These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#1141 - 2014-04-22 20:06:01 UTC
Cassandra Aurilien wrote:
elitatwo wrote:
chaosgrimm wrote:
Not that I have issues with the new snake, but if the changes to its drone bonuses are to better distinguish the snake from other drone boats, why can't the mach's offensive profile contain a tracking bonus instead a f/o bonus to help distinguish it from both the vargur and t1 minmatar?

The Vargur has a tracking bonus... Not sure how that would help distinguish it...

Most (but not all) hulls with a tracking bonus are built around long range weapon systems. The Mach being unable to fit 1400's without making pretty major fitting concessions and being given a tracking bonus is weird. (You don't really need the bonus with AC's.)

Edit: The Nightmare is a good example of the effects of the tracking bonus on a long range weapon system. It makes Tach's useful at mid-range.

I am sorry to tell you this but they already are. Now with those changes to the Nightmare, you can taychon-kite with the Nightmare which sounds like really cool idea.

I will give it a try with the Phantasm as soon as it get on SiSi.

That's my point. I fly a MWD Tach Nightmare now... Can't wait for the AB bonus. The tracking bonus on it is great for that very reason. On a AC Mach though, the tracking bonus would be worthless.

If the tracking bonus would be worthless on a mach, how does the vargur have an advantage over the mach by having it? If its worthless as you say, the vargur and the mach essentially have the same offensive profile, which in itself is a reason to focus on a rebalance that would further distinguish them.
Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1142 - 2014-04-22 20:07:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Divi Filus
Fabulous Rod wrote:
These changes really do gimp the Rattlesnake to an unacceptable level

Unacceptable to you; not, it seems, to many of the other RS pilots sounding off here. I elaborate:
Fabulous Rod wrote:
[O]ne of the very reasons I picked Rattlesnake was because I wanted frigates to die quickly

You have not elaborated on your fits or play style; I am assuming you fly the RS primarily for L4 missions. As someone who has flown more L4s than I care to admit in a fairly diverse mix of ships, including the Rattlesnake, it is my experience that battleship-grade weapons fired at range are vastly more effective at killing L4 frigate rats than light drones, bonused or no. That goes for whether you're firing an 800mm autocannon at 20+ km, a tachyon beam laser at 50-100 km, or, yes, a sentry drone at pretty much anything over 20-25 km (and this applies even more when shooting destroyers and aboveā€”I echo previous commenters when they say that medium drones have little place in a battleship drone bay, particularly for missions). Now, I grant that if your frigate targets close to inside those ranges, you may have a problem hitting them with the sentries, and you may be forced to rely on lights; but as a Rattlesnake pilot myself, I have rarely seen that happen, and when it does, it means a) I probably did something wrong, which b) I can easily correct with a micro-jump.

It should also be noted that even as light drone DPS is decreasing ~33%, missile DPS is going up by as much as 87.5%. This includes cruise missiles, and in particular precision cruise missiles, which I can tell you (from non-Rattlesnake missile boat experience) are just excellent at killing L4 frigates. (And that is before any consideration at all for RHMLs.)

Now again, your mileage may vary, as I have no idea what kind of fits you're using or how you're flying them; but from where I'm sitting, my post-patch ability to deal with frigates in a Rattler is going up, not down.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1143 - 2014-04-22 20:09:03 UTC
chaosgrimm wrote:
elitatwo wrote:
chaosgrimm wrote:
Not that I have issues with the new snake, but if the changes to its drone bonuses are to better distinguish the snake from other drone boats, why can't the mach's offensive profile contain a tracking bonus instead a f/o bonus to help distinguish it from both the vargur and t1 minmatar?

The Vargur has a tracking bonus... Not sure how that would help distinguish it...

Most (but not all) hulls with a tracking bonus are built around long range weapon systems. The Mach being unable to fit 1400's without making pretty major fitting concessions and being given a tracking bonus is weird. (You don't really need the bonus with AC's.)

Edit: The Nightmare is a good example of the effects of the tracking bonus on a long range weapon system. It makes Tach's useful at mid-range.

I am sorry to tell you this but they already are. Now with those changes to the Nightmare, you can taychon-kite with the Nightmare which sounds like really cool idea.

I will give it a try with the Phantasm as soon as it get on SiSi.

That's my point. I fly a MWD Tach Nightmare now... Can't wait for the AB bonus. The tracking bonus on it is great for that very reason. On a AC Mach though, the tracking bonus would be worthless.

If the tracking bonus would be worthless on a mach, how does the vargur have an advantage over the mach by having it? If its worthless as you say, the vargur and the mach essentially have the same offensive profile, which in itself is a reason to focus on a rebalance that would further distinguish them.

The mach is one the the most mobile battleships while the vargur is stationary.
chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#1144 - 2014-04-22 20:15:49 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Maybe I'm off base here but is this like saying:
The mach uses its mobility in lieu of a tracking bonus?
And/Or
The vargur uses tracking in lieu of mobility?

If this is the case, does that not make these offensive profiles very similar?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1145 - 2014-04-22 20:19:32 UTC
chaosgrimm wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Maybe I'm off base here but is this like saying:
The mach uses its mobility in lieu of a tracking bonus?
And/Or
The vargur uses tracking in lieu of mobility?

If this is the case, does that not make these offensive profiles very similar?

In the same way a coastal fort is the same as a dreadnaught.
Fabulous Rod
Darkfall Corp
#1146 - 2014-04-22 20:24:59 UTC
Divi Filus wrote:
. Now, I grant that if your frigate targets close to inside those ranges, you may have a problem hitting them with the sentries, and you may be forced to rely on lights; .

Then we agree. I'm not just talking about using lights and mediums in missions either. The bonused mediums are the best choice at combating cruisers when you do not want to remain stationary.

Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1147 - 2014-04-22 20:29:37 UTC
chaosgrimm wrote:
chaosgrimm wrote:

There are a very small number of occurances where the Machs offensive profile can't outperform the vargurs

The Mach is arguably the best BS arty platform in the game. By ur logic it should have a tracking bonus.

IMO the roles of pirates aren't restricted to long range short v range wep platforms, but high dmg/application/speed while running a riskier tank

Part of the risky tank concept is having to be at a closer ranges with a given wep platform. For example kronos v vindi and to a lesser extent pally v nm.

The Machs projection bonus increases allows it to keep distance / increase survivability. The speed and agility help w/ dmg application through both f/o and angular. If it had a tracking bonus, it would be better at applying dmg at closer ranges, but in order to maintain its "king of BS projectile DPS" title, it would need to assume more risk.

In other words, the mach currently doesn't sacrifice much to be the king of projectiles. Switching to a tracking bonus would give it some new advantages + disadvantages, wouldn't ruin the hull, and further distinguish it from other projectile alternatives

At the range where a tracking bonus would actually accomplish anything on a AC Mach - you'd be better off bringing a blaster boat. In mid-falloff range (even with the lower falloff you are suggesting) tracking simply isn't an issue against most targets. Almost any other bonus would make more sense. For PVE, I run my Mach quite close to it's targets as it is, if you are flying it rather than orbiting, it has no issues hitting NPC BS's under 10KM.

In order to fit the Mach as the best arty platform, you have to make sacrifices in terms of what you are fitting, more so than just about any other Faction BS when fitted for range. (Much earlier in the thread there were people complaining about that, using 6% implants, etc...) The Vargur is a more natural arty platform, in my opinion.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1148 - 2014-04-22 20:30:21 UTC
Fabulous Rod wrote:
Divi Filus wrote:
. Now, I grant that if your frigate targets close to inside those ranges, you may have a problem hitting them with the sentries, and you may be forced to rely on lights; .

Then we agree. I'm not just talking about using lights and mediums in missions either. The bonused mediums are the best choice at combating cruisers when you do not want to remain stationary.

Best way to combat cruisers is to web them and lash out with the heavies and missiles. The bonused torps and heavies will do a lot more damage to a crusier than bonused med drones and unbonused missiles.
Last Wolf
Umbra Wing
#1149 - 2014-04-22 20:51:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Last Wolf
The only thing the Snake loses it its ability field 5 heavy e-war or logistic drones.

Everything else it will do better, including shooting at frigs. Your 87.5% missile damage increase will put more dps on frigs than you have lost with light drones.

Edit: same thing with cruisers and medium drones.

That awkward moment at the Gentlemen's Club when you see your sister on the stage....and you're not sure where to put the money....

Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1150 - 2014-04-22 20:56:38 UTC
Fabulous Rod wrote:
Divi Filus wrote:

Except that you're losing far less DPS from the lost bonus to medium drones than you gain with the 5th launcher hardpoint and missile damage bonus using any large missile system, including rapid heavy launchers (and yes, even taking into account their reload times).
KaDa en Bauldry
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1151 - 2014-04-22 21:08:57 UTC
Fabulous Rod wrote:
Divi Filus wrote:

With the new AI?
I'd pick the bonused Cruise missiles and lights.
Well... I find sentries to be to solution to almost everything truth be told, apart from the reactivation delay on the MicroJumper. For that, Marauders.

Don't forget about ship insurance before undocking. Don't forget about copy-paste saving before posting.

chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#1152 - 2014-04-22 21:23:56 UTC  |  Edited by: chaosgrimm

At the range where a tracking bonus would actually accomplish anything on a AC Mach - you'd be better off bringing a blaster boat. In mid-falloff range (even with the lower falloff you are suggesting) tracking simply isn't an issue against most targets. Almost any other bonus would make more sense. For PVE, I run my Mach quite close to it's targets as it is, if you are flying it rather than orbiting, it has no issues hitting NPC BS's under 10KM.

In order to fit the Mach as the best arty platform, you have to make sacrifices in terms of what you are fitting, more so than just about any other Faction BS when fitted for range. (Much earlier in the thread there were people complaining about that, using 6% implants, etc...) The Vargur is a more natural arty platform, in my opinion.

Lol no....
Mach will almost always be able to make use of that tracking bonus given its speed, if not anything else.

Because ur talking about PvE, mach is def the better arty platform. Even if u wanna give up a low for fitting, you arnt going to fit more than 4 gyros, and maybe 1 te. still gives u a slot left for whatever. The cycle time is low for 1400s and you can split the dmg across 7 turrets to lower your overkill. Not to mention, mach has much better turret dps and better drone bandwidth.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#1153 - 2014-04-22 21:33:02 UTC
Elite frigs wouldnt break the passive tank and precision cruises will absolutely murder them anyway.
Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1154 - 2014-04-22 21:38:04 UTC
chaosgrimm wrote:

Lol no....
Mach will almost always be able to make use of that tracking bonus given its speed, if not anything else.

Because ur talking about PvE, mach is def the better arty platform. Even if u wanna give up a low for fitting, you arnt going to fit more than 4 gyros, and maybe 1 te. still gives u a slot left for whatever. The cycle time is low for 1400s and you can split the dmg across 7 turrets to lower your overkill. Not to mention, mach has much better turret dps and better drone bandwidth.

I disagree, but you're welcome to your opinion.

To me, the role of a Vargur and a Mach aren't that similar. The Mach is based on speed & movement, the Vargur on it's Bastion mode - complete immobility... (Hence, why I don't see the need to differentiate them.)

Their offensive profile is similar, but in terms of their use, they are not similar.
chaosgrimm
Synth Tech
#1155 - 2014-04-22 21:50:45 UTC

Their offensive profile is similar, but in terms of their use, they are not similar.

Sorry for keeping this going but I do enjoy forum discussions xD.

So you are in agreement that the offensive profiles are similar.

But now look at the differences in the offensive profiles between the pally and the nm as well as the kronos and the vindi.

Don't the mach and the vargur deserve that lvl of uniqueness?
Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1156 - 2014-04-22 22:39:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Cassandra Aurilien
chaosgrimm wrote:

Sorry for keeping this going but I do enjoy forum discussions xD.

So you are in agreement that the offensive profiles are similar.

But now look at the differences in the offensive profiles between the pally and the nm as well as the kronos and the vindi.

Don't the mach and the vargur deserve that lvl of uniqueness?

I don't mind... It's a civil discussion, which is always nice... Big smile (Sorry for the long reply, as well.)

I'll speak to the Pali/NM, as I use both... (And I love my NM Big smile)

Previous to the Marauder rebalance, it was simple:

The NM was generally considered to be the go to for Tach lasers, the Pali was generally considered to be the best for pulses. The tracking bonus on the NM allowed it to use Tach lasers at mid range, while the Pali's old bonus to stasis webbing was ideal for pulses.

Both could function with either weapon system, and there were advantages to fitting either on both hulls, of course. NM fits tended to come out a little ahead on firepower, as they could fill their lows with HS without issues. (But cap for a NM pilot was always an issue.)

Now, it's a bit more complex...

Previous to this balance, the Paladin's new bonuses set it up to be simply better than the Nightmare. The NM's tracking bonus was still useful, but the optimal range bonus on the Pali is useful for both Tach's & pulses. Add to that the better cap, lower cap use of armor reps, higher base speed, higher base lock range, bastion mode (the NM, while mobile, was not especially mobile) & the Pali was the better choice for most things.

With this rebalance to the NM, the two ships come into a bit more balance. The NM's AB bonus & base speed boost will allow it to control range & stay mobile. The extra low gives a bit more flexibility in fitting.

In order to balance the hull, they had to add an additional bonus, which didn't previously exist. (The Pali & the NM do have an overlapping bonus, it's just been folded into the base bonus to it's weapon system.)

The Mach already has mobility... Really, the Mach has 1 completely different bonus not listed as a bonus... 161 m/s speed. That's a built in 46% speed bonus.

I'm not especially opposed to changing the falloff bonus, but I don't think that tracking is it. At most ranges where you really need it (with AC's, not Arty), as I said, I think you'd be better off with blasters. Personally, I'd rather love to see that 46% speed bonus turned into a 100% speed bonus, but that would be more than a bit OP...

Edit: Also, it would still have the exact same duplicating bonuses with the Vargur, it would just be tracking duplicated, instead of falloff.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#1157 - 2014-04-22 22:58:48 UTC
Anyhow can we discuss real issues that have come to light, like CPU on the Rattlesnake and capacitor on the Nightmare?

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1158 - 2014-04-22 23:01:08 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Anyhow can we discuss real issues that have come to light, like CPU on the Rattlesnake and capacitor on the Nightmare?

Not in much depth until we get to abuse them on sisi.
Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1159 - 2014-04-22 23:04:06 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

Cap has always been a problem on the NM. There are a few ways around it - XL-ASB or a cap booster, depending on your preference.
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#1160 - 2014-04-22 23:14:37 UTC
I believe Rise even went so far as to say that capacitor issues on Sansha ships are intentional.