These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#1181 - 2014-04-23 03:13:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Alvatore DiMarco
I am ever-hopeful that CCP Rise will poke his proverbial head into the thread very very soon (within the next couple of days) and say "Great news! The pirate ship changes are in the next SiSi build which will be deploying tomorrow morning."

I feel like the thread has basically stopped and is now circling around and around - and will continue to do so until the changes can actually be tested.

By the way, if someone with a blue forum tag and database powers on SiSi is listening, can we have a covert cloaking Nestor for about a week just so everyone can see how it wouldn't actually make the ship better? Please? Well, I already know the answer to that, I guess.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1182 - 2014-04-23 03:15:02 UTC
stoneageman TOG wrote:
nobody seems to have noticed 1/4 of the rattlesnake cpu is gone..
Huh? I see 710tf currently on every resource I can find, same as the op. Are you making the mistake of comparing your bonused stats with the unbonused stats posted in the thread or are my sources wrong?
stoneageman TOG
security services
#1183 - 2014-04-23 03:47:08 UTC  |  Edited by: stoneageman TOG
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
stoneageman TOG wrote:
nobody seems to have noticed 1/4 of the rattlesnake cpu is gone..
Huh? I see 710tf currently on every resource I can find, same as the op. Are you making the mistake of comparing your bonused stats with the unbonused stats posted in the thread or are my sources wrong?

thank you for pointing that out to me.. was so pissed at losing 1/4 of my cpu.. I didn't check the stats on evemon..
Nerf Burger
Doomheim
#1184 - 2014-04-23 07:05:29 UTC
There seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding from the people who somehow think it is fine for the Rattlesnake to lose its bonus to light and medium drones.

Brawlers can quickly get overwhelmed as soon as a new wave of whatever comes in because they are usually in range on everything. The scrams and webs quickly go up and brawlers need those things that are scramming them to die quickly. With these proposed changes, the Rattlesnakes increased reliance on missiles creates significant vulnerabilities to e-war, and with weaker drones, this creates a significant weakness that the Rattlesnake never had before.

These are significant changes to the Rattlesnake and it should be no surprise that many people are very unhappy with them. The nerfs to the Rattlesnake seem even greater than the buffs when considering everything. It got the DPS it needed, albeit specialized, but the price it paid seems unnecessary. I don't see why this ship's role and battleship bonuses had to change at all. The current Snake doesn't seem like an unacceptable amount of overlap with Gallente when you consider how they are different. People trained for it because they like it. It was never considered OP. Why ruin their fun? The 400m3 drone bay was my reason. Now gone. Cry

The new Snake has too many weaknesses now to play as a brawler when you could be flying something else. There will be less vulnerable and higher real dps ships for every occasion.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1185 - 2014-04-23 07:28:40 UTC
Nerf Burger wrote:

The new Snake has too many weaknesses now to play as a brawler when you could be flying something else. There will be less vulnerable and higher real dps ships for every occasion.

And yet, brawler ships exist that don't have bonused drones. The majority of them in fact.

And they do just fine. You're talking about it like not having it is some crippling weakness that means no one would ever use a ship without bonused light drones.

And nearly the entire battleship lineup reveals that such a statement is an outright lie.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#1186 - 2014-04-23 08:26:59 UTC
The ship does get much better performance from half the missiles, but you will lose some of that by fitting launchers from lower weight classes, especially if you are concerned about dealing with smaller ships. The flexibility to engage smaller targets efficiently normally enjoyed by drones has been moved to the launcher bonus, and using it will cost you.

At the same time, the superdrone bonus remains weak on the Rattlesnake, sacrificing flexibility and the resilience to ewar, yet still suffering the normal drawbacks to drones as well in the form of the lost fitting slot, generally lower DPS, and weapon destructibility. Unlike the other ships in the Gurista line the superdrone bonus takes more than it gives.

With the missile bonus being irrespective of size it may be a bad idea to bonus small drones and make the ship a tanky battleship with a role as a dedicated frigate hunter like some kind of bloated destroyer, but the superdrone concept should not take more than it gives the ship either. Breaking even isnt enough.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#1187 - 2014-04-23 09:30:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Morrigan LeSante
If this sounds trollish that is an accident.

So, let's say for a moment that we gave full bonuses to the 'snake.

Fit with drones, RHML...I genuinely can't think of a how you would take that on, short of "just bring more" which is usually a pretty big alarm bell. It'll eat cruisers, it'll hammer frigs and it still has significant "large" target DPS, whilst still retaining a superior tank. It's not exactly high mobility but other than that, I cant find a proper weakness.

I may be wrong and missing something key, but for me it'd be too close to a perfect, one size fits all, fear nothing ship.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1188 - 2014-04-23 10:07:38 UTC
Nerf Burger wrote:
There seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding from the people who somehow think it is fine for the Rattlesnake to lose its bonus to light and medium drones.

Brawlers can quickly get overwhelmed as soon as a new wave of whatever comes in because they are usually in range on everything. The scrams and webs quickly go up and brawlers need those things that are scramming them to die quickly. With these proposed changes, the Rattlesnakes increased reliance on missiles creates significant vulnerabilities to e-war, and with weaker drones, this creates a significant weakness that the Rattlesnake never had before.

These are significant changes to the Rattlesnake and it should be no surprise that many people are very unhappy with them. The nerfs to the Rattlesnake seem even greater than the buffs when considering everything. It got the DPS it needed, albeit specialized, but the price it paid seems unnecessary. I don't see why this ship's role and battleship bonuses had to change at all. The current Snake doesn't seem like an unacceptable amount of overlap with Gallente when you consider how they are different. People trained for it because they like it. It was never considered OP. Why ruin their fun? The 400m3 drone bay was my reason. Now gone. Cry

How i that different from a turret battleship that cannot use its bonuses with medium guns? The Drone ships have an ADVATNGE on being able to do that.

Its not that the rattle is being given a drawback. It is just losing one of its advantages (that I always considered utterly unfair on all drone boats)

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1189 - 2014-04-23 10:19:06 UTC
Euripedies wrote:
Rattlesnake bonus doesn't sit well with me. The fancy talk about how two drones are as good as five isn't working for me. I keep thinking that if I lose one, half my drone DPs is gone instead of only one fifth of my DPs.

And missile bonus? wtf What about the drones! Tracking, range, that sort of thing.

The Machariel is awesome. looks like it will stay that way.

Although for lvl iv missions the mighty Vargur is without equal. It is the proverbial hot knife thru butter.

How hard is to understand that is 2 and half timer harder to lose a drone now? THe net result is same. In fact its better, because the drones have so much EHP that they are never goign to be isnta popped.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Alvatore DiMarco
#1190 - 2014-04-23 11:15:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Alvatore DiMarco
The new Rattlesnake makes frigates and cruisers obsolete. Fozzie and Rise are going to have to start all over again, rebalancing T1 frigs and cruisers so that there's a reason to fly them instead of just launching the Rattlesnake's super-drones.
Mike Voidstar
#1191 - 2014-04-23 11:40:31 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

How i that different from a turret battleship that cannot use its bonuses with medium guns? The Drone ships have an ADVATNGE on being able to do that.

Its not that the rattle is being given a drawback. It is just losing one of its advantages (that I always considered utterly unfair on all drone boats)

True, though losing an advantage without compensation magnifies the impact of existing drawbacks. Drone ships pay a high price for that flexibility. They lose a fitting slot, they can be destroyed, they do generally less damage, and they get less support than other weapon systems in terms of modules, implants and boosters. The slot and destructibility are absolutely without equal in terms of prices paid.

The superdrones retain all of those drawbacks, though drone survivability improves at the cost of some of drones normal advantages. I am satisfied with the trade on the smaller hulls, but simply breaking even on performance for the Rattlesnake leaves it disadvantaged compared to other droneships. The bonus needs to be stronger to not be an overall nerf to the hull and weapon

The ability to bonus any launcher does not change this. It improves potential missile damage application, but using that advantage costs you overall potential damage. The bonus is good despite being limited, but like other split weapon bonuses it is simply stronger to offset being a split weapon bonus & its only getting 5 launchers, likely undersized launchers.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1192 - 2014-04-23 11:49:14 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:

True, though losing an advantage without compensation magnifies the impact of existing drawbacks. Drone ships pay a high price for that flexibility. They lose a fitting slot, they can be destroyed, they do generally less damage, and they get less support than other weapon systems in terms of modules, implants and boosters. The slot and destructibility are absolutely without equal in terms of prices paid.

The superdrones retain all of those drawbacks, though drone survivability improves at the cost of some of drones normal advantages. I am satisfied with the trade on the smaller hulls, but simply breaking even on performance for the Rattlesnake leaves it disadvantaged compared to other droneships. The bonus needs to be stronger to not be an overall nerf to the hull and weapon

The ability to bonus any launcher does not change this. It improves potential missile damage application, but using that advantage costs you overall potential damage. The bonus is good despite being limited, but like other split weapon bonuses it is simply stronger to offset being a split weapon bonus & its only getting 5 launchers, likely undersized launchers.

Hold on a second here. "without compensation"?

So, the fact that the drones you do have in space now have multiple times as many hitpoints, which makes them MUCH more difficult to destroy and thus eliminates one of the primary disadvantages and balancing factors of drones in the first place... is nothing?

They are functionally eliminating one of the major drone weaknesses, that it can be destroyed. So yeah it makes sense that they MUST NOT allow that to apply across the board. You are seriously underestimating just how useful all those bonus hitpoints are going to be.

Nevermind that they very nearly doubled the ship's weapon dps with the best possible dps bonus for missiles.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1193 - 2014-04-23 11:53:02 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Nerf Burger wrote:

And yet, brawler ships exist that don't have bonused drones. The majority of them in fact.

And they do just fine. You're talking about it like not having it is some crippling weakness that means no one would ever use a ship without bonused light drones.

And nearly the entire battleship lineup reveals that such a statement is an outright lie.

Personally I know few if any who would fly a "Drone Boat" with un-bonused drones.
The Rattlesnake will now be able to fit for reasonable missile damage but then it isn't a Drone boat and drones are less important.

Oh and comparing the Snake to a Brawler - Your kidding right??

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Alvatore DiMarco
#1194 - 2014-04-23 11:55:11 UTC
Why shouldn't the new Snake be a brawler, exactly?
Vulfen
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1195 - 2014-04-23 11:56:03 UTC
i like how the RS changes make a shield fleet BS gang viable will be interesting to see what people come up with.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1196 - 2014-04-23 11:58:08 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Oh, and as for "they get less support than other weapon systems".

They're adding modules. They're buffing drones across the board. That Dev Blog HAS to be taken into account when we talk about these changes, they will be simultaneous.

Heck, for all*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal. who hate the idea of putting missiles on their ship, they are adding lowslot drone tracking modules now, they will even have Amarr and Gallente Navy versions.

CCP Fozzie wrote:
Finally, we are rounding out the collection of drone upgrade modules by introducing low slot Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancers and faction versions of the Drone Damage Amplifier and Drone Navigation Computer modules, and adding more faction versions of the Omnidirectional Tracking Link module. The faction modules will be available in Gallente Navy and Amarr Navy variants (available in both normal and FW LP stores) as well as Guristas and Rogue Drone variants available as loot drops. More details about these modules will be available at a later date.

So it's entirely possible that the Heavy Superdrones will have no issues whatsoever tracking frigates.

The Rattlesnake is NOT losing versatility here, and people need to stop repeating that lie. The Rattlesnake is going to be absurdly versatile.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1197 - 2014-04-23 12:29:57 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Oh, and as for "they get less support than other weapon systems".

They're adding modules. They're buffing drones across the board. That Dev Blog HAS to be taken into account when we talk about these changes, they will be simultaneous.

Heck, for all *Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal. who hate the idea of putting missiles on their ship, they are adding lowslot drone tracking modules now, they will even have Amarr and Gallente Navy versions.

CCP Fozzie wrote:
Finally, we are rounding out the collection of drone upgrade modules by introducing low slot Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancers and faction versions of the Drone Damage Amplifier and Drone Navigation Computer modules, and adding more faction versions of the Omnidirectional Tracking Link module. The faction modules will be available in Gallente Navy and Amarr Navy variants (available in both normal and FW LP stores) as well as Guristas and Rogue Drone variants available as loot drops. More details about these modules will be available at a later date.

So it's entirely possible that the Heavy Superdrones will have no issues whatsoever tracking frigates.

The Rattlesnake is NOT losing versatility here, and people need to stop repeating that lie. The Rattlesnake is going to be absurdly versatile.

So a ship that will rely on hybrid damage application, all of which requires lowslots to enhance damage, can now also give up some of that damage to improve tracking? About the only ship to benefit from lowslot drone tracking enhancers will be the shield Domi. Fit a "New" and improved Snake with them your doing yourself and the ship a major dishonor by nerfing its capabilities further. (Unless Sentries are to be your primary weapon)

Super heavy Drones will be all but useless vs frigates, unless you utilize at least 3 midslots for damage application. Unless the new modules also increase Drone Activation Proximity, they won't help.

Maybe you might want to stop looking at the new attributes on drones and look at the more specific drone mechanics.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1198 - 2014-04-23 12:38:44 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

So a ship that will rely on hybrid damage application, all of which requires lowslots to enhance damage, can now also give up some of that damage to improve tracking?

No, what I am saying is that for all you lot complaining that it isn't a pure droneboat? You guys trying to pretend like missiles aren't a thing, and that light drones actually matter... for some reason? Just slap one or two of those on there instead of BCUs and enjoy Heavy Drone dps with good tracking.

On sentries, probably even more overpowered.

It still has exactly the same max drone dps as it did before.

Best Meltdown Ever.

gascanu
Bearing Srl.
#1199 - 2014-04-23 12:50:40 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

So, the fact that the drones you do have in space now have multiple times as many hitpoints, which makes them MUCH more difficult to destroy and thus eliminates one of the primary disadvantages and balancing factors of drones in the first place... is nothing?

They are functionally eliminating one of the major drone weaknesses, that it can be destroyed. So yeah it makes sense that they MUST NOT allow that to apply across the board. You are seriously underestimating just how useful all those bonus hitpoints are going to be.

Nevermind that they very nearly doubled the ship's weapon dps with the best possible dps bonus for missiles.

Hold on a second here! " MUCH more difficult to destroy"... ?
"MUCH" more difficult? really? have you ever killed a drone in your life? you are speaking like those drones will get bs lvl ehp or something... when in fact they will have the ehp of 2.5 drones.

Quote:
They are functionally eliminating one of the major drone weaknesses, that it can be destroyed

again, are you implying that the new drones will become indestructible or something?

in fact killing a drone is very easy and once you managed a web on it it will go down in 1-2 voleys;(that is why ppl stoped using them in pve, except sentrys that can be scooped). so this new "fat drones" will go down in 3-4 max; ppl don't really go for drones atm because a drone ship will have always others waves to launch at you, and you need to web and kill 5 drones each wave; but with only 2 drones per wave and only 3 waves in total, with at least 1 wave of long range sentrys, it become more viable to go after the drones..
so yea, except some ppl thinking managing 5 drones is too much effort, this bonus is a strait nerf on the rattlesnake;
Mike Voidstar
#1200 - 2014-04-23 12:52:16 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:

The Superdrone bonus on the Rattlesnake is weak.

Yes, the drones are more survivable, but not to the point that they will be hard to kill. They are hardly functionally losing their destructibility.

The Worm got drone power roughly 60% higher than any other frigate class droneship in exchange for the additional drawbacks inherant to the superdrone concept. Those drones are nearly as hard to destroy as the ship itself, making them a poor target unless you simply cannot catch the Worm. The Gila is harder to quantify as it could previously field large drones, but it also got a 60% advantage over all other medium drone users. By comparison, the Rattlesnake just breaks even.

This means, at best, that you only delay the impact of attacking a drone, as you get exactly the same return for the effort expended in destroying one as you would have without the bonus, the results just come in bigger chunks.

All of those ships also benefit from the improved missile damage bonus. The tougness of the drones comes at the cost of increased vunerability to Ewar and if it only breaks even on DPS and hitpoints it is overall a nerf to the system. The Superdrone concept is scaling poorly into Battleships-the bonus needs to be larger to compensate the drawback.

I am not saying it needs to have the smaller drones bonused as well, unless the bonus to heavies remains as it is. The ship is not losing the ability to engage small targets, but shifting that ability to launchers removes the on-the-fly situational fexability to do so.

Even with lowslot tracking mods for drones, they will still lack implants and boosters to improve them. The recent years have seen this disadvantage of drones greatly relaxed, but it still applies. It was never more than the least of the drawbacks in any case, paleing before damage, destructibility and the lost slot.