These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Mare Nardieu
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2761 - 2014-05-22 16:53:16 UTC
One of the reasons i was a little upset about the changes. Ive got like 12 geckos and have been loving using two of them in my Rattlesnake. Also I like your and Joe Boirele's quotes
Kueyen
Angharradh's Aegis
#2762 - 2014-05-22 16:54:42 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
It's basically getting it's dps doubled.
Hyperbole. It's getting 1 additional launcher, and 2.5 more IF using thermal or kinetic missiles. Hardly a doubling of the existing 4 launchers + 7.5 heavy drones damage. And there are plenty that agree that that +3.5 launchers is balanced by the loss of light and medium drone bonusses. Thus, the Rattlesnake is changing, but it's barely getting better.

*Snip* Removed off topic part of the post. ISD Ezwal.

Until all are free...

Topher Basquette Dusch-shur
Montana Freedom Fighters
#2763 - 2014-05-22 19:40:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Topher Basquette Dusch-shur
Edit: Post was mean. I will still leave the important part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics
Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#2764 - 2014-05-23 05:09:59 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Mare Nardieu wrote:
The only point i could see for light drones is if your heavies cant hit frigs, other then that I haven't used lights on a Rattle since my sentries can take out a frig at 20 to 90 km easily and my heavies can track them fairly decently as well.

In addition, they recently released a superheavy drone called the Gecko. It uses 50mb of bandwidth, hits as hard as two Ogre IIs, is faster than a Valkyrie, and eats frigates like popcorn.

The Gecko changes drone balance about as much as the Gnosis changes Battlecruiser balance, unless blueprints start becoming available. They are one off toys, and with what we know at present when they are gone, they are gone. I suppose they might be fun flown out of an Eos, with maybe a couple of mediums and a light to back them up, and out of the Rattlesnake where their Omni-damage and application do well with the goofy weak 275% bonus.

It's also enjoying the stats it will have after the other drones get adjusted, so may not look quite as good in comparison when that happens. Geckos will still be impressive, but impressive toys are still just toys.

Spc One
The Chodak
Void Alliance
#2765 - 2014-05-23 05:24:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Spc One
Mike Voidstar wrote:
It's also enjoying the stats it will have after the other drones get adjusted, so may not look quite as good in comparison when that happens. Geckos will still be impressive, but impressive toys are still just toys.

I agree, i hope ccp releases a blueprint or create a way to obtain them more easily because drones die very very quickly, especially if you disconnect.
At this rate all geckos will be gone pretty soon.
So if people get a blueprints for next "event" instead of drone this will be move viable solution.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

In addition, they recently released a super heavy drone called the Gecko. It uses 50mb of bandwidth, hits as hard as two Ogre IIs, is faster than a Valkyrie, and eats frigates like popcorn.

Yea but two Ogre II's do more of same type damage, so for example 2 ogres do more thermal damage to serpentis NPC's than 1 gecko, because you get split damage on gecko, because of this serpentis npc's will die more quickly to 2 Ogre II's.
Mike Voidstar
#2766 - 2014-05-23 05:29:29 UTC
Mare Nardieu wrote:
RATTLESNAKE

Gallente Battleship Bonus:
10% bonus to kinetic and thermal missile damage (was 10% drone damage and hitpoints)

Caldari Battleship Bonus:
4% bonus to all shield resistances

Role Bonus:
275% bonus to heavy and sentry drone damage and hitpoints (was 50% bonus to Cruise missile and Torpedo max velocity)

Slot layout: 6H, 7M, 6L; 0 turrets, 5 launchers(+1)
Fittings: 10000 PWG, 710 CPU
Defense (shields / armor / hull) : 12750 / 8940(-358) / 9960
Capacitor (amount / recharge / cap per second) : 5350(+38) / 1154000ms / 4.59
Mobility (max velocity / agility / mass / align time): 94 / .128 / 99300000 / 18.45s
Drones (bandwidth / bay): 50(-75) / 175(-225)
Targeting (max targeting range / Scan Resolution / Max Locked targets): 75km / 100 / 7
Sensor strength: 30
Signature radius: 450(-10)

Is it just me or does the idea of lowering the Drone Bandwidth form 125 to 50 and giving the Rattlesnake a role bonus of 275% bonus dmg and HP to Heavy and Sentry drones seem like a kick in the pants. Unless I have missed some other post about heavies and sentries getting a Bandwidth reduction that still means that we could only deploy 2 Heavy drones or sentries at one time. The fact that the Rattlesnake is getting one more launcher slot doesn't even seem to make this a fair deal IMO,

As far as damage is concerned, this has zero difference in paper DPS. It does have some other implications that leave it an overall nerf to the drone system. On the lighter hulls this was compensated by a 60% increase in drone DPS, but for some reason on the Rattlesnake they have (unwisely, IMO) chosen to leave the drone system weakened.

With drones condensed from 5 to 2, you have an increased vulnerability to disruption. Where applying ECM to drones is generally a futile gesture, it now removes a healthy chunk of DPS. Heavy and Sentry drones do not have exceptionally low sensor strength, but unlike the sensors on your ship you cannot improve this in any way. Other forms of disruption are equally problematic, for instance simply webbing and kiting the superdrones is much more effective than on standard drone ships.

It's also now more effective to simply shoot and destroy the drones. While they are individually harder to destroy, the bonus they get to HP is no where near enough to discourage someone from taking the extra few shots to kill one. If anything, it's now more efficient to kill them as you don't waste as much damage from overkill. It's a small thing, but on the battleship scale, the superdrone concept just dies by inches.

It also takes a hit in application. Since you no longer get a bonus to smaller drones, the versatility of the system suffers. The ship makes up for this in part by allowing any size launcher to benefit from that bonus, but then you lose out on damage from missiles as well, on a weapon system that cannot change scale on the fly the way drones do.

The idea is fine, and on the lighter hulls shows real promise of being downright awesome. Leaving the role bonus at 275% is just too weak on the battleship level however. Breaking even on performance while imposing the added downsides of condensing from 5 to 2 is an overall nerf.
Spc One
The Chodak
Void Alliance
#2767 - 2014-05-23 05:40:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Spc One
Mike Voidstar wrote:

I agree, i hope ccp releases a blueprint or create a way to obtain them more easily because drones die very very quickly, especially if you disconnect.
At this rate all geckos will be gone pretty soon.
So if people get a blueprints for next "event" instead of drone this will be move viable solution.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

In addition, they recently released a super heavy drone called the Gecko. It uses 50mb of bandwidth, hits as hard as two Ogre IIs, is faster than a Valkyrie, and eats frigates like popcorn.

Yea but two Ogre II's do more of same type damage, so for example 2 ogres do more thermal damage to serpentis NPC's than 1 gecko, because you get split damage on gecko, because of this serpentis npc's will die more quickly to 2 Ogre II's.

Also you have to know that Ogre II's get a bonus from specialization and 2 Ogre II's do more damage than 1 gecko, especially with level 5 specialization.

I tested new rattlesnake with gecko and gecko dies very fast, especially in blockade (Sansha) where npc's are at like 55km away and all npc's aggro poor drone.
Lol
XMaxan
The Legion of X
#2768 - 2014-05-23 10:48:33 UTC
I believe that the new RattleSnake needs more drones with a lower buff.
XMaxan
The Legion of X
#2769 - 2014-05-23 18:54:43 UTC
Can we at least see 25m3 more drone bay on Rattlesnake?
Mike Voidstar
#2770 - 2014-05-23 19:03:30 UTC
I would think we would see a 400% role bonus on drones first. ever so slightly less DPS, and keeps the 2 superdrone theme.

However, as the thread got turned into a cesspit of whining about just adding a slot and some fittings the Dev's have not been back in here except to delete small books worth of rant posting. I doubt we will see any changes at all at this point.
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2771 - 2014-05-23 19:33:20 UTC
IMO, the devs are quite happy that they have created the perfect superior drone boat that does more damage with missiles than drones, with an added benefit of interesting fitting choices due to lack of slots and/or cpu.
Fabulous Rod
Darkfall Corp
#2772 - 2014-05-24 00:20:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Fabulous Rod
With the missile velocity bonus Torpedoes currently an excellent choice for the Rattlesnake since torpedo launchers launch faster than cruise missiles and defender missiles have less effect against them. . They also take up much less volume then cruise missiles and destroy battleships much faster then cruise missiles. Bonused light and medium drones are excellent at killing fast targets and ships that are spread far apart, especially when one wants to remain on the move.

Its a shame that the Rattlesnake is unnecessarily losing its missile velocity bonus AND bonuses to all its drones in addition to killing its glorious 400m3 drone bay. Sucks having a specialized damage bonus as well. Not what the Rattlesnake needed.
Elisk Skyforge
State War Academy
#2773 - 2014-05-24 11:59:17 UTC
We can has better CPU for Rattlesnake please? because +1 launcher! Thanks
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#2774 - 2014-05-24 13:11:22 UTC
As usual epicurus completely ignores anything to do with the Super Drone concept.

The drone weapon system is, all things considered, really overpowered. It can have damage application at any size level, unlike any and every other battleship weapon platform. It can also have selectable damage, and is immune to most ewar and neuts as well.

To counterbalance this, drones have two weak points.

Some of them have a travel time, and they can be destroyed.

But the Super Drone mechanic is a huge step in mitigating one of those weaknesses with the enormous hitpoint bonus. That cannot, and must not come without a cost.

In the Rattlesnake, that cost is light and medium drone bonuses.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sweet Times
Riptide Riot
#2775 - 2014-05-24 14:09:31 UTC
I hope people are not forgeting that the gecko after the patch will loose a fair share of its dps due to the drop in dps from the drone interface boost from 20% to 10%
Sweet Times
Riptide Riot
#2776 - 2014-05-24 14:56:05 UTC
over all looking at the rattler due to the severe nerf to its available choics now you just put a ship that was on the scrap heap and buried it 6 feet under
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2777 - 2014-05-24 15:19:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Barton Breau
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
As usual epicurus completely ignores anything to do with the Super Drone concept.

The drone weapon system is, all things considered, really overpowered. It can have damage application at any size level, unlike any and every other battleship weapon platform. It can also have selectable damage, and is immune to most ewar and neuts as well.

But the Super Drone mechanic is a huge step in mitigating one of those weaknesses with the enormous hitpoint bonus. That cannot, and must not come without a cost.

Debatable, consider:
- can we take the ewar immunity as a net advantage if the damage is comparable to auto targeting missiles?
- can we take the ewar immunity as a net advantage if webs completely neut one type of drone weapon and the other type comes pre-webbed?
- can we take the damage size application as a net advantage if it also incorporates size damage adjustment?
- does destructible + lower damage + (neutable or static) + less choice of ships <= (selectable damage or nearly selectable damage) + limited ewar resistance ?

EDIT: and im in no way saying the rattler will be bad, or that the superdrone concept is bad, they are just meh all things considered for this ship - "increase your drone damage by training another weapon system" - which seems to be the thing this ship will be good at, with a nearly 50/50 split of adequate damage of both systems
Kubera Vaisravana
Pirates That Don't Do Anything
#2778 - 2014-05-24 15:30:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Kubera Vaisravana
Quote:
a nearly 50/50 split of adequate damage of both systems
My numbers showed missiles making up fully 3/5ths of the rattlesnake damage now. Hardly seems even.

Although, admittedly, that's before faction drone damage mods make an appearance.
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2779 - 2014-05-24 15:42:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Barton Breau
Kubera Vaisravana wrote:
Quote:
a nearly 50/50 split of adequate damage of both systems
My numbers showed missiles making up fully 3/5ths of the rattlesnake damage now. Hardly seems even.

You have some odd numbers then (or me ofc :) ), the split is at best 60/40 if you want to really really use 2x tp to make furys work and use wardens, or i am getting worse at math.

wardens - 612 dps
2x ogre - 840dps
furys - 879dps
torps - 751dps

EDIT: faction ddas are 33-47dps in this case
Mike Voidstar
#2780 - 2014-05-24 17:18:32 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

You would be correct, *if* the bonus had followed the pattern that the lighter hulls established by giving an actual large buff to the drones.

The Rattlesnake does not do that. Killing a single superlight from the Worm is about as hard as killing the Worm itself. Killing a supermedium from the Gila is like taking out an entire flight of standard mediums. Killing a superheavy is like killing a couple of heavies, and getting the same benefit from it--- the second drone isnt putting out a whole flights' worth of damage on its own.

The Rattlesnake gets almost zero benefit from its superdrone bonus, but suffers all of its penalty.