These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Interceptor fleet are not fun at all

Author
your duderness
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#141 - 2014-04-19 17:00:41 UTC
I just ca across this. It seems to exactly voice out the worries of the OP.
uppo nalle
Finnish Legion
#142 - 2014-04-19 23:13:20 UTC
Was a pleasant surprise on todays intyroam to deklein to find that atleast part of CFC has figured out ways to make our job more difficult. The 11 lost ceptors in 2 consecutive fights 3 jumps apart is currently the single largest batch of lost ceptors since the launch of Operation: GoonsFarm. Even if the end result in each fight tipped into our favor, in the first engagement thanks to a lucky coincidence in the form of a XdeathX nadogang that happened to jump into system shortly after 2 archons being tackled. And in the second fight due to the CFC responsegang surprisingly warping off the field even if they had the upper hand after rescuing a tackled thanatos and leaving us to even the score by killing stragglers.

This in my opinion goes to prove that with a bit of work, cunning and luck you can beat the <2s align ceptors even if it is not at the heavily bubbled instalocker gatecamped gate. Also in my (i guess unpopular) opinion as a frequent logistics pilot your successes are not measured in the heaps of kills on your killboard, but from the lack of kills on theirs. (Atleast in part :D) So instead of being upset over not getting kills you could just aswell be glad over the juicy kill you just denied us instead.

See you out there fellow pilots, wichever end of the gun it may be

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=256081&find=unread

Spurty
#143 - 2014-04-20 20:10:10 UTC
Insert *SAD TROMBONE* Gif

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Taint Stain
Doomheim
#144 - 2014-04-23 23:49:18 UTC
The theory of buffing interceptors was to make them useful as an interceptor, not for 2 distinct ships to become the roaming ship of destiny because they engage and point outside of standard ranges of countermeasures.

First it was the insta-warping thing. Now its theres 30 of them thing. The common problem is the missile platform which gives them a 40km or 60km engagement range while doing ~100 dps each. The current iteration of crows reminds me of the drakes of old, and not in a good way. Maledictions being used as the blob ship of choice for nullsec roaming as nothing can catch / counter them unless they allow it, aside from maybe some crazy discoing on a gate, but that can be evaded by a staggered warpoff.

Light missiles compared to other small weapon systems are entirely out of line with range and damage, which is why these interceptors are overused compared to others.

Theorys of balance In order of preference
1) remove the missiles from these ships immediately, restore their inertia, and re-roll them to turreted inteceptors inline with other interceptors.

2) further nerf the hulls stats to attempt to balance them.

3) remove the interdiction nullification from the crow and malediction, this is a bit harsh and basically removes them from the interceptor class.

4) Nerf light missiles? a bit overharsh considering few other light missile platforms see overuse.

Everything in eve should be reasonably counterable. While its possible to counter these things is usually hard to kill them cause they know when they're being countered then they just run away, because they're engaging at 40km and good luck holding them.
Dynamiittiukko
Fistful of Finns
#145 - 2014-04-24 10:50:57 UTC
Taint Stain wrote:
Everything in eve should be reasonably counterable. While its possible to counter these things is usually hard to kill them cause they know when they're being countered then they just run away, because they're engaging at 40km and good luck holding them.

Pretty much everything in Eve is reasonably counterable. For countering instalock bubblecamps in SOV space there's the interceptors.

.d
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#146 - 2014-04-24 11:06:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Taint Stain wrote:

Well, I must say we yesterday had a nice CFC ceptor fleet against our battle-shaken AHAC fleet and we moped the field with every ceptor that came within locking range. I call this a reasonable counter. What about you? Roll

What's more; I took mischievous pleasure in murdering them. So my point is proven again: Ceptor fleets mean a lot of fun. Twisted

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Aimel
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#147 - 2014-04-24 12:10:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Aimel
Taint Stain wrote:
The theory of buffing interceptors was to make them useful as an interceptor, not for 2 distinct ships to become the roaming ship of destiny because they engage and point outside of standard ranges of countermeasures.

First it was the insta-warping thing. Now its theres 30 of them thing. The common problem is the missile platform which gives them a 40km or 60km engagement range while doing ~100 dps each. The current iteration of crows reminds me of the drakes of old, and not in a good way. Maledictions being used as the blob ship of choice for nullsec roaming as nothing can catch / counter them unless they allow it, aside from maybe some crazy discoing on a gate, but that can be evaded by a staggered warpoff.

Light missiles compared to other small weapon systems are entirely out of line with range and damage, which is why these interceptors are overused compared to others.

1) remove the missiles from these ships immediately, restore their inertia, and re-roll them to turreted inteceptors inline with other interceptors.

3) remove the interdiction nullification from the crow and malediction, this is a bit harsh and basically removes them from the interceptor class.

4) Nerf light missiles? a bit overharsh considering few other light missile platforms see overuse.

railgun ares fleet can do the same thing tbh
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#148 - 2014-04-24 12:28:56 UTC
your duderness wrote:
I just ca across this. It seems to exactly voice out the worries of the OP.

bookmarked for future reference when dealing with the special snowflakes like her.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Amarant'h
Council of Exiles
Brave Collective
#149 - 2014-04-24 14:47:18 UTC
Solve, remove all missiles and guns. Keep only smartbombs, one type. Make only one ship class, and allow no alts.

I think the next thing to whine is 'we want more options'.

Guys, if you lose ratting ships to roaming gangs, its because you're lazy, not reading intel, or just plain idiots.
If you're losing counter fleets to inty gangs, you're just stupid.

Pick one.
Taint Stain
Doomheim
#150 - 2014-04-24 17:56:26 UTC
Aimel wrote:
Taint Stain wrote:

railgun ares fleet can do the same thing tbh

At 3/4 the range, half the DPS, and without the ability to select damage types, yes the railgun ares fleet can do the same thing.
michael chasseur
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#151 - 2014-04-24 22:38:08 UTC  |  Edited by: michael chasseur
interceptor fleets are easily countered, just not in the stuff you've been dying to them in:
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=22593064 http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=22953079

maybe if you ratted less and PvP'd more, you'd know that
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#152 - 2014-04-25 01:45:55 UTC
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
I am concern about the fact there is only interceptors because of their impunity.

No more assault fregates, no more cruisers, not even these shiny electronic frigates.
Not because these ship are not good. But because the Interceptors are OP.

I agree entirely. AFs and EAFs should also be interdiction nullified.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Cardano Firesnake
Fire Bullet Inc
#153 - 2014-04-25 07:40:11 UTC
Zappity wrote:
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
I am concern about the fact there is only interceptors because of their impunity.

No more assault fregates, no more cruisers, not even these shiny electronic frigates.
Not because these ship are not good. But because the Interceptors are OP.

I agree entirely. AFs and EAFs should also be interdiction nullified.

It is an option, but What about the BC that we nearly don't see anymore?

Posted - 2010.07.01 11:24:00 - [4] Erase learning skills, remap all SP. That's all.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#154 - 2014-04-25 07:44:40 UTC
You don't see them anymore because they are pointless against blobs. Roll Too slow, too flimsy, easily nuked of the field. I'm sure, the Myrm pilot from the recent Aubenal fight can confirm that. Twisted

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Cardano Firesnake
Fire Bullet Inc
#155 - 2014-04-25 07:56:25 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
You don't see them anymore because they are pointless against blobs. Roll Too slow, too flimsy, easily nuked of the field. I'm sure, the Myrm pilot from the recent Aubenal fight can confirm that. Twisted

Yes I love BCs but I don't see what to do with now. Slow and witout enough range and without enough tank...
It is sad.

Posted - 2010.07.01 11:24:00 - [4] Erase learning skills, remap all SP. That's all.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#156 - 2014-04-25 08:07:33 UTC
Well, you can still try. Some of my guys like to fly around in Cyclones, but as soon as you have done enough kills (1 or 2 Roll) in a "busier" area, you can be sure to have a big group on your toes. Too many people in EVE are just too desperate to get a least some kills, so that solo or small scale in bigger ships than Cruisers is hard (which is good to a certain extent) to near impossible.

Darth Kilth
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#157 - 2014-04-25 08:48:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Darth Kilth
Cardano Firesnake wrote:
Rivr Luzade wrote:

Yes I love BCs but I don't see what to do with now. Slow and witout enough range and without enough tank...
It is sad.

It's alsost like real life, were they discovered Battlecruisers were to slow to do anything a cruiser was good at but not armed/armored enough to be useful in fights with battleships.
The concept behind battlecruisers was quickly abandoned as a result.
Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#158 - 2014-04-25 09:07:27 UTC
Xe'Cara'eos wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OgtNJoP8E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6i-WTa-wOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCe4bvq84a8
and the best of the lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YDpd2ghz8 though this is an assault frig fleet - but a 'ceptor fleet would be even more fragile
but the point stands - you have something that you reel them in with - wait until they're in warp - light cyno - smart-bomb fleet jumps in - poppity poppity pop

Where's the video where you stop the inty gang with a bubble and bomb them to bits?

Oh wait, they're immune and will just go past the point.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#159 - 2014-04-25 09:19:48 UTC
Adrie Atticus wrote:
Xe'Cara'eos wrote:

*Video links and bomb plans*

Where's the video where you stop the inty gang with a bubble and bomb them to bits?

Oh wait, they're immune and will just go past the point.

Put your smart bomb BS (plural) on the other side of the gate spread around the 12 km sphere and light your show? Roll

Gawain Edmond
Khanid Bureau of Industry
#160 - 2014-04-25 10:56:19 UTC
it's a gang that's easily counted by a gang of the same make up of a larger size (as is the way of blob war) it's easily counted by any gang with recons and the whole lot dies to smart bombing i'm still not seeing the problem

oh and rlm cruiser gangs wipe the floor with them too can we stop this yet it's not like there is no counter people just don't like it because it lets people run around space quickly and makes fools of their cap ship blobs which are rendered useless