These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

NEW weapon system :magnetic fields weapon

Author
Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2014-03-01 15:10:14 UTC
Hi guys,
What you think of a new weapon system that create magnetic field pulses against the target?

Like pulses with cycles that work and affect with magnetism ?

Maybe a close range weapon with very limited damage but that bypasses all resists?

Any ideas and proposals are welcome!Thank you!

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#2 - 2014-03-01 15:18:04 UTC
Step 1: Make armor out of non-magnetic material.
Step 2: Laugh at enemy.
Step 3: Profit.
Damien White
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-03-01 15:26:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Damien White
Please look up how railguns work.

EDIT: Btw, the Armor of spaceships usually is not made out of any kind of metal.

97% of girls would die if Justin Bieber were about to jump off a cliff. Post this in your sig if you`re part of the 3% yelling,

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Psianh Auvyander
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2014-03-01 15:50:42 UTC
But more importantly, what would this add to EVE Online besides complexity?

My Blog

@wsethbrown

Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-03-01 15:53:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Egravant Alduin
Damien White wrote:
Please look up how railguns work.

EDIT: Btw, the Armor of spaceships usually is not made out of any kind of metal.



Interesting didn't know that.And what armors are made of?

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Kaerakh
Obscure Joke Implied
#6 - 2014-03-01 15:55:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaerakh
Damien White wrote:
Please look up how railguns work.

EDIT: Btw, the Armor of spaceships usually is not made out of any kind of metal.


A railgun is a set of 'rails' that accelerate a projectile magnetically at very high velocity producing extreme kinetic force.
Egravant Alduin wrote:
Hi guys,
What you think of a new weapon system that create magnetic field pulses against the target?

Like pulses with cycles that work and affect with magnetism ?

Maybe a close range weapon with very limited damage but that bypasses all resists?

This is not a railgun.

I'd also like to see where you learned that EVE ships are not made of any metallic material. Blink
Silivar Karkun
Doomheim
#7 - 2014-03-01 15:57:21 UTC
railguns use magnetic fields to shoot plasma.........the OP proposes something akin to an smartbomb........you activate it and send a magnetic puls, TBH that sounds more like an EWAR module than a weapon......

DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#8 - 2014-03-01 15:58:36 UTC
Egravant Alduin wrote:
Damien White wrote:
Please look up how railguns work.

EDIT: Btw, the Armor of spaceships usually is not made out of any kind of metal.



Interesting didn't know that.And what armor are made of?


I guess Steel Plates means that the armor is made out of Yule Bread....meh. Learn something new everyday.


I think what the OP means is a repulsion type of weapon that when used could force a ship away from the attacking ship based upon the mass of the targeted vessel and the capacitor of the targeting ship.

Not certain if CCP fixed it or not but before when you warped into a belt and came in contact with an asteroid the impact would send your ship hurtling at outrageous velocities nearly 100 times the ships actual velocity in the opposite direction.

If CCP could incorporate this fluke into an actual module and mechanic of the game PVP and PVE would take on a whole other level.
Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-03-01 15:59:22 UTC
Silivar Karkun wrote:
railguns use magnetic fields to shoot plasma.........the OP proposes something akin to an smartbomb........you activate it and send a magnetic puls, TBH that sounds more like an EWAR module than a weapon......



Yes something like that.The idea is to have new weapons and not make eve more complex.

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2014-03-01 16:00:24 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
Egravant Alduin wrote:
Damien White wrote:
Please look up how railguns work.

EDIT: Btw, the Armor of spaceships usually is not made out of any kind of metal.



Interesting didn't know that.And what armor are made of?


I guess Steel Plates means that the armor is made out of Yule Bread....meh. Learn something new everyday.


I think what the OP means is a repulsion type of weapon that when used could force a ship away from the attacking ship based upon the mass of the targeted vessel and the capacitor of the targeting ship.

Not certain if CCP fixed it or not but before when you warped into a belt and came in contact with an asteroid the impact would send your ship hurtling at outrageous velocities nearly 100 times the ships actual velocity in the opposite direction.

If CCP could incorporate this fluke into an actual module and mechanic of the game PVP and PVE would take on a whole other level.


Yes yes we are doing something.Thank you.One like from me.

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Silivar Karkun
Doomheim
#11 - 2014-03-01 16:04:55 UTC
the thing with the magnetic pulse is that is more likely to be effective against shields, not so much for armor, also, magnetism doesnt produce any harm in fact it protects from solar winds so as a war platform it would enter more in the field of electronic dampening. i mean, damage to electronic systems.......and as an extension it could potentially be used against shield.

but im not sure....
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#12 - 2014-03-01 16:10:17 UTC
Just keep talking about the idea and go into depth with the idea even more to keep the thread going.

You will have to define some mechanics involving physics such as a stationary ship using the module would be have to use x amount of capacitor at range x to effect the targeted ship at range x from the stationary ship to effect the blow back or repulsion of the targeted ship.

The criteria below is the mechanics that need established. The first column is the players ship using the module and the second column is the effected ship

Stationary ship vs. stationary ship

Stationary ship vs. orbiting ship

Stationary ship vs. incoming ship

Stationary ship vs. outgoing ship


Orbiting ship vs. stationary ship

Orbiting ship vs. orbiting ship

Orbiting ship vs. incoming ship

Orbiting ship vs. outgoing ship


Incoming ship vs. stationary ship

Incoming ship vs. orbiting ship

Incoming ship vs. incoming ship

Incoming ship vs. outgoing ship


Outgoing ship vs. stationary ship

Outgoing ship vs. orbiting ship

Outgoing ship vs. incoming ship

Outgoing ship vs. outgoing ship



DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#13 - 2014-03-01 16:14:02 UTC  |  Edited by: DrysonBennington
Silivar Karkun wrote:
the thing with the magnetic pulse is that is more likely to be effective against shields, not so much for armor, also, magnetism doesnt produce any harm in fact it protects from solar winds so as a war platform it would enter more in the field of electronic dampening. i mean, damage to electronic systems.......and as an extension it could potentially be used against shield.

but im not sure....



It would have to be either Kinetic, Explosive or Heat in the terms of force applied as all of these forces have a type of Newtonian Physics applied and will remain constant with " when a body has a force placed against it the body will react comparable to the force placed against it."



EM would not be used because it really does not have a physical force multiplier but is geared more towards particle disruption at the atomic level.
Damien White
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-03-01 16:19:37 UTC
Kaerakh wrote:


This is not a railgun.


Well, no, but a railgun is the evolution of his idea. It is far more deadly to simply fire a junk of metal at Mach 7 or more than to produce a weapon that creates a magnetic field strong enough to rip apart structures over long distances.

Btw, do you guys have any idea how magnetic fields work? You cant simply direct them like some sort of unfocused laser, you know?


Kaerakh wrote:
I'd also like to see where you learned that EVE ships are not made of any metallic material. Blink


Metal would be way to stiff and heavy. As far as I know, "real" spaceships would most likely be made out of compund material out of ceramics, plastic and carbon. Also, not every material can be magnetized or influenzed by magnets, Titanium for example is not.

97% of girls would die if Justin Bieber were about to jump off a cliff. Post this in your sig if you`re part of the 3% yelling,

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-03-01 16:26:15 UTC
Damien White wrote:
Kaerakh wrote:


This is not a railgun.


Well, no, but a railgun is the evolution of his idea. It is far more deadly to simply fire a junk of metal at Mach 7 or more than to produce a weapon that creates a magnetic field strong enough to rip apart structures over long distances.

Btw, do you guys have any idea how magnetic fields work? You cant simply direct them like some sort of unfocused laser, you know?


Kaerakh wrote:
I'd also like to see where you learned that EVE ships are not made of any metallic material. Blink


Metal would be way to stiff and heavy. As far as I know, "real" spaceships would most likely be made out of compund material out of ceramics, plastic and carbon. Also, not every material can be magnetized or influenzed by magnets, Titanium for example is not.


Do you know magneto of x-men?Something like that but in a weapon system.Also for your information in real life US military is already making some tests with magnetic weapons that work like that and affect or damage structures .

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Damien White
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-03-01 16:30:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Damien White
Well, show me proof of the US military stuff that does not belong to some Sci Fi site or in the realm of conspiracy theories.

No matter how powerfull you think the US military is, they can not redefine physics.



And Magneto is a freakin fictional character.


just in case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

97% of girls would die if Justin Bieber were about to jump off a cliff. Post this in your sig if you`re part of the 3% yelling,

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Silivar Karkun
Doomheim
#17 - 2014-03-01 16:32:32 UTC
i once tried to suggest new types of weapons, they got scrapped because they did look similar to other weapon systems. you have to analize the weapon systems we have right now in order to invent something new TBH:

-lasers: cap dependant, semipermanent ammo, instant ammo swap, huge optimal and huge falloff, limited to EM/Therm

-hybrids: not so cap dependant, ammo dependant, good optimal and rate of fire, not so good falloff, limited to Therm/Kin

-projectiles: no cap dependant, ammo dependant, short optimal and really long falloff, all around damage types but limited to Kin/Exp in T2

-missiles: no cap dependant, ammo dependant, damage is equal for all 4 damage types, missiles are an entity and can be
destroyed in flight, long rate of fire..

-drones: no cap dependant, nto so much ammo requirement, damage depends on the drone, all damage types covered, limited by bandwidth and dronebay capacity, sentries depend in omnidirectional tracking links, flying drones depend in navigation computers, maximum of 5 drones, drones can be destroyed, ship gets unbonused weapons as support...

-smartbombs: heavy cap dependant, not so long rate of fire, limited by AoE range, all damage types covered, no bonuses from any hull at this moment, does damage equally to friend and foes, concord penalized

-bombs: huge AoE, huge damage, all damage types covered, short flight time, can be destroyed in flight, banned from empire space.....

from this the only damage combos that hasnt been covered are: EM/Kin, Therm/Explosive and EM/Explosive as a whole......and we have practically covered all the possible weapon doctrines......
Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2014-03-01 16:32:41 UTC
DrysonBennington wrote:
Just keep talking about the idea and go into depth with the idea even more to keep the thread going.

You will have to define some mechanics involving physics such as a stationary ship using the module would be have to use x amount of capacitor at range x to effect the targeted ship at range x from the stationary ship to effect the blow back or repulsion of the targeted ship.

The criteria below is the mechanics that need established. The first column is the players ship using the module and the second column is the effected ship

Stationary ship vs. stationary ship

Stationary ship vs. orbiting ship

Stationary ship vs. incoming ship

Stationary ship vs. outgoing ship


Orbiting ship vs. stationary ship

Orbiting ship vs. orbiting ship

Orbiting ship vs. incoming ship

Orbiting ship vs. outgoing ship


Incoming ship vs. stationary ship

Incoming ship vs. orbiting ship

Incoming ship vs. incoming ship

Incoming ship vs. outgoing ship


Outgoing ship vs. stationary ship

Outgoing ship vs. orbiting ship

Outgoing ship vs. incoming ship

Outgoing ship vs. outgoing ship





Yup you are good.And for the guys that responded to you all ships in eve are based on tritanium and tritanium is a metal.So it will work in some way.

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2014-03-01 16:34:45 UTC
Silivar Karkun wrote:
i once tried to suggest new types of weapons, they got scrapped because they did look similar to other weapon systems. you have to analize the weapon systems we have right now in order to invent something new TBH:

-lasers: cap dependant, semipermanent ammo, instant ammo swap, huge optimal and huge falloff, limited to EM/Therm

-hybrids: not so cap dependant, ammo dependant, good optimal and rate of fire, not so good falloff, limited to Therm/Kin

-projectiles: no cap dependant, ammo dependant, short optimal and really long falloff, all around damage types but limited to Kin/Exp in T2

-missiles: no cap dependant, ammo dependant, damage is equal for all 4 damage types, missiles are an entity and can be
destroyed in flight, long rate of fire..

-drones: no cap dependant, nto so much ammo requirement, damage depends on the drone, all damage types covered, limited by bandwidth and dronebay capacity, sentries depend in omnidirectional tracking links, flying drones depend in navigation computers, maximum of 5 drones, drones can be destroyed, ship gets unbonused weapons as support...

-smartbombs: heavy cap dependant, not so long rate of fire, limited by AoE range, all damage types covered, no bonuses from any hull at this moment, does damage equally to friend and foes, concord penalized

-bombs: huge AoE, huge damage, all damage types covered, short flight time, can be destroyed in flight, banned from empire space.....

from this the only damage combos that hasnt been covered are: EM/Kin, Therm/Explosive and EM/Explosive as a whole......and we have practically covered all the possible weapon doctrines......


What if this new weapon system would bypass resists since it would affect the ships directly with magnetism and the damage though was low?

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Egravant Alduin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2014-03-01 16:41:12 UTC
Damien White wrote:
Well, show me proof of the US military stuff that does not belong to some Sci Fi site or in the realm of conspiracy theories.

No matter how powerfull you think the US military is, they can not redefine physics.



And Magneto is a freakin fictional character.


just in case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field


And this game isn't a science fiction game?Since it is why we don 't add more imagination?

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

123Next page