These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Dimitri Zaitsev
Tellurium Fighters
#3041 - 2014-06-03 23:06:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Dimitri Zaitsev
Baltec1,

Not a matter of HP. It's just much easier to kill two sentry drones instead of five. It's about targeting two instead of five.

Why imballance ? Just keep the 275% for the sentry and heavy and not for small and medium. Just five more lines of code, I assure you, something like

IF heavy_attack .or. sentry
maxdrones = 2
ELSE
maxdrones = 5
ENDIF

It's a stupid and severe nerf. I didn't complain about drone bay space. It's about bandwidth. Why not let people use 5 heavy ECM drones or other heavy utility drones ?
Hexatron Ormand
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3042 - 2014-06-03 23:11:58 UTC
You still need more space than what it has now though... it is true that you need less space for heavies and sentries. But i used to carry utility drones... drones for different situations. To kill frigs orbitting you, you still need flights of light drones, that do a worse job now than before. If you lose a drone, you don't have extras.

Before i could take 6-7 flights of different sorts of drones with me. Prepared and fit for many situations. With the new one, even considering the less space requirement for heavies/sentries, i can only carry 4. In my book this is a heavy nerf.

The Rattle should get at least 200m³ drone bay, even better 225m³ so this is helped with. Especially now that the Rattle lost a utility high slot, that was often used for remote repping of the drones. You now need repair drones to do that... right.. drones you have no space for, so you cannot do that either.

Right now the Rattle has very shiny DPS on paper, and also in a few situations. But in practical tests it is frustrating, and annoying. You need to watch their aggro and micromanagement even more than before. There is no more room for errors. If a drone goes boom, you lose a real lot of damage, and have no replacements, as you have no room for those either.

I really like the rattle, its damage potential, the way you can fly it, the way it tanks soooo amazingly well. But it is also super frustrating. It should have more drone bay as described above, or maybe an additional ultility high slot, that it had before and has now been lost.
Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#3043 - 2014-06-03 23:20:18 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
lol at all these people who think the rattler being slightly better or worse at pve is relevant in any real way.

I suspect that a lot more Rattlers are used in PvE than PvP...so yeah, it would seem to me that their PvE performance is indeed relevant.
Frumpylumps Faplord
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3044 - 2014-06-04 01:48:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Frumpylumps Faplord
I don't even want to play my Rattlesnake anymore. It silly how long it takes heavy drones to kill frigates, even with tracking omnidirectional equipped. The Rattlesnake was the biggest, baddest sub-cap drone boat to aspire to with a 400 m3 drone bay and bonuses to all its drones. I don't understand why CCP Rise decided had to completely **** this up instead of just giving it the extra slot it needed.

The creative possibilities of having a 400m3 drone bay have been destroyed. 1 or 2 drones are much easier to deal with in pvp than 5. So what we are effectively seeing here is a reduction in the Rattlesnakes drone capabilities and an overall reduction of its versatility, the one thing it excelled at.

The Rattlesnake has become a victim of narrow-minded DPS-centric thinking and a completely irrelevant target for reducing drone numbers. A great opportunity missed to make the least-used pirate faction battleship more desirable.

This pirate faction battleship thread is the longest of any of the proposed changes in the features and ideas section on the EVE forums yet CCP Rise only responded to one complaint about the Rattlesnake in its ability to use sentries, seemingly reluctantly allowing it to keep bonuses to sentries.

It used to be that I felt comfortable taking my Rattlesnake into low sec to run missions. I could fit launchers for large targets and use bonused light drones and mediums to deal with fast frigates and cruisers. With the missile velocity bonus gone now and the awful heavy drone AI that makes it want to attack whatever you are, the new Rattlesnake is going to now be a huge pain in the ass in terms of micromanagement. According to the the dev blog, its supposed to be even harder for heavy drones to hit fast moving targets now.

New Rattlesnake has such glaring weaknesses now with its drones reduced to 1-2 drones and a predictable and easily fortified damage type. Fast frigates make a joke of this ship unless the RS totally gimps itself vs anything larger than a cruiser.

Its amazing how badly you guys ****** this ship up. You turned a very versatile and SP intensive pirate faction drone boat into yet another niche-application specialized DPS missile ship with a half-assed drone system.

My guess is Rise flies a machariel. I'm sure all the mach pilots just love these changes and can't stop talking about how great the new RS is.Roll
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3045 - 2014-06-04 02:16:46 UTC
So, thumbs up or thumbs down on the new Rattlesnake?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Joe Boirele
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3046 - 2014-06-04 02:21:21 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

I like it (the new one, I mean)

Enemies are just friends who stab you in the front.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!"

Dimitri Zaitsev
Tellurium Fighters
#3047 - 2014-06-04 03:13:59 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Down, both thumbs.
Hasril Pux
Red Cabal
#3048 - 2014-06-04 03:29:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasril Pux
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Thumbs up. I have to admit that my initial impression of the Rattlesnake was not so good. But now that I've managed to experiment with it on SiSi in both PvP and PvE roles I can safely say that I will survive this change without selling my Rattlers. Both are going to be more expensive to fit though, that's one real drawback. Also, long range frigates are somewhat more difficult to fend off than before. In particular, fleet interceptors will be a big problem.

If you like any of the older ship models (original artwork) better than the redesign of your favorite hull and don't want them to be lost forever, support ship customization and this feature request.

Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#3049 - 2014-06-04 04:51:46 UTC
Frumpylumps Faplord wrote:
I don't even want to play my Rattlesnake anymore. It silly how long it takes heavy drones to kill frigates, even with tracking omnidirectional equipped. The Rattlesnake was the biggest, baddest sub-cap drone boat to aspire to with a 400 m3 drone bay and bonuses to all its drones. I don't understand why CCP Rise decided had to completely **** this up instead of just giving it the extra slot it needed.

The creative possibilities of having a 400m3 drone bay have been destroyed. 1 or 2 drones are much easier to deal with in pvp than 5. So what we are effectively seeing here is a reduction in the Rattlesnakes drone capabilities and an overall reduction of its versatility, the one thing it excelled at.

The Rattlesnake has become a victim of narrow-minded DPS-centric thinking and a completely irrelevant target for reducing drone numbers. A great opportunity missed to make the least-used pirate faction battleship more desirable.

This pirate faction battleship thread is the longest of any of the proposed changes in the features and ideas section on the EVE forums yet CCP Rise only responded to one complaint about the Rattlesnake, reluctantly allowing it to keep bonuses to sentries.

It used to be that I felt comfortable taking my Rattlesnake into low sec to run missions. I could fit launchers for large targets and use bonused light drones and mediums to deal with fast frigates and cruisers. With the missile velocity bonus gone now and the awful heavy drone AI that makes it want to attack whatever you are, the new Rattlesnake is going to now be a huge pain in the ass in terms of micromanagement. According to the the dev blog, its supposed to be even harder for heavy drones to hit fast moving targets now.

New Rattlesnake has such glaring weaknesses now with its drones reduced to 1-2 drones and a predictable and easily fortified damage type. Fast frigates make a joke of this ship unless the RS totally gimps itself vs anything larger than a cruiser.

Its amazing how badly you guys ****** this ship up. You turned a very versatile and SP intensive pirate faction drone boat into yet another niche-application specialized DPS missile ship with a half-assed drone system.

My guess is Rise flies a machariel. I'm sure all the mach pilots just love these changes and can't stop talking about how great the new RS is.Roll

Hmm, this post seems very familiar. Sure you don't feel an urge to call someone a clown or claim they have embarrassed themselves enough? I am not sure when a half rack of range bonused missiles became good against large targets, but whatever. Lighter drones do have a place in a drone ship's arsenal, but it's a secondary function at best.

The new RS has the same utility as the old one, with the described roles of the weapons reversed. Use the large drones on large targets, and fit smaller launchers for smaller targets. Smaller launchers won't lose damage to large targets the way large drones will to small targets, and a full rack for large drones handles most cruisers and larger with ease. The option remains to just use larger missiles on smaller targets too-- it's not efficient ammo use, but it does work. That whole "something being less good than absolute best is still not useless except in internet fights" again.

Micromanaging is a thing that is a problem. Other weapons are actually just as bad, they just don't target themselves the way drones will. Complaining about micromanagement on drones is complaining about one of their advantages. MIssiles lend themselves to being micromanaged because their damage is so predictable. You don't have to do it, but you lose efficiency when you don't.

The Rattlesnake has issues, but they lie in a weak bonus to the large drones.
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3050 - 2014-06-04 05:09:23 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Thumbs up for proper 2 weapon system ship.

Thumbs down (and a certain other finger up) for superior drone boat .
Chicken Exroofer
Regional Assault and Recon
#3051 - 2014-06-04 05:22:29 UTC
Sooooo.....

After a day of missioning. The sky did not fall. RS is different, same-ish dps, better damage from cruises, (using precisions a lot more to make up for meh light drones).

Gecko dps dropped, which we knew would happen.

Still would like the cargo bay to go up by the same m3 the drone bay went down, or even better, 225 m3 drone bay, and balanced cargo bay increase to make up for higher missile usage.

But over 1k fit window dps on a passive fit that will tank any L4 in it's sleep, which will only climb a bit more as I eventually max out the relevant skills?

Fine by me. Loss of drone flexibility is a pain, not having spares etc. Thus the utterly reasonable request for 50 m3 more.
I can live with it. Certainly won't be selling either
Topher Basquette Dusch-shur
Montana Freedom Fighters
#3052 - 2014-06-04 15:17:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Topher Basquette Dusch-shur
Thumbs and lower appendage are up.

I really enjoyed the Fleet 'Phoon when I flew it as a cruise/drone DPS monster. The only issue was tank. The Rattle can be flow the same way, but it has the tank to make it work. x2 hardeners, large shield boost(it has a 300dps passive tank on it's own with good res, you don't need the XL-save that fitting space) and one amp or TP depending on if you fight more BS or more Frigs in a mission.

Blink Sploosh.
Alxea
Unstable Pirate Sharks Of The Damed Sea
#3053 - 2014-06-04 15:20:17 UTC
Rattlesnake looked good until I saw it only has 50 bandwidth. WTF is this? Rattlesnake nerf? Useless all Grista ships are now. Huge nerf to dronebays. Nice damage and HP for the drones but can't use 5 drones and the drone bay was reduced by more then 50%. Pirate ship drone boat nerf of 2014. Clear you all hate drones. Less drones in space the better is BS!
Hexatron Ormand
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3054 - 2014-06-04 15:25:39 UTC
Thumbs up when it comes to the tankability of the RS, to its sheer DPS potential when you can keep an eye on everything you need to micromanage.

As mentioned before, this ship is a lot of fun to fly, and the DPS seems to be quite a bit higher than before. Even with a passive Rattle you can now crank out quite some DPS, what was not that possible before the reblance.

Thumbs down when it comes to the new niche application and the small drone bay.

It just lacks the versatility, especially when it comes to drone bay size. Being limited to only this few flights of drones without any backup/spare ones can be bad at times. When the Rattle loses drones, it loses a lot of it potential. So the ability to carry spares to keep up this potential would be really nice.

Also just cause it has bonus for lage drones and sentries doesn't mean that people don't want to bring along some utility or ewar. Especially some repair drones could be nice at times, to repair up some of your damaged drones in "times inbetween fights". Or some e-war drones. I really miss the ability to carry along some spare flights, or some "little surprises" for those that want to pick up a fight.

Before the rebalance, the Rattlesnake used to be the "softest" target when out ratting, and every PvP player/tackler was happy when they could spot or tackle one. Now after the rebalance, they may be even softer to be tackled and taken down as there is no more room or space to carry drones for that purpose with you.
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#3055 - 2014-06-04 22:19:13 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Thumbs up on the improvements to Missiles, That overall is good, The reduced range is not so nice, a little too much waiting with precisions, Sentries even longer after losing a DLA, but overall not really missed too much, just less pleasant to use.

On the drone side a strong thumbs down, I really do not like the way that if one heavy gets webbed, you have lost half your Drone damage or all of it if a Gecko, and not really enough space to carry replacements.
You will lose more so reducing the size of drone bay was an over severe negative.

Heavy drones really are almost incapable at dealing with frigates. It is still suicidal to launch heavies while there is anything capable of webbing them. that rules them out for tackling small targets. they are not an alternative to lights.
It is also much slower to to kill things with lights now, Whilst that is no worse than other missile boats, what is a problem is you have no spares on board (well you can but then insufficient heavies and sentries.).
Regarding lights and heavies, they get popped and damaged easier too, so without spares, I now find it really unpleasant dealing with small rats.

I like the increased damage overall, but it really is a much less pleasant ship to use, I know that is subjective, but that is what leaves a lasting impression. It also now feels it requires far more "management" Just to function, and even more to use efficiently, and that is NOT an improvement.

My initial impressions on Sisi have unfortunately been confirmed on the live server, and are really making me question whether I wish to continue using it. There is more damage available, but I find the time waiting for rats to come into range, moving towards them, unmatched ranges between drone and missile, handling loss and damage of drones,wastes that, and all of these factors,make me think that the ship has had it's day and it is time to use one of my others.

Before all the cries from the trolls that I am doing it wrong, you are quite possibly correct, and I do not care.

I will just do it wrong in a better ship. This one is no longer the most suitable for me.

I will wait a little to see if the reaction to the changes, has some effect and either an improvement to heavy drone tracking, and hit points or a part restoration of drone bay with the bonus to light drones, is restored in some way.

But it will sit in the hanger in the meantime.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3056 - 2014-06-05 03:45:57 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
But it will sit in the hanger in the meantime.

Pickup a Barghest and you'll never look back.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Goeller
Magister Mortalis.
#3057 - 2014-06-05 07:01:41 UTC
Harvey James wrote:
Mach still has more speed than bc's do why? also why so many lows slots?

Angels are still bland omni tanked .. hardly worth buying over minnie ships ... you;'re basically ignoring feedback here

sentries on Rattle really???? .... doesn't it defeat the point of the whole line moving away from gallente sentry overlaps????
Nightmare still only has 4 turrets seems very generous too me... 150% AB bonus seems a bit high

perhaps serpentis ships should lose some dronebay ... also vindi has tracking not falloff bonus consistency here is awful...

why do players like you insist on having a ship play a dedicated role, is it to seem like you know what your doing? None of your input makes any sense please stop.

What do you mean "sentries on rattle really????"
yes, obviously. The bonuses it had before seemed adequate. It is the same ship (thankfully) just different bonuses.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3058 - 2014-06-05 07:23:33 UTC
Dimitri Zaitsev wrote:
Baltec1,

Not a matter of HP. It's just much easier to kill two sentry drones instead of five. It's about targeting two instead of five.

Because locking three more targets is so hard...
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3059 - 2014-06-05 07:27:38 UTC
Alxea wrote:
Rattlesnake looked good until I saw it only has 50 bandwidth. WTF is this? Rattlesnake nerf? Useless all Grista ships are now. Huge nerf to dronebays. Nice damage and HP for the drones but can't use 5 drones and the drone bay was reduced by more then 50%. Pirate ship drone boat nerf of 2014. Clear you all hate drones. Less drones in space the better is BS!

You launch two heavy drones with the firepower and tank of 7.5 heavies. You no not need more than 50 bandwidth. Equally you do not need 125 m3 of dronebay per flight of heavies so you dont get the 400m3 of dronebay.
Priestess Lin
Darkfall Corp
#3060 - 2014-06-05 11:20:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Priestess Lin
Goeller wrote:

yes, obviously. The bonuses it had before seemed adequate. It is the same ship (thankfully) just different bonuses.

How could these bonuses possibly seem "adequate"? It should have gained the DPS increase it needed via more slots instead of a crappy, specialized damage bonus. Instead we have loss of missile velocity bonus and loss of 400m3 drone bay and severely diminished capabilities of drones. The bonuses it had before were much better than the ones it has now.

Its actually not the same ship, torpedoes are no longer viable without missile velocity bonus and it no longer has the creative possibilities that a 400m3 drone bay allows. Its ability to deal with fast moving frigates and cruisers is greatly diminished unless it gimps itself with small launchers, and if it does that, it becomes very weak to anything larger than a cruiser since 1 drone is infinitely easier to deal with than 5.

The way to play the Rattlesnake has changed drastically. It was so easy to play before, using bonused light and medium drones to clean up all the cruisers and frigates and blowing up battleships quickly and easily with torpedoes. Now those roles for its weapon systems are forcibly reversed, and with tendency for heavy drones to attack whatever you are and having to count missiles due to loss of missile velocity, it becomes a micro-managing pain in the ass for what amounts to less real DPS than you would get with other pirate faction battleships and less versatility.

This isn't the pirate faction battleship we trained for at all. What reason was there that this ship needed to be changed so drastically? CCP Rise needs to be replaced.

When discussing weaknesses of heavy drones vs fast frigates: baltec1- " A thanatos with a flight of geckos killed a bomber gang while AFK. So yea, they track frigates just fine." https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4678049#post4678049