These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Pirate Faction Battleships

First post First post First post
Author
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2321 - 2014-05-08 20:19:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Barton Breau
Mike Voidstar wrote:

I will say that High DPS is the new paradigm for this ship. The only real problem with what they are doing is in not raising the DPS higher on the drones.

I am afraid, that due to hysteria regarding pvp, this can be done only maybe on a marauder without hardpoints, without a dominix bonus and with a fixed increase of drone damagemod under bastion (lets say, +1.3, do the math).
Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#2322 - 2014-05-08 20:40:14 UTC
I don't see why.

I will grant you that with the way drone assist has evolved into use, the full 500% bonus the snake deserves would be a poor idea. a 400% bonus would be appropriate, or even the 275% they have now on sentries, and a 500% bonus on Heavies.

Working the HP bonus up separately from the DPS bonus is an option as well, as is done on the Gallente Frigates.
Sniper Smith
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#2323 - 2014-05-08 20:46:58 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Thread cleaned up as per the above rules. Please refrain from ad hominems and catfighting, and keep things constructive and on-topic.

Maybe if rather than cleaning up after the fact twice a day or so, you just ban/mute the people who keep causing you to be here, we might get a reduction in this nonsense. The ISD's must have deleted SEVERAL hundred posts by this point from about 3 people. Think about it.

And yes, Tach's need to be buffed.. the amount of Grid they require is absurd.. the only ships that can fit them properly are the ones that don't need a full rack.. Namely a Paladin, Bhaal and Nightmare. But this is another topic :)
Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2324 - 2014-05-08 21:15:20 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
I don't see why.

I will grant you that with the way drone assist has evolved into use, the full 500% bonus the snake deserves would be a poor idea. a 400% bonus would be appropriate, or even the 275% they have now on sentries, and a 500% bonus on Heavies.

Working the HP bonus up separately from the DPS bonus is an option as well, as is done on the Gallente Frigates.

Well, i was trying to be reasonable, not match the vindi 2k+ paper 15km dps at 50+km :)
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#2325 - 2014-05-08 21:47:12 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Quote:

4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

11. Discussion of forum moderation is prohibited.

The discussion of EVE Online forum moderation actions generally leads to flaming, trolling and baiting of our ISD CCL moderators. As such, this type of discussion is strictly prohibited under the forum rules. If you have questions regarding the actions of a moderator, please file a petition under the Community & Forums Category.

22. Post constructively.

Negative feedback can be very useful to further improve EVE Online provided that it is presented in a civil and factual manner. All users are encouraged to honestly express their feelings regarding EVE Online and how it can be improved. Posts that are non-constructive, insulting or in breach of the rules will be deleted regardless of how valid the ideas behind them may be. Users are also reminded that posting with a lack of content also constitutes non-constructive posting.

26. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued.

Thread cleaned up as per the above rules. Please refrain from ad hominems and catfighting, and keep things constructive and on-topic.

This thread lost any semblance of constructive, on topic about 80 pages back. The catfighting is about all that has kept it going at all. Just some do it with enough skill as to not have their inane pointless posts removed.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Mike Voidstar
#2326 - 2014-05-08 22:20:23 UTC
Barton Breau wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:
I don't see why.

Well, i was trying to be reasonable, not match the vindi 2k+ paper 15km dps at 50+km :)

It is not as bad as it would seem. While the drones dont have all that poor base sensor strength, there is no way to raise it. As there are now only two drones, or just one with a Geckho, you can easily counter the increased DPS with ecm. The Snake gets no tracking or range on the hull to make Gardes effective at medium ranges, so reaching out with their DPS will be costly.

Even with announced changes this summer drones will continue to have a poor selection of rigs, and no implants or boosters to push their performance up, so 3 DDA and maybe a sentry damage rig is it.

With the split system it has poor efficiency in fitting, with tank missiles and drones all competing for resources.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2327 - 2014-05-08 22:29:54 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
With the split system it has poor efficiency in fitting, with tank missiles and drones all competing for resources.

Agreed. It's going to be better with missiles, but not necessarily great at either drones or missiles (without at least compromising one of the weapons).

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#2328 - 2014-05-08 22:47:22 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:

Agreed. It's going to be better with missiles, but not necessarily great at either drones or missiles (without at least compromising one of the weapons).

With the exception of rigs, I don't think is necessarily true.

I imagine 1 DC2, 2 BCUs, 3 DDAs, as well as two drone hitpoint rigs and a Rigor will make it fairly deadly regardless of fitting Cruise Missiles or Rapid Heavies. The spare highslot is likely a neut or an armor repper.

Haven't tried the fitting yet, since I intend to have a crack at it once the faction DDAs hit the scene so I can see how tight the fitting is.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2329 - 2014-05-08 22:51:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

I imagine 1 DC2, 2 BCUs, 3 DDAs, as well as two drone hitpoint rigs and a Rigor will make it fairly deadly regardless of fitting Cruise Missiles or Rapid Heavies. The spare highslot is likely a neut or an armor repper.

Haven't tried the fitting yet, since I intend to have a crack at it once the faction DDAs hit the scene so I can see how tight the fitting is.

Except you eliminate a significant amount of EHP by utilizing your rig slots for drone durability and rigors.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#2330 - 2014-05-08 22:59:16 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Except you eliminate a significant amount of EHP by utilizing your rig slots for drone durability and rigors.

While you are correct, it's a Rattlesnake. The resist bonus, combined with a hefty amount of mid slots(even with a painter, point, and MJD it can still spare 4 mids for tank), can easily keep you in the fight.

Or if you want to fit it full tank, full drones, full missiles, or any mixture thereof, that can also easily be done, and is fairly well viable. The ship's versatility is quite frankly insane.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Barton Breau
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2331 - 2014-05-08 23:04:02 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Barton Breau wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:
I don't see why.

It is not as bad as it would seem. While the drones dont have all that poor base sensor strength, there is no way to raise it. As there are now only two drones, or just one with a Geckho, you can easily counter the increased DPS with ecm. The Snake gets no tracking or range on the hull to make Gardes effective at medium ranges, so reaching out with their DPS will be costly.

Even with announced changes this summer drones will continue to have a poor selection of rigs, and no implants or boosters to push their performance up, so 3 DDA and maybe a sentry damage rig is it.

Whos talking gardes, you propose ~1400dps from heavies + ~700 dps from missiles with the possibility to fit it on top of a 5 slot shield tank on a shield resist bonused ship, before any pvp consideration even comes in.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2332 - 2014-05-08 23:23:13 UTC
Barton Breau wrote:
Whos talking gardes, you propose ~1400dps from heavies + ~700 dps from missiles with the possibility to fit it on top of a 5 slot shield tank on a shield resist bonused ship, before any pvp consideration even comes in.

So what are you trying to say...? Lol

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2333 - 2014-05-09 00:55:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
After playing around with the Gecko for a few days I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer as excited about them as I once was. Here are the things I really like about the Gecko:

• It looks totally bad a**, and watching it fly and perform acrobatics is quite entertaining
• Matches the color scheme of the new Rattlesnake

These are the things I'm not ecstatic about:

• Cost; yes, it's free initially - but so is the first hit of crack cocaine... (seriously, c·o·c·a·i·n·e is on the ban list?)
• Damage application until you get into hull is abysmal
• It attracts NPC aggro like no other drone, and this means all the aggro in the new Rattlesnake
• While it's faster and more resilient, if you bury one 50km+ deep it's still hooped

Damage application is fine - it's chewing through the disadvantaged shield and armor layers that's time consuming. Sentries can (and do) lock much, much quicker and apply damage several magnitudes better. So while it appears to have a fairly good dps, it's very much a paper tiger. The only application I really see these excelling at is PvP and structures - and maybe that's their intended purpose.

What I really despise is only being able to field one of these - because that's a huge loss of dps when you have to recall it. Every other drone-based cruiser (with the exception of the Gila) has the ability to field two of these, lessening any dps loss. Speaking of the Gila, man are they getting hosed on this - they can't even field one! The Stratios gets 2 and even the Vigilant and Cynabal get 1!

This thing feels so gimicky...

Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#2334 - 2014-05-09 01:16:45 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
After playing around with the Gecko for a few days I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer as excited about them as I once was. Here are the things I really like about the Gecko:

• It looks totally bad a**, and watching it fly and perform acrobatics is quite entertaining
• Matches the color scheme of the new Rattlesnake

These are the things I'm not ecstatic about:

• Cost; yes, it's free initially - but so is the first hit of crack *******... (seriously, c·o·c·a·i·n·e is on the ban list?)
• Damage application until you get into hull is abysmal
• It attracts NPC aggro like no other drone, and this means all the aggro in the new Rattlesnake
• While it's faster and more resilient, if you bury one 50km+ deep it's still hooped

Damage application is fine - it's chewing through the disadvantaged shield and armor layers that's time consuming. Sentries can (and do) lock much, much quicker and apply damage several magnitudes better. So while it appears to have a fairly good dps, it's very much a paper tiger. The only application I really see these excelling at is PvP and structures - and maybe that's their intended purpose.

What I really despise is only being able to field one of these - because that's a huge loss of dps when you have to recall it. Every other drone-based cruiser (with the exception of the Gila) has the ability to field two of these, lessening any dps loss. Speaking of the Gila, man are they getting hosed on this - they can't even field one! The Stratios gets 2 and even the Vigilant and Cynabal get 1!

This thing feels so gimicky...

It's a gift. Don't look a gift drone in the bay.

I do wish there was an angel cartel version (in appearance)... I've found them to work nicely with my Mach.
Mike Voidstar
#2335 - 2014-05-09 01:21:21 UTC
Barton Breau wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Barton Breau wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:
I don't see why.

With Heavies you have the other drawbacks of drones, notably travel time though this is being partly addressed in the drone update, and the fact that they can be destroyed or individually disrupted with ECM a fair bit easier than the mother ship. They don't apply nearly as well to smaller targets, and with the competition in fitting they won't be getting much better at it. Although you *can* send them out 60km, it's probably not a good idea, especially if tackle is available to the enemy---at the current bonus level it will be trivial to pop one, and even at 500% it's not going to take long, though against NPC's they will be much more survivable.

Of course the Gecko seems gimmicky... it's a gimmick, like all the other anniversary presents. Mine are all stored in the Voidstar Museum of EVE history in Duripant with the rest of the holiday and anniversary stuff I have been granted. When BPC's start dropping, we can discuss the Gecko as the savior of Drone Kind.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2336 - 2014-05-09 01:28:46 UTC
Cassandra Aurilien wrote:

What's the expression... "Beware Guristas bearing gifts?" This feels more like a Trojan Horse...

Cassandra Aurilien
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#2337 - 2014-05-09 01:53:04 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Cassandra Aurilien wrote:

What's the expression... "Beware Guristas bearing gifts?" This feels more like a Trojan Horse...

Nah. It feels right. EVE anniversary gifts should be useful, but not OP, in my opinion.

They're nice to look at, fun to watch, while not destroying the game balance. That's good in my book.

Ravasta Helugo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2338 - 2014-05-09 02:02:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Ravasta Helugo
Mike Voidstar wrote:

With Heavies you have the other drawbacks of drones, notably travel time though this is being partly addressed in the drone update, and the fact that they can be destroyed or individually disrupted with ECM a fair bit easier than the mother ship. They don't apply nearly as well to smaller targets, and with the competition in fitting they won't be getting much better at it. Although you *can* send them out 60km, it's probably not a good idea, especially if tackle is available to the enemy---at the current bonus level it will be trivial to pop one, and even at 500% it's not going to take long, though against NPC's they will be much more survivable.

Of course the Gecko seems gimmicky... it's a gimmick, like all the other anniversary presents. Mine are all stored in the Voidstar Museum of EVE history in Duripant with the rest of the holiday and anniversary stuff I have been granted. When BPC's start dropping, we can discuss the Gecko as the savior of Drone Kind.

I think you're being a bit too harsh.

First of all, this drone deals nearly the same DPS as an equivalent bandwidth of Ogre II's, but has 30% better tracking, 33% faster orbit and much, much faster warp speed. All while having the durability of an equivalent bandwidth of Augmented Ogres.

It's almost the most damaging andalmost the fastest, super durable and all wrapped up in a wicked awesome skin with sick battle animations.

No, it's not OP. But I don't really care. It's still wicked awesome and I plan on using mine.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2339 - 2014-05-09 02:15:41 UTC
Ravasta Helugo wrote:
No, it's not OP. But I don't really care. It's still wicked awesome and I plan on using mine.

Try it and get back to us...

Shinzhi Xadi
Doomheim
#2340 - 2014-05-09 02:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Shinzhi Xadi
Xequecal wrote:

The Megathron has 8 lows and doesn't need fitting mods to fit a rull rack of rails, unlike all laser/artillery BS which need at least one. The Apocalypse needs THREE unless you use faction hardeners. That means it gets a minimum of +2 low slots over all of its armor tanking competitors, which of course more than makes up for having 1 less gun. A rail mega just completely outperforms all the beam laser and artillery BSes, and if for some reason you want to brawl close up, blasters are of course > *.

A rail Mega has superior DPS, range, tracking, speed, signature radius, scan resolution, and cap stability than even a navy armageddon with an identical fit, just swapping rails for tachyons and one heat sink for an RCU to actually fit the guns. The navy armageddon only wins on EHP, but that's obviously because it has 6000 more armor and 3000 more shield/structure as a faction BS.

Tempest needs a grid mod to fit artillery and is left with 8 low/rig slots to fit both tank and damage mods, the Megathron has 11.

It massively outperforms the Rokh at all of these stats at all ranges under 150km, and past that doesn't matter because they can probe a warpin on you in seconds. A mega with 2 MFS does more DPS at any range under 150km than a Rokh with three, all you have to do is go down one ammo type to get the same range. And since the Rokh needs an injector it's reduced to an 8-slot tank (counting rigs) while the Mega can run a 9-slot tank to compensate for the resist bonus, and then still have a sensor booster and tracking computer on top of that. Oh yeah, and it has half the signature radius of the Rokh.

The Maelstrom is the closest competition because it has high alpha, but its tank, dps, and tracking are vastly inferior and it has a gigantic signature which gets eaten up by bombers.

Why is anybody surprised at these facts? We know that CCP Rise rebalanced Gallente. They are his favorite faction. Of course he will do what he can to make sure they are the best, or as close to it as he can manage without drawing too much attention during the rebalance.

Mac Pro dual 6-core Xeon 3.06ghz, 24gig ecc ram, EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition, Intel SSD, OS X Yosemite and Windows 8.1 Pro.