These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3121 - 2014-06-05 20:40:55 UTC
Barton Breau wrote:

Fair enuf, could be interesting.

It should be close. The rattle is faster at killing stuff than the mach however the mach is 2AU faster in warp.
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3122 - 2014-06-05 20:41:37 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Barton Breau wrote:

Try better and people may take your issue more seriously.

I still won't. Every last point they have made is a lie or a non issue. Even if they knock off the incredible intellectual dishonesty and the personal attacks, the fact remains that their argument is inherently worthless.

Well, what i assume is that he/she/it is upset about is the inability to play mach in a rattle with torps and lights/meds.

The skill and fit changes you would have to do and slight playstyle change it would require to continue with this approach to l4s, i mean being upset by them, is somewhat valid.

Even if you can argue that it is nearly irrelevant in the grand scale of things :)
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#3123 - 2014-06-05 20:46:29 UTC
Barton Breau wrote:

Well, what i assume is that he/she/it is upset about is the inability to play mach in a rattle with torps and lights/meds.

The skill and fit changes you would have to do and slight playstyle change it would require to continue with this approach to l4s, i mean being upset by them, is somewhat valid.

No, it's really not valid. It's just being angry at change. The "respect the skillpoints I used!" argument they tried a couple weeks ago makes that very clear.

Quote:

Even if you can argue that it is nearly irrelevant in the grand scale of things :)

Incontrovertibly.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3124 - 2014-06-05 20:48:54 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Barton Breau wrote:

Fair enuf, could be interesting.

It should be close. The rattle is faster at killing stuff than the mach however the mach is 2AU faster in warp.

Just use the mjd sparingly, stoic assumes quite fast missions for the warp speed to be a clear advanatage :)
Nalarin
#3125 - 2014-06-05 21:14:16 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
No, it's really not valid. It's just being angry at change. The "respect the skillpoints I used!" argument they tried a couple weeks ago makes that very clear.

I liked the "can't afk 15 mins to get the door/GF" argument more.
Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#3126 - 2014-06-05 21:19:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Mike Voidstar
PvE playstyles are not inconsequential.

That does not stop TempRonLin from being wrong about everything though. The Rattlesnake is in a far better place even for his tiny niche of a playstyle, he/she/it will just not admit to being wrong about anything, but if cornered in one their many mistaken and poorly thought out points in a clearly losing position there will be a claim that the point was missed and the argument changed to another poorly thought position.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#3127 - 2014-06-05 23:00:21 UTC
Nalarin wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

I liked the "can't afk 15 mins to get the door/GF" argument more.

That one was beyond incredulous.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

M Key
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#3128 - 2014-06-05 23:19:12 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
PvE playstyles are not inconsequential.

That does not stop TempRonLin from being wrong about everything though. The Rattlesnake is in a far better place even for his tiny niche of a playstyle,

All the more so since from what I've seen a Gecko can tank entire mission rooms on its own. So AFK pilots should rejoice in the ability for a single drone to out tank their **** fit battleship.
stoicfaux
#3129 - 2014-06-06 00:45:19 UTC
baltec11700+ DPS close, just shy of 1500 long, 5.06 AU/s. Stoicfaux I might be able to give your mach a run for its money afterall[:twisted wrote:

Doubtful. I was running the Mach with 4 sentries (and ~80km of drone range.) Their added DPS didn't come into play that often because things tended to die very quickly to the 800s (in three groups for efficiency,) plus coordinating the sentries and the gun groups was a bit of a hassle. There were a couple of missions where things spawned outside of my drone control range as well. All in all, I tended to not use my drones more often than not. Err wait.. not use my drones more often than did? Effing' english language.

Also, a Rattlesnake is going to be very slow to lock frigates (16.7s) without sensor boosters/amps, so either fit them or bring FoFs. My Level 3 Mach had 2 amps and a booster + scan script, which still requires 6.8 seconds to lock a 40m frigate according to EFT.

I was using a MAR instead of the LAR due to not have Astronautic Rigging V at the time.
[Machariel, Level - 3]
Gyrostabilizer II
Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
Signal Amplifier II
Signal Amplifier II
Large Armor Repairer II

Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution Script
100MN Microwarpdrive II

800mm Repeating Cannon II, EMP L
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Warden II x4

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

stoicfaux
#3130 - 2014-06-06 01:14:09 UTC
You all still replying to Lin? Why? His credibility is shot, which takes the fun out of replying to him, IMO. At this point he's just a troll that's regurgitating the same arguments, being deliberately vague about context (e.g. making a claim heavies versus frigates so he can then "zing" any counter argument by claiming he was talking about PvP or PvE instead,) talking down to people, taking (dev blog!) quotes out of context, etc..

Anyway, I'm curious as to how the Rattlesnake will do in PvP. Personally, I'm betting that we'll see a few minor tweaks/buffs (CPU, maybe drone control range buff, and/or a damage application buff) before all is said and done. Meaning, gunships are still better and split weapons still put too much pressure on limited module slots.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3131 - 2014-06-06 03:42:35 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
baltec11700+ DPS close, just shy of 1500 long, 5.06 AU/s. Stoicfaux I might be able to give your mach a run for its money afterall[:twisted wrote:

Doubtful. I was running the Mach with 4 sentries (and ~m of drone range.) Their added DPS didn't come into play that often because things tended to die very quickly to the 800s (in three groups for efficiency,) plus coordinating the sentries and the gun groups was a bit of a hassle. There were a couple of missions where things spawned outside of my drone control range as well. All in all, I tended to not use my drones more often than not. Err wait.. not use my drones more often than did? Effing' english language.

Also, a Rattlesnake is going to be very slow to lock frigates (16.7s) without sensor boosters/amps, so either fit them or bring FoFs. My Level 3 Mach had 2 amps and a booster + scan script, which still requires 6.8 seconds to lock a 40m frigate according to EFT.

I can most likely drop the thermal for a sebo which would help that situation. The rattle (going off memory) will get its sentries to slap stuff out to some 90km with enough power to volly frigs and some cruisers.
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#3132 - 2014-06-06 03:55:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Alvatore DiMarco
This whole ******* thread is because a select little clique of missionbears think that they shouldn't have to change anything ever, even when every other demographic - missionbear, PvPer, industrialist and marketeer alike - have had to change and adapt multiple times.

Pathetic.

I cannot wait for someone with a colored tag to come through and say "this thread has served its purpose" and lock it.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3133 - 2014-06-06 09:59:20 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
just shy of 1500 long, 5.06 AU/s.

I assume that's with a set of Ascendancy implants as well?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3134 - 2014-06-06 10:14:54 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
just shy of 1500 long, 5.06 AU/s.

I assume that's with a set of Ascendancy implants as well?

Indeed. Med grade, I cant justify the cost of the high grades as they only add .5 more.
Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#3135 - 2014-06-06 10:37:09 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
[Rattlesnake, Level 3]

Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Imperial Navy Drone Damage Amplifier

Large Micro Jump Drive
Prototype 100MN Microwarpdrive I
Pith C-Type Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Amplifier II
Thermic Dissipation Amplifier II
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Heavy Missile
Small Tractor Beam II

Berserker II x2
Ogre II x2
Hobgoblin II x5
Warden II x2

1700+ DPS close, just shy of 1500 long, 5.06 AU/s. Stoicfaux I might be able to give your mach a run for its money afterallTwisted

As stoic pointed out the lock speed is a bit on the slow side to be practical. Rigs wise I would go instead with 1x T2 warp speed and 2x T2 rigor.

FoF is ofc option but it has it's own set of drawbacks - lowered damage, being dumb or even dumber than drones left unsuipervised, etc.

Here: http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/65418/1/numbers_table.png is the warp speed table from the devblg.

Going from 2 AU/s to 2.5 AU/s is significant enough boost (plus anything you would be getting from the hardwires/asc set). Basically should save you about 1.. 1.5 minutes per your mission roundtrip. Dropping all rigors on a missile ship would be a bit too big application sacrifice in my opinion and possibly start costing you more in completion speed than you are gaining from warp speed increase. Even if you are using rapid heavies in L3. TBH - I'm not entirely convinced that using a BS hull for L3's is the best tool for the job. Now mach I can kinda understand as it handles more like a cruiser but on most other BS hulls increasing the warp speed does not make them handle that much better in mission deadspace. L3's still invlove (or at least involved a bit more than a year ago when I did them for some reason in any noticeable amount) fair bit of distance between gates in some of them.

For the most optimal platform for L3 blitzing I would focus on Isthar/T3's - perhaps also take a look at command ships but I believe these were outclassed by T3's everywhere so other than a bit lower cost and a bit thicker buffer they probably do not have a lot going for them.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3136 - 2014-06-06 10:51:34 UTC
The reason for the battleship is the range, tank, firepower and the fact that you can use all the rigs for warp speed without sacrificing tank. With a warp speed of 5AU or over you are as fast as a frigate which makes a massive difference. Not even T3s can pull off all the things you need to make this work. The isktar for example is/was earning 50 mil/hr, the mach will net you 80 mil/hr (level 3s).

My challange is to get the rattle as close to the mach as I can.
Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#3137 - 2014-06-06 11:31:08 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
The reason for the battleship is the range, tank, firepower and the fact that you can use all the rigs for warp speed without sacrificing tank. With a warp speed of 5AU or over you are as fast as a frigate which makes a massive difference. Not even T3s can pull off all the things you need to make this work. The isktar for example is/was earning 50 mil/hr, the mach will net you 80 mil/hr (level 3s).

My challange is to get the rattle as close to the mach as I can.

Fair enough.

BTW I believe you should be able to get away in L3's without shield booster in Rattle. It's approx 16k shields should be enough to last you through any L3 mission with just 2x invuls (or just couple mission specific hardeners if you feel like refitting between missions). Granted I have never flown rattlesnake so I'm more talking about theoretical terms based on EFT.

As the damage number you posted got me interested (thinking that perhaps it might make sense to change my alts navy phoons to rattlenakes for L4 semicasual grind) .. well .. now thats not exactly L3 setup but is something I would consider for L4's myself

[Rattlesnake, Superdrone]
3x Federation Navy Drone Damage Amplifier
3x Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System

4x Federation Navy Drone Navigation Computer
2x Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
100MN Microwarpdrive II

5x Caldari Navy Cruise Missile Launcher, Inferno Auto-Targeting Cruise Missile I
1x Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Drone Control Range Augmentor I
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II

A Drone: Gecko x1

With the rig it more or less pushes the drone control range up to 94 km, 25 calibration short from fitting T2 rig (with it would be 99 km, but I believe Rigor is more important). I bnelieve it would be exceptionally hard to keep the aggro off your ~770 dps drone of doom doing approx 5 km/s with all these faction nav computers. Why only a gecko - well you lose some dps against Ogre's but it seems to be somewhat faster and it's 12 000 hull should make it durable enough to recall it and send out another if it gets seriously damaged.

Note the FoF missiles. What I can do is to stop launcher, activate it again, fof hits the closest red cross in space putting gecko on it (for new waves, rat groups that are not agressed on you) - that way you do not need to lock them (you will need to lock some first rat ofc in mission to put your drone on it getting you the yellow timer).

There is some dangers on it. Both FoF and drones flying around are quite capable of drawing the whole pocket on your head, which, in combination of lack of shield booster can prove to be fatal.

I am not convinced it is actually a working setup in real EVE but on paper it seems interesting. Tank wise it should be fine(ish). I would suggest bringing an alt with domi and couple remote shield transfers as a wingman just in case probably until one knows for sure ofc.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

Agent Luther Sloan
Doomheim
#3138 - 2014-06-06 12:01:00 UTC
I'd just like to mosy in on this 157-page thread and say that a) I've been a Rattlesnake pilot since almost day one. (more like day 30, but you know what I mean) and b) I freakin' love the changes. This is no eft-warrioring, or theoretical speculation. I used the Rattlesnake all the time before the patch, and I've used it in 20-30 lvl 4's after the patch, and I love it it even more than I did before.

First of all, why are so many fit's I've seen active tanked? Who active tanks a Rattler?!? Stick three purgers on there (or three t2 extenders if you're like me and get your jollies from seeing ridiculously high shield hp numbers) and you can tank the universe! I've been blowing through missions so quickly it is crazy - I need to keep max targets locked at all times because every few seconds something explodes - whether it is two frigates/cruisers at a time with my sentries or a battleship with my new uber-cruise. Speaking of the the missiles, I only need to stock thermal and kinetic missiles now, and that's awesome! Therm is better against the EM/Therm-weak rats than EM, and Kin is better against Angels now thanks to the Rattle's awesome damage bonus.

And don't get me started an using a Gecko! If I need to slowboat to a gate, instead of dropping sentries and a mobile depot like I used to, killing everything then refitting for prop/cap, I just deploy my little gecko buddy while slowboating to the gate. Battleships, cruisers, even elite freakin' frigs fall to a Gecko in a couple hits! No, you don't need to web/tp anything, with the three unscripted omni's I was using for my sentries, Gecko's can track and hit pretty much anything short of maybe those pesky little spider drones. And guess what, Hobgoblins still work just fine for those! I haven't even noticed a difference in light drone performance now that the hull bonus doesn't apply to them - with four DDA's they are just fine!

Back to the Gecko - with the Rattler bonus, mine has over 3k shields, around 32 hp/sec recharge, and does well over 700 dps on its own. Last night a Gecko did 4,473 damage in one hit. Granted, it was against a structure with no resists, but still - nearly 4,500 damage FROM A SINGLE DRONE. That's amazing... Yeah the ship is slow - it has always been and always will be slow. If I want to zoom around the battlefield I use my Mach. But when I want to clear missions, I use my Rattlesnake,

You guys keep complaining all you want about the Rattler, I'm gonna fly mine until the servers go dark.

--
- Agent
Nalarin
#3139 - 2014-06-06 16:48:35 UTC
Agent Luther Sloan wrote:
First of all, why are so many fit's I've seen active tanked? Who active tanks a Rattler?!? Stick three purgers on there (or three t2 extenders if you're like me and get your jollies from seeing ridiculously high shield hp numbers) and you can tank the universe!
Because active can be pulled off with less slots used for tank.
0 Lows (all of them available as BCU/DDA), and 2-4 mids depending on the mission.

Last night a Gecko did 4,473 damage in one hit. Granted, it was against a structure with no resists, but still - nearly 4,500 damage FROM A SINGLE DRONE. That's amazing...

That was your full bandwidth ofc, had 1 sentry from 5 do over 1.5k hit, if all 5 of them did the same that would have been 7.5k in the same time the Gecko shoots once.
Priestess Lin
Darkfall Corp
#3140 - 2014-06-06 17:20:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Priestess Lin

First of all, why are so many fit's I've seen active tanked?

If you ask Kaarous, he will tell you that if you passive shield tank a Rattlesnake, you are doing it wrong. Lol

Roll

These kids are so ridiculous with their pve-only fits that still fall far short of the ease and mission clearing capability of a mach.

You can't take your Rattlesnake into low and null because you can't kill even kill a 500k isk Incursus anymore without totally gimping yourself against every other size of ship in the game due to loss of bonuses on lights, missile specialization, and loss of the versatility of a 400m3 drone bay.

1 or 2 drones are far easier combat than 5. Other ships are more versatile and do higher dps with less micromanagement.

When discussing weaknesses of heavy drones vs fast frigates: baltec1- " A thanatos with a flight of geckos killed a bomber gang while AFK. So yea, they track frigates just fine." https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4678049#post4678049