These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Reasons for DDOSing!

Author
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#21 - 2014-03-05 15:59:07 UTC
Well if the culprit will just step forward, I'll offer him a bonus round for his bravery in facing the music. CCP Falcon is welcome to be a special guest escrow agent.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#22 - 2014-03-05 16:16:06 UTC
Remissus Rinah wrote:
I could totally see that. ...Except I doubt he's a lawyer. No lawyer I've heard of has spelling and grammar that atrocious. If he is a lawyer, he'd better have magical powers because otherwise he probably sucks at his job.

Not everyone that plays EvE has English as a first language and there are signs in his writing that indicate that's the case in that situation.

It's a more entertaining story if he is a criminal lawyer.
Remissus Rinah
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2014-03-05 16:23:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Remissus Rinah
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Remissus Rinah wrote:
I could totally see that. ...Except I doubt he's a lawyer. No lawyer I've heard of has spelling and grammar that atrocious. If he is a lawyer, he'd better have magical powers because otherwise he probably sucks at his job.

Not everyone that plays EvE has English as a first language and there are signs in his writing that indicate that's the case in that situation.

It's a more entertaining story if he is a criminal lawyer.

English is not my first language either. As arrogant as it may sound, I find it hard to believe that a professional in such an orderly and precise profession would show such a reckless disregard for the rules of the language being used... To the point where even a loser college amateur like myself is able to outperform him.

I will, however, concede that this whole situation is way more entertaining if he is a criminal lawyer. P

~ Remissus

Abrei-Kaii
Petrolinvest
#24 - 2014-03-05 16:29:17 UTC
Reasons people DDOS? To be dicks... I realize that being a **** on the internet for no other reason then being a **** is a new concept... :p

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure that all the issues are 100% caused by DDOS attacks. My issues and the issues of alot of other people started Friday after downtime. There was a mini patch that Friday. I dont know about anyone else but my issues got substantially better after yesterdays Mini patch.

I'm still having issues, they just arent as severe as they were Friday-Sunday where the game was unplayable at best.

Once they get the servers secure, I would seriously look at the Friday patch deployment. It may fix alot of issues.
RomeStar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#25 - 2014-03-05 16:37:14 UTC
Maybe it was that Wow lawyer on TMC who lost the overpriced raven.

Signatured removed, CCP Phantom

Vyl Vit
#26 - 2014-03-05 16:58:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Vyl Vit
Eccon Dustwaver wrote:
I can think of many reasons but will keep my opinion about the state of the game and CCP to myself for now.
Does this mean we can expect an earthshaking expose in the near future?
Serene Repose wrote:
Why? 'Cause we're cool. It's cool to f*ck with the cool guys...uh, and gals...of course.
I second "cool". I'd add an -est to that.

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2014-03-05 17:29:28 UTC
I know that other online games have seen some high profile DDOS attacks since the start of this year, and the ones hitting League of Legends have continued intermittently. I'm not suggesting all of these attacks are by the same people, but there's certainly a lot of copycats. This probably has nothing to do with eve itself and more to do with hitting a popular online game.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Spurty
#28 - 2014-03-05 17:38:10 UTC
I Riven I wrote:
Hi, Id like to discuss a few things here,..

What could it be and the reasons behind someone wanting to DDOS CCP ??

Lets bring it down to where it all started.

1- Why do you think CCP is getting DDOSed?
2- Do you think CCP brought this upon itself?
3- What did CCP might have done wrong?

Just looking for reasons, because people dont ddos others for no reason.

Share your thoughts.

CURRENT CORPORATION
Hedion University [HU] from 2014.01.25 13:30 to this day

Who is your main? Sorry, on a diet. Won't contemplate any questions fielded by N00b corp members until their main appears and poses the question.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

BuckStrider
Nano-Tech Experiments
#29 - 2014-03-05 18:30:32 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
Maybe its because we are all bad people?

Maybe whoever is DDOSsing us somehow lost an officer fit NRI....twice and is now seeking justice?

Well. He is 40, a lawyer and has MANY resources.

It's true....I read it at one of the eve "news" sites

Mine smart. Mine safe. Purchase your mining permit today...... www.minerbumping.com

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#30 - 2014-03-05 18:52:17 UTC
I Riven I wrote:

Share your thoughts.

I don't know - I presume someone got ganked and now they mad.

but... if people keep getting SP reimbursement for short outages, and given the way some people are around here, then there will be an incentive for "that kind of person" to DDOS more or get someone to do it, because if a small SP reimbursement means they have a .01 percent advantage over an opponent in PVP or .01 more ISK per hour, they want it.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#31 - 2014-03-05 18:57:33 UTC
Ive seen a few loot piƱata shipmails and some juicy pods lately that have resulted in some rather nice local rage and evemail threats. I wouldn't put it past some of these rather immature individuals to try to make the whole universe pay for their AFK use of the autopilot.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

LUMINOUS SPIRIT
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#32 - 2014-03-05 19:19:21 UTC
Some alliance has a tower coming out of reinforced somewhere probably, and they want to prevent a fight or something. Most likely.
Storm Novah
Yada Industries
#33 - 2014-03-05 19:44:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Storm Novah
RomeStar wrote:
Maybe it was that Wow lawyer on TMC who lost the overpriced raven.

Actually the first of the most recent ddos attacks was on Feb 28th which was before the WoW lawyer had his issues.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#34 - 2014-03-05 19:51:47 UTC
i doubt any of the 'officer raven guy' posts are serious
Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2014-03-05 20:02:32 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
I Riven I wrote:

Share your thoughts.

Your post amounts to 'blaming the victim'

CCP were wearing skirts that were too short?

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Kelven Xyn
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2014-03-05 20:10:41 UTC
Cause of CCP Fozzies Nerf's. ^^
More and more geting sick of it,i think and because CCP ignore Community Politic's,they do it this way.
Praetor Meles
Black Mount Industrial
Breakpoint.
#37 - 2014-03-05 20:18:45 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
Some alliance has a tower coming out of reinforced somewhere probably, and they want to prevent a fight or something. Most likely.

space tin-foil best tin-foil

[insert random rubbish that irritates you personally] is further evidence that Eve is dying/thriving*

• delete as required to make your point
Tesco Ergo Sum
#38 - 2014-03-05 20:32:26 UTC
People are simply abusing the latest round of attack vectors and many targets are being hit.

Keeps me busy and it's enjoyable reading what you think.

If you want to help check/upgrade your router...

http://www.arbornetworks.com/asert/2014/02/ntp-attacks-welcome-to-the-hockey-stick-era/

Disclosure, I do not work for Arbor Networks but I use their products...
Hallvardr
#39 - 2014-03-05 21:02:21 UTC
Being in the IT industry since ... well .. a real freaking long time (think punch cards), I've been asked this about viruses (Virii ?) malware and DDoS attacks where its clear that there was no attempt to get sensitive data time and time again. Usually after I've sterilized a machine or system.

I've come to the conclusion its for the same reason people "tag" or graffiti train cars or other highly visible (non turf related) items. Its to get attention. To possibly get noticed in the news.

Think about it .. you take down MSN's site .. and your work is in the news. You take down CCPs servers or other large internet entities web site .. and you're in the news somewhere.

The people that do this thrive on the tears of their victims ... wait .. where have I heard that before ... hmmmm
voetius
Grundrisse
#40 - 2014-03-05 21:18:47 UTC
Tippia wrote:
I Riven I wrote:
Yes they do.

my kneejerk reaction to this was "there is always a reason", but after a few seconds I remembered that sometimes, when the decision isn't really important and I can't be bothered to make an effort I will flip a coin to decide. So, no, there doesn't need to be a reason.