These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Plex price manipulation, plex up 20 million in less than 24 hours.

First post
Author
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#61 - 2014-03-11 17:31:03 UTC
ViolentDesire wrote:
It seems there is an effort to shift the purpose of plex to something other than actual game time (multi training queue, magazine sub(?), painted ships). This is some kind of indirect microtransaction thing going on here.

Why would I want to pay real money for this game? Is PvE good? No. Is PvP good? Yes, but generally hard to find. Low sec is dead outside of FW and null is pretty empty. There are annoying bugs that should be easy to fix but have been around for years. Industry is just painful.

Ultimately, every million that goes into plex is one less million that goes into PvP.

Couldn't agree more.

Not today spaghetti.

Serene Repose
#62 - 2014-03-11 17:43:01 UTC
I heartily endorse this service, and or, product.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Salvos Rhoska
#63 - 2014-03-11 18:06:17 UTC
ViolentDesire wrote:
It seems there is an effort to shift the purpose of plex to something other than actual game time (multi training queue, magazine sub(?), painted ships). This is some kind of indirect microtransaction thing going on here.

Why would I want to pay real money for this game? Is PvE good? No. Is PvP good? Yes, but generally hard to find. Low sec is dead outside of FW and null is pretty empty. There are annoying bugs that should be easy to fix but have been around for years. Industry is just painful.

Ultimately, every million that goes into plex is one less million that goes into PvP.

Bye then. Can I have your stuff please?
Real Serious PVPer
Doomheim
#64 - 2014-03-11 18:07:42 UTC
Word must have gotten round that I would be undocking and looking for targets.

[b] Serious about being serious- Putting the "P "into PVP one fight at a time.  MUFC[/b]

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#65 - 2014-03-11 18:18:36 UTC
Caviar Liberta wrote:
Knights Armament wrote:
Icarus Able wrote:
Its more expensive on weekends because more people are online?

Possibly, but someone is buying up most of the plex and relisting, driving prices up. I thought CCP flooded the market with plex to prevent this type of behavior? What is to stop large alliances from using their vast income to buy up all the plex?

CCP doesn't inject plexes into the game. The number of plex is dependent on how many people buy plex from CCP.

CCP have confirmed that they've used ISK and PLEX confiscated from banned accounts to stabilise the PLEX market in the past.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#66 - 2014-03-11 18:20:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Sexy Cakes wrote:
ViolentDesire wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Those "millions" don't disappear. Indeed, most PLEX originate from time-poor, cash rich players who want to PVP, but lack the time to fund their habit through normal in-game means. I'd say that PLEX increase PvP.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Tetsuo Tsukaya
Perkone
Caldari State
#67 - 2014-03-11 18:50:03 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Sexy Cakes wrote:
ViolentDesire wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Those "millions" don't disappear. Indeed, most PLEX originate from time-poor, cash rich players who want to PVP, but lack the time to fund their habit through normal in-game means. I'd say that PLEX increase PvP.

"I would do way more PVP if only I didn't have to spend so much of my ISK I made trading/mining/running a research POS to plex my account" - said nobody ever.

I would strongly suspect that as it is the only major activity that is primarily income negative, people who engage in PVP most likely make up the majority of plex sellers, not buyers. The people making x ISK/HR every time they log in likely aren't also selling plex to supplement their income.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2014-03-11 20:43:46 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:

Why would I want to pay real money for this game?
Is PvE good? No.
Is PvP good? Yes, but generally hard to find.

and still you choose to make PvE even more boring (you NEED to do it for longer time) and PvP even more hard to find (by moving your finances from PvP to PLEX)

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

ViolentDesire
#69 - 2014-03-11 21:10:03 UTC
Tetsuo Tsukaya wrote:

I would strongly suspect that as it is the only major activity that is primarily income negative, people who engage in PVP most likely make up the majority of plex sellers, not buyers. The people making x ISK/HR every time they log in likely aren't also selling plex to supplement their income.

Because prices keep going up, we should then be seeing more PvP. Sounds great.

March rabbit wrote:
and still you choose to make PvE even more boring (you NEED to do it for longer time) and PvP even more hard to find (by moving your finances from PvP to PLEX)

The game isn't good/fun enough for me justify paying in any other way, and given the popularity of plex, it appears im not alone.
Marsha Mallow
#70 - 2014-03-11 21:30:05 UTC
Salvos Rhoska wrote:
No cause for panic. Everything is as it should be.

Posting about plex spikes and ranting a bit is precisely the thing to do, with a variety of possible benefits

• Traders with stockpiles spot the panic and start dumping. Plex is a reasonably popular long term investment for people taking a break so reporting it alerts the unsubbed - particularly if it hits a news site
  • People who might have been about to buy RMT ISK decide they get better value for money from CCP
  • People who occasionally buy Plex to buffer their funds decide now is when they'll get the most return
  • CCP spot the yelling and dump some confiscated Plex to try stabilise things
  • CCP rub their paws together and run a discount Plex offer to cash in
  • CCP adjust the amount of Aurum available for direct sale (currently 2500 Aur for £12.99 vs 3500 from a plex)
  • Somerblink finds a few trillion stashed and an inventive way to RMT it for ETC sales

All of those work to drive prices back down, and benefit the playerbase. So - everybody panic - it's for the best.

Re the whole plexing vs paying debate - it's really down to how you value your time and enjoy spending it. Pay with real money by all means, buy the odd plex and sell it to me. But please don't do the smug justification of how much you earn ph or pay for cinema tickets irl. If you only have one account in game you're probably playing very narrowly. $10 or £10 a month sounds reasonable until you consider many players have multiple accounts - at which point Eve is comparitively expensive.

Not everyone grinds NPCs until their fingers bleed for plex subs either - some of us genuinely enjoy the strategic side of large scale ISK making to the point our enjoyment hinges on it. Just the same as #mindless mission runner 7480 - making ISK for no reason at all other than a sense of achievement. At the extreme end of that are people who will unsub if they see inflation as curbing their enjoyment and returning players (on promo return offers) disgusted at inflation without time to find the new faucets. CCP clearly do monitor this or they would never have committed to intervening where required.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

Tetsuo Tsukaya
Perkone
Caldari State
#71 - 2014-03-11 21:31:37 UTC
ViolentDesire wrote:

March rabbit wrote:

The game isn't good/fun enough for me justify paying in any other way, and given the popularity of plex, it appears im not alone.

It's possible you feel that way because of how many hours you need to spend doing tasks only because you need to pay for PLEX instead of the things you really want to do. There's a stunning variety of gameplay options in EVE once you aren't worried about how much ISK/HR you'll get out of them.
Salvos Rhoska
#72 - 2014-03-11 22:20:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Marsha Mallow wrote:

You didn't actually even read my posts, did you.

I'll just assume you grabbed that random quote out of context and then give you the benefit of the doubt that you addressed the rest of your post to the general reader, rather than to me. Nor am I going to bother debunking much of the nonsense in it as I've already identified from your general posting format that you are not the kind of individual I want to discuss with.

I kindly ask that you refrain from addressing me or my posts in future, and I will reciprocate to you the same courtesy.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#73 - 2014-03-11 23:19:00 UTC
Rightly or wrongly a large part of the player base see the challenge of EVE is making ISK and get a sense of achievement out of seeing the ISK roll in. These people will never pay to sub as it defeats the purpose of playing.

Someone once said to me "much as you may be tempted to cash in on a good deal keep your account above 100 bill, that way if you lose 20 bill in a bad deal or get ganked and lose a 3 or 4 bill ship you can just shrug it off and not lose any sleep".

On the other extreme you see some PvPers posting in local getting all excited about killing a pod with +4 implants when a full set only costs 50 mill (basically one good lvl IV mission worth) and some LP.

ISK means different things to different people and once you get past a certain income in game its not really about buying stuff anymore. its no different in real life. Once you make more than a few thousand a week its pretty hard to spend it on "normal" stuff like haircuts and takeaway you need to buy cars and houses or it just accumulates. Take your income up a step again in real life and its almost impossible to spend it buying stuff you can only "lose it" in bad investments.
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#74 - 2014-03-11 23:42:16 UTC
Whatever will we do? Oh that's right, run one more hub. I was gonna do that anyway...

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

Bael Malefic
Doomheim
#75 - 2014-03-11 23:48:08 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

A big +1 to that. I don't have the time or the patience to multibox an Orca fleet or run a POS for moon goo or manage PI. I have time to fly for pew-pew and that's about it. So I buy the occasional PLEX and sell it when I completely run out of shiny ships to explode with. Although as I get better at PVP I find I am making enough in looting/salvage to fund my bad habit.

I can understand why there are some who think it's OK to pay for their game time with imaginary money they make mining moon goo or whatnot, but it takes real life money to feed the hamsters that keep them servers running.
Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#76 - 2014-03-11 23:51:55 UTC
Right now is when all the people who subbed after the b-5 promotion will be running out of play time.

So they're inflating the price so the new people won't be able to afford playying.
Regan Rotineque
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2014-03-12 01:07:17 UTC
Soooo...I should not buy 1000 plex to makes all them purdy new blue abbys?

But they so purdy...me likey

Want big blue Apoc too.......plex= 800m when that happen
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#78 - 2014-03-12 01:14:49 UTC
Considering the entire rest of GD got moved to other forums, how did this thread miss getting moved to market Discussion ?
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#79 - 2014-03-12 01:17:34 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Considering the entire rest of GD got moved to other forums, how did this thread miss getting moved to market Discussion ?
Shhh you're discussing over moderation.

That's bad mmkay. We'll all be in trouble shortly.
45thtiger 0109
Pan-Intergalatic Business Community
#80 - 2014-03-12 01:21:15 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:
What the hell is going on.

Prices goes up and down on plexes that is apart of the EvE market cycle.

Ask the Goons they will know why LolP

**You Have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

Welcome to EvE OnLiNe**