These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Ship Painting Pilot Program

First post First post First post
Author
Crasniya
The Aussienauts
#361 - 2014-03-07 03:25:22 UTC
asteroidjas, my Hyperion is in that category. I intend to buy the BPC and hang onto it for the time being. I figure if they convert to fitting slots, they'll have to convert the BPCs to the socket item. (And convert the special ships to the standard ones with the skin item in the socket.)

Soraya Xel - Council of Planetary Management 1 - soraya@biomassed.net

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#362 - 2014-03-07 03:32:09 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

I'll buy that pink and white skin for my Widow for a billion ISK. Why the heck not?
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#363 - 2014-03-07 03:34:30 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
not sure if asked but will the skin show up on kill mails?

That's what it says in the dev blog.
The Slayer
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#364 - 2014-03-07 03:36:28 UTC
Awesome first step CCP, glad to see ship skins finally landing. Must throw my voice into the "would like this as a module slot" count though, since otherwise how am I ever going to get my "1up Mushroom" themed Avatar?
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#365 - 2014-03-07 03:50:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
asteroidjas wrote:
Also, this is like trying to gauge the market interest of various colored balls, while only offering RED balls. What if someone doesn't like red, what if they like yellow, or green?

Here's how I figure it might have happened:

CCP Blue: "So, we want to test the waters with custom ship skins before we commit to the development work required to do it properly. Should we offer a sampler platter first?"

CCP Red: "Yup, sounds good."

[CCP Red digs around in database for a few minutes]

CCP Red: "There you go Blue, the most commonly lost battleships are Abaddons and Rokhs, so perhaps we should start with those?"

CCP Blue: "Sounds good, what could possibly go wrong?"

Here's how I would have done it:

CCP Flood: "But guys, why don't we start a Trebor style voting thing? List all the ships and get people to vote for their favourites, then pick the top four?"

[Time passes]

CCP Flood: "See! Everyone wants a custom yellow and black striped Dominix. That's what we should offer for the sake of testing the waters. And you already know what the most popular bling ships are."

CCP Drought: "Yeah, everyone in Lanngisi is flying officer-fit Machariels and CNRs. You reckon they'd buy this stuff?"

CCP Flood: "Yup. Make the Domibee a disposable option, five bucks a copy. Make the shiny platinum CNR 7000 Aurum. They'll lap it up."

CCP Drought: "Two PLEX for a ship skin?"

CCP Flood: "Never underestimate the depth of a player's wallet."

[Time passes]

CCP Drought: "We just made two million dollars on shiny platinum CNRs, and a few thousand on Domibees. What the hell?"

CCP Flood: "Yup. All the mission runner bruthas gotta honour their mothas. And we controlled the level of proletariat rage by offering them cake and circuses. You'll keep making a thousand a month off the combat skins, but the once a year replacement of bling skins are pretty much your bread and butter."

i.e.: note to CCP: if you want to make money, you go where the money is.

PS: it might be worth releasing the frigates at different price points, i.e. riter at 45 Aurum for 1, 5, 10 run BPC. Then players can vote with their wallets.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#366 - 2014-03-07 03:52:43 UTC
The Slayer wrote:
Awesome first step CCP, glad to see ship skins finally landing. Must throw my voice into the "would like this as a module slot" count though, since otherwise how am I ever going to get my "1up Mushroom" themed Avatar?

Read the dev blog.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#367 - 2014-03-07 03:54:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
Desert Ice78 wrote:
Just don't clutter up the market (add filters and such.)

WHOOP WHOOP!

They address both issues in the dev blog!

Of course the second issue is addressed in the seminal work by CCP Games, THIS IS THE SOUND OF THE SPACE POLICE!
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#368 - 2014-03-07 04:07:39 UTC
Tsobai Hashimoto wrote:
PS: I really really really want to see some FW LP Store Skins!

Yup.

Would also be nice if NPC LP stores could accept Aurum in place of LP. So one price in LP + ISK, a difference price in Aurum + ISK. Get rid of the Noble Exchange, or move it to its own NPC faction with their own station.
Marc McIntyre Crendraven
Brave Empire Inc.
Brave United
#369 - 2014-03-07 04:12:01 UTC
I really like the idea but the current method of implementation is not good at all. Why not just do like some here have suggested, maybe something like an insurance window with paintjobs that cost a certain amount of ISK, or something obtained through loyalty point stores. I know this isnt final for CCP but I do hope they change it.

Eat Lead!!! Err....Antimatter...whatever!

Vance Armistice
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#370 - 2014-03-07 04:15:49 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Woop Woop!

CCP FoxFour wrote:
Woop! Woop!

CCP Logibro wrote:
WOOP WOOP!

CCP Falcon wrote:
woop woop!

CCP Legion wrote:
WOOP WOOP!

Look at all of these posers biting off Mr. G!!!

Where is the real thing?!? Free CCP Guard!!!! Cool
Badden Powell
No Chit
#371 - 2014-03-07 04:22:30 UTC
Every time the topic of custom ship skins comes up, my knee jerk response is "paint all my ships orange with black racing stripes" in honor of my dearly departed Mustang (may she rest in pieces). The approach using BPC's for paint jobs isn't what i expected. But in the context of gathering information on interest in the project, it works as a first step. I look at the character creation tool, and how detailed it is and dream of that power applied to the painting of a ship. I'm not a programer, I don't know the first thing about how to make eve as it is now adapt to the possibility of every Tom, Richard (it wont let me use the short nameEvil), and Jane flying completely different colored spaceships. But it is a highpoint to aim for. That said, I love that the police comet is making a comeback. I'm seeing the price for the hull spike in forge region. this is your first data point for this experiment, market fluctuation of the Fed navy comet in anticipation of the new skin. I bought 3 just for that purpose Big smile
Verner Aihaken
Perkone
Caldari State
#372 - 2014-03-07 04:23:24 UTC
Jurik McMoney wrote:

I think pink ships will destroy any space ship atmosphere, so you should allow just those typical eve colours in all of it's dark directions and more less light directions.

I can't get the vision out of my head... I warp into an asteroid belt and it's crawling with pink miners.
Milton Middleson
Rifterlings
#373 - 2014-03-07 04:47:38 UTC
Regarding prices on frigate ships at least: 8-10 million isk is a fairly steep price for a 5-6 million isk ship that is generally regarded as totally disposable. I would buy 1 or 2 of each as collectors items at that price, but the ships I undock to fight in would mostly be sporting the standard paint job.

You may want to cut the prices by a factor of 5-10 for frigates. It wouldn't be every ship, but I wouldn't balk at using a stack of rusty merlins for pvp. An extra million isk per ship on a stack of 20 ships is more overall movement than 10 million isk on a single hangar decoration.
Kiela Paine
Paine Corporation
#374 - 2014-03-07 04:58:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Kiela Paine
i like it.

But what I'm hoping for is a more customizable feature in the future. The pre-determined ones are great, but I would really like to see custom ship skinning implemented in the manufacturing process, the only extra cost being perhaps some newly created item that is implemented into the game with said feature.

That way an individual or corporation who manufactures ships etc can add their own sort of flavor to the world of EVE! And furthermore, alliances can set up a color scheme for ships in their navy.

I understand that there are legacy coding issues for something that like that at the moment, but wouldn't that be grand?
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#375 - 2014-03-07 05:08:30 UTC
These paint jobs should probably be extremely cheap. If they cost the same as any of the T2 modules you'd be fitting to your ship (You could base the price of the skins on the price of that hull-size's weapon modules, for example) then I'd guess there wouldn't be many people who would undock without a paintjob.

Regardless, I don't know how you're going to accurately gauge interest in skins as a feature when the test-feature is nothing like what the end result would be. I know I'm not very interested in a Rokh covered in blotchy red spots or an Abaddon that looks like it was Plastidipped blue, but I'd go nuts if I could paint my Machariel* in a Sukhoi winter-dazzle theme :D (See this image).

Give me the ability to make my own skins and then apply them to ships for a reasonable amount of money (the cost of a module or two), and I'll almost never undock in an un-skinned ship again, I can promise you that.

*And by "my Machariel," I mean, "Every ship I own."
Sieges
#376 - 2014-03-07 05:15:45 UTC
This looks really cool. One question though: can we revert a paint job back to the original color if we want to? Like with a "Paint Job Removal BP"?
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#377 - 2014-03-07 05:18:51 UTC
Verner Aihaken wrote:
I can't get the vision out of my head... I warp into an asteroid belt and it's crawling with pink miners.

Pink care bear ships would be awesome, just for harvesting tears from the "elite PvPers" who take the dark, cold thing a bit too seriously. I'll be signing up for a Pink orca and a half dozen pink skiffs please! Just like the pink Scorpion that Caldari Prime Pony Club was joking with.

Anyone CCPer who says, "no pink ships," is oblivious to the trolling potential of such colours.
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#378 - 2014-03-07 05:24:04 UTC
Black Legion People.... a BLACK LEGION!!!

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Nam Dnilb
Universal Frog
#379 - 2014-03-07 05:26:33 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
[CCP Red digs around in database for a few minutes]

CCP Red: "There you go Blue, the most commonly lost battleships are Abaddons and Rokhs, so perhaps we should start with those?"

CCP Blue: "Sounds good, what could possibly go wrong?"

If this were true facts™ this little discussion would have taken place in late 2011, wouldn't it? I like that thought for some reason, because I am very weird.
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Masters of Flying Objects
#380 - 2014-03-07 05:27:11 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
not sure if asked but will the skin show up on kill mails?

That's what it says in the dev blog.

It shows the new name of the ship, no mention of a change unless you know what you are looking at.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.