These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Flickering after 04/02/2014 [Fixed 06/02/2014]

First post
Author
Keirin Hanzo
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#301 - 2014-02-05 18:46:20 UTC
Like so many posters in this thread before i am affected by this aswell.
The graphical glitches resemble what has been posted before.

  • starting to mouse-over the character selection, the screen turns into something like wheel of fortune while its pitch black
  • loading into the station environment works ok, things go south the moment i mouse-over the icon-bar and/or blinking chat tabs
  • undocking, the flicker affects the UI parts that make the cap-pool, throttle and all the assortement of icons usually located alongside it. the eve-menu icon-bar keeps flickering (as before)

  • the other parts of the UI (drone menu, overview, selected items) are not affected by the flicker at all
  • ship models, celestials, station/gate guns are also free of any flicker

  • console output while running the game has two (repeating) entries that i never saw until the patch hit on tuesday:
  • fixme:imm:NotifyIME NI_CLOSECANDIDATE
  • fixme:d3d_texture:wined3d_texture_generate_mipmaps texture 0x126f6a18 stub!
  • those are not coinciding


Running Eve from Ubuntu Saucy.

Ubuntu 3.8.0-21.32-generic 3.8.8

gtx660 with the NVIDIA 319.32 drivers

wine version 1.7.11

The fact that this glitch seems to affect people on multiple OS's makes me feel that this issue will get resolved in the not so distant future.
In addition to the attention from CCP Snorlax and what he hinted at (iirc he has a reputation for "saving" the not officially supported customers before)
Phantianos Mayak
Perkone
Caldari State
#302 - 2014-02-05 18:51:28 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
We hope to have a fix for this in tomorrow's patch. I'll keep investigating on the side if the issue persists.


Thanks for the response. Those response itself is not really important, but, it shows that somebody (CCP hopefully) take care of us.

I think that all GNU/Linux users will agree when I say that we hope that unfortunately story takes his end tomorrow.

Best regards
Zicon Shak'ra
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#303 - 2014-02-05 18:52:24 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
We hope to have a fix for this in tomorrow's patch. I'll keep investigating on the side if the issue persists.


Thanks a bunch for the communication. It's nice to at least know that CCP is aware of the issue and working to fix it. Big smile

Wormholes are cool, m'kay?

Zaraa
Hrodersvitne
#304 - 2014-02-05 18:58:27 UTC
Phantianos Mayak wrote:
I think that all GNU/Linux users will agree when I say that we hope that unfortunately story takes his end tomorrow.

Hey, don't forget about us BSD guys! There is more users then GNU/Linux that is affected by this.
Skuyou
Iron-Fleet
Requiem Eternal
#305 - 2014-02-05 19:08:45 UTC
Zaraa wrote:
Phantianos Mayak wrote:
I think that all GNU/Linux users will agree when I say that we hope that unfortunately story takes his end tomorrow.

Hey, don't forget about us BSD guys! There is more users then GNU/Linux that is affected by this.


gota love those ports. does it work as well for yall as it does us?
Rectar Kinir
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#306 - 2014-02-05 19:25:22 UTC
Mycael
Dystopian Angels
Get Off My Lawn
#307 - 2014-02-05 19:27:48 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
We hope to have a fix for this in tomorrow's patch. I'll keep investigating on the side if the issue persists.


Thank you Smile
Phantianos Mayak
Perkone
Caldari State
#308 - 2014-02-05 19:37:26 UTC
Zaraa wrote:
Phantianos Mayak wrote:
I think that all GNU/Linux users will agree when I say that we hope that unfortunately story takes his end tomorrow.

Hey, don't forget about us BSD guys! There is more users then GNU/Linux that is affected by this.



So sorry, it would be better to say : "all free software users" =) I do no want to denigrate some free operating systems users.

Best regards
Miromme Deninard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#309 - 2014-02-05 20:26:45 UTC
Ubuntu 12.04
Wine 1.7.11
Nvidia Geforce GTX 670
16GB RAM
Quad Core Intel CPU

Same heavy flickering problem.
Matux Aldeland
Malevelon Roe Industries
#310 - 2014-02-05 20:40:49 UTC
Keirin Hanzo wrote:
Like so many posters in this thread before i am affected by this aswell.
The graphical glitches resemble what has been posted before.

  • starting to mouse-over the character selection, the screen turns into something like wheel of fortune while its pitch black
  • loading into the station environment works ok, things go south the moment i mouse-over the icon-bar and/or blinking chat tabs
  • undocking, the flicker affects the UI parts that make the cap-pool, throttle and all the assortement of icons usually located alongside it. the eve-menu icon-bar keeps flickering (as before)

  • the other parts of the UI (drone menu, overview, selected items) are not affected by the flicker at all
  • ship models, celestials, station/gate guns are also free of any flicker

  • console output while running the game has two (repeating) entries that i never saw until the patch hit on tuesday:
  • fixme:imm:NotifyIME NI_CLOSECANDIDATE
  • fixme:d3d_texture:wined3d_texture_generate_mipmaps texture 0x126f6a18 stub!
  • those are not coinciding



Exactly the same issue here, although it was fine for me until today's patch.

Running Archlinux
Linux 3.12.9-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 26 09:01:37 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
nvidia-331.38-2
wine-1.7.11 - wine-multimedia 1.7.11-1
Skirmitch Lennelluc
LM Incorporated
#311 - 2014-02-05 20:48:48 UTC
Same Issue here (just to add +1 on the linux users)
Marsan
#312 - 2014-02-05 21:08:20 UTC
There are also a number of mac users who use wine as it tends to work better than the official client.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Lan Staz
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#313 - 2014-02-05 21:15:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Lan Staz
Might as well chime in an add myself to the ranks of those hoping for a fix to this. Hope CCP come up with something soon; I'll keep checking the forums and return to the game when its fixed.

Oh, and system specs...
Ubuntu 13.10, 32 bit
GeForce GT 610
wine-1.6.1
Elusive One
Nova Echo
#314 - 2014-02-05 21:23:46 UTC
I'll throw in my +1 for Linux user having the same probs.

Wine-1.7.11
Fedora 19 64 bit - 3.12.9-201.fc19.x86_64
Gefore GTX 460 - nvidia-331.38
powertoaster Vuld
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#315 - 2014-02-05 22:04:06 UTC
Same problem

Ubuntu
3.11.0-15-generic
Wine-1.7.11 from sources
Spoofeydoo
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#316 - 2014-02-05 22:23:35 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
We hope to have a fix for this in tomorrow's patch. I'll keep investigating on the side if the issue persists.


Thank you for all your hard work! I know you've helped us get back to playing in the past.

I have a fruit cup and I'm not afraid to use it.

Koffin Nail
Vinnell Corporation
#317 - 2014-02-05 22:42:53 UTC
For VM users, roll back video driver to one from 2009, WDDM 7.14.1.31 appears to the the most stable driver, no flickering, normal gameplay.
lestus
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#318 - 2014-02-05 23:04:20 UTC
Astax wrote:
same for me with wine 1.6.1 on ubuntu 13.10, GTX 560

my char selection page is mostly black and ingame all the windows are hidden / transparent and the navigation bar on the left is flickering.

in the future, a native linux client would be great - thinking of steam os and so on... ;)


Same setup as mine bro, although i reinstalled the entire OS like 20 times thinking it had something to do with linux, but can confirm also it's the latest EVE patch that broke it for us.

CCP, in this day and age, with your 'altruistic' teams who 'work' on projects like Valkyrie in their 'spare' time, could you perhaps spend a tiny bit of that to release the long over-due native linux client?how llong has the game been out? and in that whole time noone stepped up and considered upping the client to a broader base, instead of realeasing shoddy things for ps3 ?
Bjor Talvanen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#319 - 2014-02-05 23:17:09 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
We hope to have a fix for this in tomorrow's patch. I'll keep investigating on the side if the issue persists.


Thanks!

As a new sub it's nice to be surprised by stuff like this. Lots of big MMO developers couldn't give a toss about their *nix userbase. I was expecting CCP to be the same. Awesome!
Logen Kain
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#320 - 2014-02-05 23:28:13 UTC
lestus wrote:
Astax wrote:
same for me with wine 1.6.1 on ubuntu 13.10, GTX 560

my char selection page is mostly black and ingame all the windows are hidden / transparent and the navigation bar on the left is flickering.

in the future, a native linux client would be great - thinking of steam os and so on... ;)


Same setup as mine bro, although i reinstalled the entire OS like 20 times thinking it had something to do with linux, but can confirm also it's the latest EVE patch that broke it for us.

CCP, in this day and age, with your 'altruistic' teams who 'work' on projects like Valkyrie in their 'spare' time, could you perhaps spend a tiny bit of that to release the long over-due native linux client?how llong has the game been out? and in that whole time noone stepped up and considered upping the client to a broader base, instead of realeasing shoddy things for ps3 ?


CCP was an early supporter of Linux gamers, even if only through a contract with Cedega. Props to CCP for that. Of course a few years back they dropped Cedega (and with that, offical support), but that is mostly because Cedega was falling on its face as the original wine flourished

Why stay partners with Cedega, when wine was already doing a better job? And without a direct contract, it would be foolish to advertise support for Linux.

An overhaul from DirectX to OpenGL sounds like it would take quite a few resources, and probably retraining employees to learn OpenGL. So a native Linux client seems a bit unreasonable to focus on at the moment.

While a 300 post Linux thread, which likely translates to more than 300 subscriptions, is simply amazing, it is still not a significant part of the user base to focus a large amount of resources on. However, I think it would be a good idea for CCP to keep Linux in mind, considering the massive explosion in the Linux games market (Thank you Valve).