These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Fittable freighters possible?

Author
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#101 - 2014-03-13 19:59:01 UTC
As I've said, regular modules would be difficult to balance with.

Which is why you don't, and have subsystems with change the ship (but not in a multiplying way)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#102 - 2014-03-13 20:12:12 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Which is why you don't, and have subsystems with change the ship (but not in a multiplying way)

Something like Reduce cargo capacity by 300,000 m3 and increase hull HP by 50,000 hp? I guess that could work depending on what subs they create.
Spurty
#103 - 2014-03-13 21:43:50 UTC
Make caps you don't want I highsec 2.9mill mass when flat packed (packaging for special
CAPITAL MATS or whatever science fiction you care for

So many ways to defeat people sneaking caps in it's not even with worrying about.

Freighters are hardly game breaking even with 8 low slots. Now, 8 high slots could be interesting argument against.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#104 - 2014-03-13 21:50:40 UTC
Role bonus: -100% to module and rig bonuses to cargo capacity.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#105 - 2014-03-13 22:33:53 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Something like Reduce cargo capacity by 300,000 m3 and increase hull HP by 50,000 hp? I guess that could work depending on what subs they create.

I'd more think you have a base model with low stats. And then can fit various subsystems (or special low modules. something) which can boost the stats up to something useful.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Spaeder
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#106 - 2014-03-14 08:37:10 UTC
No
Hoshi Sorano
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2014-03-14 17:24:30 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Hoshi Sorano wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Hoshi Sorano wrote:
Tippia wrote:
So again, what is it you actually what to achieve? What is the problem you're trying to solve? How is it not being fulfilled by what's already at your disposal?

How about the ability to move loads in the ~300k m3 capacity range through hostile space while being able to fit a reasonable defense? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not aware of any options that currently fill that role.

You form a fleet.

Ah, yes, flippancy; the defense against all logic.

Forming a fleet reduces the efficiency of the haul, dramatically increasing the man hours needed per m3 of cargo moved, which will only result in higher prices.

Even though it is an option to accomplish the same end result, the fact remains that there is still not a ship which can move ~300k m3 cargos while fitting its own defense, therefore, the role is still unfilled.

Ever think that there is not meant to be such a ship for moving 300k of high value cargo?

Why not?

There is obviously a demand for it caused by a number of factors, gank target value being a prime concern. In the real world, the market would fill that need as a ship designer would see an opportunity to sell a product. Why shouldn't the game world mimic that?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#108 - 2014-03-14 17:33:43 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Hoshi Sorano wrote:

Why not?

There is obviously a demand for it caused by a number of factors, gank target value being a prime concern. In the real world, the market would fill that need as a ship designer would see an opportunity to sell a product. Why shouldn't the game world mimic that?

I want a megathron that can mount a jump drive. I also want a megathron that can mount a bomb launcher and another that can use black ops jump bridges. There are also people who want their titans to be able to track subcaps.

We will not see any of these things because they would be unbalanced. If you want to transport high value assets you either fill a freighter and form a defensive fleet to guard it or do multiple trips in one of the other ships built for transporting high value items. You will never see a ship that can transport 300k of high value items because it would be unbalanced and rend multiple other ships useless.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#109 - 2014-03-14 17:34:10 UTC
Hoshi Sorano wrote:
Why not?
Because it would be too safe and too easy and would render too many existing ships and strategies obsolete.