These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Has it always been this bad?

Author
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#21 - 2014-05-09 04:23:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
SCV'Argos wrote:

They just manipulate peoples with fear (to suppress) and hatred (to make countries fight each other). Also they keep average education at a maximally low level to prevent people from ability to analize the flow of seemingly not connected events.
Btw, there IS actually some warming in the present day climate, but I've read somewhere that it's a pre-iceage warming - and I think it's the truth. But nobody's gonna give a damn about what is coming in the next several hundred thousand years, so they invented all this crap about coming "catastrophes" - as a source of fear.
Not just here, but all the planets are warming up a little. Seasons change and climates shift, natural process, even effects from our solar system factor in. But that is not what this is, not what they are teaching. I'm GenX, they tried to pass this very same BS on us, but they started in on us too late I guess, and the mind-blowing video wizardry wasn't so good back then, not so believable. But now they got the kids scared out of their wits, and I see it as an old lie with no other purpose but to control people, to get them used to being conditioned early in life and eyes off the slight of hand in play. BTW, did ol Al Gore get his boat unstuck out of the polar ice when he went to the Antarctic sea this last season? Icebreakers couldn't get it out, I can only imagine that it eventually got crushed like a beer can.
Boat + a lot of ice = crushed beer can and glug-glug to the bottom.
Now that's science! Big smile

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2014-05-09 04:24:37 UTC
The world's fine. Humanity will probably muddle through like we always do. Yes, we'll probably mess a bunch of things up, but we'll probably find a way to fix it or deal with it.

All of the access to news at our fingertips makes it very easy to take a grim view... Not to mention that news outlets have known for a very long time that sensationalism sells.

Go outside... Take in some sun, listen to the birds sing (assuming there are birds & sun where you are), and you'll feel better.
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#23 - 2014-05-09 04:42:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
Cassandra Aurilien wrote:
All of the access to news at our fingertips makes it very easy to take a grim view... Not to mention that news outlets have known for a very long time that sensationalism sells.
Just wait til we lose control of the internet, it becomes regulated by some backwards fairness doctrine, and alternative news sites are denied access.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#24 - 2014-05-09 08:22:23 UTC
Doreen Kaundur wrote:
My question is: has it always been this way?

Yes.

Sex and bad news have always been humanity's greatest marketable commodities.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Solecist Project's Alt
Doomheim
#25 - 2014-05-09 08:29:42 UTC
Don't worry, it can't keep getting worse forever.

Eventually, everything errupts into complete chaos
and then it'll all calm down again. :)

No idea how many will survive this, though. lol

Great reallife lesson about entropy ...
Marcus Gord
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#26 - 2014-05-09 11:08:16 UTC
@OP, glad it's not just me who thinks about this stuff.

As for the future, well, civilisations rise and fall....

Our fall should be rather spectacular, I just don't think I want to be around for when it happens.

In a few moments you will have an experience that will seem completely real. It will be the result of your subconscious fears transformed to your conscious awareness.

http://i.imgur.com/LM2NKUf.png

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-05-09 11:17:19 UTC
Solecist Project's Alt wrote:

I hate entropy. Stagnation leads to death in the end.

Still tho, too much chaos is also bad, so we need to keep juggling ourselves between these two states.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#28 - 2014-05-09 16:53:20 UTC
"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents and everyone is writing a book." - Cicero, circa 43

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

SCV'Argos
TheMurk
#29 - 2014-05-09 22:35:45 UTC  |  Edited by: SCV'Argos
Marcus Gord wrote:

Our fall should be rather spectacular, I just don't think I want to be around for when it happens.

Having such military technologies, falling (selfdestruction) of our civilization not only can erase us as species but also in the maximally bad case wipe the entire biosphere leaving the Earth a scorched desert.
So we can't afford falling.

Though, we still have control in terms of predictability, so we can suppress all destructive tendencies; if we make effort the right way to turn the "tailless monkeys" into real humans, that is.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#30 - 2014-05-09 22:49:13 UTC
its a mixed bag. We humans have always been this way. The biggest factors though is a) tv, which allows news to be sent faster then newspapers used to. b) the internet which makes information near instantaneous, c) Corp controlling tv, and news, which has made news go from 'keeping you informed' to more of a 'what sells the most papers or ads on tv' d) sex and violence sells, e) 24/7 "news" channels

Now a lot of these has made things like fact checking, verifying and following up an after thought. It used to be if say there was a bank robbery, reports would gather all the info, verify it, write a story, pass it tot he editor who would verify it again, and then print it, this would take several days, and if the story was father away i.e. California to Washington dc, it could take weeks. They would also make sure everything was as correct as possible because they would lose valuable space redacting or changing a story.

When making and delivering a paper got cheaper, the need to verify reduced some, as it did not matter if tomorrow the story was changed, it was cheap to do. Then when the TV came, you could show pictures, so news rooms wanted to get you the images as soon as possible. When the 24/7 news came about, they just flood you with everything as fast as possible, without checking. Then with the internet, they can gobble up any tidbit, and people want it NOW NOW NOW! They don't give or allow time for investigation to get the real full story, they just want it now. Add in talking heads who 'spin' left or right and ignore facts and you have the craziness we have today.

An example, I lived in so cal, and when there was a car chase on tv, EVERYONE stopped what they were doing and watched it. I mean EVERYONE. This stuff is what people like.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

SCV'Argos
TheMurk
#31 - 2014-05-10 10:48:31 UTC  |  Edited by: SCV'Argos
DaReaper wrote:
its a mixed bag. We humans have always been this way.

Maybe. But if you mean that it's a human characteristic, I disagree. It's just the historically built culture - hypothetically speaking, maybe even purposely - and it can (and must) be changed to survive. Our current state of civilizational culture makes it very difficult to reach the stars working in collaboration, also we're not morally ready to meet interstellar civilizations. And we're getting closer to selfdestruction or at the very least to a prolonged global crisis.

I also disagree about news "needed faster": demand for fast news is a factor for sure, but more importantly, news agencies just understood that they don't really need to tell the truth - they just need to tell something relatively believable; also don't forget that >95% of them are politically biassed and/or influenced. Any information they're giving must be analized and filtered with maximum scepticism.

p.s.
tl;dr: being stupid assholes is not a human characteristic, it's just a long living "tradition" which can and must be changed.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#32 - 2014-05-10 12:44:30 UTC
Afghanistan 1970...and 2010

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#33 - 2014-05-10 13:26:11 UTC
DaReaper wrote:

Now a lot of these has made things like fact checking, verifying and following up an after thought. It used to be if say there was a bank robbery, reports would gather all the info, verify it, write a story, pass it tot he editor who would verify it again, and then print it, this would take several days, and if the story was father away i.e. California to Washington dc, it could take weeks. They would also make sure everything was as correct as possible because they would lose valuable space redacting or changing a story.

The do seem to jump the gun a lot with news stories, but then the way some things are described is so "careful" it's like reading a joke. It's a dance against lawsuits in the future for mis-reporting.

Take the "burning hot air baloon story" today. This thing's basket caught on fire after take-off, with the pilot and 2 passengers screaming for help from the people below. One body fell out flaming to the ground (may have jumped...but too late). The articles say that "the other 2 are allegedly missing".

Yup. "allegedly". Ugh.

jason hill
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-05-10 13:36:54 UTC  |  Edited by: jason hill
it seems to me like the more technologically advanced we get ..the more backward we seem go ... now that might sound a little odd and it even does to me .. but if you look through history I think you will see what I mean Greece ...rome .... and other great civilisations appear to reach a peak ....then overnight ..they just disappear as they turn in on them selves

krixxy`s picture of Afghanistan sort of proves my point to a certain extent .... we just never seem to learn from our preedecessers mistakes .. were doomed to repeat them ...I think its a human trait

and to cite classic modern day case I`ll give the current situation that's going on in Nigeria as an example of what im rather badly attempting to say as others could more eloquently put the case
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2014-05-10 13:56:21 UTC
Solecist Project's Alt wrote:

Whatever you say, R'as.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#36 - 2014-05-10 14:14:40 UTC
jason hill wrote:

and to cite classic modern day case I`ll give the current situation that's going on in Nigeria as an example of what im rather badly attempting to say as others could more eloquently put the case

To us it certainly seems as if they are repeating history, and repeating it back to it's most barbaric presentation.

But the perpetrators themselves, in Afghanistan, Nigeria, Myanmar..........they are not repeating history, at least to their knowledge. Most are uneducated, and unaware of history at all.

Uneducated. Maybe that's the problem............

SCV'Argos
TheMurk
#37 - 2014-05-11 09:00:03 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

Uneducated. Maybe that's the problem............

Education is a wrong word in this case. Ignorance is the right term, because even well educated people are often ignorant (but education can help, yes).
Because knowledge is just a collection of words and numbers. Understanding is what really matters. So some "savages" like afghanish people (or whoever else) can be - surprisingly - less ignorant than a "civilized" prestigeous colledge graduate.

Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

The do seem to jump the gun a lot with news stories, but then the way some things are described is so "careful" it's like reading a joke. It's a dance against lawsuits in the future for mis-reporting.

Bad example. Some local personal events don't matter much for this discussion (we're talking about global social problems, aren't we?). If there is news about something socially or even globally significant - there will be lies in the news about it. Not 100% lies, of course, because the best lie comes interlaced with truth.

jason hill wrote:
it seems to me like the more technologically advanced we get ..the more backward we seem go ... now that might sound a little odd and it even does to me .. but if you look through history I think you will see what I mean Greece ...rome .... and other great civilisations appear to reach a peak ....then overnight ..they just disappear as they turn in on them selves

You may think I'm a paranoic but I see the hand of some "puppet master" manipulating social and political tendenies in most regions along all our known history. Not "ZOG" no, lol, some much more sophisticated people.
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#38 - 2014-05-11 09:11:45 UTC
SCV'Argos wrote:
You may think I'm a paranoic but I see the hand of some "puppet master" manipulating social and political tendenies in most regions along all our known history. Not "ZOG" no, lol, some much more sophisticated people.

Or that depravity tends to gravitate in the same general direction.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#39 - 2014-05-11 11:29:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Highly Relevant.

Steven Pinker says no and that things have been getting better over the last 100 years. I will agree with his assessment and his belief that at any second it could sweep completely in the opposite direction with littlle to no notice.

Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
This is actually the most peaceful time in human history as far as we know. It seems a lot worse because we are hard wired to remember the bad things over good things.

Mr. Pinker and I agree.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2014-05-11 13:03:06 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
Highly Relevant.

Steven Pinker says no and that things have been getting better over the last 100 years. I will agree with his assessment and his belief that at any second it could sweep completely in the opposite direction with littlle to no notice.

Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
This is actually the most peaceful time in human history as far as we know. It seems a lot worse because we are hard wired to remember the bad things over good things.

Mr. Pinker and I agree.

slade here has a point, altho I'm more on the "still the same, just more exposition" side.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right