These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

What to do in a Corporation?

Author
Atikisium Darwin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-01-19 12:23:50 UTC
Hey Guys,

My doubt is quite simple.

Why to join a Corporation and what are the benefits and responsibilities upon joining?

Thanks.
Atikisium
Haedonism Bot
Revolutionary Front
#2 - 2014-01-19 12:38:02 UTC
The main reason to join a corporation is that EVE is a multiplayer game, and all the most fun content is for groups of people. You can PvP together, mine together, whatever - work towards common goals. It is fun just to be part of something with a community of people.

The benefits and responsibilities vary widely from one corporation to the next. That is something you want to ask when you have a specific corporation in mind.

www.everevolutionaryfront.blogspot.com

Vote Sabriz Adoudel and Tora Bushido for CSMX. Keep the Evil in EVE!

gfldex
#3 - 2014-01-19 13:27:48 UTC
First there are reason stemming from game mechanics. You need to be in a player corp to use the following options:

- run a player owned structure
- run a customs office
- run/build outposts

There are further plenty of activities that require a wide range of skillpoints. Unless you command an army of alts, a corp will be the only reasonable option if you want to enjoy those activities.

On top of that a good corp will provide you with access to knowledge and (in most cases) trustworthy business opportunities.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#4 - 2014-01-19 14:09:51 UTC
Benefits may include access to POS services, co-operative industry, access to fleets (via the Fleet Finder), a Ship Replacement Program (SRP), corp-restricted contracting, intel on Alliance ops, etc. Responsibilities could include fueling POS, admission to fleets (or commanding them), not being a ****head (very important), train skills for ship doctrines, recruitment efforts, etc.
Oraac Ensor
#5 - 2014-01-19 15:35:16 UTC
Haedonism Bot wrote:
The main reason to join a corporation is that EVE is a multiplayer game, . . .

EVE being a multiplayer game is the factor that makes it possible to join a (player) corporation - it is not a reason for doing so.
Paul Otichoda
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-01-19 15:49:57 UTC
Atikisium Darwin wrote:
responsibilities upon joining?


As so often in this game it depends on the corp and its leadership. Generally of course there is expectation that you won't blag everything about the corp to someone else or steal its entire stockpile of capital ships. But really as a basic member there is little responsibilities.

If you come in to do a job like a POS technician there is the expectation that you will do your job. In this case make sure your corp's tower is kept fuelled.
Keno Skir
#7 - 2014-01-19 15:50:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Keno Skir
Oraac Ensor wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:
The main reason to join a corporation is that EVE is a multiplayer game, . . .

EVE being a multiplayer game is the factor that makes it possible to join a (player) corporation - it is not a reason for doing so.


It is a reason to join one, just not the only reason. Co-operative gameplay can be found inside of a corporate setting but (especially in the beginning) it can be hard to find it outside of one. Being part of a player owned corp can add the sense of identity that really makes the game for many people.
Oraac Ensor
#8 - 2014-01-19 16:02:01 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Oraac Ensor wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:
The main reason to join a corporation is that EVE is a multiplayer game, . . .

EVE being a multiplayer game is the factor that makes it possible to join a (player) corporation - it is not a reason for doing so.


It is a reason to join one, just not the only reason.

Nope. It facilitates all that you say in the rest of your post but it is not of itself a reason for joining a corp.
Haedonism Bot
Revolutionary Front
#9 - 2014-01-19 16:18:34 UTC
Another good reason to join a corporation is that it gets you away from all the parasites who hang around in NPC starter corps and poison the gameplay experience of new players with their terrible advice.

www.everevolutionaryfront.blogspot.com

Vote Sabriz Adoudel and Tora Bushido for CSMX. Keep the Evil in EVE!

Oraac Ensor
#10 - 2014-01-19 16:23:40 UTC
Haedonism Bot wrote:
Another good reason to join a corporation is that it gets you away from all the parasites who hang around in NPC starter corps and poison the gameplay experience of new players with their terrible advice.

And gives them the opportunity to obtain equally terrible advice from misguided corpmates.
Cara Forelli
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#11 - 2014-01-19 16:29:10 UTC
Oraac Ensor wrote:
Haedonism Bot wrote:
Another good reason to join a corporation is that it gets you away from all the parasites who hang around in NPC starter corps and poison the gameplay experience of new players with their terrible advice.

And gives them the opportunity to obtain equally terrible advice from misguided corpmates.


Good and (lots of) bad advice can be found in both npc and player corps. The reason to join a player corp is because they participate in the type of activities you enjoy. Want to do faction warfare? Join a group that does faction warfare. Want to mine and produce drones? Join an industrialist corp. Generally, because they have experience in their chosen path, player corporations will give better advice in their area of expertise and help you grow as a player in what most interests you.

OP check out this guide by NightCrawler 85, which has a great discussion of the pros/cons to joining a corp.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#12 - 2014-01-19 20:06:54 UTC
EVE is a sandbox. The only content is player generated. It is much easier to create and find content with friends.

Fun in EVE comes from interacting with other players, both friends and enemies. It is almost more about the meta game than the actual game of shooting spaceships.

A corporation can also help to educate, and support you in EVE. Of course there are good corps and bad ones, so don't feel you have to stay in a bad one.

Solo you will find EVE a very boring place, and likely cancel your subscription in short order.
Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#13 - 2014-01-19 20:30:21 UTC
Most/all stuff you can do by creating your own personal corp. You can create one per character or join multiple characters to the same corp (good when holding a corp name). From there you can go at it solo, make friends in other corps or other solo corps to co-op with, even join alliances. If you are training alts, it's not a bad way to go with your main ISK making character in your own corp, while your alts go off to fight expensive wars among the big drama loving corps/alliances etc.

—Ω—

Oraac Ensor
#14 - 2014-01-19 20:57:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Oraac Ensor
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Solo you will find EVE a very boring place, and likely cancel your subscription in short order.

Tau, you give an enormous amount of helpful information in this forum and I make a point of reading what you have to say about anything that interests me, so I'm very surprised to see you post this.

How do you know what another person will or will not find boring?

I've been playing for just over two years and have never been in a player corp other than EACS and yet I find EVE anything but boring. I have repeatedly compared the pros and cons of corp membership and can't find anything on the pro side that would outweigh the cons.

But that's just my take on the game - everyone is an individual and will react in their own unique way. Just as in RL, some will find working with others in a group enhances their experience while others, like me, would find it difficult to imagine a worse nightmare.

If, as a very experienced player, you tell a newbie categorically that being in a corp is the only way to enjoy EVE you're not doing him any favours. Suppose he joins a corp but finds that he doesn't like the experience. If he takes your word as gospel he may take the view that if that's the best the game has to offer then he may as well leave, when in fact if he stayed on he may find that he enjoys the solo experience. How does that help either him or the game as a whole?

The OP has asked about the benefits of corp membership - please by all means tell him what you perceive them to be, but don't tell him what he will or will not think.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#15 - 2014-01-19 22:50:20 UTC
One major advantage of joining a corporation is that you can legally shoot your new "friends" anywhere in game, including high security space. Getting accepted into a corporation is like wardeccing them, except there's no 24 hour waiting/warning period, and you don't have to cough up 50 million ISK.

This creates lots of opportunities for profitable ransoms, especially if your new "friends" were not expecting you to knife them in the back.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Oraac Ensor
#16 - 2014-01-19 23:13:21 UTC
One man's major advantage is the next man's major disadvantage. Smile
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-01-19 23:57:27 UTC
Atikisium Darwin wrote:
Hey Guys,

My doubt is quite simple.

Why to join a Corporation and what are the benefits and responsibilities upon joining?

Thanks.
Atikisium


While technically you never HAVE to join a corporation in the first place, being in a corp can have mulitple benefits:


* Be part of a team / community, you can even make good friends among them.
* Receive benefits that can't be gotten from NPC corporations (Player Owned Starbases, Player Owned Custom Offices, joining SOV null-sec).
* Receive benefits from corporation related stuff. With this you should think of for instancE: Ship replacement programs, ore/mineral buy back programs, free hauling, internal salvaging people etc

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Omega Sunset
Black.Omega
#18 - 2014-01-20 00:19:09 UTC
Yeaaahh once you get past your first 90 days, corp or no corp you will stay around if you like the game. You can join a corp on day one and just as well quit the game by your 90'th day. I can play-in/run guilds/corps and I can play soloish, just depends on the person. Sandbox games, you will see lots of people not heavily involved in guilds, or in small guilds, or just solo. It's the progression theme park games that you usually can't enjoy the game at level 98+etc unless you join some mega-guild that does all their grind-fest dailies to get the next glimpse of the pink flying glittery unicorn with a glowy rainbows trailing out of it's rear-end.

—Ω—

Snagletooth Johnson
Snagle Material Services
CAStabouts
#19 - 2014-01-20 00:39:32 UTC
Omega Sunset wrote:
Y.....glimpse of the pink flying glittery unicorn with a glowy rainbows trailing out of it's rear-end.

That would be WoW, in Eve, we call it moon goo. And it is glorious.
Marcus Avon
New Eden Fedo Lovers Society
#20 - 2014-01-20 11:28:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Marcus Avon
Oraac Ensor wrote:
I've been playing for just over two years and have never been in a player corp other than EACS and yet I find EVE anything but boring. I have repeatedly compared the pros and cons of corp membership and can't find anything on the pro side that would outweigh the cons.


Just under 2 months for me and I'm rapidly finding myself falling into this category. It seems pretty obvious how a large corp benefits by recruiting new members but the actual benefit to the individual player is something that still continues to elude me.

In fact I think its possible to argue that membership in a large corp is actually a moderate risk and a minor irritation what with the extra commitments, rules to follow, surrender of your API key and constant war decs. All this in exchange for what exactly?..... beats me.

I have joined a tiny - nothing required - corp for the tax benefits and I think that's about as far as I'm going to go until I can see an obvious benefit in joining a large corp that clearly outweighs the many cons.

I have a feeling though that you and I are in the minority on this so his advice was probably suitable for the vast majority of EVE players.
123Next pageLast page