These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

[Serious Discussion] This game's community leaves much to be desired

First post First post
Author
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#601 - 2014-03-16 03:48:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Mandarine wrote:

- They develop glee by witnessing their own selves (i:e. not their character) being the cause of the RL distress of some unknown Joe, which they have created by using a video game as a platform.
Citation needed, you have no proof of this, it is merely supposition on your part.
Quote:
Now consider the reveries of many gamers imagining their favorite character, whom they impersonate, waging battles, solving puzzles, interacting in some form or another with other player-controlled characters, all in the environment of the game, and you can see who is playing a game, and who is just using it to harvest Schadenfreude without caring about the ingame narrative.

- You cannot expect people who play a game just to play well, a game, not to get slightly irritated when being targeted by people whose only purpose is to make them mad, and who couldn´t care less about play pretending or developign an ingame narrative
The ingame narrative is generated by players, it's why Eve is considered a player driven game. With no pirates, scammers, Goons (Grr™) and all the other people being villains the ingame narrative would be either non existent or as boring as watching paint dry.

Quote:
- A healthy individual who can relate to other people and feel some kind of empathy, will unconsciously agree to certain fundamental truths regarding interactions with others, when there is communication, verbal or not, and regardless of context.
You're partially right, a healthy individual can relate to and does feel empathy for others. When it comes to context you're wrong, in the context of Eve real life morality is meaningless, within the Eve universe the social norms of the real world do not exist, which is why the Eve universe is described as a dystopia. An apt comparison would be that Eve is the equivalent of, what is now, Europe, during the 30 years war in the early part of the 17th century.

Quote:
There are not many people who enjoy being audience to others´ pain or embarrassment. Those who do usually have deep issues.
Slapstick comedy and Japanese game shows say otherwise.

Divine Entervention wrote:
You are correct in the idea that by choosing to morally disengage from your own conduct that it doesn't necessarily mean you will carry that behavior out of game. I'm not saying you will.

I'm merely explaining that you show a propensity to morally disengage your ethical beliefs. Meaning that since you've proven you'll do it sometimes, who's to say you wont do it again in another context you feel isn't worthy of you needing to maintain your ethical standards?

Because of your proven propensity for such behavior, I'm allowed to classify you as someone who has a propensity to disengage his ethical beliefs depending on his circumstance and treat you as such.

Which is what I'm doing.
You're still failing to make the distinction between real and virtual worlds, and it's a very real distinction.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#602 - 2014-03-16 03:55:25 UTC
Erotica 1 wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to login to the actual game in a few minutes after a quick smoke and see what interesting things happen tonight.


I flew with RvB Ganked and well killed all the things. It was great. I hope no one's feelings got hurt when their pretend spaceships exploded.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Mandarine
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#603 - 2014-03-16 04:05:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Mandarine
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Citation needed, you have no proof of this it is merely supposition on your part.


The ingame narrative is generated by players, it's why Eve is considered a player driven game. With no pirates, scammers, Goons (Grr™) and all the other people being villains the ingame narrative would be either non existent or as boring as watching paint dry.


You're partially right, a healthy individual can relate to and does feel empathy for others. When it comes to context you're wrong, in the context of Eve real life morality is meaningless, within the Eve universe the social norms of the real world do not exist, which is why the Eve universe is described as a dystopia. An apt comparison would be that Eve is the equivalent to what is now Europe, in the 17th century during the 30 year war.


Slapstick comedy and Japanese game shows say otherwise.



This is no suppostion but hard fact. EvE griefers have been parading for years about how they enjoy collecting tears and such, and often state that it´s better than any ingame gain. That´s why they use alts also, the character they use is irrelevant.


Your points 3 & 4 do not take into account the fact stated just above. While the standard gamer wants to play pretend, the griefer/ganker/scammer sees EvE not as a game but as an online app to make people mad IRL. The content he generates is purely out-of-game oriented: his glee at witnessing himself, his RL self, being the cause of the RL rage of a RL person.

Which is why morals and ethics are very much relevant.


Slapstick comedy is comedy, meaning, it´s not real. People don´t really suffer, it´s cathartic comedy. Same for japanese shows. It´s usually absurd and there´s no ill will intended. Intention is very much the cornerstone of human interactions.

Only people with issues laugh when people get hurt IRL, emotionally or physically.
Anslo
Scope Works
#604 - 2014-03-16 04:08:11 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Anslo wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:
Ooh, Anslo is here, I love trolling that dude. I'll be back tomorrow.


He gets so very upset when you won't fight him on his very specific terms, doesn't he?


Kaar gets so very trollish when you point out that he can never fight back anything but miners~


If you call me a national socialist, I'll have Miner Bingo. You're a "PvP player", supposedly, but I am pretty sure that Lord James will give me this one.

Dude wat? I called you a scrub. Government has nothing to do with it.

Much delusion.
Such lulz.
Wow.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

ButtFungus
SOONWAFFE
#605 - 2014-03-16 04:17:35 UTC
Mandarine wrote:

...
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
If you saw a grown man stub his toe and start screaming to the sky about how God needs to get all the pebbles off the sidewalk, you'd laugh too.

There are not many people who enjoy being audience to others´ pain or embarassment. Those who do usually have deep issues.

This is more like enjoying Wile E Coyote fall off a cliff, smack into the ground, and having that acme missile fall on top of him reducing him to coyote dust because they are both Pixels. Except you get to push the coyote off the cliff and drop the missile on his head.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#606 - 2014-03-16 04:22:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Mandarine wrote:
This is no suppostion but hard fact. EvE griefers have been parading for years about how they enjoy collecting tears and such, and often state that it´s better than any ingame gain. That´s why they use alts also, the character they use is irrelevant.
If this is truly the case, the best way of getting rid of people that play solely to collect tears is to not provide them, if there are no tears to collect, will there still be people who collect them?

Quote:
Your points 3 & 4 do not take into account the fact stated just above. While the standard gamer wants to play pretend, the griefer/ganker/scammer sees EvE not as a game but as an online app to make people mad IRL. The content he generates is purely out-of-game oriented: his glee at witnessing himself, his RL self, being the cause of the RL rage of a RL person.
That's because I don't accept your supposition, as far as I'm concerned it's bunkum. If people feel the need to rage over the loss of some pixels then they have problems of their own, and should possibly consider another game, one where their pixels don't explode. Professional help would probably be a good idea too.

Quote:
Which is why morals and ethics are very much relevant.
In real life yes, in a virtual dystopia, not so much.

Quote:
Slapstick comedy is comedy, meaning, it´s not real. People don´t really suffer, it´s cathartic comedy. Same for japanese shows. It´s usually absurd and there´s no ill will intended. Intention is very much the cornerstone of human interactions.

Only people with issues laugh when people get hurt IRL, emotionally or physically.
It's a good thing Eve isn't real life then, like comedy and Japanese game shows it's not real, it's entertainment. People don't really suffer, and there's no real life ill will intended, because it's all within the context of the game.

Now wishing death, crippling disease and general mishaps on someone and their family in real life, because of their actions within the context of a game, that right there is unacceptable behaviour, because there is real ill will intended. Intent as you say is everything. TBH it smacks of the garbage you hear when you're playing FPS's on Xbox Live or PSN, mostly from prepubescent little bastards that should be doing their homework.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#607 - 2014-03-16 04:33:18 UTC
Ok, so slapstick comedy is ok, 3 Stooges stuff and all that.

But hurting someone else's character in a videogame... is not?

Are you literally insane?

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kyperion
#608 - 2014-03-16 05:05:21 UTC
Who really gives a damn, if this is 'supposed' to be a "PVP" games the developers should drop the shenanigans completely remove mining/trading/missions, and their respective ships... **** it all lets just have everybody in one big continuous shoot out....

If that ever happened James 315 and his New order pussies would quit EVE.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#609 - 2014-03-16 05:15:44 UTC
Kyperion wrote:
Who really gives a damn, if this is 'supposed' to be a "PVP" games the developers should drop the shenanigans completely remove mining/trading/missions, and their respective ships... **** it all lets just have everybody in one big continuous shoot out....

If that ever happened James 315 and his New order pussies would quit EVE.
You do realise that technically mining, trading and mission running are all forms of PvP right?

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Kyperion
#610 - 2014-03-16 05:16:39 UTC
Also, in regards to the State of the EVE Online forum community... I think this thread speaks for itself,

Especially the people taking offense to a certain poster's zaney moral arguments... but still fully engaging those arguments instead of keeping it on track.

............................................................................................................................................................

Final Conclusion:

If you claim that EVE is supposed to be PVP all the time, you should want and fight for Every ship to have good if not great PVP combat capability and lethality.

....If not you are a coward, at least in EVE.

/Thread
Kyperion
#611 - 2014-03-16 05:17:59 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Kyperion wrote:
Who really gives a damn, if this is 'supposed' to be a "PVP" games the developers should drop the shenanigans completely remove mining/trading/missions, and their respective ships... **** it all lets just have everybody in one big continuous shoot out....

If that ever happened James 315 and his New order pussies would quit EVE.
You do realise that technically mining, trading and mission running are all forms of PvP right?


That the biggest cop out in the history of gaming.... 'technically' you could view achievements on gaming consoles as a form of "PVP"
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#612 - 2014-03-16 05:20:06 UTC
I STILL say look at the MWO community before you judge this one. Plus the lolz accidentally created by the makers of the game are priceless

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#613 - 2014-03-16 05:20:26 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
Upon further review of the thread, I have come to the conclusion that it has run its' course and will be staying closed. Thank you.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department