These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: The Art of Rubicon 1.1

First post
Author
CCP BlueScreen
C C P
C C P Alliance
#61 - 2014-01-30 16:19:43 UTC
Altrue wrote:
CCP BlueScreen wrote:

Also, there are unfortunately no current plans for a variation on the Sentinel.

Not even the color part ? It is very hard to tell the difference between T1 and T2.

After a quick look at this, and almost not being able to tell the difference myself, i suspect we will at least expand on the coloring of the Sentinel.
Nagarythe Tinurandir
Einheit X-6
Ushra'Khan
#62 - 2014-01-30 17:13:36 UTC
CCP BlueScreen wrote:
Nagarythe Tinurandir wrote:
nice, nice stuff. stations are amazing! Big smile
very much appreciated!!

2 short questions though.
what about symmetrical missile/turrets on ships which got odd launcher/turrets after balancing (TALWAR, Arbitrator)?
(obligatory repost https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2238156#post2238156)

And since we got a new, very awesome Crucifier model, are there any plans to make a slightly modified version for the sentinel?

i know... you give and give but we keep asking for more. as already said, you work is very much appreciated!

Hi Nagarythe, we meet again Big smile

So that Talwar, after contacting the appropriate construction yards and manufacturers, the turret modifications on both the Talwar and Arbitrator has entered production as we speak.

The ship yards in question have committed themselves on delivering these custom modifications no later than Rubicon 1.2.

Sorry for the long wait pilot. o7

Also, there are unfortunately no current plans for a variation on the Sentinel.

that would make the involved ship yards my favourites :D
thank you very much.

sad to here there is no t2 upgrade for the sentinel. i thought every ship model that's overhauled gets a modified t2 model?
also, wasn't there an animation to be shipped with the new crucifier? i vaguely remember something from an art panel on fan fest.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#63 - 2014-01-30 19:26:29 UTC
another little thing... there are inconsistencies in the ship preview backgrounds.

Nestor has a different backgrounds as astero or stratios.
Revenant uses something from the industrial tree
and daredevil uses the minmatar background.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Luthar Carrock
Doomheim
#64 - 2014-01-30 19:49:00 UTC
Very nice work.

The new crucifier is a huge improvement to one of the more odd designs, but it immediately makes me think of another frigate that desperately needs your artist's touch applied to it.

BANTAM!

Please, please, please redesign this poor, boxy beast!

Thanks and keep up the great work!
Hehaw Jimbojohnson
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#65 - 2014-01-30 22:34:42 UTC
helana Tsero wrote:

GAS CLOUDS.

Its says the effect tickbox is used to toggle them on and off. But what else does the effect box toggle off ?

All i need is to turn the gas clouds off, everything else causes no fps loss and I would like to keep all the other effects.

Can we have a tickbox to toggle on and off gas clouds only ?

This has been brought up countless times since the original announcement. CCP has continued to completely ignore it and has not (to my knowledge) responded at all, in normal CCP fashion when they can't deliver "awesome" news. Just like they're continuing to ignore the question in this thread 2 pages and multiple thread responses later.
CCP BlueScreen
C C P
C C P Alliance
#66 - 2014-01-30 23:31:54 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
another little thing... there are inconsistencies in the ship preview backgrounds.

Nestor has a different backgrounds as astero or stratios.
Revenant uses something from the industrial tree
and daredevil uses the minmatar background.

Hmmm, you dont say.
Thanks for the heads up, I will be looking into this.
CCP BlueScreen
C C P
C C P Alliance
#67 - 2014-01-30 23:38:15 UTC
Subrahmaya Chandrasekhar wrote:
"The ‘effect’ setting will now toggle particle clouds on/off."
It may come as a surprise, but there is at least one who would like to turn off the clouds regardless of performance issues. The only thing is, you have lumped turning them off into the same circuit breaker that, according to the pop-up help text, controls a whole bunch of other, desireable effects.

Yes, just getting the clouds into the effects group was the first step.
But we hear you and are aware that, given the current state of the clouds, enabling you guys to toggle them on/off independent of other effects would be optimal.
I am currently lobbying this to see if we can make that a reality sooner rather than later.
CCP BlueScreen
C C P
C C P Alliance
#68 - 2014-01-31 00:03:18 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP BlueScreen
Dunkle Lars wrote:
Very beautiful Work with the stations and wrecks, but can't help but wonder.. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=229521&find=unread You promised us 1 year ago that this was like 99% ready. Everyone agreed that we want this, so can you at least post in the thread what's holding you back? Pretty please

Yes we agree, we want this, BADAttention

It is unfortunately not correct that we ever said the implementation of a high resolution texture pack was 99% ready.

It is correct that this came up in numerous roundtables at last FanFest, and it is correct that we, the art department, on numerous occasions stated that we could and should do this.
What we might also have said was that we had the CONTENT for such a feature 99% ready, what that means is that we have the high resolution textures, not all textures, but from an art standpoint enough to warrant such a feature.

Just off the top of my head we would be able to deliver high resolution textures for assets like, nebulae, planets, Tech 3 ships, any newly redesign ships plus any new ship added to the game within the last 2-3 years at least.

Now that is however not a feature, that is a bunch of art assets sitting around wanting to come out and play.

What has to be designed and implemented for this to happen is a system around publishing and distributing the content. In addition to that there is the client handling of such textures, which I know will cause some technical challenges that goes beyond a simple off/on check box.
I am guessing that there is some unknowns in this, and basically it represents quite a bit of feature work totally removed from Team TriLambda.

So bottom line, I am not completely aware of all the obstacles and technical issues that is keeping this feature from happening, but believe me, I want this just as bad as you do.

So keep that High Res texture pack thread going please, every time i log in to the forums and see that back on page one, I will go kick some random Dev at the office and yell TEXTURE PACK at them Big smile
Beneforte Fiametta
Real Enemy
#69 - 2014-01-31 00:18:11 UTC
Popping in to say hi and good job on the crucifier.

I humbly request that all Amarr master race ships follow suit with similar style, thank you.
Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#70 - 2014-01-31 00:45:44 UTC
CCP BlueScreen wrote:

Just off the top of my head we would be able to deliver high resolution textures for assets like, nebulae, planets, Tech 3 ships, any newly redesign ships plus any new ship added to the game within the last 2-3 years at least.

Do assets that were given V3 textures but not redesigned, such as the Cynabal, have higher resolution textures available? Or is it only the ships that have received brand new models?

Katrina Oniseki

Wedgetail
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2014-01-31 03:56:16 UTC
Good to see there's a team at ccp that still holds to a good work standard, your dev blog's one of almost none that I can honestly say I was impressed with - perhaps fozzie and co would benefit from having your team's attention to detail on their team for design stages, at the least it's very clear from where i sit at least they have a lot to learn from triLambda.

keep up the good work and I look forward to the next one.
Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#72 - 2014-01-31 04:01:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Che Biko
CCP BlueScreen wrote:
So now that I have this tool, what to wreck next …?
Everything else!CoolTwisted
stoicfaux
#73 - 2014-01-31 08:02:32 UTC
CCP BlueScreen wrote:

Asteroids as they're being mined/depleted.

NPC structures. First on the list would be Krull's pleasure garden.

Shattered planets.

The players's UI as the ship gets deeper into hull.

Forum threads after they've been locked.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Pharaoh Horus
Doomheim
#74 - 2014-01-31 21:42:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Pharaoh Horus
Some great improvements here on the graphics guys, well done. What's next on the list for reimagine and the V3 treatment?

I do hope you use your new wreck creator tool to do all the wrecks, would seem a shame not to, especially after that flow chart.

Can we have your high res textures any time soon? Pretty please? Cherry? Vodka?
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#75 - 2014-02-01 00:44:25 UTC
CCP BlueScreen wrote:
So about wrecking the sub-caps, obviously this question has come up quite a bit.
We could obviously do that, and I am hoping some day we will. The floor meshes you refer to and also spawning the additional mesh debris on the broken surface , was in some extend developed specifically for smaller ships and fragments.
again there is a couple of things to be considered here, and again its mainly time and client load.

Obviously there is quite a bit more sub-capital ships in game than there are capitals, and the time we would have to invest to make unique wrecks for all of these would be quite considerable.
now having unique wrecks for all ships would not present any problems in most PvE and even PvP environments, but for larger scale battles the story is quite different.

Is there scope for all the graphics settings to be replaced with two overarching settings: "Aim to control resource usage to less than 2GB," and "Aim to maintain FPS above 40"?

Thus all the settings would be evaluated for the specific client machine (e.g.: during an undocking sequence, while in hangar, or during initial load after logging in, or during a specific "test all settings" routine invoked by the user) and the game would adjust graphics settings on the fly to reduce memory consumption in large fights e.g.: turning down texture detail, bringing low-poly models cutoff closer to the viewpoint, turning off clouds, turning off animation and lighting effects?

Thank you for the awesome work you have been doing to make this game so much more immersive! Cool
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#76 - 2014-02-02 12:32:57 UTC
CCP BlueScreen wrote:
Subrahmaya Chandrasekhar wrote:
"The ‘effect’ setting will now toggle particle clouds on/off."
It may come as a surprise, but there is at least one who would like to turn off the clouds regardless of performance issues. The only thing is, you have lumped turning them off into the same circuit breaker that, according to the pop-up help text, controls a whole bunch of other, desireable effects.

Yes, just getting the clouds into the effects group was the first step.
But we hear you and are aware that, given the current state of the clouds, enabling you guys to toggle them on/off independent of other effects would be optimal.
I am currently lobbying this to see if we can make that a reality sooner rather than later.

Thank you, it's good to see this.
Could you also look at fixing the issue with the way bubbles become insanely bright when you have several of them overlapping each other?

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Jacob Levo
Good But Not The Best
#77 - 2014-03-03 10:07:00 UTC
CCP BlueScreen wrote:
Sarmatiko wrote:
10/10 would read again.

Quote:

Stations Roll

Quote:
Now were ready to export our wreck and take a look in our game engine tool (AKA "Jessica").

I wonder how complex this thing is. Is it possible to release some light standalone version to the community at some point in the future (like Valve did with Source filmmaker)?
CCP already gave access to Jessica in September 2013 to these guys and results were great.

It is correct that a "Jessica Light" has in the past been distributed to a very limited amount of people for specific purposes.

There are no plans, that I know of, to continue or expand this initiative on a larger scale.

I am new to the forums, so forgive me if the answer is obvious but how would i go about asking you guys to release a light version to the general public? and are there any reasons that are truly preventing it from being released?

Droidyk
Maniacal Miners INC
The Legends In The Game
#78 - 2014-04-14 15:30:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Droidyk
Insanely amazing, can't wait to see wrecks for smaller ships too, will be interesting. Btw, if this technology will be used in anything else than wrecks, then the space environment will really look beautiful. I mean adding these techniques and tech to belts or eventually rings sounds good.