These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2801 - 2014-05-26 14:22:44 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Well if all the rattlesnake has to do, is apply it's mighty DPS without any consideration as to how, then that of course would be correct.
Unfortunately, things are a little more complex than that.

All missile ships have a problem with applying DPS, last time I looked the Raven, SNI RNI where still very popular ships, so there should be a way to counter that.

that probably needs some puzzle time, maybe offer a drone navigation for a TP. it will probably come down to switching your fits a little bit more to missiles to get the optimal result.

Captain Finklestein
Doomheim
#2802 - 2014-05-26 14:30:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Finklestein
The DPS is so mighty you can lose 25% of your paper DPS and still be applying 750dps. With that absurd tank.

If you tank to a sane level instead and fit some more damage mods, you'll close in on 1200dps or perhaps top it. You can now lose 37.5% of your paper DPS and still hit 750dps.

This is not a Vindicator which needs to be humping the other ship either. Nor is it doing just two types of damage. You are projecting this DPS at 35km minimum and can push 100km with selectable damage type. You maintain excellent DPS even with Wardens.

It's just more financially viable for me.

Aranea TheMoonstone
Doomheim
#2803 - 2014-05-26 14:34:19 UTC
Aken Thrawn wrote:
I spent a lot of time skilling up for my Rattlesnake, because I like missiles and sentries and the flexibility of a huge drone bay.

I could cope with the drone changes but the drone bay reduction simply kills the ship for me.

With all the time it takes to skill up for a BS you should be careful when you mess with it.

Who's using Rattlesnake now? Do you have a player profile for who flies that ship?

Keep that profile in mind when you work on the new specs, please.

same for me too.
playing eve since about 2 months and was skilling towards the Rattlesnake from beginning.
but with these changes the ship is useless.

why do you give it sentry drones damage modifier, when it can no longer carry them??
why fighting with only 2 drones on a droneboat !!!???
it doesnt make any sense to me.

so then i dont have any more reason to skill my charakter further, cause no ship seems to fit my needs.

why all other pirate ships getting better, or at least not worse,
and the droneboat can no longer carry drones any effective way??

i realy hope you reconsider the changes on the Rattlesnake, because they are quite honest bullshit.
excuse me, i say what i think.
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2804 - 2014-05-26 15:01:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Barton Breau
Captain Finklestein wrote:

This is pre-patch (today) while using a Gnosis with T2 links. Missile skills at IV or V, perfect drone and tanking skills. Battleship skills only at III/IV Gal/Cal.

With these skills post-patch we get 20% more drone DPS and 40% more missile DPS + 1 extra hardpoint

Drones: 521 dps ---> 625 dps
Missiles: 230 dps --> 402 dps

Total: 750 dps --> 1027 dps

Post-patch this Rattler fit does 1027dps, tanks 1405dps, buffers 100k EHP, and sustains 15 minutes of capacitor with everything active. It is fit with a propulsion mod (off) and the deadspace modules both cost just 50m or so each.
With max skills and a T3 booster the numbers become absurd, and go beyond reason if you plug in the right set in implants slots 1-5.

I am thus largely confused why anyone is disappointed with the Rattle changes.

Apart from 1027 being rather low, as you have probably reused low slots and no way of knowing whther you mean paper or applied missile dps, where does the 20% drone damage increase come from ?
Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#2805 - 2014-05-26 15:11:31 UTC
Aranea TheMoonstone wrote:
Aken Thrawn wrote:
I spent a lot of time skilling up for my Rattlesnake, because I like missiles and sentries and the flexibility of a huge drone bay.

I could cope with the drone changes but the drone bay reduction simply kills the ship for me.

With all the time it takes to skill up for a BS you should be careful when you mess with it.

Who's using Rattlesnake now? Do you have a player profile for who flies that ship?

Keep that profile in mind when you work on the new specs, please.

same for me too.
playing eve since about 2 months and was skilling towards the Rattlesnake from beginning.
but with these changes the ship is useless.

why do you give it sentry drones damage modifier, when it can no longer carry them??
why fighting with only 2 drones on a droneboat !!!???
it doesnt make any sense to me.

so then i dont have any more reason to skill my charakter further, cause no ship seems to fit my needs.

why all other pirate ships getting better, or at least not worse,
and the droneboat can no longer carry drones any effective way??

i realy hope you reconsider the changes on the Rattlesnake, because they are quite honest bullshit.
excuse me, i say what i think.

I am confused as to your issue.

If your goal is sentries, the new Rattler will be fine. The 2 it puts out will perform like the 5 it used to put out. The issues with the Rattlesnake are with the loss of flexibility in using any other drones, and increased vunerability to disrupting the drones or focued fire on a single drone.

If you fit a post patch Rattlesnake exactly as you would a prepatch one the only real issue you will run into is range on torps. All other fits will perform as well or better than they do now.

You probably should adjust that fit to accomodate the changes by either using rapid heavies or rapid lights to better deal with smaller ships as your lighter drones lost their bonus, but thats not much of an issue either way if you are competant.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#2806 - 2014-05-26 15:13:28 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Well if all the rattlesnake has to do, is apply it's mighty DPS without any consideration as to how, then that of course would be correct.

Notably, it is not forbidden from using target painters, and drones are getting buffed.

You have no legitimate complaints. Zero.

The only good one is that the ship needs CPU, but that's been drowned out by you and Fabulous Rod's alt army crying about light drones for 200 pages.
Quote:

It is important to remember that an opposing viewpoint does not make the poster Stupid, ignorant, or just unable to "Get EvE"

Unless you claim to have purchased a faction battleship for the light drones. Because that is stupid, ignorant, and shows that said person does not "get EVE".

Quote:
There are plenty of reasons why the rattlesnake is not exciting or pleasing players.
Whether you accept them or not does not make them invalid, or their points of view worthless.

Except that most of your side's reasons are outright and obvious lies. Much like Fab's attempt to claim the Rattlesnake changes should be reversed because he thinks Torpedos take up more cargo space than they actually do.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#2807 - 2014-05-26 15:15:59 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Wait.. are people unhappy about the power of the rattler after these changes?

What? Surely I'm misunderstanding something here..

Well, there are 150 pages discussing why.

You want a simple Precis?

Drone subsystem has been altered which does not take account of the complexities, advantages, and disadvantages of drone mechanics.

The balance and application has been changed, but is balanced, if different, on the Cruiser and frigate, it fails miserably to achieve those goals on the Rattlesnake.

I do not think there is anything in there for a troll to selectively quote.

Other than that if you are interested, have a read back, but you will probably need a shower afterwards to feel clean.What?

It keeps its tank but gets a massive dps boost? A post patch Rattler pulls like 1300 dps with gardes and cruise O.o. I really don't get how that is not good enough...

Why does everyone keep acting like missile application is horrendous? Or is this because it can't use bonused medium/lights to kill mission rats? Surely you can just mjd away and blap them with gardes?

The new Rattler is a complete monster when you consider the tank/gank it puts out in the right circumstances. Might be bad at lvl4's though? But lets be honest, lvl 4's already have an entire class of lolships designed for them (Marauders) they don't need the pirate BS's too.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2808 - 2014-05-26 15:20:52 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Why does everyone keep acting like missile application is horrendous? Or is this because it can't use bonused medium/lights to kill mission rats? Surely you can just mjd away and blap them with gardes?

The new Rattler is a complete monster when you consider the tank/gank it puts out in the right circumstances. Might be bad at lvl4's though? But lets be honest, lvl 4's already have an entire class of lolships designed for them (Marauders) they don't need the pirate BS's too.

Cruise application against a bs that is burning towards you at 300m/s is bad, this is what you get when sniping.

If you allow the said bs to orbit you, then you get just a ~50% penalty without tps and rigs with furys, it gets much better.

While its far from bad overall, i settled for navy cruises and a 'conservative' 1300 dps @100km in my plans.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#2809 - 2014-05-26 15:26:56 UTC
Barton Breau wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Cruise application against a bs that is burning towards you at 300m/s is bad, this is what you get when sniping.

If you allow the said bs to orbit you, then you get just a ~50% penalty without tps and rigs with furys, it gets much better.

While its far from bad overall, i settled for navy cruises and a 'conservative' 1300 dps @100km in my plans.

How does a bs burn at 300m/s o.o

I'm quite sure cruise missiles hit BC's perfectly with one TP.. So they should do fine against bs? Unless possibly if you're talking fury, i didn't check the application on fury.. But honestly you can never really use high damage ammo against anything thats not webbed/tped on any weapon system.. I'd think that with the Rattlers manly inate tank you could put a lot of midslots into application and have it in spades.

Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2810 - 2014-05-26 15:35:26 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Barton Breau wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

How does a bs burn at 300m/s o.o

I'm quite sure cruise missiles hit BC's perfectly with one TP.. So they should do fine against bs? Unless possibly if you're talking fury, i didn't check the application on fury.. But honestly you can never really use high damage ammo against anything thats not webbed/tped on any weapon system.. I'd think that with the Rattlers manly inate tank you could put a lot of midslots into application and have it in spades.

Rats, rats do if they are far away.

Also i was talking extreme, furys without rigs and without tp, ofc you can select what you desire, tp helps, but ofc 2x tp and full rigs would be ideal.
M Key
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#2811 - 2014-05-26 16:20:11 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

The new heavies are just fine at smashing frigates. The damage from a glancing hit from a gecko or pair of normal heavies is enough to one shot normal frigates and take an elite frigate out in only 2-3 of said "weak" hits. Normal hits are quite possible, and brutal overkill. Non-elite cruisers just melt as they are quite easy for the new heavies to hit and have no EHP. The only thing slowing cruiser killing is the need for the drone to pop out of MWD and start the orbit. Contrast that to mere light drones that will need to grind on a cruiser for a bit, and still has the dropping out of MWD issue as any other non-sentry drone.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#2812 - 2014-05-26 17:07:02 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

It'll rip lvels 4's a new one, plus there is space for two painters. Rigs will be rigor, naturally.

As has been said, it's bringing the DPS of a full gank fleet typhoon, except it ALSO tanks like a boss - something the typhoon cannot boast.
epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#2813 - 2014-05-26 18:40:50 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
As the posts and discussions developed, other ideas and suggestions formed.

The Gila under testing has shown the medium hero drones are functioning well and most have had their concerns relieved.
That does not apply to the rattlesnake.

Much discussion took place regarding the application of ishtar like bonuses to heavy drones to make up for their shortcomings and to ensure that damage was applied. The heavy drones are still not a good choice for many conditions.
Sentries were felt to be disappointing in that they did not receive any bonus in any way to make up for the deficiencies introduced by the Hero drone concept. The idea has real validity but withdrawing 50% of your DPS from the field rather than 20% does need some balancing factor in either application or damage. The suggestions, were for increased DPS and hitpoints to balance this, 350-400% was suggested by some as this would account for the time the sentries were off the field or being redeployed and recommencing attack.

My preference is at the lower end of the range, to preserve the current sentry application but I do understand the desire for them to have a little more to encourage their use.

An alternative to heavy drone use and bonuses was in giving the rattlesnake medium Gila class drones with appropriate damage levels to account for them being a battleship weapon. This would remove the effects of the inherent weaknesses of heavy drones, which still are not in a good place.

This is my personal preference.

In this proposal from cCp Rise, the drone weapons system is out of balance, and as users people have attempted to point out where the balance is lacking, and offer possible solutions that will allow his needs as a developer, CCP's needs as a company and the player bases / users needs too. Multiple suggestions for resolution have been posted, CCP rise hopefully will pick the best.
I believe that is the point of the feedback forum.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2814 - 2014-05-26 20:34:38 UTC
I already mentioned it somewhere, but, in the end if you want to play pve as pvp, its a choice, not a requirement, and you could have more fun doing actual pvp.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#2815 - 2014-05-26 20:58:20 UTC
Why do bears keep talking about ships like how good they are at lvl 4 missions is actually relevant?

What matters in balance is how balanced ships are against each other.. Not how good they are at doing trivially easy missions.. Maybe if this game actually had PVE content that stretched the limits of these ships it could be sort of relevant.. but it doesnt.. All these balance changes affect is how fast you can grind the missions.. Which is just so unimportant in the grand scheme of things..

epicurus ataraxia
Illusion of Solitude.
Illusion of Solitude
#2816 - 2014-05-26 22:08:59 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
Ok lets look at what is required to make the rattlesnake currently make the best use of it's potential abilities.
Starting with cruise missiles.
It will require 5 T2 launchers as precision cruise is an absolute requirement. Without an application bonus.
Minimum two rig slots to Rigors.
Reduce from two to one Drone link augmentor.

Low slots 3 ballistic control units 3 drone damage amplifiers.

Mid slots two target painters, two omnidirectionals. Possibly one web.

Right so that clearly will not work, there is no way to give it a half decent tank with all those slots filled.

So It cannot apply the damage quoted, without crippling it's legendary tank.

When one actually dials the fits in and tries all the options, the most realistic fittings that retain the tank, are cruise missile biased.
With the drones playing a very insignificant role.

Overall, there are far better missile ships than this when biasing missiles.
The Dominix is a far better T1 drone boat when biasing for drones.
There are far far better ships full stop, non pirate ships, when trying to fit it as a hybrid. Just because hybrid sounds a nice idea, does not mean average or below is an acceptable outcome.
Which funnily enough is exactly the same situation as we are currently in.

So in summation, 5/10 missing a golden opportunity to get it right, this time, and not try again in 3 more years.

If it was a T1 battleship this might be acceptable, but it is not, it is a Pirate vessel, this is meant to mean something.

Onictus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2817 - 2014-05-26 22:17:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Onictus
epicurus ataraxia wrote:
Ok lets look at what is required to make the rattlesnake currently make the best use of it's potential abilities.
It will require 5 T2 launchers as precision cruise is an absolute requirement. Without an application bonus.
Minimum two rig slots to Rigors.
Reduce from two to one Drone link augmentor.

Low slots 3 ballistic control units 3 drone damage amplifiers.

Mid slots two target painters, two omnidirectionals. Possibly one web.

Right so that clearly will not work, there is no way to give it a half decent tank with all those slots filled.

So It cannot apply the damage quoted, without crippling it's legendary tank.

When one actually dials the fits in and tries all the options, the most realistic fittings that retain the tank, are cruise missile biased.
With the drones playing a very insignificant role.

Overall, there are far better missile ships than this when biasing missiles.
The Dominix is a far better T1 drone boat when biasing for drones.
There are far far better ships full stop, non pirate ships, when trying to fit it as a hybrid. Just because hybrid sounds a nice idea, does not mean average or below.
Which funnily enough is exactly the same situation as we are currently in.

So in summation, 5/10 missing a golden opportunity to get it right, this time, and not try again in 3 more years.

Wait what?

Two rigors AND two painters? On top of precisions? God why.

I'd agree with the lows and the highs....3/3 DDA/Rigors. The rest would take some tinkering around and I can't be arsed to download EFT to get the Kronos files (I use eveHQ). I would be a case of balancing projection, application, and tank for me.

You may not be able to passive tank it, but I can't stand passive tanks anyway.
KaDa en Bauldry
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2818 - 2014-05-26 22:18:03 UTC
epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Disagreeing here, I've used Cruise missiles a lot (flew ravens as well), never felt a need for precision missiles.
T2 yes, for the added ammo capacity (was it?).

• Minimum 2 rigors
  • Agreed, in fact I'd (and will) go with 3.
    Didn't have anything better to put on the 'snake for gank anyways.

• -1 DLA : no question there

• Lows full of damage mods - aye

• Mids : Web is overkill, 2 omni is a "must", 1 faction TP should be enough, is still more than what most people used till now with unbonused cruise damage and no rigors.
  • You forgot the LMJD, that's also -1 slot.
    Still, overall 3 slot tank is enough I think, it's "legendary tank" (it is legendary, no sarcasm there) is an overkill in most situations.
    One of those 3 slots is a cap booster for me, and I might need to use a Co-Processor in the lows, cutting down the damage modules to 5.
    Will need extensive testing.

Don't forget about ship insurance before undocking. Don't forget about copy-paste saving before posting.

epicurus ataraxia
    Illusion of Solitude.
    Illusion of Solitude
    #2819 - 2014-05-26 22:23:05 UTC
    KaDa en Bauldry wrote:
    epicurus ataraxia wrote:

Disagreeing here, I've used Cruise missiles a lot (flew ravens as well), never felt a need for precision missiles.
    T2 yes, for the added ammo capacity (was it?).

• Minimum 2 rigors
  • Agreed, in fact I'd (and will) go with 3.
    Didn't have anything better to put on the 'snake for gank anyways.

• -1 DLA : no question there

• Lows full of damage mods - aye

• Mids : Web is overkill, 2 omni is a "must", 1 faction TP should be enough, is still more than what most people used till now with unbonused cruise damage and no rigors.
  • You forgot the LMJD, that's also -1 slot.
    Still, overall 3 slot tank is enough I think, it's "legendary tank" (it is legendary, no sarcasm there) is an overkill in most situations.
    One of those 3 slots is a cap booster for me, and I might need to use a Co-Processor in the lows, cutting down the damage modules to 5.
    Will need extensive testing.

Yes, the example was to show that the claimed overpowered DPS actually could not exist when application, tank, and hybrid were all sought at the same time.

The end result will be where the ship becomes a missile boat, with drones regulated to a minor supporting role.
    The problem is that other missile boats just do it better. Far far better.

Kaarous Aldurald
    Black Hydra Consortium.
    #2820 - 2014-05-26 22:25:13 UTC
    Quote:

The end result will be where the ship becomes a missile boat, with drones regulated to a minor supporting role.
    The problem is that other missile boats just do it better. Far far better.

Which missile boat has fully bonused sentries?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.