These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Flickering after 04/02/2014 [Fixed 06/02/2014]

First post
Author
Lyanna Estemaire
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#201 - 2014-02-05 01:38:27 UTC
Getting the same issues.
AMD 6990M, Catalyst Beta Drivers
Linux Mint 16
Sandra Lyzfx
Reckless-Endangerment
Manifesto.
#202 - 2014-02-05 01:44:52 UTC
same
nvidia 440 GTX v2
wine-1.6.2
Linux serenity 3.12-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2 (2013-12-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Ravow
Quebecorp
Removal
#203 - 2014-02-05 01:47:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Ravow
Work fine here..

Kernel 3.13+reiser4+-march=native
Radeon 7970 + Catalyst 14.1
8GB DDR3

My wine is patched with the D3D command stream but it's disabled.
Solar Oneh
Sefem Ortus
The Serenity Syndicate
#204 - 2014-02-05 01:50:06 UTC
Marsan wrote:
Bjor Talvanen wrote:
Hella Cheap wrote:
Windows 7, GeForce 250 GTS. I've managed to run eve successfully ONCE since this morning's patch. Every other time, starting in character selection, my whole screen - not just the client - starts to flicker. If I don't try to log in, and try to close the program swiftly, I just get a display driver crash. If I try to log in, I bluescreen and reboot - again, with that solitary exception.


I know this doesn't help but, thanks for posting here because it's good to know the problem isn't restricted to Linux.


There is a whole 14 page thread on the original issue that led to this patch, which broke wine and doesn't seem to have fixed the original issue for some (most?) windows user who are seeing it.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=316276


How interesting that post #4 is a DEV, while we're going on page 11 and we get silence.
Elmar Windlicht
Liga Freier Terraner
Northern Coalition.
#205 - 2014-02-05 02:10:48 UTC
Just to make this thread a 'lil bit longer:

Confirmed.

But because CCP does not support linux we should brace ourselves to install some random Windows (and we all have something like that laying around - be honest).
But meh. That's what I pay three Accs for? Not one guy smart enough to test this **** thoroughly before it deploys? How hard can it be to fire up a wine and just test a quite hard shift in the graphics engine like that? And since even Windows users are experiencing the same problem: They will not give a rat's arse. For solutions turn to WineHQ.

But keep on complaining - maybe we'll get a "supported client" - again. If they believe they'll lose to much subscriptions.

o7
P1R4T3 P3DR0
Doomheim
#206 - 2014-02-05 02:13:23 UTC
Elmar Windlicht wrote:
Just to make this thread a 'lil bit longer:

Confirmed.

But because CCP does not support linux we should brace ourselves to install some random Windows (and we all have something like that laying around - be honest).
But meh. That's what I pay three Accs for? Not one guy smart enough to test this **** thoroughly before it deploys? How hard can it be to fire up a wine and just test a quite hard shift in the graphics engine like that? And since even Windows users are experiencing the same problem: They will not give a rat's arse. For solutions turn to WineHQ.

But keep on complaining - maybe we'll get a "supported client" - again. If they believe they'll lose to much subscriptions.

o7


I think this comment pretty much explains why we don't have our own client.

I for one will not be installing any Windows OS. It's bad enough we have to use wine.
Ravow
Quebecorp
Removal
#207 - 2014-02-05 02:22:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Ravow
Having an "official" transgaming client will change nothing.. Look at the Mac one... it's as broken as the other client.

Note, still no problem on my side.... Try to find what different on my setup.

Radeon 7970
wine-1.7.10-337-ga632585 (contain D3D CS patchset but it's set to disabled in the regedit.)
Kernel 3.13+reiser4+gcc optimisation
Xorg server 1.15
AMD Catalyst 14.1
Solar Oneh
Sefem Ortus
The Serenity Syndicate
#208 - 2014-02-05 02:31:59 UTC
Ravow wrote:
Having an "official" transgaming client will change nothing.. Look at the Mac one... it's as broken as the other client.

Note, still no problem on my side.... Try to find what different on my setup.

Radeon 7970
wine-1.7.10-337-ga632585 (contain D3D CS patchset but it's set to disabled in the regedit.)
Kernel 3.13+reiser4+gcc optimisation
Xorg server 1.15
AMD Catalyst 14.1


I tried building wine with the CS patch. It makes things a bit better but still pretty unusable in combat.
Zicon Shak'ra
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#209 - 2014-02-05 02:42:45 UTC
P1R4T3 P3DR0 wrote:
Elmar Windlicht wrote:
Just to make this thread a 'lil bit longer:

Confirmed.

But because CCP does not support linux we should brace ourselves to install some random Windows (and we all have something like that laying around - be honest).
But meh. That's what I pay three Accs for? Not one guy smart enough to test this **** thoroughly before it deploys? How hard can it be to fire up a wine and just test a quite hard shift in the graphics engine like that? And since even Windows users are experiencing the same problem: They will not give a rat's arse. For solutions turn to WineHQ.

But keep on complaining - maybe we'll get a "supported client" - again. If they believe they'll lose to much subscriptions.

o7


I think this comment pretty much explains why we don't have our own client.

I for one will not be installing any Windows OS. It's bad enough we have to use wine.


Agreed. If a fix does not come out for this I will be unsubbing all of my accounts.

Wormholes are cool, m'kay?

Kropotkin
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#210 - 2014-02-05 03:03:24 UTC
Ravow wrote:
Having an "official" transgaming client will change nothing.. Look at the Mac one... it's as broken as the other client.

Note, still no problem on my side.... Try to find what different on my setup.

Radeon 7970
wine-1.7.10-337-ga632585 (contain D3D CS patchset but it's set to disabled in the regedit.)
Kernel 3.13+reiser4+gcc optimisation
Xorg server 1.15
AMD Catalyst 14.1

I had been having the flickering problem, using Catalyst 13.12, which is the most recent non-beta driver.

Inspired by Ravow's message, I upgraded to Catalyst 14.1, which is a beta driver.

No change -- still flickering.
Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#211 - 2014-02-05 03:09:45 UTC
Elmar Windlicht wrote:
But keep on complaining - maybe we'll get a "supported client" - again. If they believe they'll lose to much subscriptions.

Why do you think that a "supported client" would change something? CCP does not even respond to the threads where user with "supported clients" are complaining about the problems with the current patch.

I also don't think they feel threatened when 0.1% of the player base cancels their subscriptions.

The SISI version looks good, let's hope we get another patch and hopefully some CCP feedback during the next downtime.
Skuyou
Ronin ONE
Ronins
#212 - 2014-02-05 03:12:46 UTC
Zicon Shak'ra wrote:
P1R4T3 P3DR0 wrote:
Elmar Windlicht wrote:
Just to make this thread a 'lil bit longer:

Confirmed.

But because CCP does not support linux we should brace ourselves to install some random Windows (and we all have something like that laying around - be honest).
But meh. That's what I pay three Accs for? Not one guy smart enough to test this **** thoroughly before it deploys? How hard can it be to fire up a wine and just test a quite hard shift in the graphics engine like that? And since even Windows users are experiencing the same problem: They will not give a rat's arse. For solutions turn to WineHQ.

But keep on complaining - maybe we'll get a "supported client" - again. If they believe they'll lose to much subscriptions.

o7


I think this comment pretty much explains why we don't have our own client.

I for one will not be installing any Windows OS. It's bad enough we have to use wine.


Agreed. If a fix does not come out for this I will be unsubbing all of my accounts.


second that. I lost a 1.5b loki earlier due to this junk. Its my fault for taking it out but the game play sucks
Torval Shank
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#213 - 2014-02-05 03:18:57 UTC
Yep, same deal here.

Xubuntu 13.10
Wine 1.6
Nvidia 319 Proprietary Drivers

Crazy flickers, all over the place. Hoping for a patch at next downtime to fix this.

Everybody already opened up a petition on it, I hope? Bring it to their attention?
Veldar Reku
Wu Xi Holdings
#214 - 2014-02-05 03:24:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Veldar Reku
This is some threadnaught CCP made here Oops

For people that don't know, apparently this also broke the OS X client. And there will not be "official Linux" client again, since no one used it last time. And no one used it last time, because it was just outdated wine (like on Mac). So unless you want CCP to somehow make OpenGL client, there will never be "official Linux" client again.

Anyway, this bug will get fixed Soon.

Edit: CCP may be onto *something* with this patch. It appears to have fixed my issues on nVidia 560 GTX with game stalling when warping to certain stations or jumping through gates. Of course, brackets and parts of UI are flickering, but maybe this is not all bad. Just needs a fix for the fix!!
Salah Kahn
Gang Bang You're Dead
Wrecktical Supremacy.
#215 - 2014-02-05 03:47:15 UTC
Same problem

Debian jessie 3.11-2-amd64
CrossOver 13.0.1/12.5.1
Nvidia driver 331.38
sanosp2
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#216 - 2014-02-05 03:53:34 UTC
Confirmed.

openSUSE 13.1 (i586)
VERSION = 13.1
CODENAME = Bottle
Linux utp-sanomac 3.11.6-4-pae #1 SMP Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Driver Version:331.38
wine-1.7.11
Toonis Kalkoken
Reckless Insurgence
Freight Train Diplomacy
#217 - 2014-02-05 04:19:35 UTC
also experiencing this:
Linux 3.10.10-gentoo #1 SMP Tue Sep 17 21:26:16 EDT 2013 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers 331.13
wine 1.7.0
Sandra Lyzfx
Reckless-Endangerment
Manifesto.
#218 - 2014-02-05 04:23:22 UTC
Some things have clearly improved like client loading times, warp tunnels seem non-stuttery too. Also, go ahead and enable station environment, removes all station flickering except UI buttons
Bitdrift
Perkone
Caldari State
#219 - 2014-02-05 04:23:27 UTC
I'm being hit by this issue, too. Just updated to 8.41.712925.

Crux Linux x86_64,
Kernel 3.12.6,
Wine 1.7.11

Running with Intel graphics.
xorg-server 1.14.5
xorg-xf86-video-intel 2.21.15

~elderK
Dena DiStellar
Doom Generation
Best Intentions.
#220 - 2014-02-05 05:13:53 UTC
Same issue here as well, Ubuntu 12.04/Wine 1.7.11, NVIDIA graphics.

Judging by this thread it is already well established that there is a problem, but I figured that I should add my name to the list anyways. Maybe the length of this thread will help remind CCP that us Linux users do still exist out there. P