These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: Giving Drones an Assist

First post First post
Author
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#81 - 2014-04-01 18:33:13 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:
Well and good I suppose. I can see where this could lay the groundwork for gettijg drones the attention they need, and certainly addresses many of the PvP shortcomings.

How about PvE? Drones still need some balance there. They get eaten constantly by the new hungry ai, with few to no tools to make the usable on a consistant basis as a primary weapon. Either significant upgrades to drone survivability are needed, or some sort of reliable system for managing npc aggro. I suppose making all drones radically cheaper so they are more in line with the cost of ammo would work too.



NPC AI needs more than that. carebears are now immune to tackle frigates, because the rats instantly kill them.
l0rd carlos
This Game Is Terrible
Warlords of the Deep
#82 - 2014-04-01 18:36:11 UTC
I like it.

Youtube Channel about Micro and Small scale PvP with commentary: Fleet Commentary by l0rd carlos

Desert Ice78
Gryphons of the Western Wind
#83 - 2014-04-01 18:38:46 UTC
Was excitedly expecting an long overdue update to the drone interface.

Was left surprisingly unsurprised.....

I am a pod pilot: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/DesertIce/POD.jpg

CCP Zulu: Came expecting a discussion about computer monitors, left confused.

Rena Monachica
Capital Hot Rods
#84 - 2014-04-01 18:38:54 UTC
Quote:

from the racial Drone Specialization skills that will now be required to use T2 sentries.


could we get more info on that? Please don´t tell me that a T2 Sentry needs Racial Skill V
PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#85 - 2014-04-01 18:40:16 UTC
The Warfish wrote:
I appreciate the thought CCP, but:

So, I am an RP *** and Aethetics *** who loves Amarr Drones.

Tell me....

...in what circumstances would it be worth it losing speed (vs. Minny Drones) or Damage (vs. Gallente Drones) to utilize the Amarr Drones after the fix?

Cause I'm still not seeing them as all that useful.

Drones have two jobs in EVE and two only: Kill Tackler Frigates (speed/tracking is king, use Minny Drones) and pure DPS (Damage Bonus is king, use Gallente Drones).

Why would I slow my anti-fast-**** drones down? Why would I lower my damage when damage is what counts?

/shrug, outside RP reasons, I don't see many switching to Amarr/Caldari drones tbqh, especially since most drone users and vets probably have Gall and Minn Drone spec to at least 4 if not 5, and Amarr/Caldari Spec not even trained.

A better idea would probably have been to make Gallente and Amarr equal all down the line (big tough slow DPS) and Caldari/Minny Drones equal (fast, accurate).

Then the choice comes down to damge type and purpose, with EM/Therm DPS and Kin/Explo Speed options.


For a mix of the two. It is now easier to decide on the spectrum which is more important, speed or DPS. If you want only dps, go Gallente, if you want only speed go Minmatar, if you want mostly speed go Amarr, and if you want mostly DPS go Caldari.

Not that hard.
l0rd carlos
This Game Is Terrible
Warlords of the Deep
#86 - 2014-04-01 18:40:17 UTC
Mike Voidstar wrote:

How about PvE? Drones still need some balance there. They get eaten constantly by the new hungry ai, with few to no tools to make the usable on a consistant basis as a primary weapon.


Huh? I very very rarely lose drones to npc. Most of the time it's my own fault.

Both full drones ship like Dominix and ships that use them as support like Machariel / Cyna have no trouble in level 4 sites and in lowsec DED sites.

Youtube Channel about Micro and Small scale PvP with commentary: Fleet Commentary by l0rd carlos

PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#87 - 2014-04-01 18:41:01 UTC
Rena Monachica wrote:
Quote:

from the racial Drone Specialization skills that will now be required to use T2 sentries.


could we get more info on that? Please don´t tell me that a T2 Sentry needs Racial Skill V


Likely just 1, as most weapon systems only require specialization 1 to use (see guns/missiles for examples)
TheButcherPete
Blackbase Incorporated
#88 - 2014-04-01 18:41:43 UTC
If this isn't an April Fool's joke, then I love you forever, CCP.

If it is, I hate you. >:(

also wtb: a drone UI from this decade

[b]THE KING OF EVE RADIO

If EVE is real, does that mean all of us are RMTrs?[/b]

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#89 - 2014-04-01 18:42:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
A surprising number of pilots are in full denial about the supercarrier changes citing the date this blog was published.

Maybe repost it tomorrow...

.

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#90 - 2014-04-01 18:43:19 UTC

Will Supers be able to utilize drone control units to achieve truly spectacular damage output with fighterbombers?
Or is this limited by drone bandwidth?
iskflakes
#91 - 2014-04-01 18:43:25 UTC
TheButcherPete wrote:
If this isn't an April Fool's joke, then I love you forever, CCP.

If it is, I hate you. >:(

also wtb: a drone UI from this decade


This changes are too sensible to be an april fools. They fix most of what's stupid about the current drone system.

..but that's also a reason it's more likely to be a joke :(

I want my subcap blending shield nyx :(

-

Phoenix Jones
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2014-04-01 18:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Phoenix Jones
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Grarr Dexx wrote:
So how about giving drone assist back to pirates in lowsec?


The opportunities for confusion about the crimewarch implications of actions (the pilot who assisted the drones would lose sec status and get gate guns without any direct action on their part) means this is not something we plan to change.

Drone assist will continue to be a mechanic that is somewhat limited in empire space, along with other mechanics such as bombs and bubbles.


All for change... Though would people really use amarr and caldari drones..?

Not to suggest change, but have you thought about making drones racial ship specific ( i know me and my changes, and warriors wouldnt be the default use for all ships.. Oh and ecm drones :-/...)

It still seems ships are somewhat locked into using minmatar and gallente damage drones.. Besides that though, the changes look good..

Yaay!!!!

The Warfish
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#93 - 2014-04-01 18:46:46 UTC
PinkKnife wrote:
The Warfish wrote:
I appreciate the thought CCP, but:

So, I am an RP *** and Aethetics *** who loves Amarr Drones.

Tell me....

...in what circumstances would it be worth it losing speed (vs. Minny Drones) or Damage (vs. Gallente Drones) to utilize the Amarr Drones after the fix?

Cause I'm still not seeing them as all that useful.

Drones have two jobs in EVE and two only: Kill Tackler Frigates (speed/tracking is king, use Minny Drones) and pure DPS (Damage Bonus is king, use Gallente Drones).

Why would I slow my anti-fast-**** drones down? Why would I lower my damage when damage is what counts?

/shrug, outside RP reasons, I don't see many switching to Amarr/Caldari drones tbqh, especially since most drone users and vets probably have Gall and Minn Drone spec to at least 4 if not 5, and Amarr/Caldari Spec not even trained.

A better idea would probably have been to make Gallente and Amarr equal all down the line (big tough slow DPS) and Caldari/Minny Drones equal (fast, accurate).

Then the choice comes down to damge type and purpose, with EM/Therm DPS and Kin/Explo Speed options.


For a mix of the two. It is now easier to decide on the spectrum which is more important, speed or DPS. If you want only dps, go Gallente, if you want only speed go Minmatar, if you want mostly speed go Amarr, and if you want mostly DPS go Caldari.

Not that hard.


Apparently it is.

Please tell us when "a mix of the two" is superior to the best DPS (Gall) or the best Tracking/Speed (Minn). Thats the question.

Nobody who plays EVE wants "mostly", they want best-at-role. And since Drones do two things and two things only, kill/chase off tacklers (where all that matters is best speed/tracking) and lay down DPS (where Amarr can never catch up to Gall), having "mostly" is a decision that is effectively self-nerfing.

So.....tell us my friend, what situations you want to self-nerf yourself in by having "mostly" instead of "best".
Jaari Val'Dara
Grim Sleepers
#94 - 2014-04-01 18:48:42 UTC
So as I understand the tech 2 sentries will be getting a damage nerf, right?
Grarr Dexx
The Congregation
420 MLG TWINTURBO 3000 EMPIRE ALLIANCE RELOADED
#95 - 2014-04-01 18:49:12 UTC
l0rd carlos wrote:
Mike Voidstar wrote:

How about PvE? Drones still need some balance there. They get eaten constantly by the new hungry ai, with few to no tools to make the usable on a consistant basis as a primary weapon.


Huh? I very very rarely lose drones to npc. Most of the time it's my own fault.

Both full drones ship like Dominix and ships that use them as support like Machariel / Cyna have no trouble in level 4 sites and in lowsec DED sites.


Ever tried using a Rattlesnake in level 5s? There's a bunch of missions where there are enough frigates that all switch damage at the same time and are very proficient in instapopping sentries.
Vicar2008
MCMLXXVI
#96 - 2014-04-01 18:49:13 UTC
Whats about Drone Implants, is this still not a thing CCP! Gunnery implants check, Missile Implants check, Drone implants....... ??
Atomic Option
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2014-04-01 18:50:47 UTC
I find it really odd that you're making the Damage <-> Distance tradeoff for sentry drones a different racial order from the same tradeoff for smaller drones.

Shouldn't sentries, by range, be Gallente->Caldari->Amarr->Minmatar like smaller drones are by speed?

And while we're on the subject, have you talked to the lore guys about the order of Caldari and Amarr here? It seems obvious that Gallente is short range/large damage considering the analogy with blasters, but Caldari rails vs Amarr lasers aren't so clear to me.

Fredric Wolf
Black Sheep Down
Tactical Narcotics Team
#98 - 2014-04-01 18:53:45 UTC
The Thanny and the Nyx Should get the standard bonus of 10% to drone damage and hit points after these changes to keep it uniform.
Bariolage
Control F9
#99 - 2014-04-01 18:53:52 UTC
Nice! Adding some additional UI and AI drone work on top of this would be so great. I'm crossing my fingers that another team and another dev blog will cover that.
Mostlyharmlesss
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#100 - 2014-04-01 18:55:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Mostlyharmlesss
While you're at it, please make the Drone Control Unit a passive module.

Follow me on Twitter for the latest regarding GoonSwarm Federation and our recruitment drives!