These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Are we still the minority?

Author
Ninavask
Alexylva Paradox
#21 - 2012-01-31 20:04:06 UTC
To say we aren't a minority implies there are more of us then non-capsuleers. Which is simply not true. It's irrelevant whether we hold more control then non-capsuleers, or influence politics more. In sheer numbers we are a severe minority. Maybe 100,000 to 100 trillion or more?

Dr. Ninavask Revan

Colonist

Alexylva Paradox

The views above are the opinions and beliefs of Dr. Ninavask and do in no way reflect on his employeers or associates at the time of posting.

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#22 - 2012-02-02 02:26:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarryn Nightstorm
Callista Nueva wrote:
I can agree towards us all being a minority, look at all these 'great' alliance's and corporations, they achieve but thats thanks to large collections of capsuleer's, Demi-Gods, 'Immortals' whom are truthfully only immortal thanks to the assistance of other perhaps 'ordinary' human's, who must be behind all the physical work, such as machinery to take what we place in our hangar's and such, but .. what if, we 'immortal's are really a stepping stone? As you mentioned augmentation, what if someone .. designed something better than us, something that can out perform us, possibly outlive gunfire or something..

What if we are simply tossed aside, or shut down, in replacement for a demi-god V1.2 or something which could outperform us in all kinds of ways, such as being capable to have weaponry on thier ship hit area's on your own ship which would possibly cause 200% more damage than we can even perform.

What if .. the ships we use are the ships that are only known to us as the companies have refused to give us intel or even conformation of newer, or possibly older ships that could take on possibly (if im not thinking too much) a titan or something and its essentially the class of like a battlecruiser.

I'd say we are a minority, until we are a majority of disposed corpse's, only to be replaced by 'greater' Demi-God's or possibly mortal's that can outperform us easily, what if mortal un-augmentated humans could out-perform us?
What would happen to us? be disposed? have to flee out of fear of being shut down? or is there secretly a massive kill-switch connected to EVERY Demi-God alive in EVE, would we realise if we are being replaced to have a chance to fight back, or would we just have that feeling of what mortals call 'death' without the strangely peculiar feeling of awakening in a new body .. ?

^^This.

I said it before a while back, but...we are tools, optimised for a purpose, no more, no less. Everything we are, and can do, is an artefact of that optimisation...And in my more cynical moments (even for meBlink), I wonder when version 1.10 of that tool is going to hit the shelves?

E: Remember, quasi-immortal, not fully-immortal:

All it would take, potentially, would be one clone-vat tech coming to work on Monday with a case of....aaaahhh...post-weekend flu...and that could be it for our "demi-divinity."

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Vetr Saken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-02-02 08:35:05 UTC
Aphoxema G wrote:
How much of an impact have we really made?

Where would New Eden be without us?

You’ve made casual reference to the fact the capsuleers have been responsible for genocide and crimes against humanity, and you’re right: we’ve destroyed or irreparably damaged the lives of millions of people; often for no more reason than that they were in our way, or even sometimes because we thought it would be funny. Perhaps this is the price that human society must pay for choosing to grant a group of people immeasurable power and entirely release them from consequence.

No matter how objective we might try to be, our assessment of our impact will always be at least somewhat biased. Those enslaved by us, tortured and tormented by us, financially broken by us, or left bereft of loved ones by us, will no doubt say that the capsuleer is a force for unmitigated evil. Those employed by us, transported by us, made wealthy by us or granted power by us will no doubt consider us... useful. You make a number of suggestions as to why people should truly appreciate and be thankful for us – but I'm not sure how easy it would be to find even one such person.

I believe capsuleers will be similarly divided. We vary widely in skill and aptitude and in personality. Ask one capsuleer whether we have made the world better, and he will gleefully reply in the affirmative as he tears up yet another slow-moving hauler, smashes the pilot’s pod and makes off with the loot, and with his victim's appeals for mercy ringing in his ears. Another might offer a resounding ‘no’ as she once again undertakes the duty of contacting a hundred families with the news that will devastate them, and then endures their lifelong hatred for her unjust, cowardly survival.

Perhaps there was once a time when humanity perceived some semblance of a common morality, and questions like “have we improved matters” could have been answered objectively. I don’t think we live in that time any longer. Now, we simply exist.
Previous page12