These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

"How did you Veterans start?"

First post First post
Author
Kerrec Snowmane
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#81 - 2014-07-24 20:27:51 UTC
Among my other "noob" moments are the ones where I thought I'd ruined myself when I lost ships worth 10 million ISK. Then again later, when I lost ships worth 50 million ISK. And again later when I was losing ships worth 100 million ISK. I am a casual player. I don't grind or maximize anything. When I did missions, I cleared everything -because OCD-: I killed all the NPC pirates (referred to as "rats" and/or "red crosses"), I salvaged all the wreckages and left space nice and pristine. Today, between my ships in hangars, the modules and resources piling up (IE: junk in my hangar) and my liquid ISK, I am worth probably around 3-4 billion ISK. Maybe 2 to 3 since trying to sell some of my junk would prove a bit difficult (not much demand?) Yes, I wrote BILLION. And I'd still consider myself space poor in this game. So don't freak out when you lose your nice new shiny T1 cruiser. It's a drop in the bucket well worth whatever lesson you can learn from it.

Still more noob moments: I used the Catalyst (a gallente destroyer) I got from the tutorial mission (I think that's where I got it) to do security missions until it blew up in a level 3 mission. I had had difficulty in *some* missions but had always managed. Not time efficient, but good for a challenge, which I liked. However, in this mission, I was closing in on a group, spiraling in to get within optimal of my guns/ammo, noticed I was being red boxed by the rats and then BOOM. I don't mean red box, oh I'm taking damage, what do I do? BOOM. I mean, "I'm being red boxed now, BOOM." That's when I thought, "well that's it, time to move up to cruisers." So I bought a Thorax. Then when I couldn't fly it, I went and bought the skill book to fly cruisers. Then when I couldn't fit guns, I went and bought skill books to use medium guns. All of this rushed, so I would be able to finish the mission before I went to bed that night. So off to the mission I went. I was still using rail guns, although medium ones. I was still using my Anti-matter ammo, but my optimal was much bigger than on my catalyst. That was my only saving grace. I was able to kite somewhat because of that bigger optimal. I would kill one or two rats, warp away, repair, come back and repeat until I finally cleared the mission. So now that I have more experience and understand the mechanics a bit better, that whole experience was one big NOOB moment. First, I didn't know about different kinds of ammo and their effect on optimal range. All I would have needed to do was switch to LEAD ammo (probably, this is theorycrafting after the fact. If not Lead, then maybe Iron?) on my Catalyst and I could have kited just as well as I did with the Thorax. And I would have done it better, because my small gun skills were at level 4 and my Destroyer skill was at level 4 where my Cruiser skill was at level 1 and my medium gun skills were at level 1. So bigger is not always better. I came damn close to losing that "expensive" Thorax many times during that mission.

As an aside: You may often see advice that missions are to be done as follows: Level 1 in a Destroyer, Level 2 in a Cruiser, Level 3 in a Battlecruiser and Level 4 in a Battleship. That is nonsense and has more to do with maximizing ISK/hr by converting LP into ISK. I'm not going to explain what that meant, it's not important to a newb. All I'm saying is I have done all my level 4 missions in my battlecruiser and as my skills improved, the easier (and more boring) it got. As I said, my ship progression was Destroyer for Level 1, 2 & many 3's. Then Cruiser for level 3's and many 4's. Then all 4's with my Battlecruiser. So it's doable for sure. I don't do missions anymore unless I want an implant that is not "cheap enough" on the market. When you get bored of missions too, exploration sites (DED sites) found via exploration is the next step. Much the same as missions, but without being tied down to an agent and with the added bonus of random shiny loot drops.

Kerrec Snowmane
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2014-07-24 20:44:40 UTC
I think my very first PVP experience was a success. I'd have to check my losses to be sure. However, I had managed to skill up my Thorax enough that I had around 350 dps and a decent buffer tank. So I decided to go out and PVP. During my missioning, I had on several occasions had mission crashers try to provoke me into shooting them, so they could shoot back "legally" (search crimewatch to understand). I didn't take the bait. But I wanted so badly to surprise them one day. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized I could. So I took that nice Thorax of mine, put two webs on it (losing speed is the worst thing for a frigate), opened up a level 1 mission and waited. Almost right away, I got my chance. A frigate (Incursus) was trying to provoke a fight. So I obliged. Turned on both webs, scram, guns and waited. That is literally what I did. I didn't try to manage engagement distance, forgot about my drones, had no active repair to worry about. I just turned everything on and watched. And I won pretty handily. The pirate warped off in his pod and I looted his ship. Then he contacted me and started asking me "why do that?" I could barely type since I had a bad case of the shakes. He kept "crying" and moaning about it and kept me typing. Then I realized I shouldn't stick around. I warped away to a station. As I was approaching to dock up, that player attacked me again. I thought I was screwed, but I suddenly docked into station. After that, the pirate got friendly and we chatted a bit. He admitted that I warped away before he could get close enough with his cloaky ship (I forget what it was). He saw what station I warped to and followed me, where he gave one last shot at it. But I didn't make the mistake of retaliating (and keeping myself from docking into station, more out of ignorance than intent). So it was close to being a NOOB moment for me. The only reason I bring it up is he underestimated me. He made no effort to look me up or figure out why the Thorax in the level 1 mission wasn't shooting the NPC's. He just came up and swallowed the bait, hook and all expecting yet another dumb missioner. So that pirate, with several hundred kills to maybe 20 deaths, with who knows how many skill points, was killed by a first time to PVP newb with maybe 5 million skill points. Keep that in mind. Skill points aren't a barrier to doing PVP. The ship you bring, the target you engage (willingly or not) has more to do with winning than skill points. And skill too. That first fight (and other PVP fight's I've had) I kept forgetting to use my drones! I forgot to overheat a few times when it would have made the difference. I once overheated too soon and burnt out my guns, leaving me helpless. In some of my losses, I've had the chance to run away because the other guy dropped point and I never noticed. And so on. What you bring and skill will beat skill points. Not believing that is a big NOOB indicator.

The latest realization of my own noobishness was when I got tired of competing with other wankers to find and finish DED sites in Hi-Sec space. So I made the move to Lo-Sec. I was ready and pumped for the added challenge of avoiding being ganked. I scouted a home with a cloaky cov-ops and made my move when I knew enough about their habits to know I wouldn't get caught in a gate camp. My move went fine. Nothing of note to mention. What I failed to realize is those big bad PVP corps in Lo-Sec have a LOT of PVE members that farm everything. At least the area I first chose as a home. And they are never alone. I don't necessarily mean corp mates on the bat phone. I mean logi alts, scout alts, 2nd DPS alts, hauling alts and so on. As big and mean as EVE is, the large majority of the playerbase choose to circumvent game mechanics by playing several characters at once. A pirate with bad standing doesn't have any difficulty bringing his ill gotten goods to market because he uses an alt with good standing in Hi-Sec space. Keeping supplied is equally easy for them. Most of the difficulty and challenge is avoided by using alts. That mission/DED plex too hard to solo safely? Bring an Alt. That guy might have a chance to kill you if you fight him? Bring an alt. Don't know if it's safe to go thru that gate with your nice shiny ship? Send an alt. Worried about gimping your uber PVP fit by fitting something like a combat probes? Fit it on an alt. Until you realize that playing with one character (for the times when you don't feel like being social) is the hardest of hard modes, you are self branding yourself as a noob. Don't let yourself become a bitter noob like myself by waiting 8 months to realize if you want to play in the big leagues, you need the versatility and simplification of game mechanics that alts bring. If you're going to play EVE and want to compete, start with 2 accounts right away.

Best of luck. Sorry for the massive wall of text.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#83 - 2014-07-24 21:28:43 UTC
Kerrec Snowmane wrote:
If you're going to play EVE and want to compete, start with 2 accounts right away.


I call bullshit.

You can play EVE with 1 account or even with 1 character, you just have to be social and make friends.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Kerrec Snowmane
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2014-07-25 12:33:52 UTC
Quote:
I call bullshit.

You can play EVE with 1 account or even with 1 character, you just have to be social and make friends.


Really?

Friends are a solution when you go out and do fleets, whether that is for PVP, Mining, PVE.... whatever. But when it's a slow day, or a free for all day, and you want to travel your slow PVE battleship or a freighter or whatever, are you going to ask a corp mate to escort you all the way to where you're going? Really?

If you want to run DED sites in Low/Null/Wormhole space, are you going to ask an actual person to scan one down for you, then sit on the gate cloaked to watch for trouble, and help you out with reps/cap if the site gets a bit hairy? Really?

I stated that playing with one account is the hardest of hard modes. I did not say it is impossible. There is no denying the fact that having a second (or more) alts simplifies gameplay and negates a lot of the game mechanic challenges and choices.

And lastly: If what you say is true, then the majority of people in active corps would not bother paying (or grinding) to fund Alts. However, I think I am perfectly safe to say that people in corps have just as many Alts as soloers and antisocial players. The reality of the situation doesn't correlate well with your premise.
Dracon Darkstar
Ice Fire Warriors
#85 - 2014-07-25 15:09:26 UTC
Kerrec Snowmane wrote:
Quote:
I call bullshit.

You can play EVE with 1 account or even with 1 character, you just have to be social and make friends.


Really?

Friends are a solution when you go out and do fleets, whether that is for PVP, Mining, PVE.... whatever. But when it's a slow day, or a free for all day, and you want to travel your slow PVE battleship or a freighter or whatever, are you going to ask a corp mate to escort you all the way to where you're going? Really?

If you want to run DED sites in Low/Null/Wormhole space, are you going to ask an actual person to scan one down for you, then sit on the gate cloaked to watch for trouble, and help you out with reps/cap if the site gets a bit hairy? Really?

I stated that playing with one account is the hardest of hard modes. I did not say it is impossible. There is no denying the fact that having a second (or more) alts simplifies gameplay and negates a lot of the game mechanic challenges and choices.

And lastly: If what you say is true, then the majority of people in active corps would not bother paying (or grinding) to fund Alts. However, I think I am perfectly safe to say that people in corps have just as many Alts as soloers and antisocial players. The reality of the situation doesn't correlate well with your premise.



I would say yes ask! Why throw 2 accounts into something you are new to? Newbie corps, especially Center for Advance Studies , have excellent players who help and teach new characters. Start slow, figure out how YOU want to play eve. Then add a second account to compliment your first.
Kerrec Snowmane
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#86 - 2014-07-25 17:35:12 UTC
Dracon Darkstar wrote:
I would say yes ask! Why throw 2 accounts into something you are new to? Newbie corps, especially Center for Advance Studies , have excellent players who help and teach new characters. Start slow, figure out how YOU want to play eve. Then add a second account to compliment your first.


OK, fine. I'll change my advice: Be social and learn about EVE a bit first. Either join a corp, chat it up in forums, or just start conversations in game. Once you have an idea on what you're doing and want to do, then you can start that Alt account.

Just understand from the beginning that Alts make EVE easier and deliberately choosing to not use them knowing it'll make your life harder is possible and a choice. KNOWING this is something I wish I understood (I did know about alts, I just didn't realize how overpowered they are) when I first started the game. Because right now I would have 2 accounts with 15 million skillpoints instead of 1 account with 15 million skillpoints dragging around a 2nd one with 1 million skill points.

Or

Take my advice. Make two accounts from the start. Have one just play skill queue online, focusing only on "core skills". Look up what those are. That will be your Alt. Then you can roam around on your main, being social and joining newbro friendly corps and all that, figuring out what you want to do. When you know what you want to do, your Alt will be in a good place with short training times to become what it is you need it to become.
Dracon Darkstar
Ice Fire Warriors
#87 - 2014-07-25 19:52:24 UTC
:) Alts are nice but this is not WOW where you are supposed to get everything at once.. And if it was easy we would be flooded by WOW players! But fly my noob s fly! Enjoy eve, alts or no alts!
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#88 - 2014-07-25 21:45:23 UTC
Ladies... lets stick to stories here. Kay? Blink
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#89 - 2014-07-25 22:25:16 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Kerrec Snowmane wrote:
Quote:
I call bullshit.

You can play EVE with 1 account or even with 1 character, you just have to be social and make friends.


Really?

Friends are a solution when you go out and do fleets, whether that is for PVP, Mining, PVE.... whatever. But when it's a slow day, or a free for all day, and you want to travel your slow PVE battleship or a freighter or whatever, are you going to ask a corp mate to escort you all the way to where you're going? Really?

If you want to run DED sites in Low/Null/Wormhole space, are you going to ask an actual person to scan one down for you, then sit on the gate cloaked to watch for trouble, and help you out with reps/cap if the site gets a bit hairy? Really?

I stated that playing with one account is the hardest of hard modes. I did not say it is impossible. There is no denying the fact that having a second (or more) alts simplifies gameplay and negates a lot of the game mechanic challenges and choices.

And lastly: If what you say is true, then the majority of people in active corps would not bother paying (or grinding) to fund Alts. However, I think I am perfectly safe to say that people in corps have just as many Alts as soloers and antisocial players. The reality of the situation doesn't correlate well with your premise.


Uhm, yes. Isn't the part of being in a corp to do stuff together.

I did do my fare share or gate watching or scouting people, if you are a true friend you do that for each other.

Yes, I have multiple accounts, but that was because of being a capital pilot means I needed emergency cyno at all times.
Now that I left null behind, back to 1 account because it's no longer needed.
Anything other then the emergency cyno, I just asked friends to help me out (be it in corp / alliance or just among friends I have that play the game).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#90 - 2014-07-25 22:31:32 UTC
Kerrec Snowmane wrote:
Dracon Darkstar wrote:
I would say yes ask! Why throw 2 accounts into something you are new to? Newbie corps, especially Center for Advance Studies , have excellent players who help and teach new characters. Start slow, figure out how YOU want to play eve. Then add a second account to compliment your first.


OK, fine. I'll change my advice: Be social and learn about EVE a bit first. Either join a corp, chat it up in forums, or just start conversations in game. Once you have an idea on what you're doing and want to do, then you can start that Alt account.

Just understand from the beginning that Alts make EVE easier and deliberately choosing to not use them knowing it'll make your life harder is possible and a choice. KNOWING this is something I wish I understood (I did know about alts, I just didn't realize how overpowered they are) when I first started the game. Because right now I would have 2 accounts with 15 million skillpoints instead of 1 account with 15 million skillpoints dragging around a 2nd one with 1 million skill points.

Or

Take my advice. Make two accounts from the start. Have one just play skill queue online, focusing only on "core skills". Look up what those are. That will be your Alt. Then you can roam around on your main, being social and joining newbro friendly corps and all that, figuring out what you want to do. When you know what you want to do, your Alt will be in a good place with short training times to become what it is you need it to become.


It's still a bad advice, as you claim you can only play with multiple accounts, which is NOT true.
Just because you lack the ability to do it with a single account doesn't mean it is harder then possible. Loads of people play for months before they open a 2nd account and still do as good, if not better then people with multiple accounts (no need to fund 2 accounts, no need to worry about 2 accounts etc. etc.)

The biggest thing you mis....MMO - Massive MULTIPLAYER Online

See those capital letters, follow that and EVE becomes easy mode if you play with others.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Tulber
#91 - 2014-07-26 00:38:25 UTC
Confirming one account is both enjoyable and profitable. I've been in and out of the game for five and some years, never opened a second account, and I've "started over," more than once so I never hit the raw skillpoint heights either.

Some things in EVE lend themselves to single account play more than others. There's certainly nothing wrong with having an alt if you enjoy it. But, I agree with everyone above saying it's not necssary and certainly not something I'd push on a new player.

In the spirit of keeping on-topic here, I'll share some of my stories of newbdome and history in general.

1. My first char and ship died hilariously when I accidentally targeted a stargate and hamfingered the F1 key somehow. So a few minutes into the game I learned about what CONCORD does to criminals.

2. Six or so months into my first experience of EVE I joined a mining corp in highsec, three weeks of which made it apparent to me that mining was not the way I wanted to go. My dissapointment with mining was great enough that I biomassed that character. Excessive and wasteful, yes. Cathartic too. I was out of EVE for a while afterward.

3. A year or so later on my second character I was feeling brave and joined a pvp corp in lowsec. It was great fun, but at the time I was skint broke and lowsec was a wasteland devoid of the current exploration and faction rat riches it now enjoys. I got a mind to do a trading character on my account and a new world opened up to me.

4. I'm not sure when it was, but possibly 1-1.5 years after my basic trading alt got his first billion, I was too hooked on market pvp to log into my "main." Having been on good terms with the corp, I bid my farewell so as not to get the dishonourable discharge for inactvity. From that point on I stuck to trading like an addiction and it was lots of fun.

5. Like an addict searching for another fix, I eventually sold my second "main," character to fund more investments. I still regret doing it as he was a well crafted little pvp'er, but at the time I was playing wallet-score online and it made sense. I also felt the need to fill my account with three trade characters so freeing up the slot was part of that process.

6. A few months ago I hit a wall, got a bit bored with trading, and scaled back a touch. I debated what to do with my trio of trading characters and ended up making the rash decision to sell them all, so back to sqare one again. I took a break from EVE to let the wind get back in my sails and then rolled this guy to start the process up again. I'm not sure yet if he'll evolve back into my old trading habbits or perhaps explore something I haven't tried like exploration or wormholes, but EVE is exciting again and I'm having a good time testing the limits of a fresh faced character again.

In sum, I got my start doing stupid things, probably did a lot more stupid things with subsequent characters, but if you take one thing from my story it's that EVE isn't about sp and there's a lot of fun to be had with a few day old character when you know where to look.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#92 - 2014-07-26 14:10:25 UTC
Tulber wrote:
Confirming one account is both enjoyable and profitable. I've been in and out of the game for five and some years, never opened a second account, and I've "started over," more than once so I never hit the raw skillpoint heights either.

Some things in EVE lend themselves to single account play more than others. There's certainly nothing wrong with having an alt if you enjoy it. But, I agree with everyone above saying it's not necssary and certainly not something I'd push on a new player.

In the spirit of keeping on-topic here, I'll share some of my stories of newbdome and history in general.

1. My first char and ship died hilariously when I accidentally targeted a stargate and hamfingered the F1 key somehow. So a few minutes into the game I learned about what CONCORD does to criminals.

2. Six or so months into my first experience of EVE I joined a mining corp in highsec, three weeks of which made it apparent to me that mining was not the way I wanted to go. My dissapointment with mining was great enough that I biomassed that character. Excessive and wasteful, yes. Cathartic too. I was out of EVE for a while afterward.

3. A year or so later on my second character I was feeling brave and joined a pvp corp in lowsec. It was great fun, but at the time I was skint broke and lowsec was a wasteland devoid of the current exploration and faction rat riches it now enjoys. I got a mind to do a trading character on my account and a new world opened up to me.

4. I'm not sure when it was, but possibly 1-1.5 years after my basic trading alt got his first billion, I was too hooked on market pvp to log into my "main." Having been on good terms with the corp, I bid my farewell so as not to get the dishonourable discharge for inactvity. From that point on I stuck to trading like an addiction and it was lots of fun.

5. Like an addict searching for another fix, I eventually sold my second "main," character to fund more investments. I still regret doing it as he was a well crafted little pvp'er, but at the time I was playing wallet-score online and it made sense. I also felt the need to fill my account with three trade characters so freeing up the slot was part of that process.

6. A few months ago I hit a wall, got a bit bored with trading, and scaled back a touch. I debated what to do with my trio of trading characters and ended up making the rash decision to sell them all, so back to sqare one again. I took a break from EVE to let the wind get back in my sails and then rolled this guy to start the process up again. I'm not sure yet if he'll evolve back into my old trading habbits or perhaps explore something I haven't tried like exploration or wormholes, but EVE is exciting again and I'm having a good time testing the limits of a fresh faced character again.

In sum, I got my start doing stupid things, probably did a lot more stupid things with subsequent characters, but if you take one thing from my story it's that EVE isn't about sp and there's a lot of fun to be had with a few day old character when you know where to look.


Great story.

And honestly, I miss the "Low SP" days.

As a new player, each day opens up new doors with ships you can use, modules you "unlock" and being just a bit more efficient at what you are doing.

Once you get your SP up, it gets a bit more boring to do things as sure you can skill up that Level 5 skill and be 5% more effective, but the impact is a whole lot less of an impact then when you were a young capsuleer.

For that, I tend to keep rolling a new account every now and then for about 2 months and then scrap the account, just so I can get that feeling back again (be it in less extend because of the skills you already gather by playing EVE).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

RAIN Arthie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#93 - 2014-07-26 14:13:16 UTC
Nice post, very informative. I was in Iraq when I heard about this game. Something to do when not on convoy. Started playing with some buddies and I was hooked. I learned right away this game is unforgiving. The tutorial was less than helpful. Learned more from talking to players. Has a fairly deep story line, but could be deeper- I write books, poems and the like. Learned there was grinding to do. Not a rich environment but you learn that this game demands respect enven though you recieve none.
Khoid
#94 - 2014-07-30 19:06:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Khoid
I started playing in 2009. I become interested in EVE after watching the the butterfly effect trailer and came into the game wanting to become the best wolf pilot. I started out as an Amarr pilot because I liked the avatars with the dark hoods. Then, I found out that the wolf was a Minmatar ship. I immediately abandoned my Amarr character and made this character and started flying rifters while training for the wolf.

Of my first 12 loss mails, 10 were losses to npcs, 2 to a low sec gate camp:

1 rifter, 1 slasher, and 1 hoarder to belt ralts
4 rifters, 1 burst, and 2 thrashers to the SOE arc

Most of the fits included civilian modules, dual tank, and mixed guns.

When the time came to take on Dagan, I had the sp to sit in a hurricane. My hurricane was equipped with the following:

[Hurricane]
High slot
-2x 720mm
-1x 650mm
-1x 425mm
-1x 220mm
-1x 180mm
Mid slot
~stuff
Low slot
~stuff

I was unable to break Dagan's tank with this fit so I asked a RL friend what he thought of my hurricane. He told me it was terrible and to use all 425mm's in the highs. Doing this allowed me to finally destroy Dagan completing the SOE arc.

After the SOE arc, I started mining in Arnon. During that time, I lost a mining scythe to a can flipping incident. Later, I joined a carebear corp based in Gallente space one jump from low sec. I started doing some missions, farmed the static 1/10 sites, and solo mined hemorphite in low-sec. Apparently at the time, mining in a belt with a scythe didn't attract a lot of attention to where I would even afk mine in low-sec with people in local. Needless to say, I did eventually lose that scythe mining in low sec.

Hurting for isk as I started nearing the point where I could fly a wolf, my RL friend recommended I try ninja salvaging. After going through a few youtube videos on the activity, I established my ninja salvaging op in Dodixie with a probe and a thrasher where I then made my first 50 million isk. However, my carebear CEO told me it was making the corp look bad and told me to stop. As much as I didn't like his decision at the time, I also found out that the coreli c-type modules I was farming was worth 5-12 mil a piece so I agreed to my CEO's request.

Wardec
My first taste of actual PvP occured on November 8, 2009 from a wardec. I had about 3mil sp and could fly a wolf. Luckily for me, I had a grasp of proper ship fittings at that point in my EVE career. With the help of google, my first wolf fit looked like:

[Wolf]
High Slot
-4x 150mm T2 Autocannon
-Rocket Launcher T1
Mid Slot
-1mn Coreli C-type Afterburner
-J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler
Low Slot
-Coreli C-type Small Armor Repairer
-400mm Rolled Tungsten Plates
-Coreli C-type Adaptive Nano Plating
-Gyro-stabilizer T1
Rigs
-NONE

While flying through high sec in my wolf, I noticed a war target huginn land on a gate with me. I had no idea what a Huginn actually was, I just knew it was a T2 cruiser which scared me. I immediately panicked and started burning to my home system. As I jumped into to my home system, I noticed an interceptor land on gate. I spammed the warp button to station fearing what fate lied in wait for me as the interceptor appeared on grid. I successfully dock in my home station(kickout) and monitor the guest list. As I expected, the interceptor pilot docked in the station with me. I evaluated my situation and weighed my options. I have no idea what the capabilities of an interceptor were, I just knew they were T2 frigates. The numbers were not in my favor as I was alone and facing an undetermined number of war targets. I could log out and call it day, I could try and make a break for low sec and see if they follow me, or I could fight to the death. Not wanting to log out just yet, I decide to to try and make a break for low sec just next door, the same low sec I used to mine hemorphite. As the undocking animation plays, I watched my name disappear from the guest list as the interceptor pilot's name also disappeared from the guest list a split second after. There was no going back now. I was going to either make it into warp to low sec or get forced into an outnumbered fight. As the grid loads, the interceptor is right on top of my wolf. I smashed the warp button to low sec only to be warp scrambled by the interceptor. I locked the interceptor back and activate my warp scrambler and weapons. To my surprise, the interceptor went down quickly and explodes. Just as he exploded, another interceptor landed on top of me. I locked him up and brought the warp scrambler and guns onto him. He went down quickly as well. Before I could celebrate my first T2 kills, the Huginn landed on grid 20km away. I initiated warp and jumped to the low sec system then docked at the station there. I watched the Huginn pilot appear in local and disappear a few minutes later. The day was mine. I then lost the wolf 3 hours later to an ishtar.

Into Null
After that victory, I had a few stints with the militia and continued my usual carebear activities. One day, a pilot from the [UNEW] corporation of the alliance Maru'Kage challenged me to a duel. My wolf against his rifter. I suspected a trap but decided to accept it. We warped to a safe and can flipped each other starting the duel. I locked him up and activate my scram and guns. To my horror, I was doing minimal damage. I was pointed and webbed and I could only watch as my wolf dipped into half armor. I pulsed my c-type armor repper as I frantically looked for a way to survive. Suddenly, I noticed he was kiting me at about 9km, out of range of my guns with T1 ammo. I switched my ammo to barrage and reactivated my guns. I started to land solid hits and the rifter exploded with my wolf at 35% armor. The pilot then convod me complementing me and inviting me to [UNEW]. After some hesitation, I accepted and my null adventures began.
It's Oldman Withers
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#95 - 2014-08-12 07:29:58 UTC  |  Edited by: It's Oldman Withers
Before DCM had his clone hijacked by russians (aka sold on character bazaar...he has retired) he asked me to post the following:

DCM wrote:

Seeking "p versus p"
Download eve.
Roll minmatard.
Don't know wtf I'm doing.
Do some missions.
Buy stabber after 5 days.
Feel like leet stabber pilot with dual tank and random guns in the highs.
Some guy asks me to duel.
Ask for isk because if I lose ship I'm broke ****.
Sends isk.
Do can flip thing for duel.
Harbinger undocks.
Guardian undocks.
Stabber explodes.
Rage.
Ask noobcorp what to do.
They say join FW.
Join FW for TLF since I'm Minmatard and I have to.
Die 47 times first month.
Kill 10 times first month.
Only 1 solo kill on slicer because he "warp to 0".
Feel like a ******* champ.
Get invited to minmatar FW corp.
They say I need to fly Hurricane ASAP.
Save isk.
Buy Hurricane.
Fit 2 800mm plates in lows.
Fit crappy tech 1 guns.
Might have fit shield in mids.
I am pro hurricane pilot.
Go to small gang engagement.
Use whopping 1 month of skill training and no real pvp experience to fly **** fit cane.
Die in a horrible fire.
Consider rage quitting.
Convo someone who killed me previously.
Ask why I suck.
Says I'm flying **** I shouldn't be.
Tells me to fly rifters.
Sends me 20mil isk to go buy rifters.
Buy rifters.
Die more, but actually have fun.
Train to be the leetest rifter pilot in all of new eden.
Start killing **** more often.
Don't become leetest rifter pilot, but have most fun ever.
Run into boring lame instalock gate camp "p versus p"
Almost rage quit again because can't get into lowsec to do real "p versus p"
Ask someone to JF **** to lowsec so I can ignore the wannabe "pirates" who do the "pro gate camp p versus p"
Broke **** again because rifters slowly all die off.
Start following this Amarr gang who run missions.
Start stealing their tags in missions.
They laugh at me for being broke ****.
Making 20-50mil per night following these dudes.
Feel like billionare.
Actually only have like 500mil due to rifters dying.
Start flying thrashers.
Getting better.
Decide corp is too inactive and want to do lame highsec and wormhole ****.
Join another FW corp.
They are more active.
Kill more ****.
Buy first PLEX with ISK.
Never pay for sub again.
Get into Ruptures and Stabbers.
Actually able to fly ships correctly because spending time training.
Start hating minmatar blobbers.
Start abhoring lame minmatar corps/alliances who just like to blot out the sun with blob.
Speak to arch nemesis in Amarr.
He is cool and gives pvp advice.
Keep getting better.
He convos me and tells me to join Amarr since I'm not a blobbing idiot.
I say I am not leet yet.
He says I can be leet if I join Amarr.
I challenge him to 1v1.
He butchers me.
He tells me to join Amarr.
I fly to his space and plex (before plexing gave LP, used to be for pride).
Wait for enemies to show up.
Die.
Come back.
Die again.
Come back.
Kill something.
Die.
Come back.
I get told to join Amarr again.
I join Amarr.
Minmatar call me traitors.
I tell them to get ******.
Amarr call me spy.
I tell them to get ******.
Flying under ARETR flag.
God of space in my own mind.
Get better at pvp.
Get told by corp that talentless hacks fly minmatar ships.
Get told by corp that pros fly Amarr.
Start learning to fly Amarr ships.
Owning people left and right.
Small Amarr gang vs. minmatar blob.
Small Amarr gang owns minmatar blob.
******* **** up constantly.
Cynthia Neztits and me become BFF.
Kill bhaelgorn with 3 battlecruisers.
Blow up wreck because I can.
Get respect from corp.
Corp disbands to start new more elite corp.
Flying under AVNG flag.
Kill more people.
Of course dying because AVNG pilots have testicles and take risks.
Consider conquering Ushra'Khan home system.
Calculate odds of success at 10%
Decide to go for it because Amarr FW pilots have testiclces.
Gather up the 5 pilots AVNG has.
::ushrakong:: undocks all 120 members.
Conquer Ushra'Khan home system.
Tackle Archon on gate.
Hold Archon for 15 minutes with 5 pilots vs. 40 ushrakong.
Amarr militia shows up.
Take over Eugidi Constellation.
Take over Arzad.
Become space wrecking ball.
Go to Gallente space.
5 AVNG pilots plus super-*******-chair strike fear into blobbing gallente.
Toss some frogs around.
Instapop a daredevil with a tornado.
Laugh so hard decision is made to self destruct tornado.
Tornado explodes.
Go back to Amarr space.
Cynthia has killed everyone in minmatar militia.
Fly with Cynthia and kill more people.
Realize Cynthia has 172 alts and all of them can fly a falcon.
http://i.imgur.com/f74mf.png
Make "Welcome to FW" album.
Big hit everywhere.
Kill more people.
Start getting blobbed since 1v1 most people die who aren't linked.
Realize everyone except me has links.
Refuse to train/buy links alt.
Talk more **** than anyone in the history of FW each time I kill linked pilot.
Keep flying with Cynthia.
Enemy thinks I'm Cynthia.
Friends think I'm Cynthia.
I'm not Cynthia.
Keep killing everyone.
Become FC.
Defend Sahtogas.
Bathed in glory and respect from all except minmatards who have no testicles.
Finish grad school.
Killing less people.
New Amarr FW people flying around.
Get job.
Killing even less people.
Not recognizing anyone in FW.
Work 80 hours per week on "slow" weeks.
Barely can log on so kill a couple people only.
Don't know anyone anymore.
Don't log on for 3 months.
Don't miss EVE.
Log back in.
Something something Burn Huola failed.
Everyone I know sans a few leet pilots like Stalking have rage quit.
Indifferent.
Decide it's time to hang up the boots.
Decide it's time to GTFO of EVE.
http://i.imgur.com/c6xGi.jpg
Retire.
Dump 50bil in savings into PLEX.
Unsub with a month left on account.
Go to browser.
Go to eveonline forums.
Go to character bazaar.
Offer to sell legend.
Sell legend.
Uninstall EVE.
Bored.
Seeking "p versus p"
Download eve.
Kyoko Onzo
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#96 - 2014-08-15 06:38:30 UTC
DCM post is epic!
Thread is great!

First toon born in 2007. Second accnt created shortly after (wanted a seperate skill path and to train two at once). My first ship had rails, blaster, and an AC on it. Pissed when I couldn't jam ammo into it, more pissed when I couldn't shoot it. Found out caldari didn't shoot guns with bullets, wanted big guns, to the biomass with the caldari, rolled Matar. Tutorial was "this is how you fly, this is how you target, this is how you shoot.... Go have fun now". Eve was awesome. Fuggen spaceships!!

Pure carebear, did missions, more missions, explorations (probing was so painful then, and because of that so rewarding). More carebear'ing. Joined losec carebear group and did lots of stuff together, was fun. Inactivity and fizzling, left eve for awhile.

Came back and did self/alt corp just to run hisec pos and play with industry. Wardec after wardec so said screw it went to a renter alliance, enjoyed null space, learned to survive. Can't remember why, that alliance went belly up so joined another. Had fun, cool guys, chatted lots, sipped some moon goo, made crap, blew up rats, chewed rocks. But some coalition wanted the region from the sov holding alliance. So they came after the renters first. **** off I live here. My ships blew up wanting to do something about, realized sov holding alliance didn't care and alliance mates were running all their assets to safety. Disillusioned. Quit eve.

3 years. Need a new game. Buy some single player games. Eve was still my home screen for internet browser. **** it! Resub both accnts. Do first mission, go to work, come back log in talk to agent, realize can't play alone. Start looking for corp, no renters, want to fight. Want to pvp. Find guys, get used to being on comms again, good guys. Perfect timing as bad life events make me feel terrible, hard time dealing, log in to eve, bad **** disappears and I'm happy. Take advantage of CCP's special for an extra accnt, this toon is born for pirate epic arcs and FW; mains building ships for only purpose of flying into hostile space with no intentions of returning, joining fleets. Eve's changed lots in 3 years, new game and I'm playing a new game too. Noob all over again and it's tons of fun.
Xuixien
Critical Horizon
#97 - 2014-08-15 07:45:34 UTC
I started off mining in a Reaper...

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

vicuneo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#98 - 2014-08-20 05:19:34 UTC
My story begins in October, 2010. At the time, I was a first year university student, looking for a game to appease my lost interest in the games I was playing at the time (which I think may have been CS:S and WoW). Needless to say, EVE would turn out to be an entirely different animal to anything I had experienced before. I’d quickly like to add that EVE with all of its apparent faults has the most engaging and mature (sometimes) social element I have experiences in the virtual world.

I downloaded the client before I knew ANYTHING - I was pulled in by a simple ad which sparked a mild interest. I chose Gallente, logged in my velator for the first time, and was immediately met with the incredible visuals that new eden is famous for. Zipping through the tutorials (I was eager to get into the game), I quickly figured out how to warp around and began the SoE epic arc – my primary means of learning how to play the game. The learning curve was so steep, and I knew it, that I did my best to avoid losing ships as I had very limited isk – though inevitably, I made plenty of costly mistakes. I recall being unable to break the tank of a specific mission target, and warping back to station spending all of my isk repairing my ship (before I discovered the use of armour reps).

The multiplayer PvP side of EVE had become a fascination of mine as I read more and more about the game on the forums, and was particularly taken by the size of capital ships and the player driven politics that govern nullsec. The first real corp I joined was Yulai Guard (which later founded Yulai Federation), learning about the NRDS policy and the way role-play fits into new eden. Of course, at this early stage I was mainly concerned with gaining isk and skills, and spent a lot of time ratting in R3-K7K with a corpmate (COATL – haven’t seen him around in years) saving up to for a BC (when I finally got my Brutix, it was ganked within 10 minutes, sending back to virtually 0 isk and a thorax). I found ratting in null to be the best source of income at the time, and still to this day consider it a viable option for profit. My advice for players at this stage, as I’m sure has been said a million times, is to join a corp – meet players and work together if you feel like it. You will learn from each others mistakes and experiences, have a lot of fun and earn some isk if you’re lucky!

Due to RL restrictions, I participated with YF and CVA when I could, though was never really a part of anything major in the fight for providence during 2011/12. My worst loss to date occurred during this period – after acquiring my first billion isk through a lot of hard work in my drake, I bought a nightmare. The ship name turned out to be somewhat ironic, as it was lost to rats within its first day due to an escalation that brought web/scram frigates down on me. It was terribly fitted, though I full on rage quit like a 12 year old, closed down the game and cancelled my subscription for several months. Yes, recovering from this took time.

After all of the effort I had put in, I decided when I returned to the game to invest in a couple of PLEX to save me from the grind – at this point I had graduated and began working offshore in RL and therefore had plenty of £££’s but very little time to play (The internet doesn’t work at sea!). I tried running missions for a while with some success, though found it somewhat lacking, despite trying to embellish the scenario’s in my head with a bit of RP like I used to do in the many hours of drake ratting. I joined RvB, and fell in love with small gang pvp, for a while. Still dreaming of being part of something bigger, I had a brief spell in Nulli Secunda, which happened to coincide with the battle famously known as “B-R”, in which I flew a ceptor around for an hour, got sick of the TiDi and contented myself with sitting in the station listening to the comms. Still, I was happy to say that to a small degree, I was in the thick of it. I also had my first carrier at this point, a Chimera, which I used for ratting and found it to be very profitable. However, due to being called away to sea for 1-2 months at a time, contribution to the cause was difficult – and so I slinked off back to hi-sec once again in my solo tax-haven corp until I have some more free time. Right now, I update my training queue as often as I can, and undock every now and then to shoot at some red crosses.

All in all, I’ve had a lot of adventures, both solo and in fleets, and yet feel that I have barely scratched the surface of the depths of New Eden. This is basically an overview of my story – as for the details of the exhilaration, emotion, sense of achievement and simple enjoyment – well, we have all forged these memories, and you will too.

I have yet to scratch the surface of mining, Wormholes, exploration, manufacturing & industry, Faction Warfare, Incursions – blah blah. And yet I consider myself to “know” the game, perhaps naively. Which goes to show just how unique each experience is for new capsuleers!
Siths
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#99 - 2014-08-30 13:21:52 UTC
I started a new job in a big city as a Deputy Sheriff in 2003.

Just so happens that my Sergeant was crazy about this brand new game called Eve Online.

By the end of the first year we had about 10 guys playing full-time.

It's pretty funny when your booking someone into custody and a co-worker asks you if they can borrow some isk to pay their corp dues Shocked

*Snip* Please refrain from discussions in a WTS/WTB thread.

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#100 - 2014-09-16 09:49:44 UTC
Started the game and after 1 week joined another 2 new guys, randomly contacted in local in a new corp we created. We ran DED plexes in high sec for 2 days, then went to low sec. Got marveled by the income of killing NPC BC in belts and the PVP prospect. Lived in low sec for a while. Later when I was able to fly a battleship I started doign some level 4 missiosn to make isk, but hated and went to rat in low sec because was more efficient ( yes it is when you have battleship at level 2 and large guns at 1 :P). About 4 months into the game Went to 0.0 because i wanted to be part of these new supposed huge wars. In the 3rd day in the alliance was part of a looong freighter travel to deploy a station egg in deep 0.0 (yeay no jump freightesrs then make the game much more fun).


From there.. was a normal path..

Been int he great war..

been in a blue dougnut

been in low sec again
been in FW, then went to high sec merc works were I could find small scale pvp of better quality than in0.0 and low sec.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"