These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Have Goons become the very thing they hated?? (i.e. BoB)

First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#201 - 2014-01-10 19:48:14 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

It also means that all of the other alliances stand no chance of ever gaining any victory over either of the two superpowers.

But if we removed slowcats, a smaller group would definitely stand a better chance of holding its own against the cfc's typical N+1 strategy, yes?

Some chance is better than none.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#202 - 2014-01-10 19:56:25 UTC
dexington wrote:

Removing the capital power, would just increase power in numbers. The situation would be unchanged, now it would just be the biggest fleet that is invincible.

How is a change from the most expensive blob is invincible to the biggest blob is invincible going to make things better, and please don't tell me it better because CFC has the biggest blob.

The big blob is not invincible. You can wipe out entire fleets in a single bombing run. You can ambush it while it travels. You can have better FCs and fleet formations and beat them with better tactics.

Against the capital blob there is no victory. You cannot kill them and you cannot tank them. There are no tactics or fleet compositions to beat them with subcaps. But most importantly, nobody can build a capital fleet from scratch that could beat the old powers.
Dave Stark
#203 - 2014-01-10 19:57:59 UTC
i feel that this is appropriate.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#204 - 2014-01-10 20:09:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaarous Aldurald
Quote:
The big blob is not invincible. You can wipe out entire fleets in a single bombing run.

I can confirm that, a long time ago, (before this character, even), I killed a lot of you guys with a Stealth Bomber. You just wouldn't kinetic tank your ships back then, it was hilarious.

But that was before Tech got nerfed even. Oh, nostalgia...

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#205 - 2014-01-10 20:11:24 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
i feel that this is appropriate.

This is brilliant.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#206 - 2014-01-10 20:12:54 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
dexington wrote:

Removing the capital power, would just increase power in numbers. The situation would be unchanged, now it would just be the biggest fleet that is invincible.

How is a change from the most expensive blob is invincible to the biggest blob is invincible going to make things better, and please don't tell me it better because CFC has the biggest blob.

The big blob is not invincible. You can wipe out entire fleets in a single bombing run.

This almost happened to our invincible waterboarding domis a few days ago.
If they hadn't ****** up and launched too many bombs (against our highest resist no less) they would have succeeded.

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#207 - 2014-01-10 20:13:01 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

It also means that all of the other alliances stand no chance of ever gaining any victory over either of the two superpowers.

But if we removed slowcats, a smaller group would definitely stand a better chance of holding its own against the cfc's typical N+1 strategy, yes?

Some chance is better than none.

Hmm smaller (compared to CFC fleets anyway) groups of slowcats seem to be doing well enought against your offensive war atm. Why would anyone want to remove that?
knobber Jobbler
State War Academy
Caldari State
#208 - 2014-01-10 20:13:13 UTC

Drone assist sentries is the best mechanic, log in, join fleet, deploy drones, **** off down the pub. By the time I get back its either downtime or the node collapsed. On the rare occasions where I can't go completey AFK I can have some quality world of tanks time, I'm hoping it doesn't get fixed so I can play clan wars and take sov. Its easier than orbiting and pressing F1. Perfect.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#209 - 2014-01-10 20:13:53 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Hmm smaller (compared to CFC fleets anyway) groups of slowcats seem to be doing well enought against your offensive war atm. Why would anyone want to remove that?

Wait until someone tries to attack us, then we'll laugh at the irony when they can't defeat our massive boot fleets.

PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#210 - 2014-01-10 20:17:11 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

This almost happened to our invincible waterboarding domis a few days ago.
If they hadn't ****** up and launched too many bombs (against our highest resist no less) they would have succeeded.

Speaking of bombers, have you tried actually killing the stationary sentries?
Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#211 - 2014-01-10 20:18:03 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

Wait until someone tries to attack us, then we'll laugh at the irony when they can't defeat our massive boot fleets.

I will tear your boot fleets limb from limb, this is me, literally daring you.

Again, if you think they're so invincible, put them on the field and let me show you exactly how wrong you are.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Pinky Hops wrote:

You can kill people while being in a different system, or off grid? Or horribly out of position?

Fascinating.

Implying shooting people is more important than proper positioning.

Please tell me more, wise one.

Sure, we can continue this.

Fleet Command mechanics are a quality of life improvement.

So is drone assign, if you can't see how fleet warping and anchoring helps your fleet members not die and avoid crappy situations through the actions of one singular player then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and by that I mean agree that you are a selfish dude who only wnats things in game that benefit him and his friends.

Malcanis - Without drone assign, the slowcat doctrine will wither and die.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#212 - 2014-01-10 20:23:05 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:

They simply recall them and the handfull that die are replaced from the bay containing thousands more.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#213 - 2014-01-10 20:24:03 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
PotatoOverdose wrote:

It would require an unfeasibly large number of bombers and a very large amount of time under 10% tidi to kill all of a carrier's sentries.

Grath Telkin wrote:

Again, if you think they're so invincible, put them on the field and let me show you exactly how wrong you are.

With what? Titans? Who else but you and your coalition would stand any chance? That's kind of only reinforcing my point.

Grath Telkin wrote:
So is drone assign, if you can't see how fleet warping and anchoring helps your fleet members not die and avoid crappy situations through the actions of one singular player then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and by that I mean agree that you are a selfish dude who only wnats things in game that benefit him and his friends.

You assign drones once and you can shoot anything in control range as long as the drone anchor is still alive.
You have to align every time before fleetwarps or you risk getting left behind and killed.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#214 - 2014-01-10 20:24:22 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

We look forwards to your subcap fleets attacking our cyno jammed systems.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#215 - 2014-01-10 20:24:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaarous Aldurald
Quote:

Nice try, but I'm not a Goon.

As for the rest, James put it fairly well.

Fleet Command mechanics lower every ship using it to the level of the slowest aligning, slowest warping ship(s).

Drone assist, on the other hand, is used to vastly increase the lock speed of all of them by assigning them to the ship stacking targeting modules.

Like I said, there is a whole order of magnitude's difference between the 2. And you know it, I suspect. But you're on the wrong side of history here, as I said earlier. You can't defend a supposed right to deal full dps without actually playing the game. It's the AFK mining of combat.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#216 - 2014-01-10 20:25:04 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

They simply recall them and the handfull that die are replaced from the bay containing thousands more.

I thought all the slowcats were afk? How can someone that is afk possibly recall drones, let alone launch and assist additional flights of drones?
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#217 - 2014-01-10 20:26:31 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
I thought all the slowcats were afk? How can someone that is afk possibly recall drones, let alone launch and assist additional flights of drones?

So what if they aren't? That's hardly central to anyone's arguments.

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#218 - 2014-01-10 20:26:46 UTC
Can't wait for the CCP bailout. The lolz will be epic.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

PotatoOverdose
Caldari State
#219 - 2014-01-10 20:29:31 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

So what if they aren't? That's hardly central to anyone's arguments.

But then why do you guys keep repeating it, in every single thread and news article? Why the deception?Cool

Edit - Gold:
knobber Jobbler wrote:

Drone assist sentries is the best mechanic, log in, join fleet, deploy drones, **** off down the pub. By the time I get back its either downtime or the node collapsed. On the rare occasions where I can't go completey AFK I can have some quality world of tanks time, I'm hoping it doesn't get fixed so I can play clan wars and take sov. Its easier than orbiting and pressing F1. Perfect.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#220 - 2014-01-10 20:32:14 UTC
Because it's still a good point about the mechanic being stupid. You can fight without being there. What an awesome game.