These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

EvE in the Washington Post

First post
Author
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#41 - 2014-01-29 19:21:45 UTC
La Nariz wrote:
Ezra Blade Blade wrote:
Esha Ditrix wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Fox News's

you should just turn your TV, OFF !

EDIT:
or close your browser or what ever :)

Better than CNN propagandashenanigans

Both are scientifically proven to cause stupidity and brain cancer, don't watch either.

I usually watch Al Jazeera America, when I watch news at all.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#42 - 2014-01-29 20:22:22 UTC
Billy McCandless wrote:
Tuttomenui II wrote:
an exchange rate cant work one way.

u oviossly never wen on holladay

Or got married.
Springe
Bastelrunde EV
#43 - 2014-01-29 20:29:22 UTC
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:

Sorry, but as long as CCP's only answer to crushing slow gameplay is TiDi converting regions of space from a realtime game into a turn-based one, the large fleet fight of EvE online remains a lie vs how it is marketed & reported on.

I am surprised the server didn't just went up in flames - I guess it was not on a special node for the "spontaneous" nature of the fight?
But I invite you to write your doctoral thesis on such a complex topic as scalability in a truly massive multiplayer game.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#44 - 2014-01-29 20:32:31 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I guess nobody saw Fox News's headline:

"Unpaid bill costs gamers more than $300,000 in EVE Online"

Nope, because even EvE's most frothing mouth-breathers are too smart for Fox News, sorry.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#45 - 2014-01-29 21:30:04 UTC
La Nariz wrote:
Ezra Blade Blade wrote:
Esha Ditrix wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Fox News's

you should just turn your TV, OFF !

EDIT:
or close your browser or what ever :)

Better than CNN propagandashenanigans

Both are scientifically proven to cause stupidity and brain cancer, don't watch either.

As they say, "Working as intended."
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#46 - 2014-01-29 23:20:27 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Billy McCandless wrote:
Tuttomenui II wrote:
an exchange rate cant work one way.

u oviossly never wen on holladay

Or got married.

KM or it dint happen

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Arancar Australis
Dead Sun Rising Enterprises
#47 - 2014-01-30 01:56:45 UTC
La Nariz wrote:
Once again nullsec provides something highsec has never been able to provide, community exposure and content.

Well it is good to see that Null can be useful from time to time, istead of leeching off the toil of the dedicated Hi Secers...keep up the good work.

Roll
Yonis Kador
KADORCORP
#48 - 2014-01-30 04:54:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Yonis Kador
For the record, guys, that one AP article linked in the OP was also picked up by:

Yahoo news, ABC news, Fox news, MSN, The Washington Post, IGN, PC Gamer, Intl. Business Times UK, News.com, Kotaku, Neoseeker, Joystiq, Eurogamer, the Escapist, and a slew of local, smaller or subsidiary publications....just dozens from all over the earth, like...

The Toledo Blade, San Jose Mercury News, Lazygamer, SegmentNext News, The Province, Zam News, Geek, 680 News, News 1130, Daily Telegraph, iAfrica, Complex.com, Charleston Post Courier, Sydney Morning Herald, Seattle Times, Anchorage Daily News, Tuscaloosa News, Dallas Morning News, Worchester Telegram, KCTV Kansas City, Newson6 Tulsa,OK, thegamereviews, pcgamesn, KTVN Reno NV, WFSB Connecticut, WBOC Delmarva

which were the highlights of the list at DT 24 hrs after the battle concluded. When I went to bed, some 89-90 news outlets were carrying the story of B-R at a minimum. In the 24 hours since (today) the number of news outlets with a fresh EVE Online news story has more than doubled to at least 192 with new additions to the list from BBC News, Irish Independent, Sacramento Bee, The Verge, Gaming Bits, Daily Caller, The Australian, New Zealand Herald, on and on (I'm not listing all 200)

In fact, fresh stories continue to be written at this very moment as tales of this massive, historic brawl are still being told. A new Forbes article hit the web just 6 hrs ago:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/29/massive-eve-online-battle-could-cost-500000-in-real-money/

For me, as a fanboy observer, I've found monitoring the global spread of news of the battle afterward almost as exciting as the battle itself. Tomorrow, no doubt, more publications still will be added to the growing list of those writing about EVE Online this week. This event was recorded globally and when you really think about it, that's pretty phenomenal.

Anyway, since I've been monitoring this somewhat, I thought I'd chime in here.

YK
Mel Lifera
#49 - 2014-01-30 05:39:55 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Tuttomenui II wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
And like most filler pieces by non-gamers, they got most everything wrong.

Nonetheless, I do like seeing EVE hit the mainstream media every once in a while.

Mr Epeen Cool

They seemed to be preoccupied with some imagined exchange rate for real money to isk, and didn't even hit upon time codes and plex. Welcome to modern journalism, its all flash and drama and very little content or fact.

Without that coversion rate, immaginary or not, outsiders cannot correlate with the game and anythign you write or speak about the game has zero value or meaning for those persons. If you want to make news you need to connect the readers to the news.

If I write for example, that here a bank was stolen in 1992 and 5 million cruseiros (our coin back then) were stolen.. what woudl you think?

You have no idea if that is relevant or not.. well just for the sake of completing the example, 5 million cruseiros could buy an ice cream.. a small one...

Yes, except that 5 million "cruseiros", however small or large an amount of actual money compared to a dollar (for instance), is still an amount of actual money, whereas ISK is not.

If the price of clarifying the fact that, no, $300,000 worth of anything was NOT "destroyed" in this EVE Online battle, turns out to be that a gazillion news outlets decide not to pick up a vastly misleading AP article I would not be sad about the lack of coverage. If an event is so intrinsically not-interesting to the public at large that you have to add misinformation in order to justify releasing it as a "news article", it's time to find something else to write an article about.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#50 - 2014-01-30 06:38:14 UTC
Yonis Kador wrote:
For the record, guys, that one AP article linked in the OP was also picked up by:
Nice bit of research there. Thanks!

Quote:
Anyway, since I've been monitoring this somewhat...
Ya don't say? Lol

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Previous page123