These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

NEW weapon system :magnetic fields weapon

Author
Damien White
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#41 - 2014-03-01 20:36:41 UTC
How about we call this new weapon a *insert_random_scifi_slang* tractor beam?

Or maybe .... Stasis Webbifier? Does it prevent warping? How about Warp Disruptor

Or Tractor beaming stasis webbing warp disrupting pushy thingy?

In Short TBSWWDPT?

97% of girls would die if Justin Bieber were about to jump off a cliff. Post this in your sig if you`re part of the 3% yelling,

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Lephia DeGrande
Luxembourg Space Union
#42 - 2014-03-01 22:59:36 UTC
Some kind of bumping modul would be cool. But i would suggsest Bombs instead.
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#43 - 2014-03-02 19:24:00 UTC
Here is another way the mechanic could work. Earlier at the corps POS in .2 I ran into a parked Iteron IV at full speed with a Venture. The Venture nearly flipped the Iteron IV end over end. I then approached the Iteron IV at a close range of 500m and the Venture still cause the Iteron IV's engines to turn on and move several meters.

The same mechanics involved with bumping could be used in a module where the field extends around the ship at various distances and would bump the attacked ship in various magnitudes.
Dolorous Tremmens
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2014-03-02 19:48:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Dolorous Tremmens
ah yes, the bumping ray/field.. seen this somewhere before, seems like the bad idea thread.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4260527#post4260527

I'd probably only use this to drop kick corpses at the 4-4 undock in jita.

Its a bad idea, no matter what implementation. the ray would be a bit less of a headache, because you can't target things in pos shields, and the field could be used for pos bowling, which CCP says is a no-no

Get some Eve. Make it yours.

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#45 - 2014-03-02 22:59:47 UTC
Damien White wrote:
Please look up how railguns work.

EDIT: Btw, the Armor of spaceships usually is not made out of any kind of metal.

Tritanium is a metal. More than that, it's quite unstable within an atmosphere.
Ayeshah Volfield
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2014-03-03 00:47:18 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
Here is another way the mechanic could work. Earlier at the corps POS in .2 I ran into a parked Iteron IV at full speed with a Venture. The Venture nearly flipped the Iteron IV end over end. I then approached the Iteron IV at a close range of 500m and the Venture still cause the Iteron IV's engines to turn on and move several meters.

The same mechanics involved with bumping could be used in a module where the field extends around the ship at various distances and would bump the attacked ship in various magnitudes.

How about a ramming ship class ?

Basically, attaching itself to a target ship and using its thrusters to move it to a tactically more favorable position in the field, stopping it's motion, etc...

EVE is what happens when the rule of law does not apply and Darwinism is allowed to run freely.

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#47 - 2014-03-03 00:56:27 UTC
A magnetic pulse is more likely to damage electronics than to do any appreciable damage to the armor of a ship, a pulse that strong would be something very special Lol

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2014-03-03 01:08:48 UTC
Magnetic fields drop as an inverse square of distance. More likely would be an electromagnetic lance that interacts with the target's shields and armour energy fields to push/pull as required. I doubt magnetics would work against the ship itself as most materials would likely be very light non ferrous alloys , ceramics, and plastics.

Oh, and rail guns aren't magnetic weapons as such, they are high amp elctromagnetic weapons. An enormous charge passes across the ammo (usually saboted) which induces a velocity on the ammo slug via the three-finger rule in physics (can't remember the proper name). These weapons exist now and are under test for naval applications
Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2014-03-04 08:31:35 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
Magnetic fields drop as an inverse square of distance. More likely would be an electromagnetic lance that interacts with the target's shields and armour energy fields to push/pull as required. I doubt magnetics would work against the ship itself as most materials would likely be very light non ferrous alloys , ceramics, and plastics.

Oh, and rail guns aren't magnetic weapons as such, they are high amp elctromagnetic weapons. An enormous charge passes across the ammo (usually saboted) which induces a velocity on the ammo slug via the three-finger rule in physics (can't remember the proper name). These weapons exist now and are under test for naval applications

I like what this guy says.Electromagnetic lance .Dryson has many good ideas which could work.

And no this field couln't bump poses but only ships directly.

Maybe this weapon could work like the big ship of star trek into darkness which could bring closer smaller ships or push away ships.Something like that.

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Dente Magnus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2014-03-04 10:48:14 UTC
Egravant Alduin wrote:
Silivar Karkun wrote:
railguns use magnetic fields to shoot plasma.........the OP proposes something akin to an smartbomb........you activate it and send a magnetic puls, TBH that sounds more like an EWAR module than a weapon......

Yes something like that.The idea is to have new weapons and not make eve more complex.

No. They use magnetic fields to shoot solid projectiles.
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#51 - 2014-03-04 14:15:29 UTC
Silivar Karkun wrote:
railguns use magnetic fields to shoot plasma.........the OP proposes something akin to an smartbomb........you activate it and send a magnetic puls, TBH that sounds more like an EWAR module than a weapon......

Wut? That is not a railgun by any definition. A rail gun is called that because it has rails. If it were shooting plasma, why would it need rails? You would only need a high-intensity magnetic field, and that does not require rails, only magnets and perhaps a wave-guide.

What you describe sounds more like a blaster. Or an Ion Implant tool for making microchips.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2014-03-29 21:44:35 UTC
Anyway I like this game and some suggestions might work and make it better.Thank you all.

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Previous page123