These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

FB buys Oculus VR for $2bil

Author
Aiwha
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#41 - 2014-03-26 03:19:04 UTC
Pix Severus wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Well, there's always the PS4 version?

...


Sony aren't much better, but they are the lesser of two evils I suppose.




I trust gaming companies leagues more than any socialmedia based company.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#42 - 2014-03-26 03:23:14 UTC
You guys are looking at this all wrong. FB is going to pioneer the first completely virtual world with social networking and virtual reality combined.

Think of it like real life, with no dirt.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Natassia Krasnoo
R3D SHIFT
#43 - 2014-03-26 03:25:10 UTC
Suckerberg must be stopped before he ruins EVERYTHING!!! What a shame. Sad to see oculus sell out, though for 2 bil who could blame them. Cry
Silent Rambo
Orion Positronics
#44 - 2014-03-26 03:32:45 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
You guys are looking at this all wrong. FB is going to pioneer the first completely virtual world with social networking and virtual reality combined.

Think of it like real life, with no dirt.

Yeah! It would be like having popup adds when i use my oven. And instead of dirt, we could all virtually walk on billboards for singles websites.

You really think someone would do that? Just log into EvE and tell lies?

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2014-03-26 03:34:27 UTC
Facebook in your Occulus, making a permanent database of everything you do.

This is horrible news!

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#46 - 2014-03-26 03:35:18 UTC
And thus Zucky imparts the kiss of death on Oculus.
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#47 - 2014-03-26 03:39:02 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
Val'Dore wrote:
You guys are looking at this all wrong. FB is going to pioneer the first completely virtual world with social networking and virtual reality combined.

Think of it like real life, with no dirt.

Yeah! It would be like having popup adds when i use my oven. And instead of dirt, we could all virtually walk on billboards for singles websites.


Look on the less dim side though, you can use Allstate ads as oven mitts!

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Thead Enco
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#48 - 2014-03-26 04:20:54 UTC
Val'Dore wrote:
You guys are looking at this all wrong. FB is going to pioneer the first completely virtual world with social networking and virtual reality combined.

Think of it like real life, with no dirt.



I'm still taking the "Red Pill"
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2014-03-26 05:06:06 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:


The only reason I even have mine anymore is because my wife's relatives would get butthurt if I deleted it, thinking it a slight.



I originally though that but soon worked out the real reason people got upset if I suspended or mentioned deleting is all their tagged pics uploaded to my account would disappear.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#50 - 2014-03-26 05:22:47 UTC
http://i.imgur.com/Jnhnb2x.jpg

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Toshiro Ozuwara
Perkone
#51 - 2014-03-26 05:40:22 UTC
A lot of overreaction in this thread. FB didn't pay 2B for this to kill it.

It didn't take long to locate the tracking beacon, deep inside the quarters for sleepin' They thought they could get away Not today, it's not the way that this kid plays

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#52 - 2014-03-26 06:00:24 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
A lot of overreaction in this thread. FB didn't pay 2B for this to kill it.


Mark, please go away!
Toshiro Ozuwara
Perkone
#53 - 2014-03-26 06:01:37 UTC
Pak Narhoo wrote:
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
A lot of overreaction in this thread. FB didn't pay 2B for this to kill it.


Mark, please go away!

Keep it up and I will buy CCP next.

It didn't take long to locate the tracking beacon, deep inside the quarters for sleepin' They thought they could get away Not today, it's not the way that this kid plays

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#54 - 2014-03-26 06:02:27 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
A lot of overreaction in this thread. FB didn't pay 2B for this to kill it.


No, they did it to monetize it.

Which will result in killing it.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#55 - 2014-03-26 06:02:29 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
Pak Narhoo wrote:
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
A lot of overreaction in this thread. FB didn't pay 2B for this to kill it.


Mark, please go away!

Keep it up and I will buy CCP next.


I knew it! Shocked
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#56 - 2014-03-26 06:05:12 UTC
Pak Narhoo wrote:
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
A lot of overreaction in this thread. FB didn't pay 2B for this to kill it.


Mark, please go away!


http://www.cnet.com/news/say-what-young-people-are-just-smarter/

Mark wants to remind everyone that if you're over 30, you're a little slow.

I wonder if he'll quit working in tech when hes 30 next year.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#57 - 2014-03-26 06:37:11 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
Mario Putzo wrote:
Sony wins again!


Sony always seems to win not by being better but by avoiding shi**ing all over themselves like their competition.

Sony is the zen master, always standing still and watching as there enemies destroy themselves.


aye, they've not released any anticustomer things like rootkits or let their online network be hacked so bad it had to be shut down.



oh, _that_ Sony.


Toshiro Ozuwara
Perkone
#58 - 2014-03-26 06:52:12 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
No, they did it to monetize it.

Which will result in killing it.

Every commercial product is monetized or it goes broke.

This is the argument socialists have perpetuated for nearly a century. That the incentive of the business man is to ruin his business, not to grow and profit from it.

FB getting behind Oculus is going to open all sorts of doors for this technology which weren't in reach 3 days ago.

It didn't take long to locate the tracking beacon, deep inside the quarters for sleepin' They thought they could get away Not today, it's not the way that this kid plays

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#59 - 2014-03-26 06:56:45 UTC
Toshiro Ozuwara wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
No, they did it to monetize it.

Which will result in killing it.

Every commercial product is monetized or it goes broke.

This is the argument socialists have perpetuated for nearly a century. That the incentive of the business man is to ruin his business, not to grow and profit from it.

FB getting behind Oculus is going to open all sorts of doors for this technology which weren't in reach 3 days ago.


And closed a whole bunch of them, because a great deal of the potential customer base that Oculus Rift previous appealed to, absolutely despises Facebook in general, and Zuckerburg in particular.

Myself, as an example. I hate Facebook. I hate their dishonesty, I hate their utter determination to sell out as hard and as quickly as possible, and I hate the entire concept of putting your life in a fishbowl in exchange for fake internet points from other morons who put their own lives in fishbowls.

Instead I will buy the Playstation version, after this revelation came out.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

SilentBladez
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#60 - 2014-03-26 07:32:48 UTC
palmer luckey just made the biggest mistake of his life, not only did he betrayed his original commitment, he gave up a company that can be worth more then 2billion not to mention screw his supporters. BAKA!

Canceled my pre-order, I want nothing to do with facebook.