These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why isn t there any walking around stations/ships etc?

First post
Author
ZynnLee Akkori
Perkone
Caldari State
#21 - 2014-01-30 01:57:18 UTC
I would love to be able to walk around in my ship! Some of them are ridiculously huge. I'd also love if we could get corp-mates to man different stations on the bigger ships. WiS would also be cool. Let us set up shops or warehouses to display things we are selling that could fit inside.
Kuronaga
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#22 - 2014-01-30 01:58:03 UTC
Tajic Kaundur wrote:
Posting in stealth WIS thread

... it wasn't exactly stealthy.
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-01-30 02:40:17 UTC
Every time there is a WiS thread there are players who want to, in a sandbox game, tell everyone that they and no one wants WiS. Its all grrrr Spaceships. I like to take a moment, about once a week when these threads come up, and look at the carefully crafted avatar pictures. Lots and lots of pictures with different clothes, glasses, monocles, even lore breaking ridiculous robot arms (like mine!). Then I laugh a little to myself about how no one wants space barbies.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2014-01-30 02:50:30 UTC
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:
no one wants space barbies.

EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2014-01-30 02:55:34 UTC
Rhes wrote:
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:

Except Rise is not an original developer and obviously knows less about EvE than I do. See when I joined EVE it was not just about spaceships, it was about lots more. If CCP Rise like's I can arrange to send him a copy of the back cover of the original EVE box... but i"m sure they have one at CCP...

I suggest he read the back cover.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#26 - 2014-01-30 03:45:46 UTC
How is anyone still talking about this like it might ever exist anymore?

You got your WiS, it was turned into DUST. Have fun.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Seras Victoria Egivand
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2014-01-30 06:59:05 UTC
EVE is a game about spaceships and there's an enormous amount of work to do on the in-space gameplay before players (or developers) are ready to sacrifice it for a totally new type of gameplay - CCP Rise

10 years wasn't long enough to get it right?

oh here's the back of the box

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/5/7/1/430571_52711_back.jpg

Honestly eve was always a game about pvp and simulation it was never going to be tied to just spaceships... I remember back in what 2004 when they released wis concepts and video that was running off Unreal Engine. Hope they do something because i have a funny feeling that when star citizen comes out theres going to be alot of people leaving.
Billy McCandless
Zacharia Explorations Group
#28 - 2014-01-30 09:15:53 UTC
Hatthor wrote:

Is there any talk of letting players explore inside stations, on planets and walking inside ships as well?

EDIT: Imagine all the RP that could be done inside stations and ships

i wanna wlak insside planeds two and explode incide stations

im knot alowwed to imajin ar pee becos its rude

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Serene Repose
#29 - 2014-01-30 09:21:50 UTC
Yeah, walking around a ficticious space station....not unlike a gas station or bus station, is my idea of fun. Lord knows how boring hair-raising interspaceship combat can become. Meandering up a hallway with graphic representations of billboards and fake candy counters is just my cup of tea....aha! Tea houses....no wait....that'd be a separate structure...

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Esha Ditrix
#30 - 2014-01-30 11:44:34 UTC
CCP should never release content that make people whant to be docked up...

Seras Victoria Egivand wrote:
Hope they do something because i have a funny feeling that when star citizen comes out theres going to be alot of people leaving.

well hopefully your right, that would mean that CCP at that point can start catering to the niche crowd again...

Its not an exploit, if the game lets you do it...

Allaera
Kalmincon
#31 - 2014-01-30 12:08:01 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
Yeah, walking around a ficticious space station....not unlike a gas station or bus station, is my idea of fun. Lord knows how boring hair-raising interspaceship combat can become. Meandering up a hallway with graphic representations of billboards and fake candy counters is just my cup of tea....aha! Tea houses....no wait....that'd be a separate structure...

You can put your soapbox away now because no-one said you would have to partake. Does everyone enter CQ when they dock? No, because there is an option not to do so if you have no interest in it. WiS was to have that option also.

Mind you, it would be a helluva a lot less boring than spinning a ship for the bazillionth time waiting for a form-up Roll
Esha Ditrix
#32 - 2014-01-30 12:16:56 UTC
Allaera wrote:
You can put your soapbox away now because no-one said you would have to partake. Does everyone enter CQ when they dock? No, because there is an option not to do so if you have no interest in it. WiS was to have that option also.

so you actualy think that EVE is in such a good state atm, that CCp should take dev time away from the core, and put back on the WIS train ?

Allaera wrote:
Mind you, it would be a helluva a lot less boring than spinning a ship for the bazillionth time waiting for a form-up Roll

maybe considder playing EVE while waiting to play EVE ? Roll

Its not an exploit, if the game lets you do it...

Hatthor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2014-01-30 15:35:36 UTC
Thanks for all the comments

Having not played for 4 years I was honestly looking forward to be able to do exploration on foot because to me it felt natural. I thought you would be able to at least walk in your ship.

I thought about it all night and I realized that it creates problems when you need to dock somewhere in dangerous space and have your ship destroyed while you are exploring. Maybe that could be an acceptable risk or there could be a mechanic to phase your ship off so that it is not attackable for a little while and only while doing exploration. I guess it would change also how you could do some hacking.

But its true that it might change the game too much but I think it would bring more players from the regular mmo crowd. I myself came from wow and gw2 recently. I enjoy eve for its complexity but I also long to be able to visit those giant stations as it does not make much sense to me to dock and be stuck in a small room on a station with millions of people all stuck in their room (RP wise).

As for the term WIS...does it mean walk in stations? Sorry I idn t know it was a bad subject, as I mentioned I am new to eve again and did not spend time reading forums before asking
Digits Kho
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2014-01-30 15:52:30 UTC
Imagine those knife fights and back alley surprise butsecks attacks somewhere around jita 4-4 area yey!
Lugalbandak
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#35 - 2014-01-30 15:52:39 UTC
whats a swotrer? and yeah its about spaceships maybe but when i dock i have wis on(cc) , it looks nice , esp the nice asses of my girl alts Blink

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#36 - 2014-01-30 15:58:51 UTC
OP, what happened to WiS was that the players rioted against it. "CCP, this is my blowing-up-spaceships game, don't spend your resources on making space barbies!" And also a lot of wild eyes and foaming at the mouth about the NEX store. A lot of people actually unsubbed after the Incarna release. So apparently CCP dropped the WiS idea.

But, in 2011 they released an 'A Future Vision' video that features WiS (integrated with DUST 514). So who knows.
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#37 - 2014-01-30 16:00:03 UTC
We've been here before. The pro-crowd are calling for "EVE On Foot" - all the backstabbery, sandboxy, buildy, complex, PVP glory of the spaceships game, but with more boots and trousers, with rewards and loot that fold back into and enrich the spaceship game and basically contribute to the magnificence of this crazy giant game we all play.

The anti-crowd have constructed a strawman where they think the pro-crowd are asking for Pretty Space Princess Barbie Ponies: Friendship is Stellar, and are throwing a temper tantrum and lying to us by claiming that out-of-context opinions expressed by single devs are the "official CCP stance".

thanks for adding a voice to the "I'd like to see this" column, by the way, but it really is not worth arguing with the anti-crowd. Their opinions are not shrouded or hindered by such trivial inconveniences as "facts" or "reality".

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Ginger Barbarella
#38 - 2014-01-30 16:01:59 UTC
Tajic Kaundur wrote:
Posting in stealth WIS thread

This.

Glad WiS is dead. Maybe they'll consider looking into fixing bugs now that 1.1.2.whatever is "released".

Edit: looks like the regular 404's and "we were ganked" problems are back with the Forums website. Awesome.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Rhes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2014-01-30 16:04:55 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Rhes wrote:
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:

Except Rise is not an original developer and obviously knows less about EvE than I do. See when I joined EVE it was not just about spaceships, it was about lots more. If CCP Rise like's I can arrange to send him a copy of the back cover of the original EVE box... but i"m sure they have one at CCP...

I suggest he read the back cover.

I'm sure he'd appreciate seeing the original Eve box but it's not going to magically trick him into trying to destroy Eve again.

Aivo Dresden
State War Academy
Caldari State
#40 - 2014-01-30 16:42:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Aivo Dresden
To be honest, even Star Trek online has walking in spaceship. It's literally a tiny little indoor environment. Kind of what we have already with the Captain's quarters. That wouldn't be that hard to implement. :)