These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Why are some people "afraid" of EvE?

First post
Author
Aargolos
Estrale Frontiers
#1 - 2014-02-27 03:13:08 UTC
BOOO!

So I was talking to some friends tonight that I used to play another "mmo" with. My question was, "why don't you play EvE?". They're still on the same ****** game for years. No development, no interesting changes, diminishing player-base.

These people have the potential to be "great" EvE players. They can find and exploit new features pretty effectively, use abstract tactics, and are willing to win at all costs. Also they like the "politics" aspect of gaming, and the meta-game.

Is it a fear of the learning cliff? Would they rather stay in the baby sandbox and "win" over taking a chance in the "big pond"?

Has anyone else had the same experience with their gaming "friends"?


Caldari Citizen 20120308
Doomheim
#2 - 2014-02-27 03:20:47 UTC
Aargolos wrote:


Is it a fear of the learning cliff?





Sorry but that cliff is stuck in my "skill queue" currently.
Aargolos
Estrale Frontiers
#3 - 2014-02-27 03:34:05 UTC
Hey, me too.
SpoonRECKLESS
Beach Boys
The Minions.
#4 - 2014-02-27 03:36:21 UTC
Aargolos wrote:
BOOO!

So I was talking to some friends tonight that I used to play another "mmo" with. My question was, "why don't you play EvE?". They're still on the same ****** game for years. No development, no interesting changes, diminishing player-base.

These people have the potential to be "great" EvE players. They can find and exploit new features pretty effectively, use abstract tactics, and are willing to win at all costs. Also they like the "politics" aspect of gaming, and the meta-game.

Is it a fear of the learning cliff? Would they rather stay in the baby sandbox and "win" over taking a chance in the "big pond"?

Has anyone else had the same experience with their gaming "friends"?



'
Because its so freakin dark! Wheres my teddy I need it for protection from the boogie man.

Blue

Dace Onio
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2014-02-27 03:57:14 UTC
maybe they look at it an thought it boring, hard to believe i know but a possibility
Doireen Kaundur
Doomheim
#6 - 2014-02-27 04:09:36 UTC
EVE is to Chess
what other MMOs are to Checkers.

Not everyone has the mind for chess.

_[center]For your Freighter **sized shipping needs, contact _[u]Lord Chanlin[/u].** _ Fast, affordable, reliable service._

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Lord%20Chanlin[/center]

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#7 - 2014-02-27 04:13:59 UTC
I don't think they're afraid, they just don't like it. Eve is an overwhelming game with an unwieldy UI, so it's not really going to appeal to casuals.
Shederov Blood
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#8 - 2014-02-27 04:22:58 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
EVE is to Chess
what other MMOs are to Checkers.

Not everyone has the mind for chess.
Or did you mean EVE is to other MMOs
what Chess is to Checkers? What?

Who put the goat in there?

Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#9 - 2014-02-27 04:27:15 UTC
Because you're essentially asking your friends to be peasants for a year. If they join now, nothing they can do will get them in that battleship.

The bare minimum amount of time it would take for me to get into a Widow is 106 days. And that's to be able to sit in it and not effectively use it. To train up the required skills to pilot it effectively would take another 200 days. Granted you could fly it without all the other necessary skills, but it would be a huge liability considering your inefficient fittings and related skills.

Why would you ask your friends to waste a year?
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2014-02-27 04:52:22 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
EVE is to Chess
what other MMOs are to Checkers.

Not everyone has the mind for chess.


I'd say EvE online is the 3 dimensional chess compared to other games.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#11 - 2014-02-27 04:56:01 UTC
I had this co worker when i worked for a big box store, he is a huge geek, and hacker type, into that sort of thing. We was foaming at the mouth for SW:TOR, anyway i had worked on trying to get the guy into eve, and told him it would be a game that would fit him perfectly. Cause well it would. After TOR flopped, i tried again, and he basicly said "i think eve sounds cool, and i would prolly have fun, but i only like to join games as soon as they come out, so i can be one of the big fish later' in hind sight i shoudl of offered to pay for his account for a month, but meh. I also had friends i brought over when crashed and burned on the learning curve...

Muhahaha

About 1/2 the people i got to play eve become the hang man in the picture above.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Doireen Kaundur
Doomheim
#12 - 2014-02-27 05:04:09 UTC
Shederov Blood wrote:
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
EVE is to Chess
what other MMOs are to Checkers.

Not everyone has the mind for chess.
Or did you mean EVE is to other MMOs
what Chess is to Checkers? What?



Yes. Thanks.

(Note to self: Dont post when you are tired or drunk)

_[center]For your Freighter **sized shipping needs, contact _[u]Lord Chanlin[/u].** _ Fast, affordable, reliable service._

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Lord%20Chanlin[/center]

Shederov Blood
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#13 - 2014-02-27 05:06:21 UTC
Doireen Kaundur wrote:
Note to self: Dont post when you are tired or drunk
So which is it? P

Who put the goat in there?

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2014-02-27 05:07:47 UTC
Divine Entervention wrote:
Because you're essentially asking your friends to be peasants for a year. If they join now, nothing they can do will get them in that battleship.




Not true at all.

A couple of PLEX worth of ISK and a visit to the character bazaar will have you in a battleship in a few days if that's what you really desire.
Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#15 - 2014-02-27 05:13:28 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Divine Entervention wrote:
Because you're essentially asking your friends to be peasants for a year. If they join now, nothing they can do will get them in that battleship.




Not true at all.

A couple of PLEX worth of ISK and a visit to the character bazaar will have you in a battleship in a few days if that's what you really desire.


Yea I guess that's true. As of right now the initial entrance fee into EVE is like what? $10? $15? There are still alot of games out there that costs $45, $50, $60, even $70. Paying in between those prices for the most developed character along the path they wish to pursue would not be a bad investment.

Aargolos
Estrale Frontiers
#16 - 2014-02-27 05:21:36 UTC
These forums are terrible. Lost several interesting points (and posts) into the ether.

Along with it went my "internet friends" excuses for not playing EvE. Nothing exciting, just the usual bullshit.
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
Brave Collective
#17 - 2014-02-27 05:34:01 UTC
Divine Entervention wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Divine Entervention wrote:
Because you're essentially asking your friends to be peasants for a year. If they join now, nothing they can do will get them in that battleship.




Not true at all.

A couple of PLEX worth of ISK and a visit to the character bazaar will have you in a battleship in a few days if that's what you really desire.


Yea I guess that's true. As of right now the initial entrance fee into EVE is like what? $10? $15? There are still alot of games out there that costs $45, $50, $60, even $70. Paying in between those prices for the most developed character along the path they wish to pursue would not be a bad investment.



Yes, yes do that, people who've been playing for three months pooping carriers around are a hoot. Buying SP or isk or anything before you have the nous to manage it is asking for massive loss.


Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Tajic Kaundur
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#18 - 2014-02-27 05:34:08 UTC
Divine Entervention wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Divine Entervention wrote:
Because you're essentially asking your friends to be peasants for a year. If they join now, nothing they can do will get them in that battleship.




Not true at all.

A couple of PLEX worth of ISK and a visit to the character bazaar will have you in a battleship in a few days if that's what you really desire.


Yea I guess that's true. As of right now the initial entrance fee into EVE is like what? $10? $15? There are still alot of games out there that costs $45, $50, $60, even $70. Paying in between those prices for the most developed character along the path they wish to pursue would not be a bad investment.



Even then though, that's not really enough.

A character has a "base" cost of 1.2B, or 2 PLEX. That means the first two PLEX, or first $30, will get them nowhere other than covering this fee. So we're up to $40 now or so. One more PLEX would bring them to 1.8B/$55, which is enough for a character with, like, 3 million SP.

With the Cerebral Accelerator, new players will train at... well, let's assume no remapping and +1 implants, rather standard for a new character. That's 21 in all the relevant stats for combat. The Cerebral Accelerator will put them at +9 for 14 days- 30 in all skills.

So that's 30+(30/2) SP per minute, or 45 SP per minute at that rate, for 14 days. That's already 1 million SP.

Then they'll slow down to 21+(21/2) SP per minute, or 31.5 SP/min. To earn the last 2 million SP, they're looking at another 44 days.

So that's two months training for $45, that you're asking a brand new player to drop straight up front. Plus the "cost" of getting a non-personalized character, skillpoints where you don't want them, etc.

Honestly, that's better than I thought it might be! Of course, this all gets thrown off as soon as you account for remapping, better implants, and/or a bigger/smaller budget for a character. That's still a lot of money for most people, though.
Scipio Artelius
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2014-02-27 05:34:44 UTC
Aargolos wrote:
These forums are terrible. Lost several interesting points (and posts) into the ether.

Along with it went my "internet friends" excuses for not playing EvE. Nothing exciting, just the usual bullshit.

I've been losing posts at times too, just when I'm about to hit post.

There's always the saved draft, but it's been weird for a couple of months now.
Grunanca
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2014-02-27 05:36:10 UTC
Ask them and they will prob know better why they dont want to play...
123Next pageLast page