheim
#129 - 2014-05-13 06:52:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Dex Lysia
Just like there are awoxers on one side of the fence, there are scumbags on the other too.

One day I logged on to TS and heard a couple of my corp's directors having a laugh over someone's private mail. Nothing to do with corp business, but it did highlight that these particular directors felt the antisocial need to pry into other people's private affairs and spread the contents in the name of humour.

I quietly disabled the API I had given them as I thought we had grown a trusting relationship in the time I'd been there. A week or so later some complete nobody of a director demanded in corp chat "Give me your new API ASAP" or something to that effect. The tone of the people I thought were my friends changed completely. I left the corp that day.

I find it sad that in Eve, unlike any other game I have played, people feel the need to elevate themselves to a position of imaginary power and pretend they have HR departments. Pretending you are a spaceship admiral is the point of the game. Pretending you are as important as those in RL who actually have to deal with tax offices and pay salaries is just pathetic.

It's a game. I, too, will stay solo until more corps realise that they are driving people away with this nonsense.
Andski
Caldari State
#130 - 2014-05-13 06:56:03 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
All solid points. For the skill part, one thing the last certificate system was able to do was allow a player to make some publicly available. Then a recruiter could see them and know they had x,y,z skills and such. I wonder if it would be worth bringing back something similar to it where the player could offer a specified recruiter a glimpse at their skills. Maybe a skill requirement form as part of the application. Sure it doesn't have to be super detailed like exact skill points or what skill you are currently training. Maybe just a simple check mark on some categories.

Sure there is already 3rd party tools out there that utilize the API, but there is nothing to inform new players about them and like what has already been established as fact; the vast majority of players only deal with the actual client for anything EVE related.

You cannot beat the utility and convenience of tools that utilize the API. Even this horrible spreadsheet I made for our reimbursement team is far superior to anything involving the in-game UI. Why? Because an API tool can be designed to process the information and give you just the details you need without any further effort on your part. People have asked for corp-defined certificates in the past, but everyone who has a need for such a thing has already implemented it via an API tool and any implementation of the sort by CCP would certainly be lacking.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Andski
Caldari State
#131 - 2014-05-13 07:04:17 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Andski wrote:
API keys are mostly used to ensure that you 1) still own the characters you have in the corp, 2) ensure that the person registering for out-of-game services (TS/mumble, forums, jabber/IRC etc.) is the same person who owns the in-game character

Do you mean situations where an API key is provided for an account, but the character in the corp is moved to another account but continues to operate on voice servers and such?

More like player A selling character B to player C, who attempts to get character B into the same corp it was in without explicitly impersonating player A (which is against CCP policies)

Without an out-of-game infrastructure the corp director who decides whether or not to accept character B would have to contact player A to see if that's still him, go back through months of corp mails looking for a character sale notice or search for a sale thread on these forums. With an out-of-game infrastructure, the director would simply need to check if that character is under a valid API on file.

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#132 - 2014-05-13 09:46:17 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
Andski wrote:

The entire point of the API is to specifically allow access to data that would be inconvenient/awkward/unhelpful to display in the game client. You're basically arguing that the API fulfills it's purpose What?

There are loads of 3rd party tools out there, and even the greenest of newbies know / get told how to use EFT, Evemon, and the like.

Your hypothetical newbie CEO who is lost in a sea of sharks because he doesn't know about the API just doesn't exist, not to mention anyone green enough to not know about it would be a terrible CEO for 1001 other reasons.

I'm at a loss as to who you think you're standing up for.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#133 - 2014-05-13 09:58:00 UTC
If you want an API you should also demand a Bio

Nothing says "I cant be bothered" or "Im an alt" more than not even taking the time to write "i liek chees hee hee" in an ingame notepad

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

BrundleMeth
State War Academy
Caldari State
#134 - 2014-05-13 12:31:13 UTC  |  Edited by: BrundleMeth
CompleteFailure wrote:
They're not just asking because they're curious or nosy, they're protecting their membership.

But it doesn't protect a bloody thing...

Quote:
Don't like it? Don't join. It's that simple.

I don't and I wont. Been solo for 4 years, I have plenty of fun and they can all kiss my fat sweaty a$$...
Erufen Rito
Scary Wormhole People
#135 - 2014-05-13 15:47:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Erufen Rito
Django Askulf wrote:
Erufen Rito wrote:
I can use my currently available tools to find out who you are, what you do and where you've been.

Erufen Rito wrote:
You would think that none of your previous accounts would appear on this one? I doubt it. There is always something, if you dig deep enough.

Sounds paranoid, and naa nothing here.

Erufen Rito wrote:
You are still evading the principle that trust is earned, not granted. Everywhere, not just in Eve. If not, then you must let anyone spend the night over in your house, without keeping an eye out for things going amiss, right?

I said trust and respect is earned. Too busy writing the wall of text to notice? I just say its not automatically given because someone is a CEO, or recruiter.

Erufen Rito wrote:

Umm, you mad, or just a little out there?

Uh, well I did ask a simple question, and you have refused to answer it. So maybe I am a bit out there. What of it?

You say trust is earned, and it goes both ways, but you won't hand out your API. I like how you completly ignored the scenarios I drew for you as well as your social media parallel.

By now, it sounds like you are just trolling, and are continuing this "discussion" for the sake of stroking your ego.

I can guarantee that you have traces of who you've been in your current account. Deny it all you want, it's there.

EDIT: Come to think of it, you have yet to answer a single question. You wont provide your API, you wont give us your reasoning, you wont tell why you are so hellbent into joining a corporation rather than starting your own.....Man, I don't think anyone who is somebody will be interested in you.

ITTigerClawIK
Galactic Rangers
#136 - 2014-05-13 17:38:52 UTC
API's are not JUST to root out spies and AWOXers but they are often used in alliance wide tools that not only benefit the aliance execs but also you as well.
Marsha Mallow
#137 - 2014-05-13 17:59:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Marsha Mallow
Erufen Rito wrote:
Uh, well I did ask a simple question, and you have refused to answer it. So maybe I am a bit out there. What of it?

You say trust is earned, and it goes both ways, but you won't hand out your API. I like how you completly ignored the scenarios I drew for you as well as your social media parallel.

By now, it sounds like you are just trolling, and are continuing this "discussion" for the sake of stroking your ego.

I can guarantee that you have traces of who you've been in your current account. Deny it all you want, it's there.

EDIT: Come to think of it, you have yet to answer a single question. You wont provide your API, you wont give us your reasoning, you wont tell why you are so hellbent into joining a corporation rather than starting your own.....Man, I don't think anyone who is somebody will be interested in you.

Erufen I don't think the person you are addressing is the OP. He's not made any remarks suggesting he's 'hellbent on joining a corp' and whining about API requirements, he just remarked he finds persistent Full API monitoring invasive.

Which isn't that rare a sentiment across the game, particularly for those who have been in tight knit corps for a long time where trust is earned and is reciprocal. How many corps produce any financial reporting to show what corp income is actually spent on? Corps and alliances demand time, commitment and the ability to keep tabs on their members but they don't always repay that fairly. Plenty of corps exist simply to leech off members and get grunts in fleet.

Granted, I can see the need for WH corps to monitor assets because of the risk of theft, and for Supercap heavy alliances/sovholders who are vulnerable to spies to monitor members in various ways. There are a hell of a lot of corps adopting the practice as standard though who simply don't need to, partly because of flaws with corp management, but I suspect equally because they are just **** corps with leaders who are bad at man management.

There's a simpler way to create barriers for entry for spies and awoxers which is to permenantly close recruitment. Or use training corps. That has been the way well established corps have operated for years, but because of supercap proliferation they are forced to shift policies, and I'm not entirely sure it's a good thing overall from a community point of view. Using a recruitment system based on recommendation/vouch works well in some ways, and ensures people join corps where they already have friends. Taken to extremes if the new member misbehaves, the recommendee is kicked too. Relying purely on API monitoring corrupts that practice, and you end up with corps stuffed full of strangers who may well detest each other.

Either way it's a matter of perspective and there's no point arguing in circles given the OP already stated he's a former spy running into self-erected barriers he's not smart enough to think a way around.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Vivec Septim
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#138 - 2014-05-13 18:04:22 UTC
I definitely see the desire for corporation security in the use of an API but often
skilled spies have a multitude of alts on various accounts to circumvent these
normal measures.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. 

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#139 - 2014-05-13 19:19:58 UTC
Vivec Septim wrote:
I definitely see the desire for corporation security in the use of an API but often
skilled spies have a multitude of alts on various accounts to circumvent these
normal measures.

true, but just because it's obsolete doesn't mean it's useless.

I mean, you still use a doorlock and carry around your house keys, don't you?

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Miichael Epic
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#140 - 2014-05-13 19:26:00 UTC
Anyone asking me for my API key, gets told to eff off.

I'd rather be a loner and struggle and get by on my own merit than turn over my backdoor to some scrub looking to be a douchenozzle.