These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Will Valkyrie kill EVE?

Author
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#41 - 2014-04-18 18:22:54 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
Will Valkyrie kill EVE?

No.

/thread

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#42 - 2014-04-18 18:29:39 UTC
Given that usual CCP m.o is to give us less than whats advertised *cough*planetaryinteration*cough*, *cough*walkinginstations*cough*, I wouldn't be taking any bets on Valkyrie having more than what has been advertised.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#43 - 2014-04-18 18:37:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
Aralyn Cormallen wrote:
Given that usual CCP m.o is to give us less than whats advertised *cough*planetaryinteration*cough*, *cough*walkinginstations*cough*, I wouldn't be taking any bets on Valkyrie having more than what has been advertised.

I don't think we know enough about it yet to say what is advertised. We don't know a whole lot about it... other than it looks really awesome.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Dorian Tormak
RBON United
#44 - 2014-04-18 18:43:29 UTC
Gogela wrote:
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
Will Valkyrie kill EVE?

No.

/thread

This, and also when I search for Valkyrie nothing really comes up and when I search "Valkyrie space game" still nothing really comes up so this game is **** and not even comparable to Eve. Eve's been around for like over ten years, honestly any thread that says, implies or insinuates in any way that another game could possibly kill Eve, that's either just a stupid troll thread, or just a stupid thread.

Eve may die eventually, and it won't be because some other space game came out and stole the thunder.

Holy Satanic Christ! This is a Goddamn Signature!

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#45 - 2014-04-18 18:58:04 UTC
Garia666 wrote:
Shederov Blood wrote:
Not if Star Citizen kills it first!

This,

EVE has been on the top of space MMO for the last 11 years.
Star Citizen will take allot of members out of EVE

No to derail this thread, but I need to address this with... Whatever you are smoking, please pass it.

That other game is nothing like eve, if you honestly think it will do more then effect the subscription base for a short period of time, then you really are smoking something.

As this pertains to valk, i'll do a quick comparison from what I understand, SC is heavily instanced. Meaning your odds of seeing someone that you wan tto kill are greatly reduced. It will be sharded, so multiple servers. Its not really an mmo. Lots of things sound good, but it is honestly nothing at all like eve.

Valk nor SC will kill eve. SC could help improve both valk and eve, but kill it? I doubt that.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

BrundleMeth
State War Academy
Caldari State
#46 - 2014-04-18 19:16:55 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
Forum Clone 77777 wrote:
Isnt valkyrie just a sort of FPS or FPSSS (First Person SpaceShip Shooter) game?
How is this in any way comparable to EVE?

That is how it's being advertised, but I suspect it will be much bigger than that.

Suspect? Means you don't have a clue...

It will likely fail miserably...
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#47 - 2014-04-18 19:24:00 UTC
Yes, Eve is doomed. Dooooooooooomed I say.

Contract all of your belongings to PotatoOverdose on your way out. Please and thank you.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#48 - 2014-04-18 19:42:21 UTC
Quote:
Will Valkyrie kill EVE?

90% of EVE players are so afraid of twitch that they've actually disabled their WASD keys with bubble gum and duct tape.

Valkyrie will not kill EVE. It will be a whole different player demographic.

Mr Epeen Cool
masternerdguy
Doomheim
#49 - 2014-04-18 19:59:40 UTC
Garia666 wrote:
Shederov Blood wrote:

This,

SC is going nowhere. EVE will leave it in the dust, and here's why.

• SC is on Cryengine which is a fascinating choice considering that it is designed for jungle island maps. It will not easily support astronomical scales.
  • SC has been in development for a while now with millions in funding and has only delivered a trophy room and hanger. Modding attempts have demonstrated that the underlying code to make the ships do things like even fly is often missing.
  • SC multiplayer will undoubtedly be terrible, since Goonswarm federation is a design constraint: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=189920 so expect carebear island.
  • SC continues to put the emphasis on getting more backers which clearly indicates it is a glorified scam. I personally can't wait for the bubble to burst and the rage.

Trying to defeat EVE is like boxing a kangaroo, you are going to lose and be humiliated or worse in the process.

As for Valkyrie, it isn't the same kind of game as EVE. It began with the idea of putting you in the cockpit of a fighter drone (since the capital sized drones do have pilots, apparently, which you can see if you zoom in on them) allowing for awesome space dogfights (which real fighter drones never participate in) .

And, as for EVE, well this game is pretty much perfect. The polarizing drama, the rich and vibrant community, and the current political state prove that. If EVE was a terrible game that nobody cared about, these things would not exist.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#50 - 2014-04-18 20:15:32 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
Garia666 wrote:
Shederov Blood wrote:

This,

SC is going nowhere. EVE will leave it in the dust, and here's why.

• SC is on Cryengine which is a fascinating choice considering that it is designed for jungle island maps. It will not easily support astronomical scales.
  • SC has been in development for a while now with millions in funding and has only delivered a trophy room and hanger. Modding attempts have demonstrated that the underlying code to make the ships do things like even fly is often missing.
  • SC multiplayer will undoubtedly be terrible, since Goonswarm federation is a design constraint: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=189920 so expect carebear island.
  • SC continues to put the emphasis on getting more backers which clearly indicates it is a glorified scam. I personally can't wait for the bubble to burst and the rage.

Trying to defeat EVE is like boxing a kangaroo, you are going to lose and be humiliated or worse in the process.

As for Valkyrie, it isn't the same kind of game as EVE. It began with the idea of putting you in the cockpit of a fighter drone (since the capital sized drones do have pilots, apparently, which you can see if you zoom in on them) allowing for awesome space dogfights (which real fighter drones never participate in) .

And, as for EVE, well this game is pretty much perfect. The polarizing drama, the rich and vibrant community, and the current political state prove that. If EVE was a terrible game that nobody cared about, these things would not exist.

This, anyone who knows anything about eve knows it has zero to fear from SC. Esp cause you can't loot in SC. *rolls his eyes*

Valk will b a complement to eve, eventually. I think ti will be a stand alone for a while though

Eve For life.

Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#51 - 2014-04-18 20:18:25 UTC
Valkyrie will be a game that requires skill and ability to aim and be successful. Skill does not appeal to the EvE player base, so a game based on it will not pull the EvE player base away.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2014-04-18 20:21:50 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:

• this thing makes SC incredible from start.

can we import it into Eve? Cool

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Doireen Kaundur
    Doomheim
    #53 - 2014-04-18 20:37:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Doireen Kaundur
    Garia666 wrote:
    Shederov Blood wrote:

This,

Actually EVE has been the only spaced based MMO in these respects:

-sandbox play
    -one shard universe
    -functioning in game economy with an economist at the helm.
    -not a franchise hack (Starwars/StarTrek..so on)

So the reality is that EVE has had a monopoly which may explain its long life. 10+ years

With other spaced based games on the horizon, CCP may see some real competition for once. Which may explain also why the plug was pulled on WOD. If you run the risk of losing your base EVE players, why cater to the emo-vamipire crowd?

I dont have all the facts on SC, but if it incorporates any of the above, CCP will not be able to rest on its laurels much longer and some serious content will have to be produced to retain the EVE player.

_[center]For your Freighter **sized shipping needs, contact _[u]Lord Chanlin[/u].** _ Fast, affordable, reliable service._

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Lord%20Chanlin[/center]

masternerdguy
    Doomheim
    #54 - 2014-04-18 20:45:10 UTC
    Divine Entervention wrote:
    Valkyrie will be a game that requires skill and ability to aim and be successful. Skill does not appeal to the EvE player base, so a game based on it will not pull the EvE player base away.

So you are going to go with the "mash straff buttons while holding down the trigger" definition of skill?

Doireen Kaundur wrote:
    Garia666 wrote:
    Shederov Blood wrote:

This,

-sandbox play
    -one shard universe

So the reality is that EVE has had a monopoly which may explain its long life. 10+ years

With other spaced based games on the horizon, CCP may see some real competition for once. Which may explain also why the plug was pulled on WOD. If you run the risk of losing your base EVE players, why cater to the emo-vamipire crowd?

I dont have all the facts on SC, but if it incorporates any of the above, CCP will not be able to rest on its laurels much longer and some serious content will have to be produced to retain the EVE player.

Besides your One True Scottsman style of arguing EVE has a monopoly, there are some issues with this post.

Specifically, your idea that content needs to be produced. You see, in EVE, players provide the content. The politics, the drama, the stories, they are player driven. EVE is wildly successful (yes, it really is) because of this.

This was also a good decision on CCP's part because players will interact and produce more content than they could ever imagine. This means they can spend resources on maintaining the game, and working on long lasting new tools for the sandbox instead of on adding new dungeons and epic loots.

EVE is a great example of simple being less is more. CCP adds relatively little new content, and mainly plays referee by re-balancing things when the game starts to stagnate. It is up to the players to give the sandbox meaning, not CCP.

However, as you have pointed out, less advanced MMO companies have a different development strategy: http://youtu.be/zFVwUBgqrAc?t=1m19s

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Tear Jar
    New Order Logistics
    CODE.
    #55 - 2014-04-18 20:58:34 UTC
    Doireen Kaundur wrote:
    If Valkyie is a big hit (which i suspect it will be), will it kill EVE?

Or is the longterm plan to make Valkyrie, EVE 2.0?

If all the sandbox elements of EVE are transferred to Valk, it may.

Your thoughts?

I think it will kill Eve in the same way Dust and WoD are, but wasting resources that could improve their one good game.
    PotatoOverdose
    School of Applied Knowledge
    Caldari State
    #56 - 2014-04-18 21:00:10 UTC
    Doireen Kaundur wrote:
    Garia666 wrote:
    Shederov Blood wrote:

This,

-sandbox play
    -one shard universe

You know I might agree with this if SC didn't amount to just vaporware. But here are the facts, as they stand:

-Star Citizen has been in development for three years.
    -The developers of SC have fleeced their customer base to the tune of $40 million+.
    -All they have to show for it are buggy tech demos.
    -These tech demos end with "I'm sorry, it was working a lot better 12 hours ago." and "Let's have some drinks or something."

Three years, 40 million dollars, and they don't even have the basic core gameplay in a functional state? What have they been doing the entire time, snorting recreational substances off a stripper's posterior?
    Doireen Kaundur
    Doomheim
    #57 - 2014-04-18 21:04:43 UTC
    PotatoOverdose wrote:

Three years, 40 million dollars, and they don't even have the basic core gameplay in a functional state? What have they been doing the entire time, snorting recreational substances off a stripper's posterior?

good point

_[center]For your Freighter **sized shipping needs, contact _[u]Lord Chanlin[/u].** _ Fast, affordable, reliable service._

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Lord%20Chanlin[/center]

DaReaper
    Net 7
    Cannon.Fodder
    #58 - 2014-04-18 21:22:31 UTC
    Doireen Kaundur wrote:
    [quote=Garia666][quote=Shederov Blood]

-sandbox play
    -one shard universe

SC is not a sandbox. From what I have looked it, it has restrictive play, its not open. The world is not even open, its instantanced and change based. I.E. if I go to planet a there is a chance I will meet player c or an npc.

SC is not a single server. Its sharded. You can also have your own server and puts mods on it, so they say, this may appeal to some.

SC is NOT an open economy, its NPC based. NPC supples the demand, and you use NPC nodes to make crap for the NPC's.

SC IS not a franchine hack.

SC is more like WoW then EvE tbh

Eve For life.

Zeera Tomb-Raider
    Vega Farscape
    #59 - 2014-04-18 21:30:19 UTC
    Solecist Project wrote:
    I'm the only one here looking forward to the first ever virtual reality spaceshooter?

Just drop the crap for once.

Who didn't want exactly that?

I regret is that I didn't buy a devkit in time.

tru pvp dont apeal to eve players calling them self pvp pilots !!!!
    Ranger 1
    Ranger Corp
    Vae. Victis.
    #60 - 2014-04-18 21:38:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
    Zeera Tomb-Raider wrote:
    Solecist Project wrote:
    I'm the only one here looking forward to the first ever virtual reality spaceshooter?

Just drop the crap for once.

Who didn't want exactly that?

I regret is that I didn't buy a devkit in time.

tru pvp dont apeal to eve players calling them self pvp pilots !!!!

If you think that "tru pvp" consists of artifically balanced and completely equal foes going up against one another in pre arranged honor duels for cute little prizes... well... there are plenty of other games out there that will appeal to you.

However in this neck of the woods we prefer to rely on our own wits, and use all of the tools and every possible advantage available to further our own agenda.

All we ask is that the same tool set be available to everyone. That way our victories, and our defeats, actually mean something... and the guy derping around AFK in a poorly fit ship dies because he needlessly put HIMSELF in that foolish position.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.