These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Scammed out of 840million isk (great way to welcome new players)

First post
Author
Mu-Shi Ai
Hosono House
#21 - 2014-02-20 14:36:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Mu-Shi Ai
Whatever you do, please don't join the "Nerf Margin Trading" bandwagon. Better off quitting the game if you're going to take that route.

Some practical advice: Learn the actual market for an item before you try to trade in it. Best way to avoid getting beaned like you did. Oh, and don't pay attention to any "deal" spammed in local chat. 99.99% of that stuff is scams.
Magnu Stormhawk
#22 - 2014-02-20 15:06:02 UTC
Welcome to EVE

Every lesson costs money. The first lesson you have learned is "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is".

Other lessons you will learn on your journey through EVE, which will come at varying prices, are:

-Knowledge is power
-Crime does pay
-Trust No One

Good luck
Volar Kang
Kang Industrial
#23 - 2014-02-20 18:33:25 UTC
I like to think of Eve as a good way to prepare for your first stay in prison. Basically, every other player is just waiting for you to drop the soap so they can bend you over. My advice, get some soap-on-a-rope. The usual scams:

1. I will double your isk. The scammers actually help each other and post on each others threads how this is legit and they really did double their isk. NO ONE is going to double your isk. They may do a small bit to entice you to drop that soap but once you do.... BAM! You feel something you shouldn't.

2. People spamming about contracts in local with prices that are too good to be true. Most of the time they "forget" to plug in a number. They say you can buy this ship for 100mill but when you look closely at the contract you see it is actually listed for 1000mill. They are hoping you don't see the extra zero which makes you drop your soap and then BAM!

3. Pretty much anything in local is a scam. They do the margin thing and then post in local what a great deal it is. They post about a great website that they were able to buy something at really cheap, they say how much money they made from some isk gambling thing. The greedy side of you starts to look into it and then suddenly the soap gets very slippery.

Pretty much EVERYONE not in your corp and even a few in your corp are just waiting for you to drop that soap. They are sending you presents of grease and slick hand lotion hoping you use it and drop that soap. Sadly, they wont be using that lotion on your backside. You are gonna get full UN-LUBED penetration.

Dont get greedy, work for your money and do research before doing anything.
flakeys
Doomheim
#24 - 2014-02-20 18:59:07 UTC
mmmmmmmmm soap

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Oiras Isimazu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#25 - 2014-02-20 19:20:20 UTC
2.7380952381 times more efficient than loosing 2.3b
Oiras Isimazu
State War Academy
Caldari State
#26 - 2014-02-20 19:32:17 UTC
Like one of the poster referring me as a friend once mentionned:
You might want to prepare for more serious economic warfare.
SJ Astralana
Syncore
#27 - 2014-02-21 10:30:02 UTC
Nobody's stated the obvious: When in highsec, close local and never ever open it. Jesus it's not that hard really.

Hyperdrive your production business: Eve Production Manager

Entilarza
HS Holdings
#28 - 2014-02-21 11:13:53 UTC
Sonoske Kautsuo wrote:

And honestly even though I am 3 weeks old I love making in game money even if I have no use for it. I sit around and train skills, would be nice to train skills work the market and in 6 months from now have a sweet ship with plenty of high end upgrades that keep it alive.

Contairy to other MMOs having 'high end' upgrades doesnt keep you alive, it just paints a big shiny bullseye on you cockpit while writing all over you hull 'free isk'. Those high end stuff may keep you alive a few seconds longer in a gank but as it increases the lootable worth exponentially you will run across a lot more gankers.

Btw, hope you posted on alt as this one will most surely be on every 2. Gankers Watchlist
Sonoske Kautsuo
Irked inc.
#29 - 2014-02-21 11:22:53 UTC
Entilarza wrote:
[quote=Sonoske Kautsuo]

Btw, hope you posted on alt as this one will most surely be on every 2. Gankers Watchlist

So what iv had no issues. Let them try eventually I will have the skill to defend myself. Besides I don't fly what I don't want to lose.

ATM I am sitting in wormhole space in a venture. If I die ooooo 100k is all I need to rebuild basically.
Almiel
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2014-02-21 13:14:27 UTC
Sonoske Kautsuo wrote:
Entilarza wrote:
[quote=Sonoske Kautsuo]

So what iv had no issues. Let them try eventually I will have the skill to defend myself.

There is no defending against a good gank squad, only survival and that is just as much luck as skill. The gank catalyst puts out 600dps and costs under 10m to build, get a big enough group and nothing survives for long especially officer/faction/dead space fit ships.

Chimay
Doomheim
#31 - 2014-02-21 15:02:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Chimay
Happens to a lot of us, just have to take what you can from the experience and move forward. You got a lot of value of this transaction is a way of looking at it. From now on, you will read and review everything very carefully and take it slow before proceeding with any Contracts. This is a great thing, you can chalk up this loss and move forward with greater experience.

In terms of the “greed” comments, It’s a staple response that in most cases doesn’t fit the situation that actually happened. Basically efficiency, intended purpose, = misguided interpretations of greed.

Examples:
A miner - I got ganked in my hulk “You had a MLU fitted, GREED”.

Space trucker - “You had over 100m worth of stuff in it, GREED”.

Gambler - “He double my isk 6 times, so I increased the amount and took a gamble” “GREED”.

Me “ I ordered hot wings an…. “GREED”

Edit: Something I wanted to add. Majority of things posted in local is always a scam. "WTB 2 plex 1.2B" You look at the contract and it shows you'll receive 1.2m and exotic dancer. "I wish I had the money for this" tons of those that's always a scam.

It's extremely rare I click a link in local, if I do its a scam. I'd avoid them. That's not to say there isn't a deal to be had but the chances are slim. Finding deals in contacts take a bit of work. Before you do anything you want to review the inventory and cost and use eve appraiser to ensure the value is there for your time. But not before checking how fast those products sell, again to identify the time vs investment.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#32 - 2014-02-21 16:17:18 UTC
I'll be sure to tell my friends about this thread- chances are one of them was on the other side of the trade. Big smile

Trading in Eve is very different from trading in real life, which is why I support an expansion just for the market.

In the real world, most people would not have even seen the margin buy order because minimum quantity or all or none orders would not even be displayed. Margin mechanics in real life would not cause a buy order to fail upon being matched with a seller. There would be lots more tears for other effects though.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#33 - 2014-02-21 17:00:19 UTC
You lost your isk because you based the value of a good on an anomalous buy order, rather than any knowledge of the inherent value of a product. You took a huge risk trading in something you knew little about, and this is the pitfall. If you examine what you actually buy (ie what it actually does for your ship), and examine the available price history, it should be abundantly clear that the item itself is worthless. You broke a cardinal rule of trading, which is to know your product. You relied on the advice and reports of others to make your decision, and lost because they were intended specifically to mislead. You were excited by the possibility of capitalizing on the mistake of another, and walked right into a trap because of it. You have no one to blame but yourself.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Lord Jita
Lord Jita's Big Gay Corp
#34 - 2014-02-21 18:05:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord Jita
Price history is there for a reason, use it. Stop being so greedy (coming from me lol) you are lucky you got off so cheap. Small price to pay for an important lesson. In the long run that will not be a lot of isk (I fat fingered an order and lost almost 4b a month or 2 ago and I didn't even blink) so don't ragequit over it you learn and move on.
Qalix
Long Jump.
#35 - 2014-02-21 18:51:12 UTC
Loraine Gess wrote:
Yes welcome to eve

Don't like it? Stay out, we don't need you.

You got taught a valuable lesson.

No, it's this kind of attitude we don't need. If you guys don't wake up and start finding ways to quell your troll impulses and help bring the noobs along, this game will continue its slow decline. We've finally gotten a big pulse of new players; please don't **** it up for everyone else.

Raw seems to have struck a nice balance. If the guy keeps whining even after the situation is explained to him, THEN jump down his throat.
Inka Heluene
Inka Industrial
#36 - 2014-02-21 21:19:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Inka Heluene
I do like how these threads pop up every so often complaining about people scamming new players, it is rather ironic that the poor scam'd newb was in fact trying to take advantage of someone else's misfortune of screwing up a buy order in the first place. In the end doesn't that make the scamee as bad as the scamer?
Billy Sastard
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2014-02-21 22:18:19 UTC
Qalix wrote:
Loraine Gess wrote:
Yes welcome to eve

Don't like it? Stay out, we don't need you.

You got taught a valuable lesson.

No, it's this kind of attitude we don't need. If you guys don't wake up and start finding ways to quell your troll impulses and help bring the noobs along, this game will continue its slow decline. We've finally gotten a big pulse of new players; please don't **** it up for everyone else.

Raw seems to have struck a nice balance. If the guy keeps whining even after the situation is explained to him, THEN jump down his throat.

Wait... 'slow decline'... What?
http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility
Looks to be holding fairly steady for quite a while to me...

Then again, EVE has been dying since I started playing back in 2005, right?
The Antiquarian
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2014-02-21 22:46:13 UTC
Arsine Mayhem wrote:
It is the greedy that get scammed.

If you're 3 weeks into the game, why do you need that much isk?

What kind of dumb statement & question are these?
Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2014-02-22 12:30:57 UTC
The Antiquarian wrote:
Arsine Mayhem wrote:
It is the greedy that get scammed.

If you're 3 weeks into the game, why do you need that much isk?

What kind of dumb statement & question are these?

Almost all eve scams work by harnessing the marks greed. Market scams especially. Margin trading one in particular.
I hope this settles the first part of your question.
3 weeks into the game you will have very few SP. Most people will be either improving their skills for a cruiser /BC and moving gradually to a T2 fit or mining in a retriever. Maybe flying around in a heron and scanning. Possibly flying a t1 frig in fleet warfare or possibly flying a firetail as tackle in PVP. Maybe even ganking in a destroyer.
All these options require a few tens of million at most. I honestly can't think of a ship that a 3 week old player should even think of flying that costs more.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Tzaki Boon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#40 - 2014-02-22 13:42:12 UTC
Sonoske Kautsuo wrote:
Well I have always been good at playing the market in mmos, however I do not understand enough of the markets mechanics yet, therefore I got scammed by something that seemed to be a good deal, in most mmos scams are done by player to player not market interactions since most devs make those solid to prevent exploits.

And honestly even though I am 3 weeks old I love making in game money even if I have no use for it. I sit around and train skills, would be nice to train skills work the market and in 6 months from now have a sweet ship with plenty of high end upgrades that keep it alive.

I can use a Raven right now, but if I hop into one I have low lvl rigging and cant use most of the tech 2 mods. I would get raped! So I train up stuff and play the market. Sucks that I blew like about 30 bucks in isk.

If I was scammed by a player interaction then that's one thing. But this is stupid, it seem like more of an exploit.

You just said it yourself, you don't understand the market. So you were gambling and you lost. Did you really think you could make a billion isk on one trade?
Consider it a lesson learned, join a corp and play with players that have been playing for years and can help you.