These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why isn t there any walking around stations/ships etc?

First post
Author
Nakami Saans
Conclave of Independent Pilots
#221 - 2014-04-29 13:28:06 UTC
The only reason I would want them to finish the WIS is to explore relic and data sites.

Leave your ship to get better loot, but that increases the danger since your ship is now a sitting duck. Might encourage more teamwork aka have someone guard your ship unless they turn on you and blow it up Twisted

In any case, I don't care about walking in the actual station unless infiltration and sabotage could be worked into it. If they were to finish it, yeah I would walk around a station but after the first time, I'd be done.

My 2 isk.

People: "You shouldn't burn bridges." Me: "I don't, I bomb them from orbit."

Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#222 - 2014-04-29 13:30:23 UTC
Because CCP made some mistakes and the playerbase threw a tantrum, which resulted in spaceship focus and no real new additions to the game (at that point in time). Had they executed it correctly, not called us golden geese, trashed WoD and allocated resources accordingly, you might have more than an empty apartment to walk around in.

But instead, in a space simulation MMO, we have nearly an entire dev team concentrating on spaceships, like that aspect of the game alone will keep EVE afloat for another decade.

Excuse me for my pessimism though, some people are perfectly content in not having added flavor.
Solecist Project
#223 - 2014-04-29 13:30:33 UTC
Beta Maoye wrote:
Assign former WoD staffs to WIS project, then we can have best of both worlds, vampires walking in space stations.

They'll have to remove the nipples first, though.
They aren't allowed in EVE.

*sips coffee*

No fun, if you ask me...

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#224 - 2014-04-29 13:43:23 UTC
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

But instead, in a space simulation MMO, we have nearly an entire dev team concentrating on spaceships

1) its not a simulation, its an MMORPG

2) Yes they have a team on spaceships. And a team on server through-put. And a team on modules. And a team on industry etc etc

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Meryl SinGarda
#225 - 2014-04-29 13:46:02 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

But instead, in a space simulation MMO, we have nearly an entire dev team concentrating on spaceships

2) Yes they have a team on spaceships. And a team on server through-put. And a team on modules. And a team on industry etc etc

You must have missed the part where my sentence read "MMO," ya derp.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#226 - 2014-04-29 13:47:35 UTC
Meryl SinGarda wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

How so?

And

how rude

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Meryl SinGarda
#227 - 2014-04-29 13:48:38 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

How so?

And

how rude

MMO is literally the same as MMORPG. Although I would argue that EVE is nothing close to an RPG.
RAIN Arthie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#228 - 2014-04-29 13:50:21 UTC
It's all a lie. I find that about 85% of people I talk to in this world are completely full of crap. CCP is part of that list.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#229 - 2014-04-29 13:51:04 UTC
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

MMO is literally the same as MMORPG. Although I would argue that EVE is nothing close to an RPG.

No it isnt. World of Tanks is an tank simulation MMO

EvE Online is a MMORPG

How does EvE not fill the definition of a roleplaying game?

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

Meryl SinGarda
#230 - 2014-04-29 13:52:20 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

No it isnt. World of Tanks is an tank simulation MMO

EvE Online is a MMORPG

How does EvE not fill the definition of a roleplaying game?

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

MMO is the shortened version of MMORPG. Less letters to type. Stop arguing semantics and start doing something constructive.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#231 - 2014-04-29 13:54:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

MMO is the shortened version of MMORPG. Less letters to type. Stop arguing semantics and start doing something constructive.

Im not. You are incorrect. WoT describes itself as an MMO. But it is not an MMORPG.

EvE is most certainly NOT a spaceship simulation, and this was your statement. So dodge it if you wish, but you will find you are incorrect.

Meryl SinGarda
#232 - 2014-04-29 13:57:47 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

Im not. You are incorrect. WoT describes itself as an MMO. But it is not an MMORPG.

EvE is most certainly NOT a spaceship simulation, and this was your statement. So dodge it if you wish, but you will find you are incorrect.

You can cover your ears and scream all day long but that doesn't change facts.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#233 - 2014-04-29 13:59:38 UTC
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

Correct. I am educating you to the facts.

You are welcome :)

Nakami Saans
Conclave of Independent Pilots
#234 - 2014-04-29 13:59:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Nakami Saans
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

I have to agree with Ramona on this. MMO is too broad a term to just define MMORPG.

And EvE has many RPG elements. We train skills, go on "quests" aka mission running, EvE has a rich and vast lore based not only on CCP's imaginings but on player made material via ingame roleplaying.

People: "You shouldn't burn bridges." Me: "I don't, I bomb them from orbit."

Winifred Running Goat
Minmatar Republic
#235 - 2014-04-29 14:10:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Winifred Running Goat
Still wondering why people want WIS, they must be sick off it to spin their ships in station.
undock and shoot some rats, or do some pvp stuff.

edit: I must admit, a little station mini game would be awesome, like a board game that would be funny...

[b] no, i don't want more server load.

[u]WARNING: If you don’t post alot you will become “Inactive fa**ot” instead of “Bitter vet”[/u][/b]

Grayland Aubaris
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#236 - 2014-04-29 14:32:50 UTC
Winifred Running Goat wrote:
Still wondering why people want WIS, they must be sick off it to spin their ships in station.
undock and shoot some rats, or do some pvp stuff.

edit: I must admit, a little station mini game would be awesome, like a board game that would be funny...

I always figured gambling would be a good start - with some mini games that can be run by all those ISK doublers. Get them out of my local and into their own environment. Would also make a good ISK sink.

I think another good start would be corporation board rooms, that have a projector on which the CEO can display star maps, market data etc and other things.
Master Flakattack
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#237 - 2014-04-29 14:35:59 UTC
Meryl SinGarda wrote:
Because CCP made some mistakes and the playerbase threw a tantrum, which resulted in spaceship focus and no real new additions to the game (at that point in time). Had they executed it correctly, not called us golden geese, trashed WoD and allocated resources accordingly, you might have more than an empty apartment to walk around in.

But instead, in a space simulation MMO, we have nearly an entire dev team concentrating on spaceships, like that aspect of the game alone will keep EVE afloat for another decade.

Excuse me for my pessimism though, some people are perfectly content in not having added flavor.

Flavor is fine, but I prefer meaningful content, and WiS is far from meaningful. And I don't want to see CCP make it "meaningful" by simply shifting existing features over to it: if I have to run around a station to do things I can do now with a few buttons, I will not be pleased. WiS would have to add features or tasty alternatives to be even remotely worth considering... and even then, this is a game about internet spaceships and unless the incentives were quite good, I still wouldn't bother with it.
Solecist Project
#238 - 2014-04-29 14:52:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Solecist Project
Meryl SinGarda wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

No, she is right.

It becomes really obvious if you just take a look at it.

Massively Multiplayer Online.... games with lots of people playing.

Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game ... games with lots of people, roleplaying.

To take the above example:

WOT is considered an MMO. People don't play Elves or whatever to immerse themselves into a character.
They just play with lots of others.

WoW is an MMORPG. People play them to run away from reality and hide in a fake hero character that
makes them feel better about themselves.

Argueing against definitions will only make anybody look ignorant
and I'd advise against it,
because it'll only create lots of useless hateposts.

Thanks.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Meryl SinGarda
#239 - 2014-04-29 15:35:05 UTC
It's really noisy in here with all the people covering their ears and screaming. Geez.
Grayland Aubaris
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#240 - 2014-04-29 16:10:55 UTC
Meryl SinGarda wrote:
It's really noisy in here with all the people covering their ears and screaming. Geez.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/270/903/e4c.jpg